Author Topic: 2011--Big Game Flops  (Read 6000 times)

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
2011--Big Game Flops
« on: August 12, 2011, 03:47:31 AM »
Rough year for alot of new games where's a few that I see:

Shadows of the Damn (Xbox/PS3) didn't even break 100K between two platforms and two regions.  Feel this is going be the end of Grasshopper.  Not sure if they have a publisher for Lollipop Chainsaw but I can't see EA fitting the bill for this one.

De Blob 2 (WII/360/PS3/DS)didn't break 100K will all platforms and two regions.  Funny little title but I feel it's the end fo the series.  Another platform hero that's going be sitting the bench along with Bonk, Toe Jam & Earl, and Spyro.

Capcom released two both on the DS,Okamiden and Ghost Trick--didn't expect much from neither titles myself but WW numbers place both games selling 1/4 million each. 

Fear 3 --barely broke 1/4 million as well.  It's a shame the series only went downhill from the begining.

Duke Nukem Forever-- 800K which is good but not when you consider how many years it took for them to develope.  I bet this one is going set the record books in terms of revenue lost.  You can always consider it a tax right off. :)

Those are my finds and I bet there's more to come, please feel free to add your picks for 2011.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 03:51:52 AM by ymeegod »

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Re: 2011--Big Game Flops
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 10:07:54 AM »
The De Blob dev has gone out of business.

DNF was profitable for THQ.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 10:46:35 AM »
DNF would have done better still had the gaming media not been out to sabotage it. It was a generally fun game, but because it wasn't "Call of Duty" it was ridiculed. My guess is most people working reviews nowadays aren't even old enough to remember why Duke Nukem should matter...
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 11:33:58 AM »
Okaiden was never expecte to sell well. It's Okami.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 11:41:29 AM »

Red Faction Armageddon flopped spectacularly as well, and some THQ racing franchise also underperformed.  It's caused THQ to shutter all 3 franchises.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 12:00:30 PM »
I bet if you counted Steam sales, Duke's numbers would be double that.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 12:57:44 PM »
I bet if you counted Steam sales, Duke's numbers would be double that.

Very likely. Of course, you'd have to talk to Gearbox about that since Valve doesn't release sales figures.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 07:35:01 PM »

Red Faction Armageddon flopped spectacularly as well, and some THQ racing franchise also underperformed.  It's caused THQ to shutter all 3 franchises.

You're thinking of MX vs ATV.

Also, Red Faction got mismanaged to death.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 07:58:13 PM »

You're thinking of MX vs ATV.

Also, Red Faction got mismanaged to death.

The thing is, I've seen a lot of accusations that the mismanagement was entirely with Armageddon, as it didn't review all that well and even to me in the demo came off as something of a mediocre Dead Space clone.  But recently, the previous game in the series, Guerrilla, was heavily discounted on PSN for $9.99.  I picked up the game to try it out because I'd heard so much good stuff about it (even Yahtzee liked it), and I'm sorry but that game is one of the most boring I've ever played.  Maybe Guerrilla is a better game, but I had a lot more fun with the Armageddon demo.

I have to wonder if the Red Faction franchise ever had any chance to have a future, though.  The first game's only notable feature was that you could occasionally blow holes in specially-scripted walls, which reappeared in the sequel, and then it was transformed into uninteresting-looking destructible objects for Guerrilla and Armageddon.  The franchise needed a more impressive (or at least more consistent) hook, and it just never got it.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 09:40:54 PM »
3DS - Heyo!!

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 03:23:11 PM »
I have to wonder if the Red Faction franchise ever had any chance to have a future, though.  The first game's only notable feature was that you could occasionally blow holes in specially-scripted walls, which reappeared in the sequel, and then it was transformed into uninteresting-looking destructible objects for Guerrilla and Armageddon.  The franchise needed a more impressive (or at least more consistent) hook, and it just never got it.

Didn't you mess around with the glass house level in the first Red Faction? If you had enough ammunition, you could tunnel through walls with the rocket launcher. It's a shame they dropped the environmental destruction for the 3rd and 4th games (Guerrilla and Armageddon).

Volition should be okay though. Saint's Row The Third is coming later this year and that series has gained fans with crazy and stupid antics after Grand Theft Auto 4 became so serious.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 04:37:40 PM »
I picked up the game to try it out because I'd heard so much good stuff about it (even Yahtzee liked it)

No, he didn't. He called it a bastardized copy of Saints Row 2.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 05:36:56 PM »
I picked up the game to try it out because I'd heard so much good stuff about it (even Yahtzee liked it)

No, he didn't. He called it a bastardized copy of Saints Row 2.

He stated later in a written article (I can't remember the subject, but this was within the last few months) that he liked Guerrilla, just because there's something viscerally satisfying about the destruction.

Didn't you mess around with the glass house level in the first Red Faction? If you had enough ammunition, you could tunnel through walls with the rocket launcher. It's a shame they dropped the environmental destruction for the 3rd and 4th games (Guerrilla and Armageddon).

I'm afraid I never played the original Red Faction, and I only played about an hour or so of Red Faction 2 before putting it down for good.  But I remember in Red Faction 2 the environmental destruction was very picky.  Sometimes a rocket launcher could blast through a wall, but most of the time it was impervious.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 09:25:36 PM by broodwars »

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 08:30:24 PM »
I'm afraid I never played the original Red Faction, and I only played about an hour or so of Red Faction 2 before putting it down for good.  But I remember in Red Faction 2 the environmental destruction was very picky.  Sometimes I rocket launcher could blast through a wall, but most of the time it was impervious.

Oh, right. I haven't heard many good things about the second one. The best I heard was that it was okay and some people are quite fond of it.

Offline alegoicoe

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 10:02:40 PM »
I think Suda51 knew that shadow of the Damn wasent going to sell much.
Nintendo Network ID: LivByDCreed
Switch Friend Code: SW-4906-9561-1308

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 10:12:22 PM »
I would like to say Toe Jam & Earl are not platforming heroes.  Although the second game had some the first was more of a rogue-like kind of thing.

Grasshopper needs to focus on cheaper platforms like the Wii or portables.  I like their games but they are just too out there to be successful when the budgets go up.

Offline Enner

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 11:30:51 PM »
Grasshopper needs to focus on cheaper platforms like the Wii or portables.  I like their games but they are just too out there to be successful when the budgets go up.

It didn't help that their publisher, Electronic Arts, did hardly any marketing for the game. Oh well, WB Games has picked up Grasshopper Manufacturer's Lollipop Chainsaw. I hope that works out better in sales.