Author Topic: Episode 587: Lindemann and the Stolen Picnic  (Read 2047 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Episode 587: Lindemann and the Stolen Picnic
« on: September 02, 2018, 12:18:53 PM »

Sometimes the name of the game is the game of the names.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/48204/episode-587-lindemann-and-the-stolen-picnic

The whole family is back together this week, and things are immediately disastrous, but it's fine. This week, Greg starts New Business with The Messenger, a Ninja Gaiden-inspired indie game that NWR recently awarded it's highest possible score. He too is greatly enjoying this, the latest in a long line of great indie games on Switch. James has yet another review, God Wars: Future Past and he struggles so much for something interesting to say he resorts to making guttural noises. Guillaume is likewise bored with The Alliance Alive. Legend of Legacy showed promise but the necessary growth just isn't here. Instead he takes a look at Dead Cells, and like Jon he thinks being dead feels really good. Lastly, Jon tells us about digging through his gaming history back home and then digs through some RFN history with legendary shooter Ikaruga.

After the break we knock-out a duo of Listener Mail: pair a Nintendo franchise with the system it missed, and does box art still matter. You can release your next game on the Boom Blox system by sending us an email.

Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Re: Episode 587: Lindemann and the Stolen Picnic
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 08:57:17 PM »
This is the game that James referred to that riffs on the 1986 World Cup handball.

And now I want to send a copy to JP for review.

ETA: James, Ogre Battle on GBA would probably look like a better version of the NeoGeo Pocket Color game if they just didn't straight port the SNES game over.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 09:11:43 PM by Shaymin »
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 12:38:34 PM »
I think box art is still very important, it's just the art for the image boxes in the digital stores. With the big flood of digital releases on all platforms it's important for a game to look appealing in the big listing so people actually click on it to see the game's actual sales pitch.

Oh and count me as another victim of that Game Boy Yoshi game (called Mario & Yoshi here).

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 06:17:44 AM »
Oh man I bought so many games based on box art, tv/film licenses I enjoyed/recognised, or based on nothing but hype from games magazines.

Notable examples:
- V-Rally for original Gameboy is complete crap, but the cover is super cool.
- Rainbow Six: Lone Wolf was cheap cash-grab to follow the success of the original Rainbow Six on PS1. It's a 5 or 6 level game with 1 character instead of 9, a single piece of music that only plays during menus, and eyestraining graphics. Absolutely awful, but SOMEHOW I was convinced it must have been tense and exciting based on nothing but the cover.
- Mortal Kombat V: Deadly Alliance for GC was hyped by the mag I read for months. Stupidly I bought into this for some reason, despite being awful at fighting games and disliking the art style clearly on display in the magazine haha.

EDIT: Conversely, if games have hideous icons in download stores, I tend to pass on them. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 comes to mind in particular here.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 06:19:50 AM by Steefosaurus »

Offline MASB

• "The game's afoot, Watson!" "You're standing on mine, Holmes!"
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 05:50:12 AM »
Boxart was important, but as a kid, I think the single screenshot and short description you'd read in the Sears or JCPenney Wishbook catalogs during the Christmas season, had a bigger effect on what games I wanted. Somehow, I managed not to ask for a bad game during that time. Remarkable considering how little info I had to work with.

Maybe RFN should have a RetroActive of Bases Loaded: The Second Season. :p I came to know the behavior of the CPU players so well that it became very hard to lose after awhile.

I think boxart will continue to be important (though diminished compared to the 80s and 90s) as long as games have a retail prescence. Not to mention KDR_11k's point that they are still used for digital storefronts.

Offline Kobeskillz

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2018, 10:19:49 PM »
I’ve put in 60+ hours in nba2k on switch. How is it still not good???!?

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2018, 03:46:33 PM »
I’ve put in 60+ hours in nba2k on switch. How is it still not good???!?

Weren't they talking about that WWE 2k18 game though? That one got a lot of negative press, NWR's review scored it 3/10 for example. Might have misheard of course, but I think that's the game they meant. NBA 2k18 might have caught some flack for the virtual currency maybe, but it was received muuuuch more favourably than this year's 2k wrestling game.

Offline Kobeskillz

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 11:32:59 AM »
Ahh my bad if it was WWE. I heard 2K and i thought it was NBA. That was a great port.

Yeah WWE Sucked big time.