Author Topic: PODCAST: Radio Free Nintendo: E3 08 Day 4  (Read 9714 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
PODCAST: Radio Free Nintendo: E3 08 Day 4
« on: July 18, 2008, 07:30:39 AM »
We wrap up our E3 podcast series with a look at the best, most interesting 3rd-party games of the show.  Plus: the Hall of Shame and the games that will make Wii owners jealous of other systems this fall.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/podcastArt.cfm?artid=16412

Goodbye, video games.  Hello, Batman!  

AAC Format    

MP3 Format    

Subscribe via iTunes    

Digg Radio Free Nintendo    

E3 2008 is over, and we celebrated / grieved by venting our third-party game impressions into this lengthy episode, recorded from a picnic table on the USC campus.  (Really!)  TYP missed the final day of the show, so this episode has the previous lineup: Steven "Windyman" Rodriguez, Carmine "Kairon" Red, and Jonathan "Jonnyboy" Metts.  We whittled the list down to about a dozen interesting Wii and DS games for discussion, including Mega Man 9, Deadly Creatures, Sonic Unleashed, and much more.    

The final segments of the show feature the worst games we saw at the show, or at least the ones that need the most work before release.  We also gush about some of the other systems' games and give our final thoughts on the revised format of E3 itself.  Please enjoy this wrap-up, and check back next week for the return of the regular RFN crew you know and love!    

Credits:    

This podcast was edited by Steven Rodriguez.    

Music for this episode of Radio Free Nintendo is used with permission from Jason Ricci & New Blood. You can purchase their new album, Rocket Number 9, directly from the record label, or download it from iTunes, or call your local record store and ask for it!

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Re: PODCAST: Radio Free Nintendo: E3 08 Day 4
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 06:07:23 PM »
The feeds are not updated now but will be within a couple more hours.  We thought it was best to allow people to download it as soon as possible.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 06:15:07 PM »
If I hear Gears of War 2 or Resistance as games Wii owners should be jealous of I may have to smack someone. ;)
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 09:08:12 PM »
If I hear Gears of War 2 or Resistance as games Wii owners should be jealous of I may have to smack someone. ;)

Why?  Because we have "The Conduit" and everyone should be jealous of us??
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 09:20:54 PM »
I'm jealous of Galaga remake.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 10:37:36 PM »

Why?  Because we have "The Conduit" and everyone should be jealous of us??

Yeah that is it. Just like everyone should be jealous of Animal Crossing for Wii because it is comparably as generic. ;)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 10:42:52 PM by GoldenPhoenix »

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 11:47:54 PM »
I hear all these little kids screaming in background.

whats the backstory on that?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 11:49:13 PM »
I hear all these little kids screaming in background.

whats the backstory on that?

Johnny's offspring from the missing times in his life after a drunk-cast. Scary stuff.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2008, 02:05:59 AM »

*Walks away whistling*
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 04:00:23 AM »
I have no interest in music games, but Miyamoto has pulled fun out of the impossible before. Never underestimate him.

Offline MarioIsFrench

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 12:46:12 PM »
I have no interest in music games, but Miyamoto has pulled fun out of the impossible before. Never underestimate him.

That's true. Unfortunately after watching his "performance" during the conference, i feel that not even divine intervention would save that game... it was like the movie napoleon dynamite: you have to be piss drunk to enjoy that thing... Knowing all that, i still think it's going to sell a million copies because they've marketed the Wii-(insert any type of game here) brand...
DC Universe questions that make you wonder.

• Why can't Green Lantern just make a "kill all bad guys" button with his green lantern powers?
• Aquaman? Alive? WHY?
• Can anyone beat Batman with prep-time?
• Can anyone name all super heroes/villains in the latest Infinite Crisis book without wiki?

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 12:56:06 PM »

That's true. Unfortunately after watching his "performance" during the conference, i feel that not even divine intervention would save that game... it was like the movie napoleon dynamite: you have to be piss drunk to enjoy that thing... Knowing all that, i still think it's going to sell a million copies because they've marketed the Wii-(insert any type of game here) brand...

Not even the tallest shot of 151 could numb the pain and horror from that "performance".   :'(

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2008, 03:34:49 PM »
Those of us who played Wii Music didn't have much fun.  My overall impression is that it's a novelty that will be mildly entertaining for a few minutes and will then never be played again.  It seems designed for very small children.  That's totally cool, but Nintendo's games usually have appeal across a wide range of ages, and I don't feel that Wii Music does.  I definitely don't think it will stand up as a marquee holiday title.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2008, 08:14:32 PM »
I don't really understand what it is you're trying to say here. Why wouldn't Wii owners want Resistance and Gears on their console? They're high budget hardcore action games, something that the system doesn't exactly have in spades. The same thing goes for titles like Super Mario Galaxy and Boom Blox. People who don't own Wiis should want those on their system of choice. Variety never hurt anybody.

As for Animal Crossing, it's never really been my bag, but the people who like it will probably like this new one. I will say this, though. A buddy of mine was at the show, and I think he hit the nail on the head with: "Well, it's good to see that they're still getting their money's worth with 64DD tech."

Nintendo's conference this year was exactly what I expected it to be: they're fully embracing the market that's making them tons and tons of cash, and there's not a single thing wrong with that. As a gamer with particular tastes, I don't think I'd be satisfied only owning the Wii, however. The kind of games that I like playing are simply more often than not developed elsewhere.

So while I love playing Boom Blox and Smash Bros. and Super Mario Galaxy, I can only play them for so long. Comparing the Wii and 360's release schedule for the next year, I'm probably planning on purchasing four 360 games for every Wii game. That's not the case for everybody (clearly, looking at sales), but Nintendo's new direction, while fiscally very sound, isn't one that I'm willing to follow exclusively, and I think a lot of people feel the same way.
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2008, 10:14:31 PM »
Preach on brother
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2008, 10:33:54 PM »
Gears of War 2 and Resistance 2 are examples of some of the most generic games out there, though I was really only being tonque in cheek, sorry if I hurt your feelings.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2008, 10:43:34 PM »
Gears of War 2 and Resistance 2 are examples of some of the most generic games out there, though I was really only being tonque in cheek, sorry if I hurt your feelings.

Though the genre may be generic, the style of those games certainely isn't (unlike a certain Wii exclusive FPS who doesn't yet have a publisher =)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2008, 02:04:39 AM »

Though the genre may be generic, the style of those games certainely isn't (unlike a certain Wii exclusive FPS who doesn't yet have a publisher =)

Really? So Resistance isn't basically a carbon copy of every other FPS out there especially Halo? I'd love to hear to hear your rationale about Resistance having some sort of style that makes it a non-generic game. Even reviewers that liked the first game admitted it wasn't unique, polished but far from unique. Gears of War 1 was knd of unique Gears of War 2 looks like a quick n dirty (OK maybe not dirty but by the books) sequel, so I believe my point stands ESPECIALLY for Resistance 1 which was a lame extremely linear FPS post-apocalyptic shooter with Halo enemy designs and a generic online battle mode that doesn't even compare to Halo 3 in map design. Also I'd take Conduit's pointer controls over any clunky analog control for a FPS.

Conduit may not be fresh but at least it is an example of a developer wanting to work hard on a game and polishing it up unlike other similar developers on the Wii. I don't believe anyone would argue Conduit isn't generic in its design, but at least be honest about Resistance, and to a lesser extent Gears of War (yet another extremely linear game).  Is it really that hard for people who own a 360 or PS3 to admit that they enjoy games that aren't particularly fresh or even a bit generic? Besides don't supporters of 360/PS3 shooters want to avoid comparing those games to PC counterparts? So why should Conduit be any different when comparing it to the 360/PS3 shooters? You cannot have it both ways, Conduit is a fresh Wii game, while Resistance for example is NOT compared to many similar titles on PS3. Not to mention Conduit is doing something few games even attempt and that is fully customizable controls, isn't that something fresh in itself? We still don't know what all the eye will do either. I think it would be hilarious if Conduit turned out to be more fresh than Resistance when it comes to FPS games!

Regardless to get back on topic, I think games Wii owners should watch closely are games like Little Big Planet, truly fresh titles. Oh yeah, there is also a FPS game coming out that has potential to revolutionize the genre and that Mirror's Edge. Why not hype those two games up? They aren't games that are trying to go by the books and use "Oh man isn't that cool I can ride a big monster" to pad their gameplay.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 03:16:53 AM by GoldenPhoenix »

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2008, 10:17:21 AM »
Variety never hurt anybody.

Buy third party games.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2008, 01:50:05 PM »
"I'd love to hear to hear your rationale about Resistance having some sort of style that makes it a non-generic game."

GIANT ENEMY LEVIATHON

"Gears of War 1 was knd of unique Gears of War 2 looks like a quick n dirty (OK maybe not dirty but by the books) sequel "

Incorrect, Gears 2 will actually be Bigger, Better, and more Badass than Gears 1.

But I digress, I'm not much of an FPS fan anyways, that said, I would certainely agree with you that the real game that stole the show was Mirror's Edge!  Even Reggie himself kicked Chris Kohler off it so he could have a shot.   8)

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2008, 06:43:51 PM »

Buy third party games.
Oh, trust me, the only games I plan on buying for Wii in the foreseeable future are third party games. Unfortunately, that only comes out to three or four purchases in the next year.
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2008, 06:48:41 PM »

Buy third party games.
Oh, trust me, the only games I plan on buying for Wii in the foreseeable future are third party games. Unfortunately, that only comes out to three or four purchases in the next year.

^_^

Maybe this fall the Wii software ratio will be 80% third parties?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2008, 10:22:12 PM »
I think it would be hilarious if Conduit turned out to be more fresh than Resistance when it comes to FPS games!

That is if it gets the chance to see the light of day. So far, no publisher has come forward to scoop this title up. I read one of the previews, (I believe GoNintendo) where they guy was talking to one of the devs on the elevator. The dev recalled talking to a particular publisher, who told them they would 'strip a lot of crap out and sell it for $20'. Talk about discouraging... Any educated guess of publishers willing to give Conduit a shot?

Deadly Creatures sounds like a future sleeper hit. I haven't bothered looking at THQ games since its synonymous with licences/crap, but Deadly Creatures has my attention.

I'm surprised the crew didn't mention the Capcom press conference. But then again, you didn't miss much...
Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2008, 10:32:37 PM »

Buy third party games.

Unless they're made by Ubisoft.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2008, 11:20:23 PM »
From what I've been hearing, The Conduit will be fine. They're just looking for the right publisher who's not going to give them a crap distribution deal. The project's been self-funded, so it's one of those rare situations where they're not in dire need of a publisher right away to complete the game.

if I had to guess, I'd say D3 PoA will end up releasing it.
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur