Author Topic: What games made the best use of Streetpass on 3DS?  (Read 7046 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
What games made the best use of Streetpass on 3DS?
« on: February 25, 2020, 02:40:23 AM »
I found Link Between Worlds to be pretty fun while you're playing it but once you've beaten the game and done a few Shadow Link fights it's hard to justify going back to it.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Re: What games made the best use of Streetpass on 3DS?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 08:02:44 AM »
I remember enjoying the StreetPass features in Resident Evil: Revelations quite a bit. You got in-game bonus items and would be challenged to find and defeat the "zombified" remains of the people you passed. It wasn't a huge part of the game by any means, but was entertaining and valuable enough that you always felt good when there was a StreetPass match. (This game also is one of the few that I actually got a bunch of hits for.)

Of course I also enjoyed the StreetPass Plaza puzzles and game... although that dried up pretty quickly in my area (we don't have a big population here). I'm still a bit sore they didn't unlock those @#$% purple pieces eventually so that it would be possible to get all of the dioramas.

One older DS game that I really wish had been remade for 3DS just for the StreetPass feature is Dragon Quest IX. I really liked the idea of swapping maps with other players, but never got to experience it actually happening (because nobody here walks around with a DS in sleep mode, playing that specific game).
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 09:28:35 AM by ejamer »
NNID: ejamer

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 12:13:34 PM »
I really enjoyed Coin Rush in New Super Mario Bros. 2 when I got the chance to use it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 12:46:33 PM »
I liked the StreetPass Plaza stuff. It was interesting enough for me to check out whenever I got some, but wasn't substantial enough for me to feel like I was missing out during the periods of not getting any passes. I also didn't buy any of the extra games, though I did get one for free that I used some.

As far as actual games go, I was never interested in it there. If those features could also work over SpotPass so that I could receive data from my friends list, I would have checked them out from people I actually know.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 05:36:44 PM »
Aside from trying to complete the puzzles the only time I really made good use of street pass was the Bravely Default demo.  There was an exploit to get more villagers or something like that.

The concept was hurt by the fact that aside from intentionally street passing with friends the only time this really worked for me was at video game related events.  If I still go to a retro gaming expo I will get streetpasses but I remember bringing my 3DS with me when going for walks or when I needed to drive somewhere and I would get only a single pass once every 50 times or so I tried it.

Streetpass was something the DS needed, not the 3DS.  The DS had the large casual userbase so it would have been probable to routinely encounter people with them in public.  By the time the 3DS came out the casual audience played portable games on their phones.  Of course when Nintendo designed the 3DS they thought the DS gravy train would keep rolling so they probably thought all these DS owners would upgrade and carry the 3DS around everywhere.  The concept fits the plan, just not the results.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 08:56:01 PM »
I liked the StreetPass Plaza stuff. It was interesting enough for me to check out whenever I got some, but wasn't substantial enough for me to feel like I was missing out during the periods of not getting any passes. I also didn't buy any of the extra games, though I did get one for free that I used some.

As far as actual games go, I was never interested in it there. If those features could also work over SpotPass so that I could receive data from my friends list, I would have checked them out from people I actually know.

I really enjoyed the fishing one. The others were so-so, but I did enjoy them.

I really enjoyed Coin Rush in New Super Mario Bros. 2 when I got the chance to use it.

That's probably the only non-StreetPass Plaza streetpass feature I played a lot of.  I liked it, but didn't get as many passes as I would've liked.

Trying to get picture pieces was actually pretty fun for me as well.  You never know if you'll find someone with that missing piece or just nothing at all.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 09:21:32 PM »
Animal Crossing is a really good one as well. I like how persistent the Happy Home Showcase is as well. It isn't like some games where streetpass functionality is a one or done thing. I believe you can save up to 48 different houses for people you streetpass and you can favorite some of them as well so they don't get over written.

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 02:27:12 PM »
Dragon Quest IX had a map trading system that was really extensive. There were exclusive maps for America and Japan, but I think it was possible to get the Japan maps. They were basically dungeons to get loot and experience, I put in much more time with that game because of the street pass stuff.

Animal Crossing is a second for me because you could order items from the house. I would favorite houses and mine their rooms for stuff I didn’t have.

Honestly Streetpass was a really fun experience, I would enjoy to see it come back in some way.
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 06:40:30 PM »
I’d forgotten about Animal Crossing, that used it great. I was able to get some pieces of furniture I really wanted through that.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2020, 11:53:42 PM »
Dragon Quest IX ...

I wish they had remade this as an actual 3DS game, just so it used proper StreetPass instead of the thing that required you to carry around a DS in sleep mode. The fact you needed to actually meet someone else carrying the same game, also in sleep mode at that time, meant I never got a single hit.

It's a heck of a game though. Truly awesome DS exclusive.

Honestly Streetpass was a really fun experience, I would enjoy to see it come back in some way.

Agreed all around.
NNID: ejamer

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2020, 05:54:28 PM »
Another thing with Animal Crossing is that if you have a villager moving out and you streetpass someone with an open villager spot that villager will actually move to that person's town

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2020, 05:51:02 PM »
Dragon Quest IX ...

I wish they had remade this as an actual 3DS game, just so it used proper StreetPass instead of the thing that required you to carry around a DS in sleep mode. The fact you needed to actually meet someone else carrying the same game, also in sleep mode at that time, meant I never got a single hit.

It's a heck of a game though. Truly awesome DS exclusive.

The World Ends With You also had a similar feature, but thankfully it could also receive signals from other wireless devices and it would give you some small boosts for that, but the real meaty bonuses were from walking by another person with the same game running in DS sleep mode.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast