Author Topic: New Details Announced For Super Mario Maker  (Read 3517 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
New Details Announced For Super Mario Maker
« on: August 12, 2015, 07:50:49 AM »

Sound blocks, available tools and Amiibo confirmation

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/40938/new-details-announced-for-super-mario-maker

Nintendo has released a video showing off Super Mario Maker, including some features that have been unannounced.

Among the tools announced were a frog that can trigger sound and graphical effects, and the GamePad's microphone can be used to record new effects (such as "Happy birthday"). Shaking a music block in the editor will create a music block that plays a different pitch depending on its screen height, allowing for rudimentary music creation.

The trailer also reveals that a limited set of tools will be available on the first day the game played, with spending five minutes in the editor unlocking more items the next day.

The final part of the trailer confirms that every Amiibo except for the Mii Fighters will be usable in the game during the 8-bit mode.

You can see the video below:

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
Re: New Details Announced For Super Mario Maker
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 06:51:38 PM »
That tweet is incorrect.
So with the Mario Maker content unlock scheme, you can't make SMB 1-1 until Day 6.
From what I'm seeing, SMB 1-1 will be buildable on day 1.  The only items you get on day 6 are from NSMB Wii.  Am I missing something?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 06:58:09 PM »
That tweet is incorrect.
So with the Mario Maker content unlock scheme, you can't make SMB 1-1 until Day 6.
From what I'm seeing, SMB 1-1 will be buildable on day 1.  The only items you get on day 6 are from NSMB Wii.  Am I missing something?
From what I understand, the object all the way on the right of day 6's set is an entrance/exit modifier. So, without that item, you can't make an enterable warp pipe, which you need to make the secret underground area of SMB 1-1. Also, some of day 2's objects are in 1-1 (fire flower, star, 1-up).

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 07:31:18 PM »
I'm going to be that weird person that doesn't mind this perplexing unlock scheme. My justification for it being, "Well, I was going to play a bit of it everyday anyway, and this gradual introduction might be beneficial to the learning process."

Still, I can't really defend this design choice against those that wish to have total access on the first day.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 08:11:18 PM »

[size=0px]From what I understand, the object all the way on the right of day 6's set is an entrance/exit modifier. So, without that item, you can't make an enterable warp pipe, which you need to make the secret underground area of SMB 1-1. Also, some of day 2's objects are in 1-1 (fire flower, star, 1-up).[/size][/size]

Thanks,

I have no idea why a NSMBW asset is considered required for a SMB based level though.  I have a feeling people are incorrect in needing that object.  I'm probably the one that's wrong though.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 08:12:52 PM »

From what I understand, the object all the way on the right of day 6's set is an entrance/exit modifier. So, without that item, you can't make an enterable warp pipe, which you need to make the secret underground area of SMB 1-1. Also, some of day 2's objects are in 1-1 (fire flower, star, 1-up).

Thanks,

I have no idea why a NSMBW asset is considered required for a SMB based level though.  I have a feeling people are incorrect in needing that object.  I'm probably the one that's wrong though.
Well that got messed up.  Too bad you can't modify talkback posts.

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 08:34:44 PM »
There is no enter/exit modifier. To enter a pipe, you just drag Mario onto it and he automatically goes to the sublevel, where you then place an exit pipe. You repeat the process to make a return pipe to the main area.

The object to the far right of "Day 6" is a door. When you select it, you are given an entrance and exit door to place anywhere in the level.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 08:36:31 PM »
Sound effect and music creation sounds very fun! Now we can potentially make those music levels that are popular on YouTube. I knew the Frog Icon did something related to music...
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 08:57:12 PM »
Ah, I was just guessing based on the icons, I don't actually know what they do. Which of those objects is it then? Oh, is that grey ?-block an invisible block? There's one of those in 1-1. It's insignificant, but technically correct.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 09:49:30 PM »
Personally I understand why people are upset...and yet I understand why Nintendo did this.

I like the idea.  I like that this does a couple of things for the game.  1) Gives players time to explore all tools and learn how to create great games.  2) It limits the creation process so that the first creations are not too crazy. 3)  It gives a feeling of progress to a game that may have a hard time giving players that feeling of progress.

Offline sudoshuff

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 11:39:09 PM »
I also don't mind the daily unlock scheme.  It will keep the level editor simple at first and give me an opportunity to really play with each of the items.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 01:39:24 AM »
Ah, I was just guessing based on the icons, I don't actually know what they do. Which of those objects is it then? Oh, is that grey ?-block an invisible block? There's one of those in 1-1. It's insignificant, but technically correct.
Yes, the grey block represents the invisible block.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report