Author Topic: Splatoon 2  (Read 25094 times)

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
Splatoon 2
« on: February 12, 2017, 06:02:53 AM »
Nintendo just announced that Splatoon 2 will be getting a Global Testfire in March! I guess we should have expected this, in hindsight, but it's certainly a pleasant surprise.

There are six rounds that will last one hour each, like the Global Testfire for the original game, with the start times currently planned as follows:

March 24

12 PM pacific (3 PM eastern)
8 PM pacific (11 PM eastern)

March 25

4 AM pacific (7 AM eastern)
12 PM pacific (3 PM estern)
8 PM pacific (11 PM eastern)

March 26

4 AM pacific (7 AM eastern)

I don't expect to be done with Zelda by that weekend... but I'm down for at least four of those rounds. Watching that preview video has me super excited!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 06:07:47 AM by Oedo »

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Splatoon 2
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2017, 08:50:29 AM »
I hate the hourly play time deals. I'll probably be able to only do one or two of them. Just do a normal beta and let us play all weekend.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2017, 12:31:18 PM »
Seriously.  Let the whole weekend be open.  I can do maybe 2 of those, but I don't see myself being up at 7am to play videogames (or do much of anything on the weekend).

At least Splatoon2 LAN parties were confirmed.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Online Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 01:36:40 PM »
Global Testfires are not only a great way to acclimate players new and old to the combat in the game, but they're also an excellent form of advertising for ANY online game.

Nintendo should do this for any future online games. coughARMScough It's just good publicity.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 03:07:21 PM »
Seriously.  Let the whole weekend be open.  I can do maybe 2 of those, but I don't see myself being up at 7am to play videogames (or do much of anything on the weekend).

At least Splatoon2 LAN parties were confirmed.

Don't know if this is a fact, but aren't these only an hour to be a stress test for their servers? Having as many people as possible on at one time would be a great test. I think that was the explanation for the original Splatoon's test things.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 03:23:24 PM »
That makes a lot of sense actually.

Offline Oedo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 05:37:08 PM »
The GT download is live on the North American and Japanese eShops. Can't do much in it right now, obviously, but they do have the awesome music from the reveal trailer playing when you open it!

Offline Oedo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 05:12:57 PM »
Ahead of the GT tomorrow, Nintendo has released some videos for the weapons that are going to be available. I won't post all of them, since there are a lot (you can see the main weapons and the new subweapon here), but here are the special weapons (which are all new in this game):

The Splashdown looks ridiculously powerful when you consider the fact that you can use it during a Super Jump, especially in a mode like Tower Control (assuming they bring it back, which I hope they do). I guess you could kind of do the same thing with the Kraken special weapon in the first game, but you actually had to be in contact with the opponent and hit a button to splat them in that case. It seems like you just have to be in the vicinity of the Splashdown to get splatted by it once it's activated. I'm sure there will be ways around it though.

There's also going to be a Nintendo Treehouse stream of the GT tomorrow starting at 12 PM pacific/3 PM eastern. Maybe they'll get bodied by an NWR forum poster, live on camera!

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 04:33:55 PM »
Any one get a chance to play in the first testfire?  I didn't, but I plan to be on tonight.

Impressions I saw on twitter seemed very positive with people having trouble adjusting to the jump button because Zelda.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 04:57:00 PM »
I played about half an hour during it, though the first part of that I kept getting disconnected, which I'm 90% sure was on my end because once I switched a couple things it worked fine. Now admittedly, I never really got that into the first game despite owning it, and I still don't know how to do basic things like use special abilities and subweapons, but I enjoyed my time today. The solution for auto-jumping to teammates might actually be better than the way it worked on Wii U.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 09:48:17 PM »
I'm assuming that because of the small number of units available that we'll be playing with users from all regions, right? Hated getting into a match full of Japanese players in the original game because it never seemed like much of a fair fight.

Offline Oedo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 12:22:59 AM »
Well, that was fun! Honestly, I don't think these two new stages are great (and hope that they aren't indicative of Nintendo's overall design philosophy with the new maps), and was a bigger fan of the ranked game modes than Turf War in the original game, but the core gameplay behind Splatoon is still so darn great that the hour I played in the afternoon felt like it flew by. I'm hoping to hit the two later sessions tomorrow as well.

Also, I think the Pro Controller is going to be necessary for this game. The triggers and the layout on the Joy-Con aren't bad, but I think the small face buttons and the tiny analog sticks are a tough match for the gameplay. Hopefully Nintendo sorts out their supply issues between now and the release of this game. They really ought to do a Pro Controller bundle.

Any one get a chance to play in the first testfire?  I didn't, but I plan to be on tonight.

Impressions I saw on twitter seemed very positive with people having trouble adjusting to the jump button because Zelda.

I had trouble adjusting to the jump button, but I felt it was more because the original game had it mapped to the X button (and less because of Zelda). The controls are so similar to the original game that muscle memory is naturally going to kick in, and for the first few games I kept getting the map when I meant to jump. I got used to it pretty quickly though.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2017, 12:24:26 AM »
Played in both Testfires so far.

I played both with LAN wired connection and with wireless wifi in portable mode and it worked fine. Because of temporary circumstances i have two ISP services at my home and it worked good on either.

Game looks much better and overall it feels faster and more responsive.

Button placement is the first thing you notice after getting used to first game's let's say unorthodox layout. But i think it's for the better especially because camera re-center button is now easier to access which allows for easier 180 turns on the spot.

Charged rifles seem like got a boost because you can cover even more ground with them by putting down long stripes of ink down with full charges. I even managed to hit few people with it.

Rollers seem like are even more slow and awkward than in the first game but i like the new vertical splash move.

Dualies are a big changer with their dodge move and with their special move that basically allows to fly over enemy's spawn base.

Splatoon 2 looks to be amazing.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2017, 04:15:46 AM »
Hopped in to the Testfire tonight and had fun.

- I kept trying to jump with X like Zelda.
- I kinda missed having the map on the touchscreen of the WiiU pad, but having it on a hot button wasn't terrible.
- The motion controls seemed more sensitive than on the Wii U, but that could be a difference in controllers.
- Does the ink refill faster? It seemed faster to me.
- Player movement seems a little slower.
- The graphics are nicely tuned up. The textures are sharper and the draw distance seems better.
- What resolution is the game running at?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2017, 01:36:17 PM »
X was the jump button in the original game. What button is it now?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2017, 02:10:59 PM »
Why couldn't they let the testfire run for a full day/days like normal game demos/betas? Hate the odd times as I have to miss most of them due to work/life.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2017, 02:45:23 PM »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2017, 03:06:24 PM »
Why couldn't they let the testfire run for a full day/days like normal game demos/betas? Hate the odd times as I have to miss most of them due to work/life.

They want to test how the servers respond to high numbers of players, and this way they funnel as many people into it at the same time as possible.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2017, 03:14:47 PM »
Took me ~15min to get on last night.  On track to take the same amount of time now.

Guess the servers can't handle the stress?

EDIT: Tried for ~40min and got nowhere.  Even plugged in my LAN adapter. :(
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 05:03:50 PM by nickmitch »

Offline Soren

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2017, 03:48:49 PM »
If it truly is a stress test then I hope it's not the only one. There's the pontential that the number of Switches out in the wild doubles by the time the game comes out. I don't doubt Nintendo's preparedness but I think this is more a promotional thing than anything else. It's coming at just the right time when people are starting to get the itch to play something other than Zelda on the Switch.

Offline Oedo

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2017, 07:53:44 PM »
X was the jump button in the original game. What button is it now?

It's the B button now. The X button brings up the map.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2017, 10:26:04 AM »
Played a couple of rounds. Was the same old fun. I kinda wish I didn't splurge on the original last Summer considering how little I have put into it at this point.

Of course I will get this one since it will have better local multiplayer options.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2017, 10:38:23 AM »
I got to play last night. My first time ever playing Splatoon. Fun game. I also had a hard time with jump. I kept wanting to hit x, so I ended up with the map up a lot of the time. smh.

Online Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2017, 08:03:00 PM »
Impressions:

Alas, fair Gyro, I knew thee well.

The difference between playing with the Gamepad Gyro and JoyCon Grip Gyro (I don't know about the Pro Controller because Nintendo is stupid) is immense, and honestly ruins Gyro aiming. The Gamepad was this hulking thing, so twisting it to aim left and right made no sense, but you also weren't likely to do that, anyway. The JoyCon Gyro just feels hyper sensitive and schizophrenic, I only got used to steadily aiming three or four matches in, but it still didn't feel right. I might have to give traditional aiming a try, but I did make some precision shots that were assisted by Gyro. If there's some sensitivity options, I might find some sort of compromise.

The new button layout is terrible. It doesn't feel natural, and the map is just so bad (and it moves with Gyro input, who thought THAT was a good idea?). Resetting the camera, a frequent aspect of playing with Gyro, is clumsy and awkward. I got used to using B to jump, eventually.

I get the impression that the main focus of Splatootie was to make the game faster- specials seem to charge up much more quickly, and I found myself able to spam mines and bombs more reliably. As for specials, they're pretty... mediocre? I mean, the Tenta Missile is just the worst thing ever for the two stages they showcased, and I ended up getting caught on all sorts of obstacles and weird things with the jetpack. However, the Tenta Missiles just suck as an offensive weapon because they rarely actually hit anything and their ink spread is terrible. Another reason I feel the objective was to speed the game up is the vulnerability of both of those specials. I was able to kill people reliably when they used the jetpack, and was consistently killed when using Tenta Missiles. The strategy they offered for its use- find high ground so you can target everything- is not viable, especially on the two stages from the Testfire, and that also requires a player backtracking and potentially losing ground. The only special that seemed remotely dangerous and effective was the Splash Down. Great offensive move, and an amazing defensive option for super jumps (and likely the only reason to pull up the map or super jump anymore). I got killed by a number of them, which seemed to be the only way rollers could successfully nab a kill on me.

I played with the Splattershot and the Splat Dualies, because Rollers suck (and still do), and I don't like the Charger play style, even though they now seem pretty broken. I liked the Splat Dualies and would definitely like some extended practice using the dash move, as it adds to the previously mentioned speed and momentum of the matches. Ultimately, I think that, if they want to make Splatootie still about covering turf, they need to add some vertical design to the stages, because without a reliable and safe way to look at the map, you need to be able to tell what areas need attention more often. I don't have a problem with them trying to make the game faster, I just hope some of the other specials are better than those on display, and that they actually help with momentum and ebb and flow. All in all, a flawed experience, but maybe I need some time to adjust to the changes in order to "git gud"
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2017, 09:21:40 PM »
I got into the 11pm (est) testfire last night much more easily than the other times.  Might have been the reset I was able to do to my Switch.

Game is still as fun as ever, but the gyro control are tough to adjust to.  The constant resetting was. . .meh.  I liked the new weapons.  The Jet Pack special took some getting used to, and I never really felt effective with it.

Super excited for the full game.