Author Topic: Fake "Update Java" redirects?  (Read 3610 times)

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
Fake "Update Java" redirects?
« on: May 05, 2014, 09:58:18 AM »
I'm getting a lot of auto redirects to a page asking me to click to update Java. Not sure where it's coming from, but you guys might want to investigate.

Pretty sure it's some kind of malware/hijacking on your end because the redirect doesn't happen for anything except this site. Seems random, so maybe it's attached to certain ads? Just posting this as an FYI because I wasn't sure who to notify. Feel free to delete once it's been seen/dealt with.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Re: Fake "Update Java" redirects?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 11:42:24 AM »
I don't seem to be getting those. Would that change what it might be?

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 03:47:31 PM »
I don't seem to be getting those. Would that change what it might be?

Maybe.

I'm still investigating, but have done multiple scans with all the usual malware/virus checkers and haven't come up with anything yet. Bad behavior is inconsistent, but has been limited to just this site. It's happened about 5 times over the past 10 days (so yeah, not really a huge issue where it's coming from). All browser extensions and files that are commonly hijacked seem fine. (Currently using Chrome.)

It's getting close to "grasping at straws" at this point. The reason I posted was that I had vague (maybe false) memories of a similar issue here at NWR forums before, possibly being related to ads on the site? If nobody else can corroborate then best to assume it's just my PC I guess.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 04:44:09 PM »
Yes, this has come up before: https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=43405.0. The thread is just a few down from this one.

I personally haven't encountered this problem since that last time so not sure why it is only affecting you but not pleasant news if it is back.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.