Author Topic: Episode 430: Dad Humor Overload  (Read 11506 times)

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 430: Dad Humor Overload
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2015, 11:07:41 PM »
Are we really bitching about Pro Controller support over... idk... Voice Chat???
Too bad. You missed the train of No Voice Chat. The train of No Pro Controller is what's in!

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2015, 11:18:55 PM »
"Look, all we want is a game that

1) supports the Wii U gamepad and the in a big and meaningful way that is integral to the experience.

2) supports off tv play, meaning the game can be played on one screen
   -It also needs to support the Wii U Pro Controller, but not the classic controller of course because screw those guys.

These two ideas are clearly, in no way, shape, or form, at odds with eachother"

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2015, 11:31:20 PM »
The real problem is lack of wii pointer control option.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2015, 11:53:00 PM »
Naw, Naw, what splatoon really needs is support for the NES Zapper :smug:

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2015, 11:57:19 PM »
If I wanted a weekly argument with Gui, I know how to get it.
Hey now, what are you implying.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2015, 07:33:55 AM »
Boy, that escalated quickly.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Oedo

• This title is an insult!
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2015, 09:30:44 AM »
"Look, all we want is a game that

1) supports the Wii U gamepad and the in a big and meaningful way that is integral to the experience.

2) supports off tv play, meaning the game can be played on one screen
   -It also needs to support the Wii U Pro Controller, but not the classic controller of course because screw those guys.

These two ideas are clearly, in no way, shape, or form, at odds with eachother"

That strawman falls apart when you consider the fact that the people asking for meaningful Gamepad implementation aren't necessarily the same people who want Pro Controller support online in a game like a Splatoon. Or when you consider the fact that it's blatantly obvious how you could implement Pro Controller support online (despite the Gamepad being integrated well), or use both at the same time. Meaningful Gamepad implementation and Pro Controller support are by no means mutually exclusive.

Like I said, lack of Pro Controller support online alone isn't a big deal to me. I'm not going to skip this game over a lack of Pro Controller support. But it's the newest addition on a growing list of curious omissions and at some point people are inevitably going to start questioning it, or wondering what's next.

Offline Kobeskillz

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2015, 11:56:59 AM »
If I wanted a weekly argument with Gui, I know how to get it. I will point out that I asked listeners to go back to my E3 impressions - which were very high. The game still mechanically plays well.

I think the "control choice is a developer decision" is a fine point, but the devs opened the door by saying it will support offline multiplayer. Explicitly stated, the game already already DOES have Pro support in some contexts. I can see why people want to play with the Pro Controller if they know the game has already solved the problem.

The concern I state is that the game gets its value from online. I don't know that the community will be active.

Additionally, I'm not happy about the running trend of releasing games in near-or in some cases-semi completed state. A lot of stuff is missing from Splatoon's launch that seems largely inexcusable.
The concern about the game having an online community months after the game is a valid one but I think Nintendo fans are a hardcore bunch that will keep that game alive for a long time. It might not be a huge CoD community but I’ll be a fine one. I can still hope on Black Ops 2 on Wii you and play normal Death match just fine. Maybe not some of the other modes but that game has about 100000 modes. Splatoon will be more focus I honestly believe that you won’t’ have trouble with the community with this game. I really really do.

I also see your point with the game not being finished argument but that’s not Nintendo’s style at all. In fact their whole mantra has always been release a finish game.

I think they are holding back that content as a carrot to keep players coming back to the online and making sure that your concern about the community going away doesn’t happen. By releasing this content sprinkled throughout the months is a way to go back to the game similar to Mario Kart 8 but in a smaller scale.

Plus is free James. I mean it’s hard to argue with that you know.

As for the Pro controller the guy with the pro will be at a disadvantage? No map and no motion and I know some of you guys hated the motion but if you take the time to learn the new style of playing it’s actually very accurate and gives you an advantage.

People hated the motion driving in Mario Kart Wii and some of the best players in that game used the wheel.

Offline Kobeskillz

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2015, 12:14:27 PM »
Naw, Naw, what splatoon really needs is support for the NES Zapper :smug:

Come on guys. The Power Glove is where is at. But really I’m disappointed in the crew. They fought for Pro support but clearly didn’t fight for the Wii Balance board. Tis tis.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2015, 02:45:40 PM »

I also see your point with the game not being finished argument but that’s not Nintendo’s style at all. In fact their whole mantra has always been release a finish game.
Mario Kart 7 says hi. Missing tons of basic modes and they had to patch a fix in for at least 4 different gamebreaking bugs.

Also, Wind Waker, where they introduced a triforce hunt to cover up 2 cut dungeons.

Mario Sunshine using coin missĂ­ons to cover up missing worlds.

Smash 4 on Wii U STILL not having a tournament mode.

Hell the Wii U at launch. Everything gets a 40 second loading screen, have fun.

Offline Kobeskillz

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2015, 06:22:40 PM »

Mario Kart 7 says hi. Missing tons of basic modes and they had to patch a fix in for at least 4 different gamebreaking bugs.

Also, Wind Waker, where they introduced a triforce hunt to cover up 2 cut dungeons.

Mario Sunshine using coin missĂ­ons to cover up missing worlds.

Smash 4 on Wii U STILL not having a tournament mode.

Hell the Wii U at launch. Everything gets a 40 second loading screen, have fun.

Ok first of all you can go to any game and nip pick over what wasn’t included. Eventually you have to stop working on a game.

I think you’re reaching a little there. This isn’t Skyrim like where the game was basically unplayable at launch for PS3. Oh and how about GTA and how the online was broken oh and shall we talk about Master Chief collection? How about other companies that release unfinished games with a day 1 patch or hold content for DLC

Smash 4 has enough content to last you decades and you are complaining about it missing one mode that will eventually be included later? Actually correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t all that content going to be added in a FREE update later?

Though Wii U I agree completely but mmm well it’s not a game so yeah that’s my defense on that one. Lol.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2015, 08:01:58 PM »
This isn’t Skyrim like where the game was basically always completely unplayable at launch for PS3 AND STILL IS.

As someone who probably put a good 70-100 hours into the PS3 version of Skyrim, I felt honor-bound to fix that for you.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2015, 08:06:23 PM »
You can say "Well Smash had so much content" at launch, and be correct. HOWEVER if that were the case I'd have been happier for them NOT to mention the content they planned to add at a later date prior to the launch of the game. Don't muddy the water. Still waiting on that Miiverse level, Sakurai...

Splatoon doesn't seem to have that defense. Anyone who would dare tell me that Splatoon will launch with a comparable amount of content to Smash 4 should be disregarded as a lunatic. Neither is acceptable to me, I have always stated that a game launch should be in as near a perfect state as possible. Patching solutions are not forever and people who buy the game deserve to get it in as good a state as possible out of the box. Just because Nintendo no longer seems to subscribe to this does not mean I'm going to be inconsistent on the point. Splatoon should not be launching in the state that it is. I rightly rap Nintendo for doing so.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Kobeskillz

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2015, 10:34:55 PM »
You can say "Well Smash had so much content" at launch, and be correct. HOWEVER if that were the case I'd have been happier for them NOT to mention the content they planned to add at a later date prior to the launch of the game. Don't muddy the water. Still waiting on that Miiverse level, Sakurai...

Splatoon doesn't seem to have that defense. Anyone who would dare tell me that Splatoon will launch with a comparable amount of content to Smash 4 should be disregarded as a lunatic. Neither is acceptable to me, I have always stated that a game launch should be in as near a perfect state as possible. Patching solutions are not forever and people who buy the game deserve to get it in as good a state as possible out of the box. Just because Nintendo no longer seems to subscribe to this does not mean I'm going to be inconsistent on the point. Splatoon should not be launching in the state that it is. I rightly rap Nintendo for doing so.

Disagree with smash. Game has so much content them saying off the bat hey we are adding tons of free content later on is just gravy to me. Agree to disagree here.

With splatoon while it doesn't bother me like it does others I see your argument and think is a fair one.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2015, 11:11:41 PM »
I think my Smash point is inarguable. If, as you say, Smash didn't need the content it still doesn't have in order to be "complete" why did they market the game with that content, knowing it wouldn't be there at launch?
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline kevtron

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2015, 01:39:45 AM »
I appreciate a healthy dose of skepticism - especially when there are so many unanswered questions like there is with Splatoon. That being said, this was a drag to listen to.

Listener mail was good though!

Offline Kobeskillz

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2015, 02:16:59 PM »
I think my Smash point is inarguable. If, as you say, Smash didn't need the content it still doesn't have in order to be "complete" why did they market the game with that content, knowing it wouldn't be there at launch?

I think it’s a matter of opinion with smash really and IMO the fact that they said he look here’s a ton more content coming soon doesn’t bother me at all.

It’s not paid content. In fact the paid content got announced much later. I didn’t get the game and think man it’s incomplete because im really missing that miiverse stage. I just did not have a problem with it at all and the fact that a game I’ve poured in arlready 80 hours is getting free additional content coming is even better to me.

I honestly think that complaining about announcing that content early is just nitpicking to the extreme on a game exploding with content. Really I do.

You have a stronger case with Platoon and for now I’ll drop this because the game isn’t even out so it’s hard for us to even judge it on previews especially since there could potentially be more to the game than what we all know. I’ve been hearing great things about the single player and you guys compared it to Titanfal which hopefully looks not to be the case. 

Offline Kobeskillz

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2015, 03:46:36 PM »
So it looks like Splatoon is getting really good review guys and that the single player is being herald as a great experience and the titanfall comparison can be put to rest.

Can’t wait for this game!