Author Topic: Nintendo Free Radio 22: Extra-Large Double Double  (Read 5015 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Nintendo Free Radio 22: Extra-Large Double Double
« on: September 02, 2013, 01:42:34 PM »
We're playing Nintendo games and 4chan hates us, woo-hoo!
Download: Show time 2'39"55
Round out your Labor Day long weekend with the results of our own labor, as Nintendo Free Radio 22 is on the air! New Business opens with largely Stephen-ran but group-aided impressions of Pikmin 3, as you find out who is too stupid and/or lazy to use Wii controls (hint: today's loser is editing it). Donald dipped his toes into the Wonderful 101 demo, but saved most of his love for WayForward's love letter to our collective childhoods, Ducktales Remastered, Austen is glad that a demo actually made him buy Mario and Luigi Dream Team, but finds The Bureau: XCOM Declassified perhaps a little too nutty for its own good.

Mind the mess in Now Posted as we kiss a longtime piece of flamebait goodbye, then settle down for another highly animated Whatcha Watchin'. And we mean highly animated: Stephen has Wild Kratts and enough Funimation anime to choke a horse - Ouran High School Host Club, Fairy Tail, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Baka and Test and Soul Eater. Not to be undone, Austen brings his own wacky brand of anime with the incredibly psychotic Penguindrum and gets ultra-violent with Black Lagoon, while Donald attempts to ground things in reality with Wargames: WCW's Most Dangerous Matches (you call THAT reality? - Ed) and Breaking Bad. Yes, Breaking Bad.

Certain incidents have caused us to evaluate the nature of the internet and the people who post on it, mostly the racists, misogynists and Anonymous in a Feature with the working title "The Internet Is For Jerks" (note: present company excluded in all examples). Finally, the Mushrooms feature much-needed takedowns of plagiarists, car salesman and the ridiculous demo limits on the eShops.

Have any rebuttals for our ways of fixing the conversation on the internet? Have we missed a game that we should talk about? No matter what, send your feedback to nintendofreeradio@gmail.com or post it below.

This podcast was edited by Donald Theriault. Music and trailers used under Fair Use protection. Please ignore this subliminalDRINKPEPSI message.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Free Radio 22: Extra-Large Double Double
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 02:32:09 PM »
Quick question: What's the merit behind doing New Business as one person reciting something they've written, versus a discussion format similar to RFN? I find that while I like the variety of NFR, RFN's discussion format is far more exciting and interesting.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 02:33:46 PM »
Quick question: What's the merit behind doing New Business as one person reciting something they've written, versus a discussion format similar to RFN? I find that while I like the variety of NFR, RFN's discussion format is far more exciting and interesting.
I asked the same thing, also wouldn't it be better to have whatcha watching be its own thing on the podcast.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 02:56:10 PM »

Did we even do a solo review in this episode? Because we had all played so many of the games this episode, I believe we did all our discussion live this time. Yes, even the Bureau bit.

I've spoken on this before, but the advantages w/ the solo review format are ease of editing and focus of discussion (leading to shorter episodes than they'd otherwise have been). They've been a necessary evil given our editing situation, though I've been trying to do simpler live discussion lately to avoid the downsides of the solo review format.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 12:28:06 AM »
I actually haven't listened to this episode yet. I was just remembering what had occurred in previous ones.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2013, 09:34:34 AM »
... also wouldn't it be better to have whatcha watching be its own thing on the podcast.
Confused.

The Show runs.

1. New Business
2. Now Posted
3. Whatcha Watch'n
4. Feature
5. Mushrooms
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 05:35:06 PM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 11:52:54 AM »
On Wonderful 101:

The camera indeed can be zoomed in and out how you like and will stay that way. Coloured circle on the ground right under your leader will help you to find where he is in the crowd. Only leader matters, so you really only has to care about your leader while everyone else are expendable.

Game appears hectic and chaotic only at first, but actually you really have to focus only on 3-4 objects on the screen at all times: your leader (who is highlighted), two-three enemies and general environment with your and enemy littles dudes scattered around.

You can cancel attack animation by hitting Y. Or any other animation really.

Game doesn't mess up your block timings. First of all, turning into a jello pudding takes some time, something like a quarter of a second, so you have to block a bit in advance. Secondly, pudding doesn't stay up for long and falls apart after a while. Thirdly, some (if not most) attack animations have different variants and timings to them.

There are times when enemy will fake you out,  will do the motion but won't follow it through, and THEN a second later will hit you when your pudding felt apart . Countering this behavior is pretty easy actually, if first pudding didn't connect, do a second one. Or even easier -- just dodge. Dodge is instantaneous and provides 100% reliable getaway at all times.

Picture in picture mode is a bit of hassle but not a big issue i think. Definitely a less issue than in Pikmin 3, where you're forced to keep gamepad near you because you need to press buttons on it, even you're controlling the game with wiimote and nunchuck. While W101 allows you to play with your Pro Controller or Wii Classic Controller just fine.

Game even understands when you launch it with a Classic Controller and you don't have to switch options -- it just works. I am not sure if that was in demo, but it's like that in full game.

Recruiting enemies mechanic isn't depended on timing. Circling enemies around works differently in two cases:
  • when enemy is shocked (stars around his head), then your guys will lift him and throw him, inflicting massive damage for some reason
  • when enemy is done and is just about to die, he will go into that "self destruct state", when his body will start shining with purple light for a second or so and then he explodes. You need to circle the enemy during that state, THEN they will change sides.
Though maybe this works differently in easy mode and you can indeed recruit enemies without reducing their health to zero.

About tutorials: game actually has lots of tutorials. They appear one time in designated areas to help you out with the new mechanics. All the basic mechanics are are described there. After appearing in your corner, they will go into Help section on gamepad, so if you want to you can read previous tutorials. Tutorial are super short -- usually just a picture and a few words. The problem of course is that no one ever bother to check even that.

They are TOO unobtrusive and respect the player too much, assume too much of him. That's the very same people who will bitch about hand-holding tutorials killing all enjoyment in few cherry picked Nintendo games, and then they go and get lost completely in a game that doesn't throw hundred tutorials into their face for the first hour or so.

DuckTales:

Yeah, that last sequence after the last boss... I spent more time trying to get though it (and the one that comes after it) than in all other levels.

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Music for the game is made by a freelance composer, Yoko Shimomura, Mario&Luigi series is the only thing she does for Nintendo. Most of her her work is for Square.

On TV segment:

What's with the fan-made trailers with Inception music for every show?

Breaking Bad is one of the best shows ever made. Almost as good Avatar for me. Even if the ending will suck, journey will be well worth it. I hate, HATE bad endings and "making the plot as they go along" types of shows, but Breaking Bad is probably worth risking having a half-baked ending.

Speaking of fan-made trailers, here is a very nice one for BB: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyIbLKKcKgQ

On demo limits

Funny how you started talking about it right when i booted up demo for EOIV and saw that three uses counter.

Oh and The Wonderful 101 demo has 15 uses in Europe not 10. Which sucks either way, of course. I basically had my Wii U running 24/7 on this demo first two-three days, because i didn't want to use too much uses for it.

In the end i ended up with 20 hours 55 minutes spread across three demo uses (i have 64 hours 50 minutes in a full game by the way).
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 05:26:35 PM »
i meant on the feed

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 01:17:31 PM »
Someone probably brought this up to you guys, but using a different account on the Wii U does give you your own Pikmin 3 save. Same for The Cave, and many other games. But usually, if you see a save menu with several save slots, then it looks like they're shared between every account.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 01:36:53 PM »
Someone probably brought this up to you guys, but using a different account on the Wii U does give you your own Pikmin 3 save. Same for The Cave, and many other games. But usually, if you see a save menu with several save slots, then it looks like they're shared between every account.

Are you sure? Because on other Wii U games I've played, it's used the same save file for both accounts. Did they finally fix that?
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 04:03:47 PM »
I've personally tested this with both The Cave and Pikmin 3. I don't know if they've "fixed" anything, as far as I know it was always the case with both these games.

Offline EvilMario

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 03:36:16 PM »

Are you sure? Because on other Wii U games I've played, it's used the same save file for both accounts. Did they finally fix that?

I'm sure this is the case, as it's the way my wife and I both played our own single player games in Pikmin 3.

Certain games (NSMBU) that use multiple save slots are shared between all accounts, while other games that offer a single save slot (ZombiU, Pikmin) have save unique to the user. It varies from game to game, but all the games I've played with a single save slot have allowed me to start fresh on another user account.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 03:39:46 PM by EvilMario »