Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 692463 times)

Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #600 on: October 27, 2014, 02:08:58 PM »
we don't have a very solid Wii used game scene around here, gamestop has put all Wii stuff into the bargain clearance bins already and Wii U stuff is very slim pickings. I will keep an eye out for it, I am still looking for a copy of DKC Returns and New Super Mario Bros. Wii those are top of my list right now.
Trying to be a better person, honest.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: October 27, 2014, 02:34:51 PM »
Kirby's Return to Dream Land was on clearance late last year and early this year, so I don't think stores still have it anymore. I was fortunate enough to see a new copy for $30 before things got insane, though that was still more than I was hoping to find. I'm not really sure why it's gotten expensive, I'm pretty sure the game sold decently around the same number of copies as Kirby's Epic Yarn which is dirt cheap now. I think for whatever reason, Kirby games just have this reputation of being valuable even when they're not rare.

I've seen a few used copies of the game recently in GameStops and I think they were $49.99 or something insane like that.

In any case, I like the game too, it's another fun co-op romp. I've played only with 2 players however, though I'm not sure if there's enough to do in the levels to make it be entertaining for 4 players. The challenge stages are a lot of fun also even though they are limited to one player, in fact part of the reason I bought Kirby's Dream Collection on Wii is that it had some new challenge stages in it.

I am curious if other people who rate Super Star so highly are like me, it was their first Kirby game and the one that set the standard?
I actually had a thought about this, but my previous post was already way too lengthy. I think that definitely could be a factor for some people, because the first game someone plays in a series is going to be introducing the most new stuff, making it the most novel experience. Take me for example, my fave Pokémon game is still Gold which is also the first one I played, and I think the reason it was the most enjoyable to me is because it was the freshest. Mind, I don't think there's anything wrong with this, just that it's something worth acknowledging.

The problem I have with the powers in Super Star is that it's tough to remember all the moves for each power, and it's annoying to pause the game all the time to check them. Sometimes simple is better. Most of the extra moves aren't very useful anyway.

My first Kirby game was the original Dream Land game on Game Boy. It's definitely not my fave though, because it's pretty short and Kirby doesn't even have copy abilities yet. My second was Kirby's Adventure on NES which was a lot more fun, and then Super Star was my third.

My own personal ranking of fave to least-fave Kirby games I played would probably be:

Kirby's Dream Land 3
Kirby's Return to Dream Land
Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (this would probably be #1 if it had co-op)
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Kirby's Adventure
Kirby Triple Deluxe
Kirby Super Star
Kirby's Dream Land 2
Kirby's Dream Land
Kirby's Block Ball
Kirby and the Amazing Mirror

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: October 27, 2014, 03:47:47 PM »
Always wanted to play the 64 one but I just haven't.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: October 27, 2014, 07:30:41 PM »
SO many people are crazy about Kirby 64, but I'm kinda... Lukewarm on it. Kirby feels SUPER sluggish in that game and the Copy ability combination gimmick just seems like an extension of the ideas in KDL2 and KDL3 with the animal helpers augmenting a copy ability, but without say... having to have the quirk of trying to control Kine on land to enjoy the awesomeness of exploding lightbulb missiles. (That's actually what inspired Bright Man's Light Manbow ability in Rockman 4 MI. I think after I'm done with this post, I'm going to make a thread about Rockman 4 MI.)

Kirby 64 still has a bitchin' soundtrack that I am so glad got a ton of love in Canvas Curse and I hope Rainbow Curse handles music in the same way. I just like Kirby when he's wearing hats and has multiple functions to his Copy abilities. Return To Dreamland is probably my second favorite game in the series, then a tie between Adventure/Amazing Mirror, and then probably Canvas Curse.

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: October 28, 2014, 11:22:47 AM »
Pandora's Tower (Wii):

You have to beat the final twin dungeons in at most three runs, or you're fucking stuck. Apparently this was some problem with converting the game from PAL, and there is no solution. I put 20 hours into this goddamn game. I would not advise buying it under any circumstances with this glitch looming.

That's not true though.  If you keep reseting your system it'll eventually let you through.  The more runs you do the less likely the workaround will work, but if you keep reseting, eventually there will be a time the glitch doesn't happen and you can finish those towers even after 3 runs.  It took me more then 3 runs to beat it and I ended up resetting I'm sure a dozen times but it's still possible to get through the towers. 

Of course be sure to get all the dungeon exclusive items before you beat the final boss in the 13th Tower since on New Game + the glitch will work 100% of the time, making it impossible to revisit the 11th/12th towers again.  Luckily on New Game + you can go to the 13th Tower whenever you want so the game won't lock you out of being able to get all the different endings, but the 11/12th tower will be.

I dunno, dude, I must have tried at least twenty times going through all of the methods I've found posted. From what I pieced together on various forums, it seems that Elena will only go through so many generic "bonding" cutscenes between each master flesh feeding, and after I ran those out (and making flesh rot when going to 11/12 stopped working), it was hard locks all the way.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: October 28, 2014, 12:41:26 PM »
I dunno, dude, I must have tried at least twenty times going through all of the methods I've found posted. From what I pieced together on various forums, it seems that Elena will only go through so many generic "bonding" cutscenes between each master flesh feeding, and after I ran those out (and making flesh rot when going to 11/12 stopped working), it was hard locks all the way.

Oh, that might be part of it.  My first time through I didn't get all the bonding cutscenes.  I just made sure I was at least high enough so I could reach the 13th Tower my first run but not much higher.  If the cutscenes are somehow effected to the glitch, I didn't see all of them so the glitch was more random for me making the towers still beatable, but if you saw them all, then you're probably locked out.

I guess the message for anyone who hasn't played the North American version yet is to not spend much time with Elena your first time through and make sure you got all the exclusive items from the 11th/12th Tower before you beat the boss of that Tower, because in New Game + you can never revisit those towers ever again.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: October 29, 2014, 01:20:01 AM »
I've been playing some Sunset Overdrive, and while my overall impressions of the game are very positive, I just don't want to play this game on an Xbone controller. I despise that thing's LB & RB buttons, which feel about as painful to press repeatedly as the GameCube Controller's Z button was. Naturally, Sunset Overdrive has you pressing those buttons a lot to switch weapons and boost on grind rails.

That aside, I love the way movement through the city just flows as you easily switch from grinding on rails to boosting on cars to wall-running to wall jumping. The combat feels pretty loose and not terribly satisfying and to me the skill system takes way too much effort to raise the meter, but overall this feels like the Ratchet & Clank game Insomniac's been trying to make since A Crack in Time.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

« Reply #607 on: October 29, 2014, 01:37:06 AM »
I started 1001 Spikes and catching up on my Virtual Console by going through the old Mario games and Castlevanias in order.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: October 29, 2014, 03:38:16 PM »
Shantae (3DS VC) - I've long been interested in trying this series, and the release of Pirate's Curse seemed like an ideal time to finally dig-in.  Although a (relatively) recent podcast decried some of the design decisions, so far I've been nothing but impressed given the time/tech limitations of when it was originally released.

Playing through the second temple now (not sure how many there are, guessing four or five) and looking forward to the reported improvements that other games in the series have made.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: October 29, 2014, 03:48:36 PM »
It's a shame they didn't bother to fix the freeze glitch in Pandora's Tower because it sounds pretty nasty and game-breaking. One reason I haven't played it yet is because I was hoping someone would find a sure-fire way to avoid it, or someone would make a homebrew patch to stop it from happening, but it looks like neither of those things happened. I may end up not playing the game because I have a low tolerance for glitches.

SO many people are crazy about Kirby 64, but I'm kinda... Lukewarm on it.
Yeah, it is odd how slow Kirby moves in that game, not sure what they were thinking on that one. I do find it interesting how you find that many people love the game, because my experience is the exact opposite; most people don't like Kirby 64 very much that I've seen, and they say the same thing you said, that Kirby is slow. I think they said other things too but I don't remember.

What I really like about Kirby 64 is the level design, it's "2.5D" as Nintendo liked to call it at the time. Basically, even though movement was in 2D, the levels still utilised the third dimension to have things like winding pathways or stuff pop out of the background. I was disappointed that Return to Dream Land didn't build on this idea and was strictly 2D. Triple Deluxe has a few elements that use the extra dimension, but still not to the extent that Kirby 64 does. I'd love to see a new Kirby game that builds on Kirby 64's level designs.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: October 30, 2014, 12:12:42 AM »
Have you ever played Klonoa: Door to Phantomile, Mop It Up? Ironically, I feel that Klonoa draws a lot from Kirby, and then Kirby 64 has the same sorts of levels, but without the ability to interact with the foreground or background, which is really a shame.

Ejamer, Shantae is my second favorite game of all time! the things that Johnny are irked by are things like the blind jumps and the need to grind and Shantae's attacks lacking range. The blind jumps are actually mitigated by investing in Float Muffins.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: October 30, 2014, 12:53:14 AM »
Float Muffins sound delicious.

Offline ClexYoshi

• Passionate Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: October 30, 2014, 02:34:34 AM »
Float Muffins sound delicious.

They are so delicious that they let you bounce out of bottomless pits while you're on the sugar high they provide. They also make an excellent sequence breaking tool.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: October 30, 2014, 09:16:03 PM »
Beat the ever living shite out of Excite Truck. It was much easier than I remember. And that last level, while cool, just wasn't as cool either.

I tried Excite Bots but didn't really get into it.

I've been playing a bit of Fire Emblem 10 also, and it's a decent game. The strategy is tough but fair. If you die, it was because you fucked up and need to plan better. I like that. It's pretty hard to use anyone who can't take a punch though. So you get into these grooves of using the same people over and over again to take down pretty much everyone.

The signature series staple of having someone die and stay dead still infuriates me to no end, and not because I suck and it takes me a few times to know how to win, but because I can't simply restart the chapter. I have to either send my players to their death in a step by step process of suicide or reset the game. It's bullshit and a waste of time. It's honestly so maddening that I haven't touch the game in weeks.

I'm still in the mood for an RPG. I like strategy, so I may check out BWii or Xenoblade. I remember PRO loving BWii so I'm leaning towards that.

Though if anyone knows any great puzzles games, the head-scratching type, I'd be down for that too.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: October 31, 2014, 10:55:31 AM »
BWii is more of an Action Squad Game.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

« Reply #615 on: November 01, 2014, 12:08:53 AM »
Playing the new Shantae game! So much fun. Some of those heart squids and tinker bats are cleverly hidden. I also downloaded Woah Dave! last night. Very simple and addictive. Still trying to unlock Bonkers mode. It gets crazy on normal so I can't imagine the intensity of Bonkers difficulty.
"Nothing tips like a cow."

« Reply #616 on: November 02, 2014, 12:26:05 AM »
I downloaded some PS1/PS2 classics last night and as I was waiting for them to download and instal, then update and re-install, I got into some Symphony of the Night. I thought I beat that game till I went online and discovered to my shock I wasn't even close. I mean why let you beat the "boss" then roll the credits if you didn't actually beat the game? So I discovered to my shock (and delight) there is a second castle that I now have to explore and I don't know why I never new that. Anyways thanks to AVGN for mentioning it in one of his recent videos I have been having a lot of fun playing the second half of a game I thought I had beaten long ago.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: November 02, 2014, 01:13:58 AM »
Loooong gaming vacation comes to an end. Two full weeks gaming more or less non-stop. I was mostly playing Bayonetta games (1 on 360, and 1+2 on Wii U), but also some other games in between:

Bastion (Steam):
This game works great to cool off and relax a bit after super tense Platinum game session. It can get pretty intense itself:

but nothing on the levels Bayonetta reaches.

Ron Perlman sound-alike's narration is soothing. His voice and game's distinctive visuals work great together.

Gameplay is nothing special, especially on a controller where you don't even have to aim. Shield and it's timing based counters add some element of depth though.

I tried to activate four Idols at once for greater challenge. Yeah no, the very first pack of birds on the level kills me on these settings.

Bayonetta (360)
Got all platinums on all levels on Hard difficulty. It went easier than i thought.

Level "Tower to truth" is ridiculously long, and was very hard to platinum on Normal. Now, on Hard i know that if i can get Pure Platinums on a few easier verses i can relax a bit and get a few golds and silvers because it will average out to overall level Platinum in the end.

After that Lumen Sage boss turned out to be complete cake. I got Gold on him on first try, just by flailing Sai Fungs like a mad man and blocking everything he tries to send at me. He was like a toy in my hands. Got Platinum on third try.

In the final boss fight where i hit God so hard her soul flies away from her body and i have to direct it to the sun i kept crashing into various planets. First it was Neptune, then i destroyed Mars twice. Each time i was forced to turn off the console and then restart it because if i fail this part -- it will destroy my overall rank because this is considered "death" and i will have to redo the entire epilogue. So i had to turn the console off before planet death cutscene ends and it saves over, recording my "death".

That final boss has a lot of cheap things like that -- one particular attack (black hole that sucks you in) is also one hit death and i also had to retry this verse a few times because i was afraid it is just about to get me so i didn't risk it and restarted the verse.

Last two alfheims were very hard to platinum. I think each took like an hour or even more. Not only they have special conditions (like "no witch time" or "only wicked weaves can harm enemies") but on top of that all enemies are on fire so you can't even touch them. These alfheims forced me to learn dodge offset though and that is a good thing for future Non-stop Infite Climax run.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: November 05, 2014, 11:36:48 PM »
Rose & Camelia (free Flash game):
Hilarious game. Nothing mindblowing but really good for a laugh.

The absurdity of a young common-born girl slapping ladies of an old powerful family to earn their respect makes up for primitive and somewhat clunky gameplay. It's kinda sorta like Punch-Out only with mouse cursor. You can slap, dodge and even counter attack. Later enemies add some variations on this.

I also played second game and La Mulana mod, all just as entertaining. Gameplay is the same just with different cutscenes and dialogues.

Rhythm doctor (free Flash game):
Amazing game.

I haven't even seen it all, just first two levels and a boss. And what a boss it is!

Anything inspired by Rhythm Heaven is gotta be good, but this is just amazing. Such a simple and seemingly rigid formula "press space on seventh beat" is twisted in each level into something new and exciting, combined with great original music.

There are some techincal problems with it being flash game (some browsers and plugins shenanigans), you're probably better off downloading offline version.

Shovel Knight (3DS):

Had only 10 minutes to play before going to work, but it's great so far.

In the menu, B works as "ok" and A works as "cancel" the same how it is on Xbox button layout. Not a huge issue, just a bit confusing at first.

Because i spent some time figuring this out i went into actual game playing with only A and B, which was a mistake. Too many times i had to press button to check which button does what. This button confusion actually helped me when i wanted to jump over Black Knight's fireball but ended up reflecting it instead.

I was actually supposed to use X and B button layout, like with most 3DS games, duh.

Because i've seen lots of videos of this game i know you can destroy checkpoints for more points, but couldn't do it in there (maybe you need to beat the level once to be able to do this?).

Really like 3d here, it works great with background parallax scrolling.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: November 06, 2014, 08:27:03 AM »
Because i've seen lots of videos of this game i know you can destroy checkpoints for more points, but couldn't do it in there (maybe you need to beat the level once to be able to do this?).

You can't break the checkpoints in the first level. But you can in every other level.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: November 08, 2014, 09:20:17 AM »
I complained on Twitter yesterday that Mario games could be too slow at times. EAD Tokyo apparently saw that, went back in time, and made Bowser World Level 3 in Super Mario 3D World. You basically have to run full speed the whole way, with tons of boost pads and tight corners. I died dozens of times before making it through, and I absolutely loved it.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

« Reply #621 on: November 08, 2014, 10:25:27 AM »
I complained on Twitter yesterday that Mario games could be too slow at times. EAD Tokyo apparently saw that, went back in time, and made Bowser World Level 3 in Super Mario 3D World. You basically have to run full speed the whole way, with tons of boost pads and tight corners. I died dozens of times before making it through, and I absolutely loved it.

whats your take on Sonic games then?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: November 08, 2014, 10:53:40 AM »
No Sonic game has anywhere near as good level design as 3D World. I also wouldn't want every level to be that way, which modern Sonic games tend to be if you leave out the werehog stuff or whatever other awful gimmicks they include. I really enjoy the Genesis games, which aren't completely about speed and have much better level design than any Sonic game in the last two decades.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #623 on: November 08, 2014, 08:23:32 PM »
I just finished Teslagrad on the Wii U, and now I'm investing more time into The Swapper. From one puzzle platformer to another!

I'd really like to get back to Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call and Fantasy Life soon.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: November 09, 2014, 06:56:58 AM »
Continuing my run of going back to games I absolutely adored but drifted away from for some reason, I got back into Pikmin 3. This really is a perfect synthesis of the ideas of the first two games. There's a time limit that pushes you forward, but it isn't as hard and fast as the original. The ability to multitask returns, but this time the game actually designs puzzles that force you to use it. And this is one of the few first party Wii U games that really benefits from the GamePad, even (especially) while using the Wii remote and nunchuk controls.

I was a massive fan of the first two games, and this game is the best one yet. I hope we get to see another one some day.

J.P. Corbran