Poll

Which of these PlatinumGames have you played?

MadWorld
6 (17.1%)
Infinite Space
0 (0%)
Bayonetta
7 (20%)
The Wonderful 101
4 (11.4%)
Bayonetta 2
6 (17.1%)
Star Fox Zero
4 (11.4%)
Star Fox Guard
3 (8.6%)
Astral Chain
5 (14.3%)
I run this developer (Platinum Trophy)
0 (0%)
I have played any of these
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Run the Developer 2: PlatinumGames  (Read 20500 times)

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
Run the Developer 2: PlatinumGames
« on: June 08, 2021, 10:08:49 AM »
Run the Developer - is where we look at a specific game development studio's work on Nintendo systems and discuss our experiences with their games. In this second installment we turn our gaze to

PlatinumGames Inc. - formed from the remains of Seeds Inc. and Odd Inc., Platinum is a Japanese developer known for stylish action games. They have historically partnered with external publishers like Sega and Nintendo but as of 2020 started self-publishing. For more information, check out their website https://www.platinumgames.com/.

Games by Platinum

MadWorld

Platinum's debut was released on Wii in 2009. It is known for its monochromatic art style and hack and slash violence.

Infinite Space

Co-developed with Nude Maker, this 2009 DS RPG featured a sci-fi setting and according to Platinum, stretched the DS hardware to its limit.

Bayonetta

While not initially released on a Nintendo system when it came out in 2009, the start of the Bayonetta series was eventually released on Wii U (2014) and Switch (2018).

The Wonderful 101

The game azeke could not stop gushing about released for Wii U in 2013. It made liberal use of the Gamepad and while it failed commercially had a dedicated following. It was recently re-released on Switch (2020) and other platforms being the first game self-published by Platinum.

Bayonetta 2

As a surprise to many, Nintendo published this M-rated sequel on Wii U in 2014. The game was re-released on Switch in 2018. We now have Bayonetta as a playable character in Smash and patiently await the third installment in the franchise.

Star Fox Zero/Guard

Co-developed with Nintendo EPD, this pair of games was released on Wii U in 2016. Opinions seem to vary widely on these games but Platinum's influence is definitely noticeable.

Astral Chain

The most recent release from Platinum on a Nintendo system is 2019's Astral Chain for Switch. The game was well received and commercially successful. Why aren't you playing it right now?

Comments
So which games have you played? What did you like about them? Are you looking forward to Bayonetta 3? What is the deal with Sol Cresta?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Run the Developer 2: PlatinumGames
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 10:35:25 AM »
The most recent release from Platinum on a Nintendo system is 2019's Astral Chain for Switch. The game was well received and commercially successful. Why aren't you playing it right now?
Waiting for a sale to $40.
So which games have you played? What did you like about them? Are you looking forward to Bayonetta 3? What is the deal with Sol Cresta?
1. Madworld, Bayonetta 1 and 2, The Wonderful 101, and one level of Star Fox Zero (did not play Guard). I haven’t finished any of them.

2. They’re hilariously over-the-top. The controls are mostly tight (SFZ perhaps notwithstanding). Bayonetta is hilarious if it’s a parody of Sexy Video Game Girls®. Someone here once tried to pass the character off as feminist and empowering which might actually be funnier.

3. Yes.

4. I’ll have to google Sol Cresta. EDIT: I wiped this from memory as I’ve never been good at these types of games. PlatinumGames announced the game on April Fools day. Do they “celebrate” that in Japan? Back to Google for me.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 11:21:22 AM by Adrock »

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 04:33:41 PM »
I have played all of them except Infinite Space and Wonderful 101.

Bayonetta 2 > Astral Chain > Bayonetta > Star Fox Zero > Mad World

I liked the Transformers game they made too. I played Metal Gear Rising, but I cant remember how much I liked it.

They are great at making action games. Im really looking forward to Bayonetta 3.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 05:09:41 PM »
The only Platinum game I’ve played on a Nintendo system (apart from 5 minutes of The Wonderful 101 at E3) is Star Fox Zero, though I did play Vanquish on 360 and enjoyed it. I’m kind of surprised that never made its way to Wii U or Switch. I’m interested in trying Bayonetta and/or Astral Chain at some point, but I haven’t gotten around to it yet.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2021, 07:21:39 AM »
I played Mad World and Astrial Chain.  Mad World to completion and still working on Astrial Chain.   I really need to play the Bayonetta games still.  Isn't Bayo 1 and 2 on Switch or was that the Wii U in a dual pack?

Also didn't Clover Studio turn into Platinum games?  Are we counting Viewtiful Joe, VJ2, VJ:Red Hot Rumble Double Trouble. Also Okami and God Hand under the Platinum Games umbrella?   

If so I played VJ and Okami Wii. 
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2021, 10:34:27 AM »
Isn't Bayo 1 and 2 on Switch or was that the Wii U in a dual pack?
They’re on Switch. If you get the physical version, Bayonetta 1 is a download code. On Wii U, each game is on a separate disc.

Also didn't Clover Studio turn into Platinum games?  Are we counting Viewtiful Joe, VJ2, VJ:Red Hot Rumble Double Trouble. Also Okami and God Hand under the Platinum Games umbrella?
A few key people from Clover Studio founded SEEDS Inc. which merged with another company to form PlatinumGames. Okami and God Hand were both developed by Clover Studio. I thought Bayonetta was PlatinumGames’ first release. Apparently, it was Mad World.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2021, 09:58:26 PM »
I actually own all the games listed except for Astral Chains, but I do plan on buying that one eventually when it's on sale.

Madworld:  It's an ok title but was not worth for full price I paid for it back in 2009.  The boss fights were fun but the normal combat got pretty repetitive after a while.

Infinite Space:  I own the game but still need to play it one of these days.

Bayonetta:  I'd say this is their best game I've played.  Lots of gameplay and enemy variety with a pretty deep combat system and amazing boss fights.

Bayonetta 2: Overall it is still a great game and I still loved it enough to 100%, but the combat is a step down from the first game.  This game pretty much requires you to use Witch Time and Umbran Climax to take down enemies, while the first game gave you a lot more options.  This made the 1st Bayo way more fun to replay, especially on the hardest settings.  Also the lack of Kamiya really shows since the end of the game doesn't even try to top what he did in the first game.  Say what you will about the man but he knows how to end his games and would not have allowed that sorry excuse for a final boss that Bayo 2 did.

The Wonderful 101:  This games had amazing highs but is way too bloated.  For one there's way too many shooting sections that are only used once and never again.  The problem is many of these sections are not very good and go on longer then they have any right too.  In Bayonetta there was at least some restraint where it was only 2 sections in the whole game, but here it's like every other part has to have at least one of these things.  Now the normal combat sections that make up the majority of the game are good, but even those go on way too long at times as well.

Of course speaking of the combat, the game has an amazing combat system that's the deepest I've ever played in an action game, but the game itself doesn't even remotely tell you how to properly use it.  My first time through the game was an awkward mess that I only kept going because of the amazing set pieces.  After I beat the game I then looked up some Youtube video's because I wanted to see how it was even possible to fight some of these bosses without taking damage and saw things being done that I didn't even know were possible.  I then replayed it on Hard mode and had a much better time and really loved it after that, but good God that is a terrible way to make people get good at your game.  It's like Kamiya made a game for himself and forgot to tell everyone else how to play it.

Getting these issues out of the way though, when the game is good though, it becomes HOLY **** INCREDIBLE.  The boss fights in particular once you've fully learn the combat system are literally the best in gaming.  The amount of depth and variety put into these is just mind blowing.  The final level in particular lives up to the hype and is literally the most epic ending to a game ever.  I said earlier the Bayonetta 1 is their best game, which I agree because it's the most balanced all the way through, but the highs in The Wonderful 101 completely destroy the highs of that game and literally most other games in general.  The only problem is all the bloat and filler, combined with so many not so fun shooting sections bring down the overall experience.

Star Fox Zero:  It's a decent remake of Star Fox 64 and I liked the controls for the most part, but they did get kind of annoying with some of the more challenging sections.  Also kind of annoying the amount of content they end up reusing at the end.  Star Fox 64 is still the better game to play since it's controls are better, has better variety of levels and more fun to replay in general.

Star Fox Guard:  Own it but still need to play it.

So overall I enjoy the games Platinum puts out.  This is why I still plan on buying Astral Chains in the near future and look forward to Bayonetta 3.  Just hopefully Bayo 3 takes the combat back to how the 1st game did it compared to the 2nd.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai