Author Topic: Dear PGC staffers,  (Read 1565 times)

Offline Christberg

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Dear PGC staffers,
« on: May 03, 2003, 10:00:58 AM »
Please stop running popups that install intrusive software on people's computers.  I understand your need to make money to keep this site running, and I understand some companies (especially Gator) pay top dollar to have their popups with "innocuous" software on your site.  However, these companies use business tactics that are very misleading, frustrating to the user, and if you install their software, cause system instability and are a violation of the user's privacy, tracking sites visited and creating extra popups based on that.

I try whenever possible to support independent sites like this one, making sure to click through on things I'm interested in, for example, whenever I browse an import site, it usually starts from here or a similar site.  However, I'm NOT interested in Gator "time management tools", any doubleclick.net offer, or similar things.  Most of the people who browse this site won't be as well.  Since I often browse this site and it's forums at work like many people, I can't really install a popup blocker either.

Thanks for listening.

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Dear PGC staffers,
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2003, 10:10:48 AM »
Last time I'm going to say this.  We have little to no control over what pop-ups are sent to us.  If it bothers you, get a pop-up killer, there are literally HUNDREDS of them.  Avant Browser has a lot of great features, uses the IE rendering engine ...  AND kills pop-ups.  You have alternatives.  And quite frankly, if you can't install a pop-up killer at work, perhaps you shouldn't be jeopardizing your job by browsing our site from your place of business.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153