Author Topic: Quick Pokemon question  (Read 2298 times)

Offline toddra

• You dirty RAT
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
Quick Pokemon question
« on: September 04, 2013, 08:57:42 PM »
I am thinking about getting a 2DS and obviously it comes out at the same time as the new Pokemon games. I am not a fan as it were but I do see the merits of the games. Here is my question bear with me as it might sound noobish to some. I played Blue on the original Game Boy, well Game Boy Pocket I think, anyways I did like the game but it got I don't know repetitive after a while and I gave up. I went back a few years latter using Visual Boy Advance and gave it a second chance and got a little further but then got stuck again. Now  morality of emulators aside, there was one huge flaw, the game required you to have both carts or copies of the game to get all the Pokemon and well VBA was a mess in that department I could never get it to link up right and I tried the special link version also.

ANYWAYS I noticed on Wikipedia a while back as I was compiling complete lists of games for every game console for personal purposes, and I discovered a Pokemon Yellow that was supposedly a complete version of the game is that correct?

I guess my first question is on that, can you just play Yellow or the GBA Gold remake and it contains everything from the first two or am I missing something? IF that is so is that also true for all other Pokemon games? And if that is so why even buy the 2 up front and why not wait for the inevitable complete version latter or am I missing something?

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
Re: Quick Pokemon question
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 09:24:47 PM »
yellow was a gb game didn't here about being on GBA....
Made you look ****.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 09:29:28 PM »
The 3rd version enhances the story, fixes glitches and re-jigs the Pokemon availability so that there will be a few lines missing without trading.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 10:00:56 PM »
Yellow Version was, and always will be, a special case. In Yellow, you got a Pikachu as your starter and received each of the other starter Pokemon throughout the story. That's (probably) not gonna happen again. You still play through the same gyms and story.

The G/S remakes are enhanced versions of Gen II, with better graphics and story elements from Pokemon Crystal. Neither gives you "everything" of the previous two games.

A lot of people skip the first two releases and go straight to the third. I did it with Emerald. With Gen V, we got two sequels (B2W2), so now there's that risk. But generally, the "3rd game" will have a greater variety of (read: more old gen) Pokemon, different gym(s) and story elements, as well as some other upgrades.

The benefit of playing through two versions is that you can build a better (or just different) team the second time, giving you a different experience to go with the other changes. You also don't have to wait, and there's more legendaries to go around for you.

Hope that helps.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 11:24:17 PM »
true, i know there will be a Z, with the biggest dragon you could imagine!
Because the legendarys are based of the guardians of yggdrasil (Norse, a dragon, a deer and a hawk) and megas (ampharos is thor etc.)
Made you look ****.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 10:38:57 AM »
The 3rd version is always missing Pokemon that first 2 versions have. It's a complete rip off that guys like me just eat up. 3rd version is only best for glitch fixes and updates in battle.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline EvilMario

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 12:24:20 PM »

Yellow changes quite a few things, notably the addition of Pikachu as a starter Pokemon, but giving you the ability to receive the other Kanto starters later on. There are some story changes, actually featuring Jessie and James. Some changes to the exclusive Pokemon are made, but you're still missing around 10 from the total.

The GBA remakes, Fire Red / Leaf Green are well done and give you a slightly more polished version of the originals, with quite a bit more content. Gold / Silver (and their remakes) do feature Kanto region, but it is a trimmed down region and you're not 'experiencing' Red / Blue by playing through it.

But keep in mind; Pokemon has come a long way. If you're going back to play some of the original releases, expect very slow and chunky interface. As big as a Pokemon fan as I am, I wouldn't touch any of the Game Boy releases on Virtual Console these days.

If you're trying to get into the games, Black / White is a great entry point. Battles and menus move much faster, even if you just compare it to the previous generation. Maybe start from there and if you're hooked, look further back into the history of the franchise.

The 3rd version is always missing Pokemon that first 2 versions have. It's a complete rip off that guys like me just eat up. 3rd version is only best for glitch fixes and updates in battle.

3rd versions do scramble the missing Pokemon (usually around a dozen), but 3rd versions usually expand on the total Pokemon available. Take Platinum and BW2 for instance, where older generations are more easily obtainable.

But it's not as if exclusive Pokemon should deter people these days given the ability to trade online. 3rd versions like Emerald, Platinum and BW2 DO offer plenty of reasons to purchase it. Usually it's the expansion like Battle Tower, Join Avenue, Move Tutors, additional items being added, etc. In a less competitive sense, there are major story overhauls as well, additional animations, or sprites. Plenty of reasons why fans of the series should pick up a third release.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 02:56:56 PM by EvilMario »