Author Topic: What is your most recent gaming purchase?  (Read 759263 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
Re: What is your most recent gaming purchase?
« Reply #925 on: August 17, 2013, 11:26:36 PM »
Radar Scope cocktail machine or bust.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: August 18, 2013, 12:08:36 AM »

I didn't say it was a new release. :D

He's not driving nor would be excited for a PS3.

It's gotta be something rare and obscure. And, more likely than not, Nintendo related. . .
Yup.  And I had to take the seats out of the back of my PT Cruiser and measure the entire back to make sure it'd fit. :D

F-Zero GX Arcade Cabinet, Star Fox Armada Cabinet or a Namco Mario Kart cabinet.

My guesses.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: August 18, 2013, 12:55:29 AM »
At E3, Nintendo did have those huge ass displays?  Did UB buy himself an lifesize Mario Kart ;0.

Nope.  Other direction.  I'm in South Carolina.  Although, I suppose, someone could have moved it to South Carolina where I'm picking it up.  But no.

Radar Scope cocktail machine or bust.

Nope.  Those might be a little too much out of my price range... :)

F-Zero GX Arcade Cabinet, Star Fox Armada Cabinet or a Namco Mario Kart cabinet.

Cool, but I don't think any one of those would fit in my PT Cruiser. :D

PT Cruiser... does it happen to have a Nintendo related paint job?

Nope.  Plain, boring silver.

An arcade machine is probably too big for a car like that and I wouldn't they are that rare that you would have to drive 12 hours to get one. My guess would be some sort of giant plastic mario, maybe riding on a Yoshi.

Your guess would be wrong. :D

I wonder if it's an arcade machine.

Your guess is right.  With some minor disassembly and reassembly, what I'm getting will fit in my car just fine (according to the measurements I was given).  It is a little on the rare side for the machine that it is.  Getting a great deal on it and it's supposedly in really good shape (and appears as such from the photos).
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: August 18, 2013, 11:53:28 AM »
Hmmm... PT Cruiser.  I'm actually looking to get into a smaller car.  I think I might want a Smart for Two.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: August 18, 2013, 10:27:20 PM »
It's not set in the room yet, so I couldn't get a lot of photos, but here she is, at home, safe and sound...

Search "Nintendo Red Tent" for more info. :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #930 on: August 18, 2013, 10:42:23 PM »
Wow! Color me impressed.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: August 18, 2013, 10:49:45 PM »
It's not in quite as good of shape as I would have liked, but considering it's 28 years old at this point, I can't complain.

And here's how I was able to buy it.  Basically, I got it free. :D

http://www.nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=6&threadid=108680

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: August 18, 2013, 10:54:35 PM »
Closer to "Pink" tent right now. Well this is definately a bit of Nintendo history I had no idea existed or remembered. Now I can see why you drove 12 hours one way. Not me, but I can see why you did what you did. Congrasts on getting your hands on some pretty cool Nintendo History. Any plans to restoring it to full red?
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: August 18, 2013, 10:59:35 PM »
It is red - the lighting in the picture is pretty bad.

Plan on swapping the games (Currently, Mach Rider vs. and Gold vs.) and maybe some touch-up here or there...

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: August 19, 2013, 12:21:14 AM »
Just in time for gritty open-world Mach Rider reboot on Wii U ;p

i wish
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: August 19, 2013, 12:23:23 AM »

Serial number #00069.  The immature kid inside of me giggled.

By the way, who was it that said I wasn't really a Nintendo fan?  This gets me some credit in that department, right? :D

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: August 19, 2013, 02:01:51 AM »
...what is it?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #938 on: August 19, 2013, 02:07:16 AM »
I would've sold it for cash.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: August 19, 2013, 02:20:09 AM »
The SNES game?  I did sell it for cash.  Then, used some of it to go buy this machine. :D

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: August 20, 2013, 01:00:24 AM »
Well, I just picked up The Bureau: XCOM Declassified for my PS3. Yes, I've seen the reviews. No, I don't care. Why? Because last week reviewers were giving DuckTales 4s and 5s, too. Earlier this year, they were showering trash like Bioshock Infinite with 10s. I've been following this game for a few years now, and the one consistent thing I've seen about it is that it's never really been given a fair shot.  I'm going to give it a fair shot as someone who's not an uber-XCOM fan. If it's crap, so be it. I knew what I was getting into.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 02:03:38 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #941 on: August 20, 2013, 01:07:23 AM »
trash like Bioshock Infinite with 10s

*sigh*

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #942 on: August 20, 2013, 03:02:58 AM »
trash like Bioshock Infinite with 10s

*sigh*

Was that a sigh of agreement over how utterly disappointing Bioshock Infinite was, or a sigh that I just dared to call what many sites will mistakenly call a "Game of the Year" candidate "garbage"?

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #943 on: August 20, 2013, 03:04:30 AM »
The latter. I thought it was pretty good. Not Game of the Year though. That, for me, goes to The Last of Us.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #944 on: August 20, 2013, 03:11:42 AM »
The latter. I thought it was pretty good. Not Game of the Year though. That, for me, goes to The Last of Us.

Well, my personal Game of the Year so far is Tomb Raider, but I won't argue when the consensus pick across the Internet turns out to be The Last of Us. It's quite an excellent game. I just had more fun with Tomb Raider, so I'm partial to it.

As for Bioshock Infinite, I felt like anything approaching "joy" in that game was gradually sucked out after the 1st few hours by hour upon hour of the same, dull, arena-based combat encounters.  The combat was made even worse in the latter half of the game when the game focuses exclusively on it, topped off with that absolutely awful stretch backtracking through the city fighting...well...you know.

To me, Bioshock Infinite peaked in its opening hour, and the rest of the game was a downhill slide from there. By comparison, I felt Bioshocks 1 and 2 were far better designed and had better stories.  I think it says a lot about how lacking in story ideas Levine & his team were for Columbia that as soon as it came time to do DLC they ran right back to Rapture instead.

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #945 on: August 20, 2013, 04:01:00 AM »
I feel like Tomb Raider was also very, very good, I feel like it was as well-rounded* as The Last of Us. Unlike the TLoU, Tomb Raider's story did not grip me whatsoever. I did not care for anyone, and I especially didn't give a **** about all the extra stuff you could find that would "flesh out" the character. The gameplay, like TLoU, was solid however.

*Well-rounded meaning the story, gameplay elements, music, voice acting, graphics, multiplayer, and controls were all top notch. Tomb Raider had almost of all that, but not quite.

Offline magicpixie

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: August 20, 2013, 04:24:28 PM »
Agreed on Tomb Raider, loved it.  Even went back to replay some of it recently.  That experience made me realize how much the game could have really used not just more temples, but more complex ones as well.  I felt the ones they did include were essentially one puzzle to solve and you beat it, but hopefully the next entry won't have to worry so much about the narrative and focus more on the exploration.

Well, I just picked up The Bureau: XCOM Declassified for my PS3. Yes, I've seen the reviews. No, I don't care. Why? Because last week reviewers were giving DuckTales 4s and 5s, too. Earlier this year, they were showering trash like Bioshock Infinite with 10s. I've been following this game for a few years now, and the one consistent thing I've seen about it is that it's never really been given a fair shot.  I'm going to give it a fair shot as someone who's not an uber-XCOM fan. If it's crap, so be it. I knew what I was getting into.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this.  I like the idea of a tactical action kinda game, but GiantBomb's quicklook didn't do this game any favours in my eyes.  The game looked really janky to me. 

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: August 21, 2013, 01:06:09 AM »
I have that game too, but for some reason, it won't unlock for another 2 days in NZ. I was totally againsts it during the reveal, but I brought it on a whim when it came bundled with spec ops and X-com EU for like half the price steam was offering. It should be good for some laughs. Maybe the PC version is a bit better.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #948 on: August 21, 2013, 01:14:42 AM »

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this.  I like the idea of a tactical action kinda game, but GiantBomb's quicklook didn't do this game any favours in my eyes.  The game looked really janky to me.

I'm very early in the game right now (I've only completed 1 official mission), but so far...it's pretty OK, but it's pretty obvious this game's ceiling is in the 7-8 range. It's not blowing me away, but I'm having a decent time with it. It definitely has nowhere near the level of polish that Enemy Unknown had, though.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: August 21, 2013, 05:47:42 PM »
By the way, who was it that said I wasn't really a Nintendo fan?  This gets me some credit in that department, right? :D

So... continuing my quest to prove that person wrong (because we all know how I can't let things go...), I got an e-mail last night...

Zelda: Symphony is returning to Chicago for a "Season 2" show.  I want to go soooo badly.  This will be my third show.

Problem is, the concert is on the evening of BLACK FRIDAY.  Starts at 8 PM and I'm a six hour drive.

I know I don't talk a lot about my job on here, but this week, I'm upstate on business and I'm working with my boss.  I joked about needing Black Friday off.  He didn't think it was funny.  Anyway, I should be done with everything by like ten in the morning (just a guess), but the problem is, previous years, I've worked crazy 24+ hours shifts to try and execute everything.  So, I really want to go... but I don't want to be the one to drive.

Whined to my wife who gave the okay. :D

So, bought my tickets this morning.  You know, I've gotten good tickets before.  Great, even.

Today, as soon as the tickets went on pre-sale (only to those who attended the first concert), I had my laptop out to buy them.  What's this?  "VIP Package"? hm.  Okay, sold.

Two tickets, VIP Package... $332.  I don't even know what the VIP Package is.

BUT... I'm am literally *front* row, in the two seats beside the center aisle.

Yay!