Author Topic: NBA Thread: Brought To You By The Tampa Bay Raptors Of Toronto  (Read 674417 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: NBA Thread: Season Suspended Due To Pandemic And Gobert Dumbassery
« Reply #2325 on: July 24, 2020, 02:47:49 PM »
I'm glad that even though the game is back (I haven't watched anything but highlights so far) that they continue to use the post game pre game and mid game, Jersey and anything else they can to keep the awareness in the forefront of the media narrative.

I was a little skeptical that the push would fade as the focus changed, but given how the events of the world.... Excuse me, the dire events of the US are playing out right now, I think it'll be easy for everyone to be reminded of the yeah at hand and what ultimately needs to happen going forward.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: July 31, 2020, 01:06:53 AM »
Great win tonight. The Lakers shouldn’t be giving up 13 point leads. Nice to see Dion Waiters get a lot of run. The next seven games are going to be critical for getting him more comfortable. I would have liked to see Markieff Morris get more run. Frank Vogel is probably trying to ease him back into the rotation. I’d rather have Morris on Leonard or George than KCP.

Disappointed the Pelicans lost. I’d rather they make the playoffs because Lakers vs. Pelicans would be a better series than Lakers vs. Grizzlies. Rudy Gobert with the game winning free throws. Brandon Ingram is pretty clutch, but that was not a great final shot. It was contested, and J. J. Reddick was like right there. I feel like the Pelicans are being too careful with Zion Williamson. He played 15 minutes. Y’all had eight games to make it into the playoffs. If you’re not going to play him after four months of additional rest and recovery while he got in significantly better shape, why are you even in the bubble right now?

Nice to see everyone kneeling during the National Anthem. These are the kinds of statements I was hoping to see when the league announced the season was resuming.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2327 on: July 31, 2020, 01:10:04 AM »
Disappointed the Pelicans lost.

Same.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Re: NBA Thread: The Happiest Postseason Bubble On Earth
« Reply #2328 on: July 31, 2020, 08:53:35 AM »
Mostly agree with everything Adrock said.

Lakers feel like a stronger, better team overall than Clippers right now... but games don't get much closer than we saw last night. Assuming the presumed collision course stays on-track, it will be very interesting to see their battles over the next couple of weeks.

The strict minute limit for Zion seems ridiculous. I get that he's considered the future... but they couldn't spare 3-5 extra minutes of play for him after months of layoff? Fans, players, and most importantly Zion himself all got robbed by not having him in the game for the closing minutes.  (But hey, I'm no doctor. Maybe there are really legitimate reasons that I don't know about.)
NNID: ejamer

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2329 on: July 31, 2020, 02:32:19 PM »
From my understanding Markief and Zion has just finished quarenteening and had just arrived into the bubble days prior so that is why they didn't get much run.

As to the games both were good and I enjoyed them.  Both games had the Lakers in some form either former or current. Jazz with Clarkson and the Pels with Lonzo, Hart and Ingram so I was happy either way.  As  a Suns fan though it was nice seeing the Pelicans lose just so we can see if we can make a push for the 8th seed. Yes it is very unlikely we make a run and a lot of things must go right but there is a chance.

The Clippers vs Lakers game was really good minus that start of the 3rd quarter.  I really liked Kuzma and his play in guarding Kawhi. He has had success this year guarding Westbrook, Tatum and now Kawhi.  I also liked his form with his 3 point shot. The scrimage games carried over to the 1st of the 8 games. It is good to see. 

Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: August 01, 2020, 11:05:08 PM »
The Raptors sweep the season series because the Lakers just didn't feel like playing basketball tonight.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: August 02, 2020, 08:12:48 AM »
The Raptors sweep the season series because the Lakers just didn't feel like playing basketball tonight.

Hahaha... I'm seeing a lot of this sentiment online, but it's crap. Lakers lost because they were outplayed.

Both teams are excellent defensively, both teams are a bit rusty. Games aren't all going to be beautiful - but shutting down superstar opponents and winning ugly games is exactly in the Raptors wheelhouse. They were the third best team in the NBA this season (right behind LAL in the standings) for a reason, and that script is something that played out many times over the season.

But hold onto those sour grapes if they make you feel better. Raptors being a legit (if unlikely) contender clearly isn't a narrative some people are interested in.
 ;D

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: August 02, 2020, 01:36:08 PM »
Hahaha... I'm seeing a lot of this sentiment online, but it's crap. Lakers lost because they were outplayed.
LOL, what part is crap? Of course the Lakers got outplayed. They lost. Any team gets outplayed when the opposing team beats them. 🤷‍♀️

However, a team doesn’t lose by 15 points in a pretty even matchup if they play like they want to be there. Anthony Davis, for example, had seven field goal attempts. He didn’t assert himself like he did against the Clippers. The Lakers in general did not look invested which they’ve done numerous times this season often after winning big games. Except this was a big game too against a top team in the league. The Lakers could have clinched first in the West with a win then played James and Davis limited minutes (or not at all) for the next six games. They think they can just coast through a game and turn it on at the end. That isn’t going to work against quality competition unless the other team comes out flat as well.

Note that I did not say the Lakers absolutely would have won if they felt like playing basketball. At the very least, we would have gotten a better game. Lakers vs. Clippers on Thursday was sloppy but good. Lakers vs. Raptors was sloppy but bad.
But hold onto those sour grapes if they make you feel better. Raptors being a legit (if unlikely) contender clearly isn't a narrative some people are interested in.
 ;D
You’re talking trash about spectator sports neither of us have any direct involvement in. Grow up.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 01:46:24 PM by Adrock »

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: August 03, 2020, 11:47:50 AM »
Nope.

I'm pretty sure that after your team loses and you attribute that to a bunch of well-rested pros who simply "didn't feel like playing basketball" instead of giving credit to the other team for playing tough defense and giving more effort, that's a weak cop out and disrespectful to players on both teams.

AD didn't play well? Gasol (and overall team defense) might be due some credit.
Lakers couldn't stop the Raptors in crunch time? Lowry might deserve some credit for leading the offensive charge, knowing that the Lakers have lost a couple of key defenders at the point.

Not sure about where you grew up, but we were taught that humility includes giving some credit after a loss, instead of lame one-liners that discredit the opponent.

But maybe you are right. The loss is just because the Lakers didn't feel like playing, and I need to grow up.
 :rolleyes:

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: August 03, 2020, 02:32:39 PM »
I'm pretty sure that after your team loses and you attribute that to a bunch of well-rested pros who simply "didn't feel like playing basketball" instead of giving credit to the other team for playing tough defense and giving more effort, that's a weak cop out and disrespectful to players on both teams.
Come on, man. Seriously? My initial post about this game was a half-joke (more on that later). I tried to clarify with my next post and you're still coming at me. Alright, let's try this again:

1. The Lakers lost because the Raptors outplayed them.
2. The Lakers lost by 15 points because they came out flat and thought they could coast through a game.
3. Criticizing the Lakers is not the same thing as discrediting the Raptors.

A team can get outplayed without also getting blown out. I'm not taking anything away from the Raptors. I've acknowledged twice now that they played a better game than the Lakers so I don't know what else you want me to say. In fact, I actually really like the Raptors' chances this year:
As long as the Raptors are healthy, I have more faith in them in the playoffs than the Bucks. The Raptors are playoff tested, Leonard or no Leonard.
So don't come at me like I haven't given credit where credit is due.

I was merely commenting on how poorly the Lakers played. For example, Danny Green missed six wide open three pointers. That's bad defense. However, in my humble opinion, that's worse offense. If you can't hit open shots, you're playing a **** game from that end of the floor. Full stop.

I don't think the Raptors did anything particularly special guarding Anthony Davis. There were a few minutes late in the third quarter when Davis was actively attacking the basket. He was drawing fouls at will. The Lakers didn't really go back to that, and there was no real reason for it either considering he was 9/9 from the free throw line, and Gasol and Ibaka both had five fouls.

Honestly, I think you're way too hung up on the "Lakers just didn't feel like playing basketball tonight" line. I've made this and similar comments numerous times in this thread as a shorthand joke for a team (not just the Lakers) playing poorly. You never complained about them before so it feels like you're being a homer because the other team was the Raptors.
Not sure about where you grew up, but we were taught that humility includes giving some credit after a loss, instead of lame one-liners that discredit the opponent.
Passive aggressive personal insults are completely uncalled for.
But maybe you are right. The loss is just because the Lakers didn't feel like playing, and I need to grow up.
 :rolleyes:
Dude, you need to stop misrepresenting other people's words. Sure, my initial post about the game was unclear. Then, I elaborated yet you're still running with "The loss is just because the Lakers didn't feel like playing."

And yeah, you do need to grow up considering how weirdly defensive you get about the Raptors (numerous instances in this thread) and are now at the point where you're hurling insults at me on an online message board.

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: August 03, 2020, 04:51:10 PM »
Sure dude, whatever.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: August 03, 2020, 07:36:08 PM »
Sure dude, whatever.
Yeah, okay. Thanks for proving my point about needing to grow up.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: August 03, 2020, 09:45:05 PM »
The Jazz are killing me. I missed the first three minutes, but since then, they have passed up three layups for kick out three pointers. Where’s broodwars when you need him?

EDIT:

The Lakers clinch the first seed in the West. They’re lucky Jordan Clarkson couldn’t hit fish in a barrel if the barrel was also made of fish. This f-ing team loooooooves giving up wide open three pointers.

I’m glad the Pelicans played Zion Williamson and picked up a win. It helps to beat the Grizzlies, but I think it’s too little, too late. If the Spurs pulled off that comeback, it would made things a lot more interesting.

The Sixers are similarly killing me. They almost lost that game after giving up a double digit lead in the fourth quarter. It’s like they thought DeMar DeRozan’s points don’t count. That Shake Milton game winner was nice though.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 12:03:55 AM by Adrock »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: August 05, 2020, 09:59:16 PM »
Oof, Lakers got worked. I get Vogel was trying new rotations and the game didn’t matter as far as seeding. Still, this was uglier than it should have been. At some point, this team has to start playing basketball and stop building houses for the Orlando community. That’s a joke about how many three pointers the Lakers bricked (again). Most were wide open. They’re getting embarrassed in the playoffs if they keep shooting like this. Dion Waiters’ poor shooting almost felt intentional. But hey, Danny Green finally hit a couple. 🥳

And to be clear because I don’t feel like hearing about this later, the Thunder played harder and clearly wanted the win more. At the very least, the Lakers avoided injuries, but that KCP collision was scary. I hope they play better tomorrow night.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: August 14, 2020, 12:06:26 AM »
I don’t know what Caris LeVert was thinking with that step back jumper as time expired. He was getting to the basket pretty easily all game.

I’m disappointed the Suns won’t be in the play-in game(s). They were the only team that went 8-0 in the bubble. Devin Booker was just stupid good. Ideally, it would have been Blazers vs. Suns once Jaren Jackson Jr. went down with the torn meniscus.

I have the Blazers securing the eighth seed since they only need one win. I’m a little concerned about CJ McCollum. He’s been playing with a fractured vertebrae since the first restart game. I’m sure team doctors okayed him to play. Still, I don’t putz with back injuries. I pulled a muscle in my back early last month, and I’m still feeling it. Different injury; same general area. Mess up your back, and you can’t play anymore.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2340 on: August 14, 2020, 12:31:08 AM »
If playoffs start next week.... and the Blazers and Grizz are in the Play-In Berth.... when do they play each other for the 8th seed? And how does that work anyway, as Blazers have the better record after tonights win.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: August 14, 2020, 01:18:04 AM »
1. Probably Saturday then Sunday if needed. The last seeding games are tomorrow, and there are no games scheduled this weekend.

EDIT: Game one will tip-off on Saturday at 11:30 a.m. PT on ABC, and game two (if necessary) would take place on Sunday at 1:30 p.m. PT on ESPN.

2. Since the Blazers are the eighth seed, they only need to beat the Grizzlies once. The Grizzlies need to beat the Blazers twice so if they win the first game, they will play the Blazers again. Otherwise, the Blazers just advance. I imagine these games will be played on separate days. The Lakers’ first playoff game is on Tuesday so the winner of the play-in games will get at least a day off.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 01:49:31 AM by Adrock »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: August 14, 2020, 02:34:36 AM »
Should've had the Grizz and Suns play for a single shot at the Blazers. Winner gets the 8th seed.

Considering the Grizz and Suns have the same record, and the Suns are 8-0 in the Bubble (only undefeated team in the bubble), I'd really rather see the Suns get a shot at the Play-In vs Grizz for a single game shot at the Blazers for the 8th seed.

I'm also looking on ESPN.com and while the Game 1 vs Lakers (8seed vs 1seed) is scheduled for Tuesday as TBD, there is no match on Sat or Sun matchup or any game listed for either of those teams to "play-in".

Edit: looks like they set to play tomorrow, and then again on Sunday if necessary.

I really think it should've been Suns v Grizz on Saturday.
Winner plays Blazers on Sunday.
That would've been much more interesting.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 03:37:57 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: August 18, 2020, 04:58:24 PM »
The Magic just upset the Bucks. Technically, the Magic is the only team with home court advantage. I'm not ready to be on Magic Island. This was a really impressive win though I expect the Bucks to win the next four.

Other thoughts:

No, Donovan Mitchell, noooooooooooo.....

Kristaps Porziņģis getting ejected was one of the weakest ejections I've ever seen. His first technical was ridiculous. Punching the air because he disagreed with a call. Fine, but call it every time. That doesn't change my overall opinion on these matters. Find a way to win. I'm glad the Mavericks didn't make excuses. They still kept it close because Luka Dončić is ridiculous. This might be a more competitive series than I thought.

Here are my predictions for the first round:

East
  • Bucks in 5: I don't know what the **** happened today. I only watched the fourth quarter. This is what I meant when I said I trust the Raptors more than the Bucks in the playoffs. That said, I'm not fully convinced the Magic can take the series. Is Nikola Vucevic going to score 35 points every night? Probably not.
  • Heat in 4: I'm not too familiar with these teams. I've seen more of the Heat. I trust Jimmy Butler more in the playoffs. Unrelated: If the Bucks don't win the championship this year, I see Giannis Antetokounmpo signing with the Heat.
  • Celtics in 7: If the Sixers didn't lose Ben Simmons, I would have said Sixers in 5 because they had the Celtics number all year. That said, without Simmons, I'll give it to the Celtics. With Gordon Hayward out four weeks, that evens things out a bit. Still, I think Simmons is a bigger loss.
  • Raptors in 4: The Nets play hard; they're not getting a game against the Raptors. They're simply outmanned. The Raptors are too good.

West
  • Lakers in 5: Damian Lillard is excellent, but he had to put up video game number up against mid-tier teams to will the Blazers into the playoffs. I'll give them one game, maybe two. The Blazers aren't a good defensive team, and they have no answer for Lebron James and especially Anthony Davis. Your best bet against Davis is to put a large body on him, double team, and hope he doesn't make a play for the basket.
  • Thunder in 4: Russell Westbrook will miss at least Game 1. Unless he comes back in Game 2, it's over. The Thunder took everyone by surprise this year. I trust Chris Paul more in the playoffs than James Harden.
  • Nuggets in 6: I want to root against the Nuggets, but I can't here. I'm a big Mitchell fan, and that 8 second violation was painful.
  • Clippers in 6: Nothing would give me greater joy than to watch the Clippers fall in the first round. DonÄŤić is ridiculous (he gets my vote for Most Improved Player), and I'm going to enjoy watching him play for the next 15 years. The Clippers are too deep. There were huge swaths of time Kawhi Leonard didn't touch the ball. When he did, he got whatever he wanted. That was the quietest 29 points I've seen.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: August 18, 2020, 07:24:36 PM »
Those are reasonable predictions.
Hilarity ensues one the Rockets are eliminated by the Thunder.

I also would like the Blazers to take out the Lakers, then last long enough to play the clippers, but that's highly unlikely.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: August 18, 2020, 08:55:02 PM »
Those are reasonable predictions.
Hilarity ensues one the Rockets are eliminated by the Thunder.
Looking like I'll have to take back that Thunder sweep. I'm still taking them for the series. I couldn't predict the Rockets would shoot 10% better on three pointers and their bench going off.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: August 19, 2020, 12:00:54 AM »
The Lakers deserved to lose that game. Keep disrespecting your opponents and see what happens. The Lakers have been doing that the entire bubble. Also, when you're up by six in the fourth quarter and shooting roughly 0.000003% from the arc and you decide to keep shooting three pointers instead of driving to the basket which was there all game whenever you wanted it, you've decided to accept an L.

They lost by seven, and they aren't really running the pick and roll. If they shoot say, 15 fewer three pointers and run the pick and roll instead, they probably win this game. I hope to see some adjustments on Thursday, but judging by the previous eight bubble games, they're going to keep jacking up three pointers hoping Kobe The Sixth Man's them into the basket. Anyone else remember that 1997 film? No? Alrighty.

The Lakers are going to lose this series if they keep doing **** like that. I kept thinking James was just taking it easy early on so he would have tons of energy in the fourth quarter, but he barely drove the ball. Davis shooting 13% from the field and air balling threes is not helping either. And Dion Waiters played negative eight seconds somehow.

For Game 2 (not that I'm an expert):
  • Limit shooting three pointers if not at least 30% by halftime.
    • Danny Green gets five chances to hit at least two three pointers. Failing that, pump fake then drive. It's there all game.
    • Alex Caruso isn't allowed to waste possessions shooting three pointers.
  • Run the pick and roll.
  • Attack the basket and get Nurkic and Whiteside in foul trouble.
  • If Nurkic and Whiteside are off the floor, attack the basket even more.
  • Lillard and McCollum will get theirs, make it hard for them and force anyone else to beat you.
  • Play Dion Waiters for the love of......... otherwise, why did you sign him?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 12:28:48 AM by Adrock »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: August 19, 2020, 12:48:10 AM »
BLAZERS TAKE GAME 1!!!!

is it happening!!!?
I don't think it is, but it's fun to see it play out

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: August 19, 2020, 01:09:57 AM »
is it happening!!!?
I don't think it is, but it's fun to see it play out
It is. Might as well be pick up where they left off the last time they were in the playoffs and get swept again.

This year, I don’t care who wins as long as it isn’t the Clippers. I still hate that team’s attitude. “We’re the underdogs even though we have Kawhi Leonard and Paul George.” **** all the way off.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #2349 on: August 19, 2020, 02:07:17 AM »
...they're going to keep jacking up three pointers hoping Kobe The Sixth Man's them into the basket. Anyone else remember that 1997 film? No? Alrighty.

I had to really think about that reference.  Angels in the Outfield pretty much owns the real estate in my brain for "sports team gets help from dead people" media.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.