Author Topic: Tales of Monkey Island (WiiWare)  (Read 5761 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Tales of Monkey Island (WiiWare)
« on: June 01, 2009, 12:35:17 PM »
"SHIVER ME TIMBERS! MONKEY ISLANDĀ® IS BACK THIS SUMMER!"

"A completely new epic storyline and swashbuckling flair that will unfold across five monthly episodes on PC and WiiWare".

- Created by Telltale games (Sam and Max, Strongbad, Wallace and Gromit)
- WiiWare and PC
- 5 Episodes

pics and more. Telltale site is down right now
But they also just remade The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition for XBLA & PC so they might share the same artwork.
http://www.lucasarts.com/games/monkeyisland
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 12:39:40 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Tales of Monkey Island (WiiWare)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 12:38:11 PM »
I'm kind of sad we're still not getting Season 3 of Sam & Max, but this is an awesome license for them to pick up.  Yippee!   ;D

To hell with buying this on WiiWare, though.  Knowing Telltale, I'll just be able to buy the whole season and get a compilation disc after the last episode anyway.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 12:40:14 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 02:15:54 PM »
Coolness.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 10:52:01 PM »
YESSS!!!!!!

I was just thinking today about writing a letter to LucasArts asking for them to port/remake their old adventure games for Wii/WiiWare.

Best E3 Evar!
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 01:55:40 AM »
This is really the single most exciting bit of gaming news I've heard in years.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 05:28:13 PM »
So I D/L'd the game on WiiWare yesterday and I am having a blast with it. I'm loving the humor and the puzzles have yet to be abstract-alien-thought-patterns-challenging.

The only issue I have with the game is that it has a really poor framerate and the audio quality could have been better. Though I'll chalk those issues up to the pathetic space limits on WW, though. I really hope Nintendo laxens it a bit.

I did find that the framerate issue got a little better once I freed up some more space on the flash memory. I was running the game with only 22 free blocks and it is a known fact that having extra space free improves performance. But I've yet to go back and play the introduction which was the worst part framerate-wise.

I'm definately more sold on this that Homestar or Sam & Max. I sputtered out on SB after beating the 3rd episode. If the rest of the Monkey Island games are like this I'm sold.

So who else has D/L'd it and how are you enjoying it?
My Game Collection

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 07:46:16 PM »
As I said in the other thread, I too am enjoying this, but technically it's a mess. I really doubt it has much to do with the WiiWare size limitations as I've heard that Sam & Max was also a complete mess and that was a disc-based game. I'm guessing TellTale is just not adept at developing Wii titles.

I presume that if I am to get the rest of the series I'll get it on Steam along with the remake of the original.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 07:47:06 PM »
So I D/L'd the game on WiiWare yesterday and I am having a blast with it. I'm loving the humor and the puzzles have yet to be abstract-alien-thought-patterns-challenging.

The only issue I have with the game is that it has a really poor framerate and the audio quality could have been better. Though I'll chalk those issues up to the pathetic space limits on WW, though. I really hope Nintendo laxens it a bit.

I did find that the framerate issue got a little better once I freed up some more space on the flash memory. I was running the game with only 22 free blocks and it is a known fact that having extra space free improves performance. But I've yet to go back and play the introduction which was the worst part framerate-wise.

I'm definately more sold on this that Homestar or Sam & Max. I sputtered out on SB after beating the 3rd episode. If the rest of the Monkey Island games are like this I'm sold.

So who else has D/L'd it and how are you enjoying it?

Should have got it on the more powerful iPhone /Telltale Troll

Offline BwrJim!

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 08:19:43 PM »
I have to agree with Mr. Jack on the not being adept at the wii programming.  Remember the fans made it possible for them to get a wii development kit.   I am willing to give them time.   I wont buy anything until they use that time though.

Monkey Island.  Making me think about playing it every 10 years or so...

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 05:24:46 AM »
The issues weren't enough to hamper my enjoyment of the game so I'll probably be getting them all on WW. Plus I prefer to play them on my TV.
My Game Collection

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 11:17:36 AM »
I have to agree with Mr. Jack on the not being adept at the wii programming.  Remember the fans made it possible for them to get a wii development kit.   I am willing to give them time.   I wont buy anything until they use that time though.

Monkey Island.  Making me think about playing it every 10 years or so...

Actually (and oddly) the issues I've heard with Monkey Island are mostly limited to Monkey Island. There WAS some stuttering now and again in Sam & Max, but it was very rare, and the game ran great 99% of the time. I can't recall any problems at all in Strongbad's games, but I've only played the first two. I intend to finish that series, and then get these games as well.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 01:08:52 PM »
I had issues with the Strongbad and Sam and Max games on Wii, nothing game breaking but at times can be irritating to some. I heard that Telltale's Xbox Live Arcade releases have issues as well from framerate to trying to force a point and click game on the Xbox 360 controller. I heard that there are framerate issues which happen frequently on Sam and Max season 1 for XBLA. My guess is that Telltale isn't adept at optimizing game code on consoles and ironing out those pesky framerate issues.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 01:33:25 PM »
I've always experienced Telltale games as buggy which is strange considering how simple they are.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 03:21:37 PM »
My mistake.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2009, 03:26:53 AM »
God. Just beat 2. These things end on some pretty freaking unfair cliff hangers. 3 Can't come soon enough!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, 10:33:27 AM »
Did Telltale fix any of the performance issues that the first episode suffered from?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2009, 03:57:56 PM »
I can't say definitively, but it DOES feel a lot less problematic in the second episode. There's still some loading hiccups when you switch major locations. However, the opening of the second episode is a BIG improvement over the first episode's opening. Screaming Narwhal's opening had severe framerate issues, but Seige of Spinner Cay has none of those extreme framerate problems. This could be because the first episode's opening scene was extremely ambitious and that the second episode's opening scene is less technically complex. On the other hand, I've noticed towards the end of the game some issues where players will be allowed to do things that they shouldn't still be able to do, or some items graphics don't change state (appearing closed when they're really open), but these don't hinder gameplay.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2009, 04:56:19 PM »
This deal isn't for the WiiWare version, but I thought I would post it here for those that were interested in the game but haven't purchased it yet.

Tales of Monkey Island episode 1 FREE till midnight (~10hrs from the time of this posting)
http://www.telltalegames.com/playlikeapirate

If you already have ToMI  ep1 then supposedly you get to choose something else.

So you better get it while it's hot!!

edit: Also part of Amazon.com DotD
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 12:01:33 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2009, 11:26:49 PM »
This deal isn't for the WiiWare version, but I thought I would post it here for those that were interested in the game but haven't purchased it yet.

Tales of Monkey Island episode 1 FREE till midnight (~10 from the time of this posting)
http://www.telltalegames.com/playlikeapirate

If you already have ToMI  ep1 then supposedly you get to choose something else.

So you better get it while it's hot!!

edit: Also part of Amazon.com DotD

You could actually choose any Telltalegames episode you wanted with the code on their website.  I downloaded the third episode of Wallace & Grommit, which finally meant I played all the episodes now.  I'm still not a fan of the franchise, but the games are alright.  I'm actually tempted to buy the full season set now that it's half off (I only need to pay for the 2 episodes I don't already own, as well as the shipping cost of the disc).

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2010, 02:31:11 AM »
Just played and beat Episode 5.

*sigh*

Monkey Island makes me a happy pirate.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2010, 03:12:06 AM »

*sigh*

The confirmation that Sam & Max: Season 3 is coming next makes me a happier one.  :D   I really look forward to seeing them apply what they've learned from Monkey Island on Sam & Max.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2010, 03:20:47 AM »

*sigh*

The confirmation that Sam & Max: Season 3 is coming next makes me a happier one.  :D   I really look forward to seeing them apply what they've learned from Monkey Island on Sam & Max.

Plus Sam & Max 2 was apparently reconfirmed for Wii. That makes me a happy pirate too! ;)

I actually just got unstuck on the 1st episode of Monkey Island and am almost done with the second. Hopefully I'll get through the rest shortly...I need more Wii Point cards.
My Game Collection

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2010, 03:22:39 AM »

*sigh*

What? Where? Link me!

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2010, 03:29:46 AM »

*sigh*

What? Where? Link me!

I take it you weren't paying attention at the end of the credits where they showed a quick teaser cutscene of a pirate flag being raised with "Sam & Max 2010" on it?  They even have a teaser website up right now (make sure to click the constellations), and they have been running a few contests lately on their blog related to Sam & Max (such as fans sending in campaign slogans for Sam to use in his upcoming Presidential re-election campaign).  Yeah, Sam & Max: Season 3 is next, though no word on if it's coming to WiiWare or not.  Doesn't matter to me if it does, since I always buy the PC versions anyway.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 03:40:30 AM by broodwars »