Author Topic: Forum vs. site discussion  (Read 9440 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Forum vs. site discussion
« on: October 06, 2009, 02:51:00 AM »
Evil's afoot in the magical world of Disney.
 <a href=/newsArt.cfm?artid=20101>http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=20101[/url]

An upcoming issue of Game Informer has confirmed Warren Spector's first game at Disney Interactive. The title will be called Epic Mickey, and it will be a Wii-exclusive title.    <P>
The artwork found on the cover of the magazine paints the Disney universe as one being dark and sinister, akin to the studio's own Nightmare Before Christmas. Players will take on the role of Mickey Mouse as he attempts to save the Disney universe from evil. <P>

Join the ongoing discussion of Epic Mickey in our Forums by clicking the link below
http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=29538.0

Now see that wasn't so hard.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 02:51:50 AM »
Forums 1 - Staff 100002039820912830921840917823902174091232
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 03:01:54 AM »
Forums 1 - Staff 100002039820912830921840917823902174091232

I agree with those rankings.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 03:11:37 AM »
That's way off, the forums constantly have stories hours to days before they are posted on the frontpage and linked in the talkback. Ofcourse the site gets lots of exclusive content too, but when there is already a "big" thread with lots of info/discussion/pics I see no harm in pointing to it.

No one is gonna make me believe that no one on the staff saw the thread that started early this afternoon that's close to it's 3rd page (thats fast moving for this site) that has all the rumors and all known information about the game including concept art and who is working on the game... Info dating back to almost 1 year ago. Especially since they are reporting on the confirmation of and never reported the rumoring.

Is rumoring a word? the spell checker didn't notify me of anything, but rumoring sounds like a made up word.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 04:14:02 AM »
As I noted in the original forum thread, I'm not a fan of the Mouse.  I'm more a fan of the Duck and the Goof, and Mickey has worked better in an advisory role (see: Kingdom Hearts and Disney's Philarmagic at Disney World) than as the hero of his own story lately.  I'm going to miss this artwork not being in HD, but it's nice to see a potentially-good game on Wii from Disney.  Here's hoping they don't screw it up.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 07:52:29 AM »
Here BnM... I made the game profile's "Discuss it in the forums" link go right to your thread. :)

https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/gameArt.cfm?artid=20095
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 10:23:16 AM »
No one is gonna make me believe that no one on the staff saw the thread that started early this afternoon

As former News Editor, I rarely got information from the forums. We probably get our information from the same place: the rest of the internet.

If we do directly get something from the forums, we usually throw a "thanks for the tip, forum member!" at the end of the article.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 01:30:52 PM »
Here BnM... I made the game profile's "Discuss it in the forums" link go right to your thread. :)

https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/gameArt.cfm?artid=20095

Thanx Pale.
Thats all I was looking for*, a link leading front pagers deeper into the forums so we can maybe expand beyond the usual 20 suspects and the occasional other 6 that actually post. It's not about personal credit, i could give a damn if I'm mentioned by name, I want to encourage more people to post in the forums.

You guys aren't trying to tell all of us that it is true that once you become a staff member you completely ignore the forums now are you? I'm gonna make a thread in the NWR Discussion area for linking to stories in the forums that haven't shown up on the Main Page so that no one has to visit the front page. maybe all NWR staff could subscribe to the thread so that it works like the "news tip" thing on the front page.

*Something more descriptive to the thread would have been nice though, but baby steps man, baby steps.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 01:36:39 PM »
No, I'm trying to tell you that we don't go to the forums for news. It's not like you guys are all on the inside of the industry. We are capable of using the internet to find news.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 01:51:37 PM »
You guys aren't trying to tell all of us that it is true that once you become a staff member you completely ignore the forums now are you?

What's our incentive to come here?  To read about how much we suck, and how we're so incompetent?  Man, I just can't get enough of that, especially after busting my ass on a daily basis for nothing in return.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 01:52:59 PM »
Wow BNM you are being kind of nasty, the staff at NWR has been doing a great job for a completely volunteer staff with some fascinating exclusive interviews.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 01:56:22 PM »
This has to be some sort of ironic symbolism.

NWR's unpleaseable fanbase = Nintendo's very own unpleaseable fanbase?

OH SHI-
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 01:56:26 PM »
BnM, this is getting a bit ridiculous.  You didn't break the story--you saw it on another site just like NWR.  Is it really that hard to believe?

The difference is, NWR presumably has to do a bit of fact-checking to ensure it's not just a high-quality hoax.  You're free to post anything you want with very little repercussions if it turns out to be totally fake.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 01:59:36 PM »
Then why are they consistently late? Everyone fact checks, and if it was only a few hours then who cares, but this was damn near 12.

By the time you guys posted it, BnM had already posted everything you see in this thread (which is far more in depth and helpful btw).

I know he can speak for himself but BnM is not trying to "show you up" or anything. He's genuinely interested in bringing in information. Even more so, he's genuinely interested in having more forum goers. Why is that so bad?

You guys should just hire him already. It's not like you pay or anything.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 02:01:45 PM by Kashogi Y. Stogi »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 02:00:16 PM »
But we are posting some of it way before you, I know that you guys are volunteers and do this in your free time, but if the info is being dropped right into your lap, then that should make putting up it on the site that much easier and quicker. The entire forum could be just like the news tip thing on the front page, that's why I was suggesting making a thread specifically for it in the NWR Discussion.

I'm not saying that the only way NWR gets stories is to browse the forums, see a story, follow the links to the source and then report it like you found it first. I'm saying that if you getting around to writing up a story and notice that there is already an info rich story/thread about it in the forums, then why not point that out somewhere in the bottom of the article? Why not use info from that thread to beef up your article? and why not use that thread to show off how awesome your own forums are and encourage casual browsers to check out the user side of the forum and not just the discussion of that specific news story, which in this case, is very anemic in comparison. It's not a jab at the site or the staff, just hoping to energize the forums with more active users/posters. It seems like a rather small request being over blown by the staff like I'm insulting you.

"Discuss it in Talkback"
"Discuss it in the Forums"

the two links could co-exist, I don't see why it's such a big deal, especially if the thread being linked to has had a lot of effort & info put into it.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 02:06:15 PM »
Maybe the talkback should have our comments posted underneath the article and then have a link to the forum?

That way, people, without clicking, can see the community and if they'd like to join in they can click the link.

BTW. Staff. This isn't an insult. This is FREE advice from your most dedicated FANS.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 02:08:46 PM »
NWR doesn't want the normal site visitors to find out about me.  It's ok, just chill, everyone.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 02:13:02 PM »
Maybe the talkback should have our comments posted underneath the article and then have a link to the forum?

That way, people, without clicking, can see the community and if they'd like to join in they can click the link.

No offense, but the stuff we talk about is of zero interest to 75% of the people who visit NWR.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 02:14:55 PM »
Man, some of you guys are real ingrates.  Yeah, it is kind of amusing how late these stories can get posted on the front page, but man some of you act like because you were posting on it before that you own the story.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2009, 02:16:13 PM »

No offense, but the stuff we talk about is of zero interest to 75% of the people who visit NWR.

Everyone is interested in the fun house.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2009, 02:19:47 PM »
Stuff about camels and margarine.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2009, 02:20:08 PM »

Ok and what about the rest? I know you pulled that out of your ass, but that's 1 in 4 people who are interested in the forums.

Does NWR not want a larger fan base?

Look. I think we both can agree that NWR would like to have more consistent readers. So what is the best way to make viewers into fans? BnM suggest funneling them into the forums.

What do you suggest?

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2009, 02:24:23 PM »
Judging from what I hear everyday, if NWR wants to increase (or even maintain) readership of the front page they should do everything possible to keep people away from the forums.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2009, 02:27:43 PM »
D=

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2009, 02:31:18 PM »
The forums are a resource and part of the site. Why should it not be treated as such?

No one is trying to own a story, just point out that if they used the forum as the resource that it was, the front page story wouldn't be days late. If we are posting it in the forums then it has likely already been posted somewhere else and that means potential readers aren't getting the most up to date news at NWR they are reading it elsewhere. That's a reader lost, which means potential ad-revenue not gained and a hopeful regular that never visited.

In no way am I trying to insult the efforts of the staff, I'm trying to make a suggestion that would improve the site and make it more cohesive since the site and the forum are 2 sides of the same coin.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2009, 02:34:32 PM »
I don't think they have the free time you do.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2009, 02:46:34 PM »
I can multi-task.
I have volunteered my free time, so why not use it to their advantage?

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2009, 02:53:57 PM »
Send in your staffer application.

Keep in mind you'll have to disclose the free Babiez games you receive each time.  We want the truth about how game companies pamper you.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2009, 03:13:19 PM »
Then why are they consistently late? Everyone fact checks, and if it was only a few hours then who cares, but this was damn near 12.

By the time you guys posted it, BnM had already posted everything you see in this thread (which is far more in depth and helpful btw).

I know he can speak for himself but BnM is not trying to "show you up" or anything. He's genuinely interested in bringing in information. Even more so, he's genuinely interested in having more forum goers. Why is that so bad?

You guys should just hire him already. It's not like you pay or anything.

Then he'd stop visiting the "real" forum like everyone else.

All kidding aside, I think some of you should back off on hating BnM for actually CARING about the site (which includes the forums) as much as he's showing he does.

I can multi-task.
I have volunteered my free time, so why not use it to their advantage?

You're quick to use the "We're all doing this on a volunteer basis" excuse, but what do you think BnM is doing? He too has a job and a personal life to maintain, i'm sure, but he's still around almost daily and delivering news and rumours in the forum (where we always have jokingly said the staff doesn't visit). Why not thank him for his suggestions to help the site gain readership/regular posters here?

Wanna know how i discovered the forum? When news on Nintendos next system, Project Dolphin seemed to come to a screeching hault on the front page of PlanetN200.com, i finally decided to explore more of the site and clicked that little forum button. At first, i was bored by it. It was the first forum I ever visited and until I gave it a chance, I thought it was something I'd never come back to... until I was desperate for some news regarding the Dolphin and discovered some wild and interesting discussions in there. I lurked for some time before joining about 3 years ago.

Honestly.. i haven't really been back to the front page since. No offense, but the forums were just more interesting and usually had some news first. In an era where Nintendo is back on top and everyone everywhere is supporting some sorta nintendo news, what keeps me glued to THIS site is the community i discovered here all those years ago. Seeing the familiar 'faces' dwindle with very few new ones to replace them is disheartening..

So again, why not encourage readers to stay and enjoy the forums? It just seems like a no brainer to me. Even if you still wanna link to the Talkback topic which is usually a little later than the original thread started elsewhere in the forum, why not include at least a few choice quotes from your regular visitors from the other threads? Post your story however late, but show the outside world theres more to the site then news that might've come a little late.. show them the great community we have here.
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2009, 04:55:31 PM »
We'll look into this and come up with some sort of solution for the near-term.

For now, back to your regularly-scheduled Epic Mickey thread.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2009, 04:57:25 PM »

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2009, 04:58:43 PM »
Nice lol

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2009, 05:03:38 PM »
Lindy is right

You heard the man ....  ;)

Wow Pale brought up something really interesting in there!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2009, 06:02:07 PM »
Well hey if you remember before I ended up on staff I was running some of the rumor and news racket on the forums on a speedy basis. Writing stories takes up a lot more time than just simply copy and pasting random info on the forums and calling it a day.

I also found the first US DSi packaging on NeoGaf and Carmine quickly jumped on and posted it on the front page. I also got credit for the find :P
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 06:08:14 PM by NWR_Flames_of_chaos »
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2009, 05:32:55 PM »
i remember way back in the early days I translated a french article for pgc, the staff was too lazy to do it. I ended up cleaning it up nicely. A couple of other people helped too.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Re: Forum vs. site discussion
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2009, 06:35:07 PM »
This is the 2nd thread spin off today.... interesting.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Re: Forum vs. site discussion
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2009, 04:11:21 PM »
We'll get a guided FPS out of this, eventually.