Author Topic: Another Change at the Top  (Read 2566 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Another Change at the Top
« on: February 02, 2018, 02:00:00 AM »

All hail our new Star Fox-loving overlord.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/sitenews/46349/another-change-at-the-top

Last week, I noticed that it was seven years to the day since I first became Director of Nintendo World Report. That was before the 3DS came out. The Wii U was nothing but the glimmer of Project Cafe rumors. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword still wasn’t out yet despite being first shown two years prior. I could go outside the world of video games and roll down a massive list of things that were so very different seven years ago. Personally, things have changed a lot as well. In 2011, I was less than a year out of college. I’m pretty sure I still lived with my parents. Now I’ve been married for the better part of a decade and I’m expecting my first child in the summer. That passage of time and the changes in my own life are the major reasons why I’m stepping down as Director of Nintendo World Report.

Effective more or less immediately, John Rairdin will be the Director of Nintendo World Report. As a matter of fact, he’s been settling into the role over the past few weeks. For those who might not know John, he’s responsible for a lot of amazing content on our YouTube channel and has been a dear part of the site since we re-launched our YouTube presence as NWRTV in 2014. Dude’s a wizard and if you haven’t checked out his specific content yet, you’re missing out. Fortunately, going forward, his hands will be in a lot more stuff here.

It’ll be a period of transition as John gets acclimated, and I’ll let him discuss the finer points of that. From talking with him over the past few months, I’m positively giddy to see him execute on his ideas, goals, and plans. I could fill up a few more paragraphs with pleasantries about him. I’ll keep a couple cued up for later use.

You haven’t seen the last of me at NWR, though. I’ll still be hanging around as the site’s Reviews Editor. I still plan on being very active for the next few months. You just might see me ghost a little bit when my baby comes.

I’m so proud of everything I’ve done as Director the past seven years. We have an amazing team of brilliant and determined volunteers that keep this site running and I love each and every one of them. I’m also very thankful for you - the NWR community - who have been a shining light in the relative darkness of broader games culture the past few years. Lastly, I never would have been in the position to run the site if it weren’t for the folks before me, like Billy Berghammer, Jonathan Metts, Steven Rodriguez, and Jon Lindemann. If Lindemann never gave the overambitious bored college kid the rope that he did, there’s no way I’d even be in this position now. And I’ve also got the longest-tenured Director title on lockdown, basically doubling how long Jonny Metts ran the site.

Anyway, I’m running out of things to say without getting overly sappy and sentimental. Let’s all support John Rairdin and the bright, beautiful NWR future he will preside over. After all, we only have about a year until this little Nintendo site turns 20.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Another Change at the Top
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 10:11:24 AM »
I registered on the forums in August 2011, so you've been the only director I known in my time at this site. Thanks for all the great work!
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 10:17:09 AM »
Thanks for the years, Neal! It was good times.  Best of luck with life and the baby!
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline MrPanda

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • Mr. Panda's Video Game Reviews
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 10:28:37 AM »
Thank you for all of your excellent work as site director, Neal! I wish you and your family the best with the baby! And congratulations to John on his new role! I, for one, welcome our new Star Fox-loving overlord.
My Nintendo Reviews YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/mrpanda2002

Mr. Panda's Video Game Reviews: http://mrpanda2002.wordpress.com/

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 10:54:24 AM »
Thanks for the memories Neal. Have a wonderful life with your wife and child!!!
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 02:20:25 PM »
Same deal as Soren, Neal. The thing that actually brought me to NintendoWorldReport was a video of you where you got in at a Nintendo 3DS Preview event. yours was the only era of this site I knew.

I really mean it from the bottom of my heart when I say... thank you for your service. Thank you for telling James Jones to stop being funny.

I think John will do a fine job as our new directorial overlord. The fact that he is so savvy in multimedia could mean a bold new direction for NintendoWorldReport. oooooooooooor it could mean business as usual. we'll see what path the site takes under this burgeoning new leadership.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 03:07:46 PM »
Congrats to you and your fam on the new little one! Now bring on Star Fox World Report! :mario:
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 05:15:36 PM »
With the news of Neal's baby on the way, I was wondering if this was going to happen.

I may have only started using NWR in 2015, but I has noticed how good Neal was for the site. Podcasts are what brought me here and I definitely liked hearing Neal on any of them.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 05:22:28 PM »
Neal's the one who hired me to the NWR staff almost seven years ago, and I'd forgotten how early in his tenure that was. If that had gone poorly it could have put a stain on his reputation, but thankfully it worked out and I became the beloved forum overlord I am today, and Neal went on to be I think the best Director the site has ever had.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 09:54:52 AM »
*Standing ovation for Neal's dedication and hard work over many years*

NNID: ejamer

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 10:28:58 AM »
I think this will be my fourth site director, which is kind of stultifying.

I don't know if I ever stated this publicly, but I applied for the post but man I'm glad Neal got the job over me.

A: it would have been the most beautiful train wreck - ending in me firing Jon just for giggles
B: I did not anticipate how difficult this job would be, how hard Nintendo's coming lean-times would make it, or how hard a successful site director would have to work to pull it together.

I doubt Neal could have known either, but he sure did it. What makes it to the site is really only a part of running this thing. There are "business" things that you can't see from the outside, that even much of the staff is insulated from, that are quite literally existential.

Training, hiring, and maintaining a staff we can't pay
Planning coverage for major events
Getting exposure for the site
Trying to run a mostly-written website from the late 90s in 2018

I've seen the difference between an engaged and a disengaged site director. NWR does not make it to 2018 without its staff, and its staff is a reflection of the people putting it together. Besides a few hold-outs like myself, that effort was lead by Neal.

Congrats.

I'm going to go write Nintendo Downloads
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 11:21:05 AM »
Neal's the one who hired me to the NWR staff almost seven years ago, and I'd forgotten how early in his tenure that was. If that had gone poorly it could have put a stain on his reputation, but thankfully it worked out and I became the beloved forum overlord I am today, and Neal went on to be I think the best Director the site has ever had.

Always have to make it about you ;)

how hard Nintendo's coming lean-times would make it, or how hard a successful site director would have to work to pull it together.

2010 was really the Wii's last big year. Sure, Skyward Sword and Xenoblade Chronicles would come out after but the public was growing disinterested in the Wii at that point and the craze for the system had now worn off. At least there was the and the 3DS's "Peak Year" to be hyped about but Nintendo did make it hard to keep a website running around them during most of Neal's tenure. Poor guy. Now that the Switch has come along and Nintendo's booming again making for perhaps an easier job in creating content, he's got family responsibilities and has to step down. I suppose he was able to get Nintendo back on track even if it took 6 years or so to do it. With his mission successful, what else was did he need to be Director for?

Thanks for keeping things fresh and keeping the site still vital in the changing information landscape. :)

But please finish your 3DS Through The Ages retrospective at some point.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 12:00:16 PM »
Thanks for all your hard work, Neal! Nintendo World Report has been a source of great enjoyment for me since I found the site a few years ago, and I'm super glad that a site and a community like this one can continue to thrive. Your work is truly appreciated, man, and I'm glad to hear that you'll still be sticking around in significant role for a while yet.

Best of luck to you and your family!