Author Topic: Splatoon 2  (Read 24922 times)

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Splatoon 2
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2017, 02:35:42 PM »

720p docked, dynamic resolution undocked sometimes going down to the 548p range. Image quality has been sacrificed for strict 60 FPS performance although it's a bit disappointing to see this game not being able to get to 1080p for docked games.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2017, 02:53:00 PM »
Hopefully, going with standard parts will allow for fast (bi-yearly?) iterative upgrades that allow compatibility back a few generations.  For a first gen product, I am happy with the Switch.  1080p does make a big difference on a large TV, though.  I thought my projector was out of focus when I first went into the Switch menus.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2017, 09:20:50 AM »
I liked the demo a lot but the maps really didn't do much for me. Both of them felt very similar and the Reef just felt like a slight reworking of Urchin Underpass  I was surprised by how much stuff you couldn't ink also.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2017, 01:18:11 PM »
I was surprised by how much stuff you couldn't ink also.

I noticed that too.  Thought a lot of the un-inkable things were oddly placed as well. 

Hoping at least single player is 1080p, but the 60fps online even in handheld mode is great news.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 01:26:17 PM by nickmitch »
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2017, 02:05:30 PM »
I think the ability to overwhelm all the way to a spawn point in the original Splatoon is one of the reasons there are so many un-inkable spots. Although the Reef is such a small stage that it feels like you can't double back without doing super jumps.

I don't like the Reef at all.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2017, 07:40:26 PM »
The third new stage for Splatoon 2 is Starfish Mainstage!

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2017, 09:39:22 PM »
All these new stages look pretty bland so far.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2017, 09:10:53 AM »
I dunno.  I really like how the stages look and feel like something that fits in the Splatoon World.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2017, 06:10:51 PM »
I dunno.  I really like how the stages look and feel like something that fits in the Splatoon World.

I agree with Starfish Mainstage totally feeling like that. I'd like to see a video of it, but I think it looks more promising than the two stages in the GT.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2017, 11:52:53 PM »
I voted for Marie, but with all this drama, CALLIE BETTER NOT HAVE WENT EVIL

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2017, 09:49:13 AM »
I'm genuinely worried about her now.

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2017, 08:56:19 AM »
Look at this ridiculous, convoluted solution for voice chat on Splatoon, which is only for private matchmaking since Nintendo still won't open it up to the entire game even when they'll be charging for online in a few month.

http://kotaku.com/splatoon-2-voice-chat-set-up-looks-totally-bonkers-1795715941

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2017, 09:12:05 AM »
Here's the offensive image in question:

You plug this device into your Switch and your phone and it combines the audio feeds into your headset.

Apparently, the cables involved are quite short, but maybe you could buy longer cables as they look like 35mm aux cords.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2017, 07:55:06 AM »
Is Splatoon 1 still online?  I have the game, but there was a long time when I couldn't play it.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2017, 08:34:51 AM »
Yup, its still online.

I'd like to get some mileage out of it before picking up #2, so I'll be looking to play once school is out next week.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2017, 08:56:03 AM »
Splatoon's very active still yeah, I wonder how much of its users will instantly upgrade once the sequel gets released.

Has there been any news on how long Nintendo is intending to support Wii U online games? I'm assuming Mario Kart 8, Splatoon, Sm4sh, Pokkén Tournament and Mario Maker are the most active communities. Maybe at some point, if most of those have sequels on Switch it's gonna be tempting for them to kill some servers? There's no real precedent for it, since Wii was run through GameSpy.

I'd expect them to keep the eShop up for many years, as with Wii and DSi. But something like Miiverse? That costs them moderators and such besides upkeep. Would shuttering it lead to problems with software? Like, would the Splatoon square be empty? Do Yoshi, New Mario Bros, 3D World lose those on-map avatars? What about Wind Waker's bottles, or especially Affordable Space Adventures?
I guess they wouldn't be impacted too much - presumably all these games were built with the expectation that not all users would ever connect their devices to wifi, but I'm not sure really.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2017, 11:22:08 AM »
I'd like to imagine a scenario where Nintendo, in planning to close down Miiverse, removes the moderators but leaves the ability to post up for a while.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2017, 02:36:40 PM »
I'd imagine that it would stay online in a read-only manner for games that display that information, and you just couldn't create new posts. The only reason Wii/DS went down was because they went through a 3rd-party service that closed.

I wonder if the new online will have a Miiverse replacement and when that launches next year they'll migrate the Miiverse support team over to that platform.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2017, 03:32:26 PM »
I wonder if the new online will have a Miiverse replacement and when that launches next year they'll migrate the Miiverse support team over to that platform.

Seems unlikely, no? The whole purpose of making a share button surely is to get integration with regular social networks? I imagine a pitfall for Miiverse is that all your playerhype is contained to a place accessible only to players. Ideally as a company you want people to drop Mario Kart screenshots on Twitter, so their Switchless friends get to see all the fun they're missing out on.

Wonder what they'll fill the new Splatoon plaza with though, I liked all the player avatars with Miiverse drawings and posts. People could take selfie screenshots with other Miiverse friends, so there's an incentive to look cool and use the avatar customisation stuff you keep unlocking.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2017, 06:57:38 PM »
I'd like to get some mileage out of it before picking up #2, so I'll be looking to play once school is out next week.
I actually still play from time to time, so let me know if you're looking for a teamie.

Has there been any news on how long Nintendo is intending to support Wii U online games?
I don't think they've commented on it, but given the low popularity of Wii U and the upcoming paid service for the Switch, I'm counting on the Wii U service not going beyond 2018. It wouldn't surprise me if they shut it down when the paid service starts, as they don't want people to keep playing the free service.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2017, 03:56:09 AM »
For some reason my network started working with Splatoon, even if it's still spotty. Weirdly it works better in wifi mode and doesn't work in LAN wired mode at all... But hey -- i got to level 4 and have at least an opportunity to even see what's Salmon Run is about.

I felt it was only appropriate that i played Splatoon in a bathtub. Obviously i wasn't gonna risk holding the switch over water so i put it nearby and used pro controller. Doing 2 things at once, yay.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2017, 12:39:38 AM »
Finally dinged level 10 in Splatoon 2. It seemed to take longer than in the original Splatoon. Maybe it's because I keep getting distracted by Salmon Run.

this is probably a dumb question, but how do I get ability chunks?

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2017, 09:12:16 PM »
I think you can get some when you re-roll a fully equipped piece of gear.

But if you figure any other ways, let me know.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2017, 02:13:49 PM »
Marina is, no joke, an evil character. She constantly insults Pearl, who is just a child,  and now she want to rob banks and creep-watch people "ink their splatzones"