Author Topic: The FaceBall 2000 16 years later thread...  (Read 72165 times)

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
Well I was talking to my friend Aaron (Decoyman) about this last night, and since has to drive right through Des Moines to get to the event, and that's where I live, I may be hopping in the car and coming with.  
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Whoo!  The more, the merrier!
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
How could I say now to 16 player Faceball?  

You guys don't really know me very well, but I lurk on the forums occasionally, and got to partake in at least one game of Mafia.  I think this would be a pretty fun event.  I need to get more involved in this community, so I can retire from the zealots over at infendo.com

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile

Originally posted by: DrewMG
I need to get more involved in this community, so I can retire from the zealots over at infendo.com

Hear hear!

P.S. - 32 days till Faceball 2000 Mega-event!
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline decoyman

• View Profile
Re: The FaceBall 2000 Event of the year megathread:
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2008, 04:02:48 PM »
My bump. My bump. My lovely faceball bump.

There's like 2 and a half weeks till this thing, did you hear? GGAHHH!!
Twitter

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2008, 04:28:15 AM »
Okay - anyone who's coming - I've got some issues (well, that should be apparent by now...)

Anywhoo, At this time, I need six Game Boy Color/Advance/SP/Players.  There are issues with the older Game Boys/Pockets and they won't work.

Second, my Canadian guy has fell through.  I think he's afraid to cross the border because of drug related charges here in the US or something.  So I'm looking for people who are coming that can bring their GameCube and copy of Mario Kart: Double Dash.  Extra if you have a BroadBand Adapter (which will be necessary as well)...

Let me know if you can come through!
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2008, 05:15:10 AM »
well if I see anything cheap at the local game store, I'll pick it up, but no promises.  i'm buying a house (and HDTV) this week, so i'm a bit strapped for cash.

is the event still on if you don't get your supplies?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2008, 06:13:42 AM »
The event is still on - I can't believe there won't be at least 6 Game Boy Color/Advances that people can bring with them for the FaceBall.  We'll still have tons of DSes there for DS gaming.  Still have GBAs for Four Swords and 2 Game Cubes for 8-Player Mario Kart.  Still want to play Brawl in groups.  It'll still be fun. :)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2008, 06:36:11 AM »
I won't be able to attend, but I'll mail you my SP if you promise to send it back when you're done.  Let me know if you need it.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2008, 06:42:26 AM »
Will do, vudu. :)

Any particular reason why you won't be able to come?  There will be sleeping arrangements (Bring your own pillow/sleeping bag/blanket - you're sleeping on the floor) and very possibly food provided (dunno about that, it might cost too much).

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2008, 07:37:51 AM »
I'll bring a GBA, though I have an original GB with link adapter. I can also bring my Gamecube/Mario Kart/BBA.

No mention of hubs/routers/cables/power strips. Whats the situation there?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2008, 07:57:49 AM »
GBA is great.  Original Game Boys don't work (trust me, I have six and I've tried them all) - neither do Game Boy Pockets.  Don't worry about bringing them.

Bring your Game Cube/Mario Kart/BBA and controllers.  That'd be great.  And an Ethernet cable. :)  We still need one more GameCube/Mario Kart.  If you don't have a BBA, I'll still take you as a volunteer, because I might be able to get an extra BBA for the day.

Also, anyone with GameCubes/Game Boy Players - we can use those to fill in for the missing six Game Boys.  And it can make more fun for stuff like Four Swords/Four Swords Adventures.

I'll bring my hub/router that'll get the job done.  Unfortunately, there won't be internet access here (unless someone has a cell-wireless air card they want to bring)... If anyone plans on bringing stuff like 360's or what not, consider bringing your own hubs or what not as well - it might be handy.

Power strips - I'm fine for my stuff - if you plan on bringing anything of your own, it's going to be highly recommended that you bring a power strip (with surge protection).

Something that hasn't come up yet - Televisions.  I'm lugging in my 37" Flat Panel (I'll have to get the stand out of the attic), a large 27" television and two small 13" TVs.  Another friend here in town might have a few TVs we can use too.  If anyone has some TVs they want to bring, it won't hurt.

Again, bring sleeping bags, pillows, etc., etc.  Also, I'm planning to have drinks on hand (soda and bottled water, of course), but I haven't committed to food yet.  I've got to talk it over with the wife and see what it's going to cost...  I'll probably grab some munchies as well.

There will be no drinking, illegal drugs or smoking.  If you do smoke, building rules (and Illinois State Law) forbids you from doing so inside the building.  It's been rather chilly here lately, so bring a warm coat.

And finally, I do hope anyone who's coming will consider buying Brawl from my Wal*Mart.  I'm working hard to make the Wal*Mart event a success (so, perhaps, I can do more such things in the future).  Ultimately, though, it doesn't matter how many people show up - it matters how many copies we sell.  Please consider me (I'll be watching the ads and trying to price match the best deal for y'all, but I can't promise anything).

With that note - bring your Wiis!  After Midnight and we all roll back in with our copies of Brawl, it'll suck to have to play four at a time.

If you don't have a Wii... well, I'm *trying* to get us some extra qty for that night.  No promises...

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2008, 08:01:34 AM »
Any particular reason why you won't be able to come? 

Just bad timing.  Lots going on at work.  I'm taking three classes this semester because I want to graduate in May.  I have a project and a midterm first week in March.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2008, 05:04:56 PM »
I've got the BBA Enabled, GameBoy Player Gamecube and Mario Kart DD, I can bring (Also FF:CC For those of you who have never played it).  I'll have to find them, I think I know where there at, but I also have a GBC, GBA, and SP.  I know off the top of my head where the GBA is and probably the Color but  I don't know about the SP.

On the TV Side I have a little not very good TV I can bring.  My big one is out (90 Pounds and the wife wouldn't like it.)  If anyone would like I could bring my PS3 W/ Eye of Judgement, I think I know where the RCA Cords are for it.  On the Flipside though I have no idea where my RCA cords are for my Wii.  I only have component so I don't know how useful it be for me to bring.

Doesn't you Wife do Catering UncleBob?  I'm good for about $30.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 05:16:27 PM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline decoyman

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2008, 05:23:34 PM »
No SP, Gamecube, BBA, etc... I'm kind of a minimalist when it comes to game systems. I'll bring my Wii and DS though.

I have a 20" tube tv I could bring.

I'm also willing to chip in fundage for the foodage.
Twitter

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2008, 06:33:37 PM »
Ceric - I've got the RCA Cables from my Wii (which is, of course, hooked up via component).  If you want to bring your Wii, then I'll have cables we can use with it.

If Ceric and Bustin brings their GCN/Mario Kart/BBAs, we're good to go (I have two of each already).  If anyone else is coming has the applicable goods, go ahead and bring it, just in case. :)

And regardless, bring your Game Boy Colors and Advances - might need them. :)

So, who all from NWR is coming?

As for food - yes, my wife does, in fact, cater. :)  That's why I gotta get with her and see what the food is gonna cost. :)

Anyone who wants to chip in on the food is welcome to.  It's not at all necessary (I'm already asking y'all to drive down here and sleep on the floor, so I'm not going to ask everyone to pay for catering)... But I won't complain. ;)

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2008, 07:23:59 PM »
I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth, but I was just figuring on making a Burger King run for food. Especially since we're going to be heading out to Walmart anyway. I do think finger food would be cool, but maybe fruits and veggies cause if we're sharing equipment some people may not want cheetoes powder all over their GBA.

I'm one of those 'picky' eaters. I also have a weak stomach. The long drive combined with unfamiliar food will not make a pleasant memory. If we can leave the food options open that would be terrific.

Drinks: I plan on bringing a 24 pack of Mountain Dew.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2008, 07:56:51 PM »
... but maybe fruits and veggies ...

Drinks: I plan on bringing a 24 pack of Mountain Dew.

Fru1t5 and V3gg135 N0t l33t.
M0unta1n D3w l33t.

What can I say I'm rusty.

Seriously enough I'll probably bring something Caffeine Free if anything, like Caffiene Free Mountain Dew :) Soooo not l33t but, tasty.

I figure there be a pile o'pizza in the end but, I'm all for less messy artery clogging food.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2008, 08:02:46 PM »
If anyone wants to be on their own for food, that's fine too. :)

Food options are quite limited here though.  We have a Subway, McDonald's, Pizza Hut, Dairy Queen, a Chinese Buffet, a Domino's, a great local pizza chain called Dimaggio's and my wife's parent's place, Yesterday's Drive In.

I figure I can get some wipes for cleaning hands/controllers quickly... ;)

Aside from Subway, healthy food choices are limited.... However, if I do have my wife do some of the cooking with their catering menu, it'll be damn good.  The BBQ Pork is *awesome*.  Cheese Potatoes are extra tasty too.

If anyone is bringing soda - do you live in an area with a decent size Jewish community?  If so, let me know!  I want to see if you can score some "Passover Coke" or "Kosher Coke".  I'd be your biggest fan. :)

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2008, 07:07:19 PM »
I had a hard month this month so I don't know if I'll have the funds to make it up.  I'll try but contigency should probably be made.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2008, 07:17:28 PM »
Oh no!  I need you! (and your BBA'd-GCN and Mario Kart!!!)....

:(

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2008, 01:54:10 AM »
I have:

1-cube sorry no BBA
Couple GC controllers
Couple Gba-GC cords
Ds
LOTS OF DS GAMES

Tv wise theres my plasma which is no way in hell going on a 4 hour ride, and my 27 inch tv which is very heavy, I would prefer not to bring it but if I have to I guess I will. 

I think food as in din din should be outside the place.  It allows for people to spread out and find food thats right for them, however I think snacks and drinks could be held at the center. 

UB do you need any help setting up the place early in the morning sat or fri evening?   I am going and I convinced my roomie to go as well so he'd help too.

Will Walmart price match deals?  CC is giving away a 10 dollar gift card with Brawl but if you want us to get it at Walmart that is cool too.  Working at retail before I am going to go with NO they will not match a deal only a price.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2008, 09:18:01 AM »
As of yet, we're not matching anything.  Once it gets closer and all the deals are out on the table, I plan to push to allow us to match the best deal, at least for the launch party.

Offline decoyman

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2008, 12:23:43 PM »
I had a hard month this month so I don't know if I'll have the funds to make it up.  I'll try but contigency should probably be made.

Ah, Ceric, you've got to come! Find a way, man, find a way! :-\
Twitter

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2008, 02:49:37 PM »
Come Monday I'll either be flying a Hoover flag or penny pinching.  Which reminds me.  UncleBob you still haven't given us an address (viy e-mail, whatever.)  So we'll see.  I really hate to miss this.