Author Topic: EDITORIALS: At GameStop, Freedom Has a Price  (Read 20114 times)

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
Re: EDITORIALS: At GameStop, Freedom Has a Price
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2010, 05:23:55 AM »
Don't forget Game Crazy. Game Crazy is the closest thing in the States to a direct competitor for Game Stop. Unfortunately they are starting to follow similar practices to GS from what I hear.
I forget Game Crazy because I have never even SEEN a Game Crazy.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2010, 06:58:59 AM »
Half of them are adjoined to Hollywood videos so since many Hollywood videos are closing down they are harder too find as well. I think it's great that the one where I used to live didn't bother to order ANY copies of Conduit and I was one of several people combing the city for a copy the 'release day'. Someone who runs one of those places should be aware of all major releases and ordering accordingly. It's just like a Pizza Hut manager is expected to know when big games are and staff the restaurant accordingly or you end up with crappy service on Sundays because everyone is watching the big game.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2010, 08:16:02 AM »
I thought the preorder came with free Wii points, and the demo was just the demo, Sundulous.  Can anyone who picked it up actually say if it came with anything aside from the disc, the packing, and whatever control scheme stuff they needed?
Others have answered this, but I think that she meant that they're using the Wii points to justify requiring a pre-order in order to obtain the demo.   
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 11:09:26 AM by Sundoulos »
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Okiva

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2010, 10:45:48 AM »
Yes, i agree with this sentiment about Game Stop. I favor Play-N-Trade. I f-ing hate that there's always the chance that going into Game Stop that I'm going to run into this clique of arrogant insensitive assholes who arent interested in helping me, answering questions, nor have any patience for anyone "not at their level".

Has anyone filled out those customer serveys?

Offline Armak88

• Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2010, 10:50:14 AM »
One thing I've learned over the years is that freedom isn't free, it costs folks like you and me, and if you don't throw in your buck o' five who will?
"I'm not going to ban you yet just in case you really are a huge fan of bean bag chairs..." - Pale

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2010, 12:11:49 PM »
It would seem that this would violate anti-trust laws because Gamestop has a monopoly on selling games. Or would Wal-mart and Target be competitors to gamestop.

Any place that sells games would be a Gamestop competitor.  And I think for anti-trust laws to take effect Gamestop has to not only have no competition but be in a position where they actively block others from attempting to compete.  You're not an illegal monopoly if you just happen to be the only company in your field because nothing stops someone from creating a competing business if they want to.

I mentioned a local chain I go to named Willow Video.  The sheer fact that that even exists shows the Gamestop has no monopoly.  Hell with eBay how could anyone truly claim that Gamestop has a monopoly on used games?  There would always still be an alternate way for Americans to purchase them.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2010, 06:02:46 PM »
It would seem that this would violate anti-trust laws because Gamestop has a monopoly on selling games. Or would Wal-mart and Target be competitors to gamestop.

Any place that sells games would be a Gamestop competitor.  And I think for anti-trust laws to take effect Gamestop has to not only have no competition but be in a position where they actively block others from attempting to compete.  You're not an illegal monopoly if you just happen to be the only company in your field because nothing stops someone from creating a competing business if they want to.

I mentioned a local chain I go to named Willow Video.  The sheer fact that that even exists shows the Gamestop has no monopoly.  Hell with eBay how could anyone truly claim that Gamestop has a monopoly on used games?  There would always still be an alternate way for Americans to purchase them.

That's the exact same reasoning that allowed GAME to buy up all its direct competitors here (EB Games and Gamestation). It was also the same time i stopped going there because prices just all went up.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2010, 02:30:10 PM »
One thing I've learned over the years is that freedom isn't free, it costs folks like you and me, and if you don't throw in your buck o' five who will?

WINNER
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2010, 02:52:07 PM »

Once I went into a Gamestop and the person behind the counter asked if I wanted to preorder a game. Being courteous (it's part of the scout law, man) I replied, "No thanks, I would rather decide if I want a game after it comes out and get it then." The man told me that, "Dude that is the stupidest thing I've heard, how the hell are you going to get a copy of Halo 3 when it comes out." I responded, a bit more tersely, "I am sure that you will have plenty of copies, I think it would be dumb to not order enough of the biggest game coming out this year." His idea of a witty response was to imitate a crying baby, smashing his fists into the counter and screaming (really, yelling), "Whaaaahhh I am such a baby! I am too scared to pre order a game and I cry when I can't find it when it comes out!" As people turned their heads, he continued his show. I walked out, disgusted.

Yet another time, I purchased a brand new copy of the PC game Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. Not having seen one in stores for a while, I bought it. Turns out, when I went to buy some deodorant (or something) at the Target that shared a parking lot I found a copy of the game a full twenty dollars cheaper. Needless to say, I bought that version and went to return the more expensive copy I had bought at Gamestop. The person working there refused my return, saying they had the right to do so. I don't look like a criminal, at least I hope not, and there was no way in hell that I had copied the game within fifteen minutes and managed to do so without even breaking the seal on the game. So I was stuck with that copy and had to drive to two cities away to return it, because the guy had called his friend at the closer gamestop to warn him of the "thief".

Wow thats the saddest thing I've ever heard and I'm sorry you had to go through that. Just.. wow.

Yes, i agree with this sentiment about Game Stop. I favor Play-N-Trade. I f-ing hate that there's always the chance that going into Game Stop that I'm going to run into this clique of arrogant insensitive assholes who arent interested in helping me, answering questions, nor have any patience for anyone "not at their level".

Has anyone filled out those customer serveys?

I forgot there's a Play-n-trade in my town, but i haven't been to it yet. It's in a really crappy location with no parking.

As for the survey, I actually completed TWO yesterday; one for each receipt I had from pre-ordering Fragile Dreams and from picking it up. I've already written about that experience in the Gamestop thread in another part of the forums, so I won't go in to detail, but basically I gave them my brutally honest opinion ever chance I could. At first I thought I'd only do the one survey, but when i remembered I had two seperate receipts with two seperate validation codes, I figured I might as well comment on my experience trying to obtain the MHT demo.

Like the lot of you, I too had trouble obtaining the demo and haven't bothered trying to get a copy since, and probably won't even be buying the game now* (Sorry Capcom, blame GS). The kicker for my story? The clerk who tried getting me to pre-order the game in order to receive the demo was someone I've known since 2nd grade. He's a pretty informed gamer, as I am, and probably plays more video games than I too because he has more free time (Me having a full time job and steady girlfriend, him being part-time employed by GS and combing the local highschool for girls dumb enough to find him impressive), so I just KNOW this bullshit is happening from a corporate level, and this is something Capcom should be investigating. Sad.

*slow-building-clap*
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2010, 07:21:01 PM »
Demo disc - not available in Canada (it seems)
So y'all can quitcher bitchin'!
 :D
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2010, 07:14:46 PM »

And whose fault is it that you live in Canada? Get a better country, eh?  ;D
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2010, 05:54:37 PM »

And whose fault is it that you live in Canada? Get a better country, eh?  ;D

qft :P
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2010, 07:05:44 PM »
I just applied for managment position at a local gamestop. If I get the job everytime I come onto this forum I will ask everyone if they want to pre-order anything, stand behind a counter on the phone and do all the other pain in the ass stuff gamestop employeees do to piss of the customers.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2010, 07:10:28 PM »
good luck! never come back! :P

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2010, 02:39:12 PM »
I just went and bought a copy of Spider-man Web of Shadows for the wii yesterday and played it and found that the game was awful so I tried to return the game today. I purchased the game fr $15 from gamestop's bargain sail and it had a new sticker on it, but no packaging. When I tried to return the game the manager of the store said that since the game technically new that I could not get a refund or exchange.

I ended up arguing with him about how the game was lousy and that since it had no wrapping on it that it was a used game and therefore subject to their return policy. He then proceeded to check the disc and discovered that it was vertually untouched and decided that since It was in good condition and I bought the day before so he would go through with the transaction.

This way the same store and manager that I described before about the star fox command deal. I told him that I drive five extra miles to go to a better gamestop to avoid the one I was deling with.

I told him that once you take a new game in a wrapper out of the case it is used because of the oils on you fingers contaminating the disc. I then told him that Gamestop was a deceptive buisness for selling a used game as new.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.