Author Topic: Metroid Prime for Home Consoles Not Coming Until Next Console  (Read 12033 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it

Developing a Prime's worth of content takes time.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/40578/metroid-prime-for-home-consoles-not-coming-until-next-console

If there is a Metroid Prime for home consoles in development, it will target the next Nintendo console.

Metroid Prime series produced Kensuke Tanabe spoke to Eurogamer at E3, and confirmed that the time to develop the amount of content in a Metroid Prime game would take several years.

"It's a long time but it would need to include a lot of content, which would take a lot of work on the development side." - Kensuke Tanabe

The interview also indicates that the game would follow new plot threads after a couple of the long-standing ones were cleared up in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption.

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Metroid Prime For Home Consoles Not Coming Until Next Console
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 06:35:56 PM »
So, Nintendo has really given up on Wii U. Since they're aware of this. Get to work!
I don't want them next generation saying they were unprepared for it. They should be hard at work on something that is at LEAST as powerful as a XboxOne or ps4 target specifications. If they don't have something ready for 2017 than they have no idea how to make schedules. It sounds like they haven't even started.....sigh
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 06:57:44 PM »
Can't say I'm overly surprised.

Target whatever is a High End gaming PC now and lock in those specs.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 07:29:14 PM »
Release game?
Made you look ****.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 08:48:53 PM »
Release game?

That would be the best time for it. Launch window works well for hard-core niche games because people are more willing to try stuff due to lack of selection.

Offline the asylum

• Score: -28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 09:27:28 PM »
If they're not developing new Metroid for the Wii U, then that means they're developing new F-Zero!

...let me be delusional

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 09:35:43 PM »
They've been developing Metroid: Other Other M.
I'd buy it.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Chiramii

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Neogaf
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 10:39:13 PM »
If they're not developing new Metroid for the Wii U, then that means they're developing new F-Zero!

...let me be delusional
Don't let your dreams be dreams.
Lovin' my Pikachu 3DS XL

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 01:19:13 AM »
Not really a huge surprise.  It took 3 years to make Prime 3 and that was a game running on a modified engine of Gamecube games.  Having to make a new engine for the Wii U alone would have made things more complicated, and then there's the fact pretty much everyone who worked on the Prime games has left Retro which would probably slow development as well since Nintendo has to train the current staff of Retro to make a game like this again. 

Only way a Metroid for the Wii U is released is if Retro was working on a 2D one using the Tropical Freeze engine since it would cost less and be quicker for Retro to make.  But for Prime 4, anything less then a 2017 release for the next home console is very unlikely.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 05:05:22 AM »
I really wish they'd move on from Prime. I'd love to see a new Metroid game, but something legitimately new, not just yet another Prime. For all its faults, Other M tried something different, and I respect it for that.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline motang

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 09:43:21 AM »
Well that's a bummer, was hoping to get one on the Wii U, would be great with the gamepad.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 01:09:40 PM »
This doesn't rule out a more traditional Metroid game on the Wii U. They commented on this last year at E3.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
Re: Metroid Prime for Home Consoles Not Coming Until Next Console
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 02:22:14 PM »
For a metroid game: The worlds on these games are relatively small. The only way to travel around them is on foot. I wouldn't mind seeing a metroid game where the world is gigantic, but every little piece of it is just as brimming as life as prime or super metroid.

like an assassins creed game where you take on bounty targets and you bomb EVERYWHERE to find things. Maybe hunt alien creatures and trade them in for money. Fly from planet to planet. Upgrade your ship. I'm half tempted to say every time you travel to a major planet something happens and you lose your upgrades and have to find the upgrades on the planet.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 03:40:22 PM »
So, Nintendo has really given up on Wii U. Since they're aware of this. Get to work!
I don't want them next generation saying they were unprepared for it. They should be hard at work on something that is at LEAST as powerful as a XboxOne or ps4 target specifications. If they don't have something ready for 2017 than they have no idea how to make schedules. It sounds like they haven't even started.....sigh

At "least" as powerful?  How is that is going to fly?  Isn't that just the Wii U?  "Hey everyone here's Nintendo several years late to the party... AGAIN."  No, the NX needs to provide some advantage.  Being adequate isn't gong to matter.

The people in charge are the same and they show no sign of cluing in.  How is Nintendo in 2015 different than Nintendo of the Wii U launch?  I see no difference.  We're all pointing out how they're not offering voice chat in co-op online games and how they just revealed a Metroid game that outright pisses off a good 99% of the Metroid fandom.  Does the Nintendo that has completing botched meeting demand for Amiibos fill you with confidence for the future?  Is their mantra still not "please understand"?

Nothing's changed.  It's the same idiots in charge that are clueless as ever.  The NX will probably be some underpowered gimmick-controller machine like the Wii U because that's all the Iwata-led leadership knows.  They don't know why the Wii U failed.  They're probably focused on something insignificant or they blame it on outside factors.

If Nintendo really got their **** together when it was clear the Wii U was a flop we would already be seeing the effects of it.  The writing was on the wall over a year ago.  The second that disastrous financial report was released everyone not in denial knew the Wii U was finished.  They're not going to figure this stuff out in the one or two years until the NX comes out.

Sony fucked up with the PS3 but clearly has gotten their **** together with the PS4.  That wasn't an overnight process.  The PS3 gradually became a better product as it went on.  You could see that Sony recognized the problems and were doing their best to correct them as the generation went on.  I don't see that with Nintendo but that's what we need to see.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015, 04:51:24 PM »
Nintendo has acknowledged that part of the problem was the software lineup, but I don't think just launching a console with games is the solution.

Ian is partially right in that an under-powered machine is going to put them in the same boat.  They end up with developers and publishers ****-talking the console and, more importantly, not putting out the games. 

In terms of the gimmick, I don't think Nintendo will ever let that go.  The Wii was successful because of its gimmick, and they probably view the joystick on the N64 as a gimmick.  But if it's limited in use, then it becomes another hard sell for the console.

But they should have trouble with a new home console anyway.  The question they would have to answer is: why buy the NX when I already own an Xb1 or a PS4?  For the Nintendo games?  Enough people are content to not own a Wii U, but is simply having a few more Nintendo games at launch going to work?  I dunno.  Hope so.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2015, 05:21:55 PM »
Whatever the NX is, I just hope Nintendo's actually working with Western 3rd party developers in designing it (there's no point in designing the console with Japanese devs in mind. They barely exist anymore). Ignoring Western 3rd party devs in designing the Wii U was probably the single biggest mistake Nintendo made outside of completely failing to produce compelling software early on, so if we once again see a Nintendo console where the likes of Bethesda; EA; Activision; Ubisoft; etc. weren't even consulted in its design, we'll know it's already doomed from the start.

As for the Metroid news, that really does put a perfect cap on what an incredibly disappointing failure the Wii U has turned out to be, doesn't it? No proper Metroid game, no proper 3D Mario game, and probably no proper Zelda game come this time next year.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2015, 05:35:26 PM »
All four of those devs are assholes. Nintendo should be compatible with their hardware. Not the western dev's bitch.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2015, 05:44:50 PM »
No proper Metroid game, no proper 3D Mario game, and probably no proper Zelda game come this time next year.

1 for 3. Good enough for the Baseball Hall of Fame, and the NWR forums...
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2015, 05:55:50 PM »
All four of those devs are assholes. Nintendo should be compatible with their hardware. Not the western dev's bitch.

Whether you like them or not, they are the major players in the 3rd party market, not the nearly-irrelevant Japanese publishers. If Nintendo doesn't consult with them in the design of the NX and design it per where they are going with their games, you can look forward to yet another Nintendo console with pitiful 3rd party support that dies 2-3 years in.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2015, 05:57:07 PM »
No proper Metroid game, no proper 3D Mario game, and probably no proper Zelda game come this time next year.

The Wii U doesn't have a Metroid game, 3D World is a largely-multiplayer game more in line with the New Super Mario Bros. series, and Zelda will not be a Wii U game by this time next year. It's so incredibly obvious at this point that that's an NX game, without question.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2015, 06:31:10 PM »
a couple of things I understand.

Wii was only marginally more powerful than Gamecube. Wii U was only as powerful as a ps3 or xbox 360(it has way more ram, and a better gpu, but the cpu clock-speed is slower). So technically it much more powerful than the other systems, but only if developers don't have lazy programmers. Developers have lazy programmers though. So counter-intiutive. They have to work to make graphics look good, which is something few will do.

Nintendo, when releasing a system has only been really aiming to hit the lowest target, and then there was some sort of newer expensive controller associated with it.

If Nintendo had ps4 graphics and the same controller it would be a home run 2 years from now. Why?
The wall has been hit. What is the wall? Well, what the wall is, is this thing we have been talking about for years. Where games look so good that any future improvements will look marginally different. I had expected this to happen between the ps3 to ps4 systems, but there really was a leap in graphics capabilities.

I don't see games looking so much better than ps4 though. The photo-realism quality of some games is pretty astounding. There has been a cost though. The price of a ps4 and an Xbox One are pretty expensive. I would hope the wii u would go down in price, but the fancy controller is whats hindering any price drops.  The wii u is overpriced. They can't get the price of the console down because the controller is so expensive. If it didn't have such a great controller im sure it would cost $100-$150 less by now.

we can speculate about nx all we want. I just hope it has some power. I hope Nintendo are prepared for the power. Those were things I wanted out of wii u though. On the other hand, the games that have been released on Wii U have all been good. I know Ian is really against the Wii U controller, but honestly if you think its a gimmick than your thinking its the wii controller. Its 95% a traditional controller. 4 face buttons, 2 shoulders, 2 triggers, 2 joysticks, and a d-pad. The only thing different about it is that it has a screen, which major convenience is for inventory/stats/maps.  I think there are a lot of good things about the wii u controller. There are still improvements to be made(the quicklaunch/multitasking could use some improvement)

another prediction Zelda Wii u will be a wii u game, but it will play on nx and launch with nx. There might be an improved version in the way they did Twilight princess. Except, i expect them not to tell us about the nx version until after the wii u version has shipped and been out for 2.5 months. I also imagine it would have some sort of expansion pack DLC. Nintendo seems to have finally succumb to the dlc world. Which, the way they are doing it is pretty positive. They basically are keeping a game alive. Heck Majoras mask followed the same model back in 2000. Except you had to buy a separate cart. Now eshop.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2015, 06:47:20 PM »

The Wii U doesn't have a Metroid game, 3D World is a largely-multiplayer game more in line with the New Super Mario Bros. series, and Zelda will not be a Wii U game by this time next year. It's so incredibly obvious at this point that that's an NX game, without question.

For better or worse there is no Wii U Metroid, however Zelda being on NX or Wii U is not mutually exclusive, and say what you want about 3D world but it is leagues away from the NSMB series in terms of quality. The combination of competent multiplayer and competent game design makes it my favourite Mario game, or at least the Mario game I had most fun playing.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2015, 06:56:04 PM »

Whether you like them or not, they are the major players in the 3rd party market, not the nearly-irrelevant Japanese publishers. If Nintendo doesn't consult with them in the design of the NX and design it per where they are going with their games, you can look forward to yet another Nintendo console with pitiful 3rd party support that dies 2-3 years in.
The devs only care about "can we sell this and make a profit?" They don't care whether the port is good or bad as long as it turns in a profit (see all Ubisoft PC games ever). They want a player base established and they want compatible hardware. You don't need to kiss their ass or consult them for it. Some common sense on Nintendo's side goes a long way.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2015, 07:06:43 PM »

The devs only care about "can we sell this and make a profit?" They don't care whether the port is good or bad as long as it turns in a profit (see all Ubisoft PC games ever). They want a player base established and they want compatible hardware. You don't need to kiss their ass or consult them for it.

Umm...yes, you DO. http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/199456/Bethesda_Its_too_late_for_thirdparty_support_on_Wii_U.php

- Bethesda vice president Pete Hines says that it's too late for Nintendo to gather third-party support for its Wii U console.

Bethesda currently has no plans to release games for the Nintendo Wii U, and when asked on GameTrailer's Bonus Round show whether there's a chance the company will bring games to the Wii U at some point, Hines said, "Honestly, it's not something I spend a lot of time thinking about."

The problem, says Hines, is that Nintendo didn't approach third-party developers early enough into the Wii U's development.

"You have to do what Sony and Microsoft have been doing with us for a long time," he notes. "It's not that every time we met with them we got all the answers that we wanted, but they involved us very early on, talking to folks like Bethesda and Gearbox, saying, 'Here's what we're doing, here's what we're planning, here's how we think it's going to work,' to hear what we thought, from our tech guys, and from an experience standpoint."

Nintendo did not provide any of this upfront legwork, Hines adds, and as such it was much more difficult for companies like Bethesda to choose to support the console.

"You have to spend an unbelieveable amount of time upfront doing that," Hines says. "If you're going to sort of decide 'Well, we're going to make a box and this is how it's going to work, and you should make games for it," - well, no! No is my answer!"

"I'm going to focus on other ones that better support what it is we're trying to do. You've got to spend more time trying to reach out to those folks before you even make the box when you're still designing it and thinking about how it's going to work."

That's not me saying Nintendo needs to consult with 3rd parties when developing their hardware. That's BETHESDA saying that.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2015, 08:07:53 PM »
This thread isn't even about Metroid anymore. Nice job, everyone.