Author Topic: The Major League Baseball Thread: Did SI Swipe The 2025 Sports Almanac?  (Read 56437 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: The Major League Baseball Thread: Did SI Swipe The 2025 Sports Almanac?
« Reply #175 on: March 26, 2018, 07:38:25 PM »
The Blue Jays have had another typical uneventful off-season while the Yankees and Red Sox added to their already playoff-caliber teams.  Those few years in the playoffs were fun but now I fear we're back into old AL East routine of Boston and New York fighting for first place with Toronto spinning their wheels in third while Baltimore and Tampa Bay "fight" for draft positions.  Now last year was a bad one for injuries so maybe the Jays are actually better than they appeared last year.  Bautista (who was TERRIBLE last year) and Encarnacion are gone but other than that it's pretty much the same lineup as the 2016 team who made the ALCS.  So maybe this lineup can still do it but it has lost key players and management hasn't made a good effort to replace them.  The goal seems more to have someone eating up the games in the position rather than replacing the departing player's production.

Alex Anthopoulos was the prior GM and was the architect of the recent playoff teams.  One thing I liked about him was that if the team wasn't going anywhere he tried to shake things up.  In 2013 he made some big trades that got the fanbase excited for the first time in at least ten years.  It did not work out but then he did a big shake up again in 2015 and it did work out and the Jays finally returned to the post-season.  I like that approach.  You're not going to get anywhere spinning your wheels as an okay-but-not-good-enough team so if you have some solid players to build around, you build around them.  Then if that is clearly not working after a few seasons you try something else.  That comes across like an attempt to contend for the World Series as opposed to just letting seasons pass by uneventfully where it's all fine as long as ownership still makes a profit.  The current GM has pretty much just sat on his butt since he arrived.  Now staying the course still allowed for a post-season appearance in 2016.  Is the approach here that the current core is a playoff team so you don't need to do anything with it or is it just spinning your wheels?  If this season isn't going anywhere by the all-star break there should be some sort of tweaking or rebuilding starting.  I want to see an actual plan in place to return to contention, not just filling up roster spots with warm bodies and trotting out a few stars for jersey sales.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 26, 2018, 08:12:49 PM »
The Blue Jays' current GM, Mark Shapiro, used to be with the Indians, and while he got a lot of credit for turning them into a contender the truth is the Indians didn't really start rolling until Shapiro moved up to team president and focused on the business side of things and renovating the stadium while Chris Antonetti took over the baseball side of things.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 27, 2018, 12:14:58 PM »
Actually Shapiro is the president.  Ross Atkins is the GM.  So if Shapiro is a better president than GM then I guess the Jays are doing it right.  But Atkins is Shapiro's guy and as I mentioned the prior GM that I liked effectively got squeezed out despite doing a great job.

Deep down I really just don't trust the ownership of the Jays.  They play in the third largest MLB city and have a fanbase covering an entire country of 35 million people but act like they're some poor small market team.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 03, 2018, 01:34:38 AM »
The 2018 MLB postseason kicked off tonight, and I'm not sure any game the rest of the way will be able to live up to this one. The Rockies knock off the Cubs 2-1 in a 13 inning pitchers duel of a Wild Card game that had a little bit of everything. The Cubs, who finished the regular season tied for the best  record in the National League, lose knockout games in their own building on back to back nights to become the first team eliminated. Just wow.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 03, 2018, 03:07:52 AM »
Yeah, it's a bit of a shame. I was hoping the Cubs would be around a bit longer.

I'm a bit conflicted about tomorrow's Wild Card actually. Ever since Moneyball, I've become a fan of Oakland as the perpetual underdog team. Yet, I think it would be a big event if the Yankees and Red Sox could meet up again in the playoffs and American League Championship series. (Provided Red Sox win it.) It's been awhile since that rivalry was played with those kinds of stakes again.

Basically, it's just the Red Sox I care about in the East and they've had a heck of year so I'm hoping they can pull off the World Series win in 2018 just like they did in 1918.

With the Cubs out in the NL, I'm mainly rooting for the Dodgers and the Brewers.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 03, 2018, 04:13:13 AM »
If the Yankees win they'll face Boston in the Division Series since as the Wild Card winner they'd face the #1 seed. The other ALDS matchup would be really interesting even if I weren't an Indians fan, as between them and Houston it's the two best pitching staffs in baseball facing off.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 03, 2018, 06:21:11 AM »
Oh yeah. Huh. For some reason, I thought the Yankees had more wins than Houston even though I knew the Yankees were playing the Wild Card game. Shows how much I care about the Astros.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 29, 2018, 12:36:14 AM »
Welp. They won it in 1918 and, 100 years later, the Red Sox are Champions in 2018 as well. They maintain a perfect year ending in 18 record.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #183 on: October 29, 2018, 08:22:38 AM »
Hopefully this starts another one of those 86-year streaks.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 26, 2019, 10:31:28 AM »
Necromancy: Thread Resurrection - RISE thread RISE from your grave!!!

Who Wants some FREE MLB.TV subscription (for T-Mobile customer only ;))
https://www.t-mobile.com/mlb

Free MLB.TV is back on 3/26.

It’s almost time to get your season-long MLB.TV subscription—a $118.99 value. Don’t forget to come back on 3/26 for details on how to redeem.

Limited-time offer; subject to change. For T-Mobile customers only. Must access T-Mobile Tuesdays and sign up for MLB.TV between 3/26/19 at 5 a.m. ET and 4/1/19 at 11:59 p.m. ET

Disclaimer: Do not use from a cellular device not on a T-Mobile network
Disclaimer: By taking advantage of free MLB.TV from T-Mobile, you will receive limited commercial emails related to MLB.TV and your one-year subscription. Redeem and sign up for MLB.TV by Monday, April 1, 2019, at 11:59 p.m. ET to receive a Free 2019 MLB Regular Season subscription to MLB.TV. Limited-time offer, subject to change. For T-Mobile customers only. Must be connected to T-Mobile's network to sign up; redemption not available over Wi-Fi or while roaming. New 2019 MLB.TV Subscribers only. Sharing of accounts is prohibited; not for use on other carriers’ wireless devices. Blackout and other restrictions apply.

Blackouts can be avoided by using VPN's

enjoy.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 26, 2019, 12:06:19 PM »
That's a pretty sweet deal. I'm not on T-Mobile but I'm already an MLB.tv subscriber and it's a great service, and I can confirm that VPNs work great.

J.P. Corbran