Author Topic: I'm sure you're aware  (Read 21909 times)

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
I'm sure you're aware
« on: August 29, 2007, 05:16:17 PM »
But we're dying
Death

What are you're theories?
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: I'm sure you're aware
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 05:38:45 PM »
<-------

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 06:20:14 PM »
I agree with the above post

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 09:18:54 PM »
GoNintendo and NeoGaf are to blame, obviously.

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 02:03:38 AM »
I suspected as much. GoNintendo is disgusting.
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 03:01:31 AM »
I think ShyGuy's right.  Gonintendo posts just about everything NWR reports on, and rarely sources them.  Is there something that could be done to prevent this/stop that whore of a Nintendo site?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 03:44:46 AM »
Instead of fighitng over the hardcore internet user with the other sharks, NWR needs a blue ocean strategy.

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 04:34:47 AM »
Well I thought if PGC got back to what it was good at; Lobbying voters in the Gamefaqs character poll, we could win back some serious cred with the moron crowd.
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 05:57:26 AM »
Hmm... blue ocean strategy...blue ocean strategy.....hmmm

God, this is harder than Nintendo makes it look!

Yeah, but it's easy to pinpoint the difficulties. There's a lot more competition now, it seems to me. GoNintendo has become the seminal Nintendo news site, whether you like it or not, NeoGAF has risen in prominence (I think...), and even VGChartz has become a watering hole for Nintendo denizens (I just saw couchmonkey post there! BETRAYAL!!! ... and Darc Requiem).

With the rise of specialized sites, a jack-of-all trades fan site seems to have a harder time differentiating itself.

... here's a preliminary idea. You're called NintendoWorldReport. You wanted to sound like some newsy thingy that we'd hear on the radio or see on tv.

Live up to that.

Re-center the website's offerings on podcast segments. Have more podcasts in the week, but shorter, with less people, and at one topic each. Instead of having one giant 60 minute podcast a week with 4 people, instead you should have 3-5 podcasts a week, each of length 1-3 minutes, each of 1-2 people involved, each talking about ONLY one or two news topics. Feature these podcasts prominently on the front page as if they were a series of news announcements, and dedicate a feature slider just to them to show off the frequency of updates and the one-click accessibility to some podcasted Nintendo goodness.

Even have a NintendoWorldReport News Theme that's more Broadcast News and less awesome music riffs (though I will miss those.../sniff).

Ah, but doesn't a 1-3 minute podcats with only 1 or 2 people destroy discourse? Fix that by making some or many podcasts rebuttal podcasts, continuing the same topic but offering a different opinion. This actually dramatically increases the visible "new content" buzz that visitors will get.

This is all in an effort to:

1. Differentiate the site and offer something new that no one else will have and that no one else is doing. This will also hopefully garner attention as people on the intarweb link to your 1-3 minute snippets of reporting information.

2. Keep production low. Yes, you're doing more podcasts, but if each podcast is 2 minutes long, that can't possibly take a long time. If each podcast is only one or two people, you don't need to coordinate with others and can do it on your own schedule. If each podcast is short enough to cover one topic, there's no need to write reams of extra content to validate yourself.

3. Jazz up the site front and increase the content flow for viewers to keep clicking back day after day. You don't need epic features to do this. You just need new, delectable morsels of content for them to consume. And at 1-3 minutes a pop to listen to each individual audiocast, there's nothing to fear! (Like those new oreos, only 100 calories a bag!)

Eventually you can even offer comment threads for each individual podcast, or allow select, trusted users from your forums (I.E. IanSane) to submit their own podcasts... allowing of course that these community contributions come from trusted community members, are 2 minutes in length or shorter, and screened beforehand in both written and listened form. You could have a formal community contest in which users write a X-hundred word podcast script that you guys read, then allow us to podcast for you (or you to read for us). The key of course is that you screen the content beforehand, that screening is easy (because 2 minutes is short), and that you feature these user podcasts along your own to spice things up.

All in all, I suggest that you take advantage of your new news slant.

Drum it up with a cheesy news theme in all your "news segments."

Have new, quick, bite-sized, consumer friendly "news segments" at least 3 times a week, preferably more.

Have each of these short segments focus exclusively on one topic to squeze all that you can from each individual topic, and to never run out of possible topics.

Feature these all prominently on your front page in a podcast thumbnail slider that shows off how active you are and how easy it is to listen.

Be able to create new content easily by merely taking for 2-3 minutes at a time. BAM! New "news segment" to post!

Create additional content through rebuttal podcasts and the occasional user-submitted podcast.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 06:03:43 AM »
NWR is too boring and professional. I realize they want to be taken seriously, and not be seen as a fan site, but...Nintendo fans like fun. The site should be more fun.  
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 06:05:28 AM »
I like it!  I think Kairon's got the right style here.  If you can do video reports too, that'd be awesome!  I like the user podcasts, but if NWR goes away from type and onto other forms of media, I might just have to go for a staff position thing.  Anyways, that's some real style NWR could have.  I'd love to see video VC reviews that go through the basics of the game.  Those would be awesome.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
RE:I'm sure you're aware
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 06:12:22 AM »
That's why they need to drum up the cheesiness with a cheesy news theme like Broadcast News.

... Which... Youtube didn't have a clip of. So watch this other snippet from that movie instead!

Joan Cusack is awesome.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2007, 06:17:09 AM »
Ah, but video reviews are tough. Because you have... well.. video.

They're awesome, but I bet they take SOOO much more production work, especially if you're gonna keep the news schlock included. Whereas a podcast just needs a cheesy intro and outro to make it feel official, a video news segment would need those, plus an intro screen, plus a made up fancy ticker along the bottom, plus someone videocasting from digs that look remotely respectable. A 2-3 minute audio news segment takes maybe 10 minutes to put together, not including prep. A 2 minute video news segment... probably sibstantially longert that it becomes unfeasable for a fansite of limited means.

No, when it comes to creating a well-crafted illusion of tongue-in-cheek professionalism, seeing is actually disbelieving.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2007, 06:26:25 AM »
But being able to see someone talk about the game they are playing while they play it would be worth it, if it's done professionally, unlike most of those youtube reviewers.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2007, 06:28:54 AM »
Doing it professionally is the tough bit.

However, sticking to a radio format is much easier, and almost as good.

Besides... go video and not only will you have vastly increased production and time requirements, but you go up against the combined juggernaut of Bloodworth and gametrailers.

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2007, 07:40:10 AM »
What you guys want, we just don't have the manpower or budget for. Regular video content? With what editing suites? From what talented video editors? With what camera, and in what studio?

As for daily podcasts, it's something I'd love to do, but again, we just don't have the manpower to get a group together every day, do a show, edit everything together, and have it up by midnight. Remember that we all have dayjobs or go to school full time. While I'd never sacrifice our independent status for a corporate sponsorship, the downside is that we can't always keep up with 1Up or GameTrailers or Game Informer.
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2007, 07:54:13 AM »
I don't think most of us are asking you to keep up with those sites.  What we're asking for is for you to provide something that those other sites can't (or don't).  What separates NWR from its competitors?  What makes people want to visit your site?  Right now you have the forums, the podcast, trivia and a few scattered other things (like VC Mondays).  That's about it.   And most of these are only important to subsets of the general gaming population.  Big (worthwhile) features are far and few between.  Reviews/previews--while good--aren't anything special that readers can't get from other sites.  News is hit or miss depending on the day/time; even then it's often just a copy/paste of a press release.

When you take all that and combine it with the fact that the front page layout is less-than-stellar and ads completely overrun the site, it's no wonder that page views are down.  I know this isn't Karl's job, but someone over at NWR needs to sit down and come up with a plan to turn the site around before it completely stalls out.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2007, 07:55:39 AM »
That's why I emphasize ONE-MAN podcasts that last 2-3 MINUTES.

There's no need to edit something so short except to input the intro and outro.
There's no need to organize around anybody's schedule if you don't need more than one person on the podcast.
And there's no need to do a lot of prep work when these are basically news segments with snippets of personalized commentary thrown in as an aside.

I think that all the logistical problems with podcasts are minimized if the audio releases drastically shrink in both length and scope, and the relative payout for daily news segment spoken snippets is huge compared to daily copy-pastings of press releases.

Feature these daily short news audio clips on the site front page and you're instantly differentiated from the other sites out there. Heck, you could even record the audio clip in five minutes with a voice recorder detween tasks anytime during the day, then slap the intro and outro later when you have time to download the file to your personal computer.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2007, 08:45:33 AM »

Originally posted by: ViewtifulGamer
What you guys want, we just don't have the manpower or budget for. Regular video content? With what editing suites? From what talented video editors? With what camera, and in what studio?

As for daily podcasts, it's something I'd love to do, but again, we just don't have the manpower to get a group together every day, do a show, edit everything together, and have it up by midnight. Remember that we all have dayjobs or go to school full time. While I'd never sacrifice our independent status for a corporate sponsorship, the downside is that we can't always keep up with 1Up or GameTrailers or Game Informer.

Yeah, it's hard to remember NWR isn't even made of paid staff.  Video reviews would be too tough, and highly criticized, too.  I do like the podcast snippets.  Something one person could write and say pretty quickly.  It isn't possible to duplicate on another site, so it could be very valuable.  I'd volunteer a guest column regularly if you guys took community efforts in the podcasts, and of course, if I can croon out a story well enough for NWR's standards.

I'd also like to see favorite comments being featured on articles/press releases, similar to the older system with PGC.com when staff comments would appear at the bottom of the story.  I know you guys switched that because you wanted to show an unbiased, accurate story and because you wanted to promote the forums, but if you selected good comments, it would allow more forum advertisement and bring character to the front page.

Additionally, I'd like to see what I, as a fan, can do for NWR.  Even though I only joined the forums around the beginning of the year or so, I've been visiting the site since Rick was in charge.  If you think it would help to call up Nintendo's hotline and mention something to them about the site, I'd love to.  If you guys ever accepted donations for running the site, I could certainly set aside a bit.  But I can't do anything if I don't know whether or not you guys might want a hand or not.  This site's just too good to fall out of the Nintendo fan's eyes, IMO.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2007, 08:58:04 AM »
Let's do a rundown of the landscape of the internet gaming news and information scene.

First off, we have the big gamings sites with corporate sponsorship. The big three seem to be IGN, Gamespot, and 1up. Cassamassina over at IGN completely dominates the Nintendo coverage.

Message boards are becoming a popular news source and sites like NeoGaf, Penny Arcade Forums, and GameFAQs are popular. NeoGaf being a step above the rest.

Next, we have the gaming blogs. These have grown in popularity over the last couple years. The big three seem to be Joystiq, Kotaku, and Destructoid.

Narrowing it down further, we have the Nintendo centric gaming blogs. The big three of this group are GoNintendo, Infendo, and 4colorrebellion. RawmeatCowboy at GoNintendo is far and away the #1 site here.

Moving down(?) the chain we have Nintendo fan sites, or "Pro-Am" sites if you will. NWR, N-philes, and  N-sider are good examples. Lately, this category as a whole seems to be on the decline, but I believe NWR is probably #1 out of this group.

NWR is really more than a mere Nintendo fan site, and it just needs that extra push to take it to the next level, IMO.  

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2007, 09:21:48 AM »
I think this should be a topic for a podcast.  Karl, make it happen.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Karl Castaneda #2

• Staff Clone
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2007, 10:04:00 AM »
Heh, vudu, you know I'm always up for new podcast ideas. I'll shuffle stuff around the RFN regulars.
I am Karl Castaneda's news-posting clone, also known as Karl Castaneda #2. I have an inferiority complex, thanks to my being a clone. Fear me!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2007, 11:11:15 AM »
I don't have many ideas that would be doable with your budget, but perhaps having more exclusive writings, like editorials. Those are something that can't be duplicated and remain unique to the site. Heck Evan has enough time to write mile long ones on his blog, maybe have him split up his time to write some for NWR .
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2007, 11:32:46 AM »
You should put a mug shot of each staff member next to their editorials too, so you can build your brands.

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2007, 05:24:32 PM »
I really like Kairons idea for shorter podcasts. I think 5-10 minutes would be perfect. And yeah, more regular podcasts too.
pietriots.com
Calenture