Author Topic: Do you regret buying a Wii U?  (Read 15953 times)

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
Re: Do you regret buying a Wii U?
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2014, 06:23:43 PM »
I'm with Weetrick--I got an decent deal on the WII U and about 3 *free games* for only $180 so far.  For the most part I'm still playing more on my primary systems (360/ps3) but I do like Nintendo's exclusives.

At long as the system doesn't get discontinued then  2 or 3 exclusive/year is what I was expecting to play when I bought the system.

What I am disappointed with is the lack of good use of the gamepad.  It's a big part of the system yet most developers don't have clue on how to use it :(.

Offline Drizzt

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2014, 07:10:55 PM »
I don't regret purchasing my Wii U at all. I've already gotten plenty of use out of the system. Games like Mario 3D world. Nintendo Land, Windwaker HD, Lego City, Wii Party U and Game and Wario not to mention the ones I have yet to play on my shelf, make me critical of the no games comments I find on virtually every game website. The gamepad is the most next-gen feature I have seen from any of the systems. Being able to change my inventory without pausing, having a map always at the ready, and Asymetric Gameplay feel like true innovations. Miiverse is really cool and I can't wait to see what features arise as it matures, much like the stamps in 3D world. Also I find it frustrating that no one in the gaming press seems to mention backwards compatablilty. I understand it's not why you buy a new console, but its the only one of the big three that has it, and being able to play all of your old wii games in a higher fidelity is a huge boon to the system. I've never been disapointed by a Nintendo console, and from what I've seen the Wii U will not break that trend. :D

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2014, 07:26:28 PM »
Hell no. Considering my wii disc drive was beginning to fail in some ways I'm happy I made the jump.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2014, 07:30:21 PM »
This is why people think you are grumpy and angry. Quit being different and join the hive mind.

One of us!
One of us!
One of us!

Well, I can't really bitch. I am on a Nintendo fansite, after all...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2014, 07:31:18 PM »
When did you morph into a hypno-toad?

Offline Drizzt

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2014, 07:58:34 PM »
This is what Oblivion's post made me think of.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2014, 08:00:19 PM »
I was getting sick of the angry Kirby. I think it's a change of my personality... :P

Offline geckog7

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2014, 08:05:46 PM »
Absolutely not! I basically missed out on last gen games because of college. I've been catching up on awesome Wii games as well as Wii U. I even enjoyed Mass Effect 3 and Batman.......... I also love the gamepad concept

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2014, 08:29:39 PM »
As long as Mario Kart 8 still comes out, then no.

Offline sweetfeathery

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2014, 10:00:39 PM »
I split the cost of a Wii U with my brother when the Wind Waker Bundle came out. The price I paid for it was great and I have plenty to play on it (Zelda, Super Mario Wii U, Monster Hunter Tri,) and I am going to be picking up Donkey Kong Tropic Freeze when that comes out. I also saw at work that Wounderful 101 dropped in price to 29.99. I am going to have to pick that one up soon.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2014, 10:01:09 PM »
It was either that or pay $360 for a copy of Earthbound on the grey market, so...

I don't regret the purchase at all. I've become more of a handheld gamer in the last two years so a system that lets me play console games in a fashion I prefer is damn well worth it.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2014, 10:16:51 PM »

Certainly not an unbiased audience.

In my case, I've got well over a hundred Wii games so backwards compatibility is a huge value proposition right off the bat. I skipped out on early adoption and instead bought the system at clearance pricing ($200) when they weren't moving from stores. Wii U is certainly underperforming compared to my hopes... but isn't that far off my actual expectations of first party software and (hopefully) a few extras. When looking at the long game, I still expect Wii U to be a fine investment.

As long as Nintendo doesn't kill the release of X in the west, it's hard for me to claim regret.
NNID: ejamer

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2014, 10:29:09 PM »
Super Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3 and NSMBU are among my favorite games ever, and Off-TV play is huge for me. My only real regret with the system is buying a bunch of physical retail games early on not realizing that most everything would be on the eShop day one.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2014, 12:02:42 AM »
This is why people think you are grumpy and angry. Quit being different and join the hive mind.
One of us!
One of us!
One of us!

Doesn't stop Ian, broodwars, and over 2/3rds of the staff from complaining.
Heck I've gotten a few jabs in where I can

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2014, 08:36:11 AM »
This isn't even about Nintendo for me. New hardware is an investment and I don't buy anything unless I can justify it which means it needs something I want immediately and a decent amount of known future releases to look forward to. That just happens to be easier on Nintendo platforms because we all know the usual suspects will show up.

Still, it's important for me to not buy on a whim. I didn't buy 3DS until I felt it was appropriate. A price drop, 20 free games, and Ocarina of Time 3D fit the bill. I could have stood to hold off on Wii U though I would have folded around May of last year when Resident Evil: Revelaitons came out, even though I had it on 3DS. At that point, nothing would have been cheaper. I got New Super Mario Bros. U and ZombiU on sale on launch day. All things considered, it's hard to feel any pangs of regret. I would have had to wait nearly a year for a price drop and that's just about the only thing that would have changed my mind.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2014, 10:39:29 AM »

Still, it's important for me to not buy on a whim. I didn't buy 3DS until I felt it was appropriate. A price drop, 20 free games, and Ocarina of Time 3D fit the bill.

Oh damn, you were one of those guys... ;)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2014, 11:17:35 AM »
Unabashedly so. If not then, I probably would have bought a 3DS by the end of 2011 once Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D World were released. Getting 20 free games was a bonus.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2014, 03:57:50 PM »

Still, it's important for me to not buy on a whim. I didn't buy 3DS until I felt it was appropriate. A price drop, 20 free games, and Ocarina of Time 3D fit the bill.

Oh damn, you were one of those guys...<$1alt="" title="" onresizestart="return false;" id="smiley__$2" style="padding: 0 3px 0 3px;" />

I admit to this as well. :)
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2014, 04:36:21 PM »

Oh damn, you were one of those guys...<$1alt="" title="" onresizestart="return false;" id="smiley__$2" style="padding: 0 3px 0 3px;" />

"Those guys" being the ones who only buy something that actual is worth the cost to them at that time, instead of buying blinding at launch with unrealistic hopes and expectations for the future? Yeah... I hate those guys.   ;)

I did the same thing for 3DS.  The ambassador games combined with a price cut were enough to make me jump in early. It still took a long time for the system to get enough "must play" software to justify owning though - and not until Resident Evil Revelations that I felt there was any retail 3DS games I needed to own.
NNID: ejamer

Offline EvilMario

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2014, 04:42:40 PM »
No regrets, other than the possible savings I could have had by waiting. I think it's a fine console for gamers, especially Nintendo fans. I've pumped in almost 500 hours of Monster Hunter, played plenty of Mario, Nintendo Land, Pikmin (now picking up co-op too) and even indie stuff like Spin the Bottle.  I've had a few disappointing titles (W101 and Sonic:LW just didn't appeal to me in the end. I know, burn me now.), but overall I'm happy with what's on the system right now.

Future prospects look good this year too, although I'm not entirely happy with how they've spaced the schedule. The wait between DKC:TF and Mario Kart 8 is such a void and Nintendo hasn't been great at filling those gaps in the past using Virtual Console, or eShop releases as they should be. I would guess E3 / Nintendo Directs will have at least a handful of new Wii U games being announced, on top of what we know about, looks fine for me this year. I'm not sure anything will really push the console though. Mario Kart and Smash will see slight bumps, but I'm not confident that Nintendo can maintain momentum with the titles, even though Iwata has stated it will be their goal.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2014, 04:44:12 PM »
I did the same. no shame.

They announced the Ambassador program, and a price drop, I went and picked one up on the last possible day to take advantage. I got my lowered price and my ambassador games. had my cake and ate it too.

I was initially holding out for a 3DS XL, as the 3DS is a little small for my hands, but the things has been collecting dust ever since E3 2012, so it doesn't even matter anymore.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2014, 05:32:12 PM »
Regret? Absolutely not. Wish I had more time to play the darn thing.
I have loved participating since launch, getting excited for the incremental improvements, watching the thing "grow" as an offering. Love it. Oh yeah, and the games are great.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2014, 08:53:43 PM »
Me and my Wii U have a love/hate relationship.

Right now it's pissing me off, but we've had a few good times too.
regret would definitely be the wrong word to describe how I feel about my Wii U right now.

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2014, 11:46:12 PM »
Definitely not.  I got mine at Target when they had the 20% off coupon right after Black Friday which made it enough of a deal for me.  I've only really played New Super Mario Wii U and Ducktales Remastered so far but I've had a blast with both.  Mario started out a little slow but after the first few levels the game really picked up and the challenges and boost mode add a lot to the game.  I was disappointed by the first New Super Mario Bros game, the Wii version was better but still not great, but this feels like a Mario game should in my opinion.  Ducktales is a blast even though I'm not very good at it, I've had to replay the levels an insane amount of times but it's fun to play, the cutscenes are funny (at least the first couple times), and the random sayings every time Scrooge finds a jewel are entertaining.  Beyond that, my wife is really liking Wii Fit U, I've got Mass Effect 3 and Scribblenauts waiting to be opened, tried the demo of Trine 2 and liked it enough to download, and there's a good list of games out now that I want to buy (Mario 3D World, Pikmin, AC4, Nintendoland, NES Remix, Castlestorm) plus what's coming out from Nintendo this year.  I don't have as much time for gaming as I used to so I don't need a ton of games, I hope the system gets support for several years to come but honestly by the end of 2014 there will be enough out to last me a long time.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2014, 12:23:56 AM »
I regret not buying Batman Arkham Origins used instead of new.