Author Topic: What is your most recent gaming purchase?  (Read 755303 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: What is your most recent gaming purchase?
« Reply #125 on: January 08, 2012, 01:25:22 AM »
and Sanitarium.

Now there is a game whose name I haven't heard in a long time. An excellent choice, if I do say so myself.
is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 08, 2012, 01:55:13 AM »
I've purchased some games off PSN while they were on sale:

- Darksiders (which is what I'm playing right now, and it's a lot better than it looked from that demo).
- Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (despite having already beaten this, I was in the mood for an AC game again and I sure wasn't going to buy Revelations...yet)
- Red Faction Armageddon
- Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD (already finished)
- Bionic Commando Rearmed
- Bionic Commando Rearmed 2
- Klonoa 1 for PS1
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline jrlibrarian

• Small Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 08, 2012, 02:06:17 PM »
I know I probably overpaid for this lot, but screw it. I don't own a Wii, so VC purchases are out of the question, and now I have another eleven games and one system crossed off my list.

Working Super Nintendo, looks like it's in great condition.

Games:
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy III/VI
Drakkhen
Super Mario World
World Heroes
Super R Type
Populous
Super Ghouls N Ghosts
Street Fighter II TURBO
Killer Instinct
Ms Pac-man
Pac-man 2 The New Adventures
Game Genie
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 02:11:13 PM by jrlibrarian »
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 08, 2012, 03:19:01 PM »
I know I probably overpaid for this lot, but screw it. I don't own a Wii, so VC purchases are out of the question, and now I have another eleven games and one system crossed off my list.

Working Super Nintendo, looks like it's in great condition.

Games:
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy III/VI
Drakkhen
Super Mario World
World Heroes
Super R Type
Populous
Super Ghouls N Ghosts
Street Fighter II TURBO
Killer Instinct
Ms Pac-man
Pac-man 2 The New Adventures
Game Genie

Don't know what you paid, but that's an awesome lot of retro goodness! Sweet!
NNID: ejamer

Offline jrlibrarian

• Small Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 08, 2012, 04:41:36 PM »
I paid about $150 for everything. I got into a bidding war with one other guy, plus I had just started a new job with no wifi access, so I had to run eBay off my crappy phone browser.
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 08, 2012, 04:49:40 PM »
I paid about $150 for everything. I got into a bidding war with one other guy, plus I had just started a new job with no wifi access, so I had to run eBay off my crappy phone browser.

I don't think you got hosed.  The few times I've found copies of Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy III/IV, they've usually ran $40-60 in stores.

A good find, I think.

Picked up Twilight Princess used for $10 in one of those snazzy Nintendo Selects box.  Also found an unused Club Nintendo code I promptly applied to my account.  Hopefully I'll find the motivation to beat it now that I own it.  Last time I got lost and quit during one of the wolf sections.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #131 on: January 08, 2012, 05:57:48 PM »
Christmas presents + PSN/XBLA card code games

Mario 3D Land (GOTY)
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
MGS HD Collection
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3
Earthworm Jim HD
Shadow Complex (finally, right?)

I might get Odin Sphere off the PSN. Only question is whether it still chugs, in which case I'll just replay my PS2 copy. The only reason I feel like it might play better is that the slowdown in the original game wasn't the GAME'S fault, but the PS2's processor. The PS3 can probably handle it much better. Anyone have any idea about this?
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 08, 2012, 10:12:44 PM »
I might get Odin Sphere off the PSN. Only question is whether it still chugs, in which case I'll just replay my PS2 copy. The only reason I feel like it might play better is that the slowdown in the original game wasn't the GAME'S fault, but the PS2's processor. The PS3 can probably handle it much better. Anyone have any idea about this?

Unfortunately, I haven't played my PSN copy of Odin Sphere, but IIRC the horrible loading in the PS1 version of Chrono Trigger is still there on the PSN version. I could see the slowdown still being there on the PSN version of Odin Sphere, simply because the games aren't being recoded to take advantage of the PS3 architecture.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 08, 2012, 10:53:24 PM »
Finally picked up Yoshi's Island DS...  apparently, this game has become somewhat-rare now... GameStop is selling it for $39.99 used.

If you haven't picked it up yet and want it, you might check your local Toys R Us.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 09, 2012, 03:17:12 AM »
Finally picked up Yoshi's Island DS...  apparently, this game has become somewhat-rare now... GameStop is selling it for $39.99 used.

If you haven't picked it up yet and want it, you might check your local Toys R Us.

Amazon has the game Brand New for only $35 and with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Yoshis-Island-DS-Nintendo/dp/B000HE7KZC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326096946&sr=8-1

Gamestop is a rip off. Plus you have to pay tax there.
is your sanity...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 09, 2012, 08:18:46 AM »

I live in Illinois, I'm required to pay tax on internet purchases anyway.
In fact, most states that have a sales tax require it.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 09, 2012, 09:38:50 AM »

I live in Illinois, I'm required to pay tax on internet purchases anyway.
In fact, most states that have a sales tax require it.

AFAIK every state has a sales tax, but here in Michigan I've never had to pay online taxes for anything.

Either way though, Amazon is the better deal.
is your sanity...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 09, 2012, 09:50:35 AM »
AFAIK every state has a sales tax, but here in Michigan I've never had to pay online taxes for anything.

Then you're breaking the law.
http://www.michigan.gov/taxes/0,1607,7-238-43529-154427--,00.html

The State of Michigan imposes a 6% use (sales) tax on items purchased online.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 09, 2012, 10:58:03 AM »

But they can't impose a tax if the website is physically located outside of the state. If I drove over to your state of Illinois and purchased something I would have to pay the Illinois state tax. I wouldn't owe anything to Michigan unless I bought it in Michigan.
is your sanity...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 09, 2012, 10:59:29 AM »
Yes, they can.  And did.  So have most states that have a sales tax.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #140 on: January 09, 2012, 12:57:13 PM »

But they can't impose a tax if the website is physically located outside of the state. If I drove over to your state of Illinois and purchased something I would have to pay the Illinois state tax. I wouldn't owe anything to Michigan unless I bought it in Michigan.

Technically you are required to pay that sales tax anyways, but do it yourself rather than pay the company and have them give it to the state. If Amazon gets its way, then eventually everyone who pays sales tax in their state will have to do it for online purchases as well (they started doing it after reaching a deal with California). So sooner or later you will see Amazon add sales tax for your purchases directly. Like UncleBob, I already have to do it anyways since I live in New York.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Lithium

• disparaging user title
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 10, 2012, 12:28:13 PM »

I don't think you got hosed.  The few times I've found copies of Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy III/IV, they've usually ran $40-60 in stores.

A good find, I think.

agreed. the bulk of the cost are those two games.

anyways i bought sin and punishment 2 for $10 new :D

Offline Roman

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2012, 01:03:37 PM »
I have recently purchased the following games like 
League of Legends 
Gears of War
Commanchi
Starwars 2

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 11, 2012, 01:24:09 PM »
EA Sports Active: NFL Training Camp

I know these exercise "games" are only as good as the effort you put into using them... but...

It's snowy and well below freezing outside. I work at home, so "getting out" often means wandering from my office space to the fridge for a snack. My wonderful family includes one small child with another expected to arrive in March. Although I do play sports once a week, the daily exercise routines from my youth have been shelved long ago.

So this game (really a glorified exercise DVD) looks like the perfect fit for me! I like the additional sensors that come included, the interactive nature of each workout, and the sporting theme. As an added bonus: it was received via trade at Goozex and didn't require any cash outlay.

Here's hoping that this can help me stay in shape during the cold and tired winter months!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 01:51:57 PM by ejamer »

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 11, 2012, 02:02:08 PM »
Picked up Twilight Princess used for $10 in one of those snazzy Nintendo Selects box.  Also found an unused Club Nintendo code I promptly applied to my account.  Hopefully I'll find the motivation to beat it now that I own it.  Last time I got lost and quit during one of the wolf sections.

I finally finished that game about two weeks ago after shelving it for a long time. I ended up really really liking it. I dunno why all the revisionist hate has sprung up in the last year or two. Its a very solid game and very fun.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 23, 2012, 07:58:15 AM »
From the local grocery store, two new games:
  • Rune Factory 2: A Fantasy Havest Moon (DS) -- $6
  • Professor Layton and the Curious Village (DS) -- $3.50

Some people might notice that Prof. Layton was a "new purchase" for me just a couple of weeks ago... so why buy again?  Well that copy of the game was traded in to a certain retailer (along with Pilotwings 3DS) to pre-order Resident Evil Revelations. Even though I like Layton, getting a $50 game for $20 was too good an offer to pass up.  But when I saw the chance to nab a cheap replacement it was an easy grab, especially since my wife wants to play through the Layton series after seeing some of the some brain teasers.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 05, 2012, 12:16:05 AM »
So, I went out today, checking some of my usual - and unusual - haunts for old video game crap.  Here's what I found:

Mario Teaches Typing 2 - PC CDROM.  It's a little scratched up - I want to give it a clean before I try running it.  $4.

Super Mario Bros. The Move Original Motion Picture Soundtrack.  Holy Geesh... and you thought the movie was bad.  $6.

Namco Museum 50th Anniversary Edition, GameCube.  Why do I keep buying Namco Museums?  I have two for the GameCube, one for the Wii (and I keep eyeing the other one every time I see it), one for the GBA and one for the DS...  Anyway, $6

Scrabble "email games".  It's apparently a version of Scrabble that you play via e-mail.  Here are the system requirements:
Operating System: Windows 95/98
Processor: Pentium 90 MHz
Memory: 16 MB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 3 MB Free
CD-ROM Drive: 4x CD-ROM Drive
Monitor: 2 MB SVGA
Sound: Windows 95/98 Compatible
Modem: 28,800 Baud
Internet: internet connection
Email - Windows 95/98-based email account that uses file attachments

I was concerned about that last requirement until I realized that my computer doesn't have a 28,800 baud modem, so I'm out of luck.

Seriously, though, I haven't installed it just yet, but I don't think it's going to work.  The user license says:
You are entitled to use this CD-ROM as many times as you like until October 1, 2000.  In using this CD-ROM, you will need to use the Internet in order to access computer servers maintained by Hasbro Interactive or its agents.  You acknowledge that Hasbro Interactive is not responsible for ensuring that such servers are operational at all times.  Hasbro Interactive is committed to maintaining servers for this product until October 1, 2000.  After such date, servers necessary for use of this product may no loner be maintained.

I can't say for sure when this game was released, though I did find this article from March 1999 talking about it.

There's also the ominous warning in fine print on the Em@il Games boxes: "Hasbro is committed to maintaining servers for this product until October 1, 2000." But Hasbro's Megill says gamers shouldn't be put off by the legalese: "If anything, were going to expand our support [for Em@il games] rather than getting rid of it."

For anyone wondering, Hasbro Interactive ceased to exist Jan 29th, 2001.

$1.

And, last, but not least, I got my wife's Valentine's Day present - $4.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 05, 2012, 12:20:25 AM »
I have five options for registering my Scrabble email games software.

Web
Fax Back Form
Mail Back Form
eMail
Toll Free Modem Call

Web registration doesn't work - it sends me to a website that no longer exists.
Trying alternative methods - it'll only let me choose up to 2002 as the year of purchase.

Nope.... no luck.  You start it up, play your first move and it asks for your e-mail address, name and the e-mail of the person you want to play.  When you hit send, it eventually times out with a generic message that it cannot contact the server. :(
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 12:47:02 AM by UncleBob »

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 05, 2012, 12:43:13 AM »
The 50th Anniversary is probably the best Namco Museum, though. It has tons of games that don't appear in most other collections, including some stuff that I'm pretty sure isn't available anywhere else on anything remotely current.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 05, 2012, 01:05:33 AM »
Uncle Bob, you could try resetting the date on your computer back to 1999 and that might allow the game to work. How else would the game now what year it is? So you should be able to trick it.
is your sanity...