Author Topic: REAL TALK: The amount of negativity here has gotten absurd.  (Read 25674 times)

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
REAL TALK: The amount of negativity here has gotten absurd.
« on: August 25, 2013, 11:08:49 PM »
A little over a month or so before i became an active poster another forum member named maxi announced he was leaving the site.
My reasons for leaving are many and mainly have to do with the forums. There is also a few other members who have left from here and I share the same issues and concerns.So lets get to the first.

Bullying is a major one and at times I have seen people on the forums go and rail on a person just because they were posting a certain way here. Tendoboy's posts are a good example of people who did this. I personally think he was just trying to bring up conversation on the forum with his posts. Also there were people who were bullied at times in the past who became the bullies to fit in with the in crowd so they themselves would not get bullied. It can become an endless cycle.
now this sounds quite familiar to me... in fact come to think of it Maxi here has successfully described what i have gone through as a poster. people calling me a horrible poster (granted my oblivious routine among other things haven't helped on that regard), me eventually beginning to find a niche as everyone starts ragging on Tj (during his temp ban i was the only one willing to stand up for him,) and then eventually I wind up from a certain perspective, playing a major role in the events that led to his permaban.

but it isn't just how we treat eachother. the way we talk about nintendo is becoming nothing but constant negativity.
Quote from: Maxi
This goes with the condescending as well. This isn't a good place to be a fan of Nintendo anymore. You have to temper your posts with qualifiers. In other words you can not be a overly positive Nintendo fan you have to put in some small negative that Nintendo has done and this also goes for Sony and Microsoft. You are singled out and put in SUPERs Fanboy euthanization station topic.
and in 2009 nine the issue was raised again.
The topics with the most posts and discussion come from those that aren't even really game-specific, be it arguments about sales, "casual games", third party support, or any other drama-charged groanfest.  And all these topics do is destroy bonds between posters that should instead be tightening through enjoyable discussion.  From someone who wants nothing more than to see everyone enjoying positive discussion about upcoming games, it's really depressing to see how the site has crumbled, and it's clear to see why Mario (and others before him) gave up the ghost.  Why bother putting effort into a post when it's bound to be derailed by a third party support monologue?  Why bother putting effort into a post when no one even cares anymore? 

Am I being too harsh?  Yeaaaano.  I'm not.  It shouldn't be too much to expect a Nintendo-oriented site to be slightly Nintendo-biased.  But no, I'm only seeing the opposite these days.  So I'm sick of it.  It's not fun anymore.  Talking about games here is no longer fun.
we have to find some sort of balance here. S-U-P-E-R may argue that getting rid of bad posters will help the situation but it won't. The NWR forums are simply not an inviting place for newcomers. I blame it on this constant negative atmosphere going on here.
I kinda joked in one of the topics here that I hoped that this place doesn't become a hive mind but in a way it has. It has become a place for negativity more then anything little by little until there is hardly any positivity left on the forums.People will be tired of it and then leave like I am and then it will be more pessimistic then anything else....
And this is what the forums have become... This isn't the happy go lucky place that it once was, i don't want us to go like some sites that will crucify you upside down for saying the word sony but we have gone too far in the opposite direction.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 11:11:52 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: REAL TALK: The amount of negativity here has gotten absurd.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 11:43:26 PM »
1. You were a horrible poster. Maybe it was a bit harsh to just openly say that, but it was true.

2. You shouldn't have defended TJ Spyke. He got way more chances than he deserved. We were hard on him because he continued to be obnoxious.

As for your overall point, yes, the forums are more negative than they have been in the past, for a variety of reasons. I'm not sure what anyone can really do about that.

I will point out that your post shows that this seems to be a constant bone of contention around here, as Bill was complaining about it way back in 2009. If this place was ever "happy-go-lucky," as you put it, it must have been over 5 years ago. Or, more realistically, it's a cyclical thing, and some people are more sensitive to it than others.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 11:49:30 PM »
The amount of forum drama here has gotten absurd.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 12:09:53 AM »
1. You were a horrible poster. Maybe it was a bit harsh to just openly say that, but it was true.

I recognize that, but i think that a bit of constructive criticism would have gone a long way.  at one point when someone complained i asked via pm what i could do to improve and got this as a response

I don't care if you improve, mate. You're a horrible poster and you'll probably
always be horrible, but the world is full of horrible people. Not much I can do about it.

I think we could use some improvement there.
2. You shouldn't have defended TJ Spyke. He got way more chances than he deserved. We were hard on him because he continued to be obnoxious.
i agree to that as well but during the temp ban people seemed very eager to bash him when he wasn't able to defend himself and i felt that it was wrong... of course im still not fully aware of everything hes done so :/
As for your overall point, yes, the forums are more negative than they have been in the past, for a variety of reasons. I'm not sure what anyone can really do about that.
here i thought as community manager that was your job. :D
I will point out that your post shows that this seems to be a constant bone of contention around here, as Bill was complaining about it way back in 2009. If this place was ever "happy-go-lucky," as you put it, it must have been over 5 years ago. Or, more realistically, it's a cyclical thing, and some people are more sensitive to it than others.
who knows, i suspect alot of this began with the whole casual/hardcore divide on wii but the situation can improve.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 12:20:01 AM by pokepal148 »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 12:21:42 AM »
I don't think forcing people to think and post a certain way is part of my job as Community Manager. There's a line you can cross where it becomes my jurisdiction, but that line is a lot farther away from the average post around here than Bill or Maxi wanted it to be. I don't blame them for leaving; this forum wasn't what they wanted it to be, and I hope they found one that was more to their liking.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Wah

• Social Worker who's hip with the kids
  • Score: -44
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 12:22:10 AM »
Yes but isanolord has cracked down on the bullying. And hey your one to talk you've given me a bad time when i first joined, but i will admit we've become friends/mates from it, maybe it's just what we do to new recruits!?
Made you look ****.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 01:27:09 AM »

As probably one of the top 10 oldest "still visits the forum every day" members, let me say, anyone who thinks these forums were *ever* happy-go-lucky are simply living in a dream world.

This place has NEVER been the happy world of Nintendo Fanboys who worship everything Nintendo does.  Ever.

I have always thought of these forums more like:

Hey, they said "Happy-Go-Lucky"!  Haw-haw.

Look, no forum is perfect.  Go on NeoGAF and mention GoNintendo.  Go on CheapAssGamer and mention NeoGAF.  Go anywhere and mention GameFAQs.  You'll get all kinds of opinions.

I've said this before and I'll say it again - you'll get out of these forums what you put into them.

Funny thing is, there's a forum made up of a handful of people who left this one because it was too negative.  Yet, most of their current/active posts are about how all the other gaming sites, the gaming press and other gaming forums suck.  I'm happy that they created a place for themselves where they can be happy with one another by being negative about everyone else - but I'm more interested in a forum where we have diverse opinions that I don't always agree with.  If I wanted to sit around and hear stuff I agree with all the time, I'd just talk into a tape recorder and play that back.  I want people to tell me I'm crazy for buying 150+ Skylanders.  And I want to tell people they're crazy for not even giving the game a chance.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 01:31:28 AM »
Do you seriously have over 150 Skylanders?

J.P. Corbran

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 01:39:28 AM »
Yes.  I'm a sick, sick man, I know.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 03:25:32 AM »
I gave Skylanders a chance. And I still didn't understand the appeal. :(

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 12:34:07 PM »
Skylanders is a lot like Mario Kart: Double Dash for me.  A game I can enjoy but more importantly my family enjoys.

Why I do miss Bill, Vudu, Maxi, Golden Phoenix, Pro, most of the people I've played Mafia with.  They made things interesting.  The community though in the most part is open to competing idea though on some things as of the last year not so much, ex. Big Bang Theory.  We are getting older and its just been hard as a Nintendo focus fan to see the light at the end of the tunnel now.  Then added that all of our daily lives have been effected by the crisis in the negative direction its now hard to see how we could get into a negative tilt.

We should chipper up.  We all know that but, its either to say then to do.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Online Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2013, 01:57:28 PM »
Funny thing is, there's a forum made up of a handful of people who left this one because it was too negative.  Yet, most of their current/active posts are about how all the other gaming sites, the gaming press and other gaming forums suck.

What is this place?

Also, is there really that much forum drama or are people hyping it? I know the console section is nothing but doom and gloom but let's face it, there's not many positives to talk about there right now anyways. And yeah, a lot of people complained about TJ but aside from that, is it really that bad?

Can't say I've really noticed any othe major negative thing of late.

However, it is true that you get what you put in. I decided to just have fun and post anything whether on topic or whether I thought it would get a good laugh. And in the past couple months, I've taken my applaud from a stagnant 83 to a 123 and my minus has only gone up by two or three. That tells me that I'm on the right track and my contributions have some fans. Hey look! Karma does have a use!
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2013, 02:50:23 PM »
Hey look! Karma does have a use!

Vicious lies propagated by the Man and if Mafia has taught me anything is that Khush is the Man.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2013, 04:14:52 PM »
I like video games!
Gouge away.

Online Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2013, 06:24:59 PM »
You know what they say. You can't keep a good man down.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2013, 07:13:14 PM »
You know, I've butted heads with a few members here and there... but it might surprise you to know, I don't really view any of them in a negative light.  Even TJ - although he said foul and disgusting things about someone that's pretty cool - If I met pretty much any of you on the street, I'd shake your hand and buy you a soda.  Hell, if I have another FaceBall event, y'all are invited. :D

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2013, 09:39:02 PM »
I think the initial negativity is somewhat of a good thing.  When I first joined, I occasionally felt harshly confronted by posters, but I think you get more respect (or the closest thing to it) and it makes the forums more enjoyable if you can give as well as you take.

Offline LucarioGirl69

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2013, 09:42:24 PM »
I did not not think this website was that bad!
Maybe this website needs a woman's touch! ;D
Yes i am Lucariofan99's sister

Offline Wah

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2013, 09:46:30 PM »
Um, your touch would be bad!
Made you look ****.

Offline LucarioGirl69

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2013, 09:54:15 PM »
Don't you mean your aura? ::)
Yes i am Lucariofan99's sister

Offline Wah

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2013, 09:55:13 PM »
LoL!
Made you look ****.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2013, 12:43:19 AM »
You know, I've butted heads with a few members here and there... but it might surprise you to know, I don't really view any of them in a negative light.  Even TJ - although he said foul and disgusting things about someone that's pretty cool - If I met pretty much any of you on the street, I'd shake your hand and buy you a soda.  Hell, if I have another FaceBall event, y'all are invited. :D

I love you too. <3

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2013, 09:23:55 AM »
I hope it doesn't snow this time.

Offline Wah

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2013, 09:37:53 PM »
I hope i don't get bashed this time ;)
Made you look ****.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2013, 12:55:29 PM »
**** all y'all. I don't discriminate. I hate each and every one of you with an equal burning passion. You are all miserable, mewling little pukes.

Now that that is out of the way, who wants my Animal Crossing Balloon Furniture? I have a sofa, table, chair and lamp. I'm tired of them and would happy to give them away because I like making people happy. If you have something to trade, that'd be nice too.

Oui, Mon Gars!