Author Topic: Is news coming about the new name  (Read 11336 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Is news coming about the new name
« on: July 26, 2006, 12:24:31 PM »
The new name is suppose to be released in summer sometime right?  I was just wondering how things were going since we started talking about it again.  Plus it be a great time for something exciting to happen during this dead spell.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: Is news coming about the new name
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 02:19:48 PM »
UR-N-World.com

bookmark now!
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 06:31:53 PM »
of course it is, there will be a new name, so news is still going to come
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 08:56:24 AM »
But soon man... Soon....
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 09:06:31 AM »
any hint?

(like, is Pro right on track? )
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Pryopizm

• Staff Jedis-Are-Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 04:44:10 PM »
I suggested STANS WORLD OF JOY TIME and Nintendo, but it was refused.  
"Bullets, my only weakness.  How did you know?"

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 07:49:14 PM »
You got stiff competition I'm sure.  I mean it's suppose to be cooler to say and write then Wii.  Plus have a better acronym then PGC.  

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 09:11:11 PM »
Thanks to my top-secret insider PGC contacts, I already know that the new name will be...

www.nintendofunhouse.com  
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
RE:Is news coming about the new name
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 12:49:56 PM »
Back when news of the name Wii hit, I spent some time thinking of other names that might have fit Nintendo's goals that I would have liked better.  One of my favorites was ion.  I think that would make a cool name for a Nintendo website, too.  The full name would be i on Nintendo, as in Eye on Nintendo.  It could be shortened to ion, which is not only a shortening of the full name, but also a recursive acronym.  The i is a play on Nintendo's Wii logo, of course.  As of this moment, the domain name is available in multiple forms, too.

Of course, I still like PlanetN.com better, and it might be available a week from today according to whois.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 05:15:24 PM »
Wandering's right. I've said that the funhouse would take over the site, back when Louie FM became Fun House Radio. I'll seekout the thread.

EDIT: Found it!
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2006, 10:51:42 AM »
*Bump*
To go with the Funhouse Thread that mention it.
When are we getting any information on the new name?

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2006, 11:57:39 AM »
Seriously guys.. this is way overdue. I thought Jonny already had the name months ago..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2006, 12:10:25 PM »
To speak for Jonny (and all senior staff), I wanted to let you guys know this: first, the mere act of picking a name takes a long time. After this though there are legal issues since we are a registered business, and a complete overhaul of our current site. "New name" is not merely changing the color scheme on PGC and replacing the words "Planet GameCube" with "Evan's Crazy House." Our staff is working HARD, and I can guarantee that, just like Nintendo, we're not going to ship out the new site until it's ready.

Whoops, totally let the new name slip there. Well, might as well reveal it here.
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2006, 12:14:22 PM »
I know it takes longer then any of us thinks.  But please remember that if it ain't broke don't fix it.  Please don't do thinks to the site just because its new.  (Say like going to all flash.  That would royally stink for me.)

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2006, 02:02:25 PM »
I hope everyone on the internet assumes the worst, and then when we do make changes, declares them awful. Of course, I don't have to hope for this - it will happen automatically.
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2006, 03:55:09 PM »

Originally posted by: Svevan
To speak for Jonny (and all senior staff), I wanted to let you guys know this: first, the mere act of picking a name takes a long time. After this though there are legal issues since we are a registered business, and a complete overhaul of our current site. "New name" is not merely changing the color scheme on PGC and replacing the words "Planet GameCube" with "Evan's Crazy House." Our staff is working HARD, and I can guarantee that, just like Nintendo, we're not going to ship out the new site until it's ready.

I realize there is a ton of work that goes into domain shifts, especially for larger sites and if one is going to change the design and likely alter the database content. I won't argue any of that, and know that it's a daunting task for the staff.

I will speak, though, from a "user hit" perspective. Ideally, this new domain name should have been unveiled and in place before the Wii launch. There will be huge online interest in the console at this time, and it's very likely that you guys will get linked too a lot, raising your "rank" via Google and other search engines that in turn would make you appear much more often in searches. The problem then is if you change the name after that, then all of that "link credit" will be a wash and you will have to start all over again in building references to increase your rank. That's going to have to happen anyway, of course, but it would have been much safer breaking into the new domain name with a ton of sites linked to you just as the system launches.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2006, 04:07:01 PM »
When you type in "GameCube" into Google, PGC is right up there after the official sites and IGN. It's a shame that this probably won't happen with Wii, for numerous reasons.. Even if you have the tags, from what Jonny has said, the site won't contain the word "Wii" - I really think that will come back to haunt the site.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2006, 04:17:36 PM »

Originally posted by: IceCold
When you type in "GameCube" into Google, PGC is right up there after the official sites and IGN. It's a shame that this probably won't happen with Wii, for numerous reasons.. Even if you have the tags, from what Jonny has said, the site won't contain the word "Wii" - I really think that will come back to haunt the site.

I agree. Google and other search engines HIGHLY favor ranks based on the URL and the page title, and having "GameCube" in both for PGC was a great source to increase that rank for searches of that console. Companies have also caught on to the abuse of Meta Tags, and those don't do a great deal of good anymore (this has been true as far back as 2002 even) on the popular search engines.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2006, 06:03:21 PM »
This sucks.  Let's all just flee the sinking ship and flock over to ign.com.  GOOD RIDDANCE.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2006, 04:18:46 PM »
I refuse to be a voiceless nothing.

Offline Pryopizm

• Staff Jedis-Are-Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2006, 05:13:36 AM »

Originally posted by: Svevan

Whoops, totally let the new name slip there. Well, might as well reveal it here.

I suggest renaming the site to "Evan is Fired."

"Bullets, my only weakness.  How did you know?"

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2006, 08:49:18 AM »
So apparently we find out this week?

Offline IceCold

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2006, 12:37:07 PM »
Hopefully you don't stick to your myopic kneejerk reaction..

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2006, 03:00:10 PM »
I'm thinking I should do a little digging a find out the new site name for myself...

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2006, 04:11:51 PM »
Looks like they didn't like my sugestion...