Author Topic: Reggie dropping a bomb at VGX Awards, what could it be?  (Read 51961 times)

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
Re: Reggie dropping a bomb at VGX Awards, what could it be?
« Reply #150 on: December 08, 2013, 01:19:08 AM »
Whether or not it's what we wanted Retro to be doing, I have no doubt it will be one of the best games released on any platform in 2014.

Nope. X is relasing next year.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 08, 2013, 01:22:42 AM »
If you were able to read, you'd have seen that I said "one of," which would imply that it would be among at least several games at the top. Also, I highly doubt I'll like X better than DKC.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 08, 2013, 01:34:15 AM »
You're a fucking asshole.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 08, 2013, 01:37:00 AM »
Yet again, you can dish out the obnoxiousness but can't take any in return. If you're going to make a snide remark you'd better be sure you've got the details right or you're just opening yourself up for retaliation.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 08, 2013, 01:49:55 AM »
How in the fucking world was that a snide remark? I said you were wrong. I said why. If I was wrong (for something that wasn't a snide remark, just you wrongly thinking it was) that doesn't deserve the bullshit you just pulled.

Jesus Christ. I'm getting sick of this ****.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 08, 2013, 01:51:59 AM »
You're a fucking asshole.

Stay classy, dude.  Stay classy.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 08, 2013, 01:55:33 AM »
Jesus Christ. I'm getting sick of this ****.

You're welcome to leave. And if you don't cut it out with the homophobic slurs, I'll kindly help you find your way.

J.P. Corbran

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 08, 2013, 01:59:48 AM »
Okay, I didn't see that insano had already took some action, but for those wanting to know, Oblivion has been issued a 15 day temp ban.

He has had a previous warning about using similar words as insults combined with multiple warnings about personal attacks on other users.  The forum quite simply doesn't need this.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 08, 2013, 02:16:08 AM »
More importantly, I'm super excited about Tropical Freeze regardless of how anti-climactic this announcement was. Next year is such a boner for Wii U.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 08, 2013, 01:40:52 PM »
I'm sure that Tropical Freeze will be a good game, and that some people will love the whole Cranky Kong thing... but wow. This was really the "big reveal"?  On the upside, it's not like Nintendo had any face left to lose with the core crowd that probably were watching...
NNID: ejamer

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 08, 2013, 01:54:02 PM »
As I've said earlier in the thread, Reggie's Hype Train derailed years ago.

They are so out of touch with what the core gaming audience is clamoring for that they think a new Donkey Kong game, and not even that, but a new character in a Donkey Kong game we already weren't all that excited about, is gonna get the gaming media all up in a frenzy for more details. This was clearly the wrong audience for this news.

Maybe if Retro was working on something that was more reflective of the talent currently working there, or if this had been the teaser for the New Zelda, a complete blow out for X, a new Metroid adventure from Retro, a teaser for a revived IP, like the speculated StarTropics by Retro, then maybe there was something to HYPE (for this audience).

But this is more the boy crying wolf, and why I stopped paying attention.
I just had to accept that as a early 30 something Nintendo fan that grew up Nintendo, Nintendo simply isn't talking to me the majority of the time anymore.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 01:27:43 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #161 on: December 08, 2013, 03:43:33 PM »
It could be said that Nintendo sees 'core' as 'core Nintendo fans' rather than a more generic gaming fan. But, as seen in the last couple of generations, core Nintendo fans do not spread the wealth. They buy Nintendo products. And it could be argued that many gamers have at least two consoles and their 3rd party money goes to that other system. Except we've seen so many quality exclusive 3rd party games flop on Nintendo systems that it gives the impression that Nintendo is the home of the frugal gamer.

There is of course, one logical conclusion: Nintendo wants to only have 20 million or so consoles sold per generation. They know their market penetration, they know how favorable or unfavorable they appear to the loud mouths on the Internet.

Nintendo is systematically and deliberately communicating a particular message. And this message is weeding out those that Nintendo does not want to do business with. Nintendo sells toys, not entertainment systems. And they are kicking and fighting all the way to stop from selling entertainment systems, probably because: they don't have the experienced staff to provide such a system; and the backbone and upkeep on such systems is tremendous, which is why Microsoft and Sony are charging for their online services.

What's difficult for us is that Microsoft and Sony are changing the metric upon how we judge gaming as a hobby. It's easy to lump Nintendo in with MS and Sony because they all basically do the same thing. I know I want Nintendo to step up to bat and directly compete, but it's not their business plan. All they want to do is make money with as little effort as possible. Not saying that making games is not hard. They do that very well. It's the bells and whistles beyond the games. They don't have a way to monetize that effort in a meaningful way that promotes their basic message.

Some of us, including me, need to accept this fact, understand that Nintendo does things for a purpose, and that even though we do not comprehend the purpose all of our dialogue on the Internet is not going to sway Nintendo to our way of thinking.

I would also say that there are 3rd parties that listen to fans, and have tried to get Nintendo "in-line" with the rest of the industry, and failed. This I believe is the biggest reason there is a lack of support for the WiiU, and will continue to decline for each generation after. And makes certain companies' focus on mobile so odd, because mobile systems are so close to gaming toys rather than serious gaming systems, while also would seem that Nintendo would be a great fit. Except that Nintendo would have to make their own smart phone to control the environment in which their games exist and to make sure no one else profits from their games.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 08, 2013, 03:56:27 PM »
Expected/10

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 09, 2013, 01:45:02 PM »
Even if Cranky Kong had not been leaked before this announcement would be seen as an incredibly lame letdown not even worth the slightest build up whatsoever.  One would perhaps be shocked at how completely out-of-touch Nintendo can be to even think for a second that anyone would find this announcement exciting but then their console is bombing.  If they can't figure out the big stuff like making a console that people actually want to buy then how will they get even the slightest little stuff right.

Though it will likely review well I wonder how the new DKC will sell.  This was NOT the game we wanted from Retro at all and who is buying a Wii U beyond the Nintendo faithful?  GTA Chinatown Wars and the Dead Space Extraction both reviewed well but were associated with hostile "**** you, this isn't what we wanted!" reactions to their reveals and both sold like ****.  Nothing pisses off a Nintendo fan more than letting us think we're getting something we actually want and then pulling the rug out from under us.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 09, 2013, 02:46:18 PM »
That sounds like: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on you again."

Manage your expectations. I thought that this would have been a third party port as a best case scenario. Otherwise, I was expecting "a Nintendo announcement.â„¢"

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 09, 2013, 03:03:19 PM »
My Expectations were so manged...

"How Managed were they!!?"

My expectations were so managed, that I didn't even have any.
My HYPE Train doesn't even have a stop at Reggie's Station anymore.
Passengers (aka news) from Reggie's station must catch a bus to a connecting station that my HYPE train pulls into.

That's how managed my expectations are.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 09, 2013, 05:17:56 PM »
Reggie dropping a bomb? More like a firecracker that refuses to ignite. This was embarrassing for Nintendo.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 09, 2013, 06:08:42 PM »
That sounds like: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on you again."

Manage your expectations. I thought that this would have been a third party port as a best case scenario. Otherwise, I was expecting "a Nintendo announcement.â„¢"

Hey my expectations were so low I wouldn't have been surprised if Reggie's announcement was just him dropping his pants on TV.  But if Nintendo is going to hype up announcements it would be in their best interest to deliver.  It's their PR, it's their marketing, it's their image, it's their product they're trying to sell.  If they can't discern what is worth hyping up and what isn't, that is their problem.  They should have some idea of how exciting their announcements truly are and promote accordingly.

Why couldn't Reggie just say "tune into the VGX for an exclusive new trailer on DKC: Tropical Freeze where we'll reveal some new info about the game"?  Save the "wait until you see what's next" stuff for when it really matters.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 09, 2013, 06:45:37 PM »
100% agree with Ian.

Somebody check my temperature, I think I'm coming down with something.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #169 on: December 09, 2013, 06:48:14 PM »
That's a good ass question.  Nintendo could've easily said that there would be a new trailer/demo for DKC:TF instead Reggie hinted at a "surprise" and Game Informer had to clarify for them.  That's just an absolutely silly situation to be in.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 09, 2013, 07:48:31 PM »
Looks like everything was as expected unfortunately.  Nintendo will Nintendo that's for certain.  Nintendo is just so unpredictable.  We get this announced at the VGX and have something like X announced through a simple Nintendo Direct months back lol.  Its like they lull you into a comatose state and then shock you back into reality when you lease expect it.  Time to go back to playing Pokémon lol.  Look forward to November sales report to come out for the craziness to pick up in the forums again lol.   

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 10, 2013, 05:11:38 PM »
I'M HERE TO KICK-ASS AND MAKE LOUSY ANNOUNCEMENTS.

AND I'M ALL DONE KICKING-ASS.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 11, 2013, 03:32:07 PM »
Reggie dropping a bomb? More like a firecracker that refuses to ignite. This was embarrassing for Nintendo.

This made me laugh.  Shades of the big E3 reveal for Nintendo Land, with a complete lack of balloons/confetti dropping at the end?  Oops!
NNID: ejamer

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 11, 2013, 03:52:14 PM »

This made me laugh.  Shades of the big E3 reveal for Nintendo Land, with a complete lack of balloons/confetti dropping at the end?  Oops!

Hey, I was there. A couple of pieces of confetti fell from the ceiling. It was very sad to be honest.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #174 on: December 11, 2013, 05:26:57 PM »
I think its time Nintendo changed leadership.  Reggie is not a rockstar anymore…and his decisions in leading NOA have been horrible.  He single handedly allowed the Nintendo Wii draught to occur when there were 4 exclusive Wii games that he could have prepared for North America.

Let's change leadership PLEASE.