Author Topic: "New 3DS" model  (Read 31407 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: "New 3DS" model
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2015, 05:34:25 PM »
Compelling in the sense that both my shoulder triggers are nearly kaput. I can get a reaction out of the L button 1 in 20 times. I've been wanting to upgrade to an XL system since they came out as I still have a launch model and the smaller screens. I play my 3DS way more than my Wii U so faster loading times would be awesome and I play all my 3DS games in 3D so having a better 3D screen is also very appealing.

All that makes it very compelling. Yet, it might be nice to own a limited edition handheld for once. Although if I don't care for the design, I'll have waited for nothing. I don't think there was a limited edition in Japan though. If Japan doesn't have one, I don't think N/A gets one. I wish Nintendo would announce things sooner.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2015, 05:36:05 PM »
If you haven't gotten your New 3DS yet but do have your MicroSD, I'd suggest you copy all your stuff onto the MicroSD now and use it in your current 3DS through an adapter. That's what I did earlier in the week, and because of that I was able to just pull the micro out of my old 3DS and slide it right into the new one after the transfer.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2015, 07:59:58 PM »
I got mine suckas!! First 3DS, nothing to transfer. Went to six stores before I found it.

« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2015, 12:53:22 AM »
Few quick questions and them I will be getting either 3DS XL or New 3DS XL.

Do these support SD cards or do they have internal memory for eshop releases?

What games are natively playable, I know 3DS and New 3DS but is normal DS and DSi stuff playable? I am assuming no GBA without Virtual Console?

Do either of these support audio out?

If I get a New 3DS where do I get a charger and how much do they run for?

Are there actually any other games that work on New 3DS or is it just Xenoblade? Also is that game out yet?

Should I get the game on New 3DS or pick up a Wii copy for Wii U or has there been any confirmation on a Wii U VC release?

Do they play carts or whatever like DS or do 3DS games come on SD cards are they digital only whats the deal here?

I am planning on getting something either tomorrow or Friday, not sure what I will get but the plan is either 3DS XL or New 3DS Xl haven't completely decided yet.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2015, 01:19:34 AM »
-The normal system has internal memory and also an SD card, and the "new" model has internal memory and uses microSD cards. The internal is small, like 2GB or something and is filled mostly by the OS and updates. The normal XL includes a 4 GB SD card and the New 3DS XL includes a 4 GB microSD card. The systems can officially recognise SD or micro SD cards up to 32GB, but it's possible to use up to 128 if you format it properly.

-DS game cards and DSiWare are both fully playable on both the normal and New 3DS. Anything that may require an accessory that used the DS's GBA slot will of course not work (Guitar Hero for example).

-Both systems have a headphone jack, and there's a certain cable you could get to connect it to external speakers. I don't know what this cable might be called but I have one myself.

-The AC charger is MSRP $9.99. GameStop probably has them, other stores might too. Nintendo's Website certainly will.

-The only announced New 3DS exclusive is Xenoblade which will release in the US in April. A few games have functionality only when played on the New 3DS though; for example Smash Bros. can use the C-Stick for smash attacks, and Miiverse is available.

-No confirmation on Xenoblade on Wii U, but seems unlikely for now. The 3DS version isn't out yet so tough to say, but the game doesn't really add anything new so playing it on Wii would be fine. It'd also look better on Wii.

-Retail 3DS games come on game cards that are the same shape as DS game cards, which are slightly larger than normal SD cards. The only differences are that 3DS game cards are grey instead of black, and they have a little notch at the top to prevent them from being inserted into a DS or DSi. Most 3DS retail games are also available digitally from the eShop, but not all (usually older games). And there are of course some exclusive download games, like Wii U has and such.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2015, 01:48:56 AM »
For charging i recommend getting USB cable for DSi (3DS has the same charging slot). I got a cable for both DS Lite and DSi for like 2 bucks on play-asia or dealextreme when i left my OG 3DS charger in a hotel.

Shipping takes weeks though.

They should have done slot compatible with mini-USB and saved everyone a lot of headache...
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2015, 12:56:15 AM »
plan is to go to town tomorrow do my shopping then will report what I settle on. Thanks for the reply.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2015, 11:56:56 AM »
For charging i recommend getting USB cable for DSi (3DS has the same charging slot). I got a cable for both DS Lite and DSi for like 2 bucks on play-asia or dealextreme when i left my OG 3DS charger in a hotel.

Shipping takes weeks though.

They should have done slot compatible with mini-USB and saved everyone a lot of headache...

Yeah, I got one of those and it blew the fuse on my DS Lite.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 20, 2015, 05:01:25 PM »
I've had several 3DS USB cables without issue, but yeah, there's risk. You might want to go on Amazon and pay a bit more for one from a more established company. I got one that doesn't appear to be available anymore that included a USB cable plus adapters that you could use to charge it with a wall outlet or a car.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2015, 06:41:27 PM »
I want the New 3DS XL. Saw it at Best Buy yesterday - huge improvement.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 21, 2015, 01:35:59 AM »
I was really hoping that the added processing juice would help the new 3DS XL run stuff like Pokemon smoother when the 3D is cranked up, but that very muchh does not seem to be the case.

Regardless, now I'm part of the cool kids club. that, and i was able to deck out all my trained amiibo with custom moves now to make them even more scary...!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2015, 01:46:08 AM »
I don't think X/Y were programmed with the ability to use the extra processing power. It doesn't just get automatically thrown into older games. Did OR/AS have improvements? That released around the time N3DS came out in Japan so it might have been programmed with the ability to use the extra hardware power.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2015, 09:56:04 AM »
My assumption would be that it is like the PSP where only games released after the updated hardware took advantage of the extra power.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2015, 11:56:44 AM »
It would also depend on how the games were programmed. Nintendo has been known to build their games with an ability to detect and maximize available resources. I hear Perfect Dark emulated on a high end PC plays perfectly thanks to the extra ram. Though since these measures are put in place before they knew what sort of extra power could be available to them it would only be minor performance improvements.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2015, 11:40:10 AM »

I've been thinking about this for a while... and have decided that I'll probably grab one of these new consoles eventually.

When Xenoblade is released for New 3DS XL, that will be the biggest incentive for me. But with Metal Gear Solid 3D and Resident Evil and Monster Hunter all sitting on my shelf, the desire to play those games using the improved (ie: supposedly more stable) 3D and extra control stick is very appealing.

This kind of got me thinking though: what older games will benefit most from having a New 3DS XL console? The three I list above are the only ones that came to mind... am I missing anything big? Seems like a few eShop games might have also offered Circle Pad Pro support?
NNID: ejamer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 24, 2015, 06:49:08 PM »
It would also depend on how the games were programmed. Nintendo has been known to build their games with an ability to detect and maximize available resources. I hear Perfect Dark emulated on a high end PC plays perfectly thanks to the extra ram.
This isn't quite the case, no. I don't know the technical jargon, but basically this was just the result of a quirk with the way some games were programmed with the CPU and the way they handled slowdown. When the games are emulated on a system with a faster CPU (for example, Wii), they are able to run at a stable framerate due to this quirk. It doesn't even need to be an emulator, the CPU in a real N64 can be modded to be overclocked, which will have the same effect.

However, only some games worked like this, and others would just run at a faster game speed on emulators or with the overclock mod. One example of this is StarFox 64, which ran faster than normal on the Wii VC until it was later patched to run properly. This is actually one reason why N64 emulation has been difficult on Wii and probably one reason why we never saw more games and they're not bothering to try on Wii U.

The bottom line is that no N64 game was specifically programmed to work with better hardware, the quirk that allows some games to run smoothly was not intentional and causes most games to run worse.