Author Topic: Malicious URL coming up  (Read 4732 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Malicious URL coming up
« on: December 30, 2013, 07:13:46 PM »
Over the last couple days my anti-virus software has been bringing up malicious URLs warnings when I'm on the forums.  Something called www.javaonlined.com.  I'm guessing it's coming from ads.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: Malicious URL coming up
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 07:30:22 PM »
I'd say ads - I'm not getting it.  Megabyte?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 07:40:52 PM »
Oh, that's what's going on. Yeah, sometimes when I'm accessing the site, the whole page will suddenly become an ad or message to install this Java Online Update. I can not close it or find any way to close it when it takes over the screen. If I hit the back button, it will not take me back to the page I was on when the ad takes over. Instead, it sends me back to the 2nd page back. I never linked this to an NWR only issue though but now I realize it only happens when accessing this site. Definitely annoying.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 08:37:28 PM »
It happened to me on the site today (not in the forums). Had to let the review page load, and press Esc as soon as possible so whatever was causing it wouldn't load.

Edit: Darn it! Happened on the forums for me too.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 05:46:37 PM by Caliban »

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 11:55:32 PM »
Not sure if someone has looked into this but right now in the past few minutes has been the first time in awhile where I've visited the site and not had the false Java or Flash player update take over the screen. Progress?

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 02:33:36 PM »
And while I'm on the subject of giving thanks, after I posted that last message about not seeing those takeover ads, they then popped up for a couple days again after. However, it has been at least 2 weeks now where they have not occured or come up so I'm hoping it is finally blocked. Again, not sure if someone checked in to it but if there was a staff member who took some time to get rid of it, then a big thanks to you.

THANKS!

And if no one did anything and the problem just resolved itself on its own, then a big thanks for nothing to you all.

(You see there's nothing written between this sentence and the one above in order to represent the no thanks you get. I was afraid it might be too smart of a joke so I felt it best to give this explaination to ensure it was understood by everyone.)

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 03:50:21 PM »
We talked to our ad provider, and hopefully they shut them down.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report