Author Topic: Anyone got some new years gaming resolutions going on?  (Read 14805 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
Anyone got some new years gaming resolutions going on?
« on: December 27, 2019, 03:08:50 PM »
Anyone got some long games they want to get through this year? I'm thinking this year I'll be going through Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Hollow Knight, Persona 3 Portable, Persona Q, and Chrono Cross and we can go from there.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone got some new years gaming resolutions going on?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2019, 03:44:20 PM »
Not really, but I think moving Xenoblade X back up the queue would be a good move to combat any free time that might occur. Will probably start over; didn't get very far when I started it 4 years ago. Based on eJamer's recommendation in another thread I'd like to get to Guacamelee! too, although that's a fair bit shorter haha.

Other long games I've still got on the virtual console pile:
- Earthbound
- Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
- Xenoblade Chronicles
(the first one)
Realistically, there's no way I'm playing all of these, but maybe Fire Emblem can work.

Depending on what gets released, 2020 might be the year I finally get a Switch. Have been holding off for a while now in hopes of a serious price drop (lol). The platform's reaching critical mass for me though, with a lot of stuff that interests me out (Astral Chain, Daemon x Machina, Mario Odyssey, Smash Ultimate) or out soon (Samurai Shodown).
Couple of variables are still up in the air in this regard: mainly what's happening with Bayonetta 3, and whether or not new Metroid/Zelda instalments might be releasing (I'm sceptical, but hoping to be wrong).

Also, weird one maybe, but if the Final Fantasy:Crystal Chronicles remake is good, that might be fun to try with forum people? I've never played it on GameCube.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 03:48:57 PM by Steefosaurus »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2019, 03:46:19 PM »
*broadly gestures at egregious backlog*

To start, I want to play Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night once the January update goes live. It’s supposed to fix most of the loading issues between rooms among other things AKA make the game playable.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2019, 10:02:38 PM »
Key targets on my "to play" list:
* Xenoblade X (Wii U)
* Persona Q (3DS)
* The Last Story (Wii)

You could also add Dragon Quest 7 or 8 to that list, since I'd like to play through one of those games in 2020, but that series always feels so relaxing and nostalgic that it's never an actual "goal"...
NNID: ejamer

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2019, 10:51:22 PM »
Get a Nintendo Switch Lite and play more of my Steam/3DS backlog are the main ones.   

Quote by Steefosaurus
Also, weird one maybe, but if the Final Fantasy:Crystal Chronicles remake is good, that might be fun to try with forum people? I've never played it on GameCube.
I played it on the Cube but it was always a 1 player affair for me since the requirements were somewhat difficult to put together to play in multiplayer.  It is a fun game and the different species offer lots of different forms of replayablity.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 03:21:35 PM by BeautifulShy »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2019, 11:53:03 PM »
I don't have any specific games in mind, I just want to make more of a concerted effort to go back and play some of the massive backlog I've built up. My goal is to every week go back and play more of something I hadn't played in a while, and at least every other week start something brand new.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 12:02:27 AM »
I don't have any specific games in mind, I just want to make more of a concerted effort to go back and play some of the massive backlog I've built up. My goal is to every week go back and play more of something I hadn't played in a while, and at least every other week start something brand new.

Pretty much the same here. I have so many games, especially RPGs, in my backlog that I either never started or got a ways into and then set aside to play something else. I'll be looking to finally finish Final Fantasy 15, Astral Chain, Fire Emblem Fates, & maybe Shadow of the Tomb Raider (among many others). I'd also like to finally get some decent progress in Xenoblade 2...once construction on my room is finally done and I actually have a door because good GOD that game is intentionally loud and obnoxious.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2019, 11:56:01 AM »
Probably sticking with 1280 x 720.

In reality, I do want to finish all of the routes in Three Houses, and I should have plenty of time to do that post-TMS Encore.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2020, 08:43:29 AM »

I simply adored it on Gamecube and none of the half-hearted, deformed sequels quite hit the mark in my opinion. Really hoping this one stays true to the original with improvements and expansions on the core game. I know my sister and I will be playing for sure as it was one of our staple games to play when she was younger.

As for gaming goals, I already have too many so I'll pick the ones I feel confident I can achieve.

• Going to continue my Three Houses play-throughs. I finished Crimson Flower first and started Verdant Wind after the last set of DLC dropped, but I'm not to the time skip yet. Then I'll do the Silver Snow and wrap it up with Azure Moon. I expect the last sets of DLC to have dropped by then, so I plan to then do another playthrough of Crimson Moon, undecided if I will try on the super hard modes or attempt a clean run for this one (where I don't do NG+, since there is a small reward for doing the hardest difficulty that way).

• Also plan to clear all of the extras in Breath of the Wild before the sequel releases, though I will not include finding all 900 korok seeds, just enough for the unlocks.

• Also plan to play more Marvel Ultimate Alliance, as I did buy the DLC Pass, and there is more of that coming this year as well.

• I bought Witcher 3 and have yet to open it, and after watching the Netflix show (which is quite enjoyable) I'm more motivated to play it.

• I beat Link's Awakening before the end of the year and very nearly got 100% before doing so. I just have some Dungeon tiles to find and challenges to clear, along with three heart pieces to find. My only blemish was one early death because I thought the bottled fairies would auto heal me.

My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2020, 12:40:30 PM »
I'm quitting cold turkey!

Offline relicgear92

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2020, 12:50:53 AM »
Mine would be:
1. Collect all stray beads - Okami Remastered HD
2. Play all available Resident Evil games on Nintendo Switch
3. Master Long Sword and Gunlance in Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate
4. Collect all spirits on Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2020, 01:34:52 PM »
  • Going to continue my Three Houses play-throughs. I finished Crimson Flower first and started Verdant Wind after the last set of DLC dropped, but I'm not to the time skip yet. Then I'll do the Silver Snow and wrap it up with Azure Moon. I expect the last sets of DLC to have dropped by then, so I plan to then do another playthrough of Crimson Moon, undecided if I will try on the super hard modes or attempt a clean run for this one (where I don't do NG+, since there is a small reward for doing the hardest difficulty that way).

• Also plan to clear all of the extras in Breath of the Wild before the sequel releases, though I will not include finding all 900 korok seeds, just enough for the unlocks.

• Also plan to play more Marvel Ultimate Alliance, as I did buy the DLC Pass, and there is more of that coming this year as well.

• I bought Witcher 3 and have yet to open it, and after watching the Netflix show (which is quite enjoyable) I'm more motivated to play it.

• I beat Link's Awakening before the end of the year and very nearly got 100% before doing so. I just have some Dungeon tiles to find and challenges to clear, along with three heart pieces to find. My only blemish was one early death because I thought the bottled fairies would auto heal me.

WHELP I'm already failing spectacularly. Been trying to catch shinies in Lets Go Pikachu and you cannot quit the game or you break your shiny catch combo. I imported a ton of Scythers from Pokemon Go to make it appear more frequently, but not had a single shiny of any type appearing over many hours and catches. I'm setup to max out the shiny proc rate so it's just a matter of time/luck, but I can't play any other Switch games while I do this. I'm slated to hang out with some friends this weekend that will force me to kill my combo either way so my roadblock will end soon. Don't think I'll be aggressively trying the combo trick again for a while because of how it ties up the system.

Though I already have some extra goals for the year to add to my list...

• Play more Minecraft and beat the game. My retired father plays a lot of Minecraft so I want to play more of that with him.
  • Play/beat Cindered Shadows DLC in Three Houses. I'm not sure if I can loop it into my current run of Verdant Winds as I am still in the pre-timeskip, but I'll be sure to include it in all of my future runs however that will work.
  • Something Animal Crossing related undoubtedly.
  • Play the hell out of Crystal Chronicles whenever that finally drops.
  • Get back into at least one shooter of any type (Fortnite, older CoD, Paladins). Been itching to play a shooter and this will depend on who I can rope in to join me. I believe the old CoD servers in BLOPS 1/2 and CoD 4 are still up so we'll see what comes out of it.

3. Master Long Sword and Gunlance in Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate

You need any hunting buddies? I'd love to add getting back into Monster Hunter to my new year's to-do list and this would be a great way to do so.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 01:42:35 PM by Stratos »
My Game Collection

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2020, 05:49:06 PM »

1. Play more Minecraft and beat the game. My retired father plays a lot of Minecraft so I want to play more of that with him.

2. Something Animal Crossing related undoubtedly.

3. Play the hell out of Crystal Chronicles whenever that finally drops.

4. Get back into at least one shooter of any type (Fortnite, older CoD, Paladins). Been itching to play a shooter and this will depend on who I can rope in to join me. I believe the old CoD servers in BLOPS 1/2 and CoD 4 are still up so we'll see what comes out of it.

5. You need any hunting buddies? I'd love to add getting back into Monster Hunter to my new year's to-do list and this would be a great way to do so.

1. It's been a while since I've played Minecraft, I wouldn't mind trying that again myself. Though, do you prefer it to just be family? If so, I understand.

2. I'll be getting Animal Crossing New Horizons at launch since my friends are getting it, so perhaps we can meet in that game at some point.

3. I think we're also planning to get this game as well so maybe that will work out and we can meet up there too.

4. I haven't gone back to Paladins since last year, but I'd still be open to playing more of it, so you could rope me in for that. Fortnite, I haven't played since summer 2018, but I'd be willing to try that one again as well.

5. We never did complete all of the G-rank quests so we could go back to this too if you're available to play sometime.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2020, 07:57:10 PM »
Almost 2 months in... how are the resolutions going?
(Hoping to find people to commiserate with, as I haven't even started any of mine yet...)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2020, 08:51:56 PM »
I've definitely been chipping away at my backlog more, so it's going well for me. I'll probably never finish everything, but I've made some decent progress in the last two months.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2020, 09:19:45 PM »
Finished Blue Lions today, and already three chapters into Golden Deer.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2020, 12:14:37 PM »

1. Play more Minecraft and beat the game. My retired father plays a lot of Minecraft so I want to play more of that with him.

2. Something Animal Crossing related undoubtedly.

3. Play the hell out of Crystal Chronicles whenever that finally drops.

4. Get back into at least one shooter of any type (Fortnite, older CoD, Paladins). Been itching to play a shooter and this will depend on who I can rope in to join me. I believe the old CoD servers in BLOPS 1/2 and CoD 4 are still up so we'll see what comes out of it.

5. You need any hunting buddies? I'd love to add getting back into Monster Hunter to my new year's to-do list and this would be a great way to do so.

1. It's been a while since I've played Minecraft, I wouldn't mind trying that again myself. Though, do you prefer it to just be family? If so, I understand.

2. I'll be getting Animal Crossing New Horizons at launch since my friends are getting it, so perhaps we can meet in that game at some point.

3. I think we're also planning to get this game as well so maybe that will work out and we can meet up there too.

4. I haven't gone back to Paladins since last year, but I'd still be open to playing more of it, so you could rope me in for that. Fortnite, I haven't played since summer 2018, but I'd be willing to try that one again as well.

5. We never did complete all of the G-rank quests so we could go back to this too if you're available to play sometime.

The key there is being available. :P My wife's sister just moved in with us along with her dog and cat, so things are pretty hectic.

I am down to play with others in Minecraft as well, but he has his own realm and is very picky about who can join, so we would have to play in a different world.
My Game Collection

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2020, 06:43:50 PM »
(Hoping to find people to commiserate with, as I haven't even started any of mine yet...)
Well no Switch Lite yet and I guess I have just been to blah with my energy to play many games lately so we are commiserating pals.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2020, 11:45:37 PM »
Well no Switch Lite yet and I guess I have just been to blah with my energy to play many games lately so we are commiserating pals.

Woohoo! I'm not alone!   ;D

Feb was a really down month for me in general - kind of depressed and down for a bunch of reasons - so my gaming fell largely by the wayside even though I did have some time available. On the upside, I did read a couple of books instead.

Things will pick back up soon on the gaming end though. Hopefully for you too!

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2020, 03:22:05 PM »
I hit a wall with Hollow Knight and that's the only one I've made real progress in.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2020, 09:55:51 PM »

Woohoo! I'm not alone!   ;D

Feb was a really down month for me in general - kind of depressed and down for a bunch of reasons - so my gaming fell largely by the wayside even though I did have some time available. On the upside, I did read a couple of books instead.

Things will pick back up soon on the gaming end though. Hopefully for you too!
Yeah I hope things pick up.  I just look at my steam list and I am like what do I want to start playing again that I want to go back to or start since I replaced my hard drive the past few months.  I think I am going to try and play games that are within the same series so I can pay and enjoy them and I have a set of game to play and then move on to the next series once I am finished with the first series of games.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2020, 10:05:07 PM »
For what it's worth, I've officially and completely given up Rhythm Thief. That game started off great, and then slowly descended into a frustrating mess. (Granted, a big part of that is because I actively dislike rhythm games... the deck was stacked against this game from the start.)

Normally I hate giving up on games mid-way through... but Rhythm Thief had been sapping my will to play any video games. Hopefully accepting this will let me move on to something new after finishing off the TV show that I'm currently enjoying.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2020, 01:19:28 AM »
Is it the paragliding mini-game that sapped your will?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2020, 09:06:16 AM »
Is it the paragliding mini-game that sapped your will?

It seems like getting to the Eiffel Tower should feel rewarding, not punishing.
R30 sucked. R31 was the final tipping point. The story hadn't done enough to make it worth fighting through.