Author Topic: Activision Announces Science Papa  (Read 7653 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Activision Announces Science Papa
« on: May 16, 2009, 05:05:46 AM »
Activision experiments with science and fun on the Wii and DS.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=18451

Activision has recently announced Science Papa, a game all about having fun with science. Taking elements from real world science, Activision hopes to achieve family fun while stimulating science discussion and fueling childrenÂ’s curiosity. Players will join Science Papa as the newest member of his research team,  facing off against rival scientists through over 30 different experiments that feature creative use of motion control on Wii and touch control on DS.  Players can also compete against each other and see who can complete an experiment the fastest while maintaining their scientific precision.    

Science Papa will be released this July.    

ACTIVISION PUBLISHING PUTS THE FUN BACK IN THE LAB WITH SCIENCE PAPA THIS JULY

MINNEAPOLIS, MN – May 14, 2009 – 'Activision Publishing, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI) today announced Science Papa™ 'is coming to Wii™ and Nintendo DS™ this July. Using fundamentals from a wide variety of sciences as a basis for fun skill-based experiments, Science Papa will turn living rooms into virtual laboratories that will fuel kids' curiosity.    

“With Science Papa', weÂ’re taking real-world elements of science and giving players the chance to interact with them in safe and creative ways,” said David Oxford, Activision Publishing. “While the focus here is clearly family fun, the game can stimulate interest and discussion about science.”    

In Science Papa', the player is the newest member of Science PapaÂ’s research team, looking to become the greatest scientist in the world. It wonÂ’t be easy, however, as players must prove their scientific worth against a crazy cast of rival scientists in intense competitions. Science Papa' features over 30 different experiments for players, and by utilizing motion controls or Nintendo DS stylus, players will pour and mix chemicals, pound objects into dust, monitor Bunsen burners, fix and use lab equipment and more. Players can also invite their friends into the lab, and compete against each other in split screen science competitions to see who can finish an experiment first, and with the most precision.    

For more information visit www.activision.com

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Re: Activision Announces Science Papa
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 12:37:58 PM »
Now...

If PETA protested Cooking Mama because of her meat based dishes, will they protest Science Papa for experimenting with animals?

HAH HAH HAH I MADE A FUNNY WITH SOCIAL COMMENTARY! DUH I IS SMART! :D
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 02:56:30 PM »
I think we'll see more feminists complain that they saw fit to replace Mama with Papa because the game is about science instead of housework.

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 03:50:01 PM »
I think we'll see more feminists complain that they saw fit to replace Mama with Papa because the game is about science instead of housework.

I sincerely hope not.  Cooking and gardening are creative outlets.  Now, if it were "Sweeping Mama," they'd have a point.
Not just flowers,I love them all like weeds and     veget
able.

I want to do garden forever.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 04:01:47 PM »

Honestly, I'm starting to side with that camp these days.  That we have a Babysitting Mama coming out followed by a Science Papa just seems to make the sexism all the more glaring.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 04:11:12 PM »
The Mama games are from Majesco though, not Activision. Besides, people are always complaining about the lack of games starring women.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 04:12:35 PM »
Kairon works for Majesco, maybe he can tell us what they were thinking.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 04:18:47 PM »
The Mama games are from Majesco though, not Activision. Besides, people are always complaining about the lack of games starring women.

Oh come on, you're not going to argue that having games staring women performing stereotypical "women" roles (cooking, cleaning, taking care of the kids) is the better option.  It reinforces a bad stereotype, one that Activision is only reinforcing on the other side of the spectrum (it's not coincidence that this new game uses a similar name...they know what they're doing).

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 04:20:38 PM »
What's wrong with women learning to do their job?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 04:23:35 PM »

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 04:23:45 PM »
What's wrong with women learning to do their job?

*facepalm*

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 04:29:24 PM »

Oh come on, you're not going to argue that having games staring women performing stereotypical "women" roles (cooking, cleaning, taking care of the kids) is the better option.  It reinforces a bad stereotype, one that Activision is only reinforcing on the other side of the spectrum (it's not coincidence that this new game uses a similar name...they know what they're doing).

Whether you agree with it or not, most people in the gardening and cooking professions ARE women. I can't believe anybody is even complaining. There is nothing stereotypical here or any of these games.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 04:32:39 PM »

Whether you agree with it or not, most people in the gardening and cooking professions ARE women. I can't believe anybody is even complaining. There is nothing stereotypical here or any of these games.

Well excuse the hell out of me for growing up in a family of strong women, having the audacity to believe in something aproximating gender equality where neither sex has to be pigeonholed into a specific role.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 04:39:22 PM »
Kairon works for Majesco, maybe he can tell us what they were thinking.

Oh har de har har.

I think it's pretty obvious, given the "Mama" "Papa" parallel that this is as close a reflection of the original success without mucking up the formula.

If they wanted to show that the game was not gender-biased, they'd do what Taito did with Cooking Mama 2 on the Wii: give Science Papa a daughter who he's teaching all this to, like Mama was teaching a young boy in the Wii sequel.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 04:43:11 PM »
Ironically, the Gardening Mama TV spot has young men playing the game and proudly showing their green thumbs.

I think both games are playing off of playful cartoon "stereotypes". Science has their cooky, funny, silly scientists (like Ludwig Von Drake, Doc Brown etc.) while cooking and home making have their warm, slightly silly mothers (June Cleaver Carol Brady etc.).
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 04:44:00 PM »
If they wanted to show that the game was not gender-biased, they'd do what Taito did with Cooking Mama 2 on the Wii: give Science Papa a daughter who he's teaching all this to, like Mama was teaching a young boy in the Wii sequel.

Agreed.  That would eliminate the obvious sexism and allow us to just focus on the rampant plagiarism in the concept.  I didn't mind the Mama series till they stepped over that invisible line with the babysitting entry.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2009, 04:55:17 PM »
AFAIK, no Babysitting Mama game has been announced, only a trademark filed. Companies file trademark applications all the time, they don't always end up using them (remember Square Enix registering "Chrono Break" long ago?). You can't judge a game that doesn't even exist.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2009, 04:55:35 PM »
Maybe its just me, but what is exactly wrong with a babysitting game? Yes, it might reek of sexism in some ways, but not only is "playing house" a favorite among girls there's the need for people to teach girls the responsibilities of raising a baby before they decide to get knocked up at 16. Many schools are giving both girls and boys a baby to raise as assignments.

I think there's such a huge stink over gender roles that more damage is being done that good. Yes, boys are capable of doing girl thinks and girls can do whatever boys do. But if a girl likes playing Barbie and a boy likes to watch Wrestling and play videogames why should we stop them?

Parents should allow kids to choose what they like as long as they teach them the important things. Many girls who collected Barbies like crazy grow up to be the best teachers. Boys who liked mud grow up to become master surgeons. The key here is that we allow kids to choose what they like and what they want to be while teaching them the important lessons.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2009, 04:59:46 PM »
Maybe its just me, but what is exactly wrong with a babysitting game? Yes, it might reek of sexism in some ways, but not only is "playing house" a favorite among girls there's the need for people to teach girls the responsibilities of raising a baby before they decide to get knocked up at 16. Many schools are giving both girls and boys a baby to raise as assignments.

I think there's such a huge stink over gender roles that more damage is being done that good. Yes, boys are capable of doing girl thinks and girls can do whatever boys do. But if a girl likes playing Barbie and a boy likes to watch Wrestling and play videogames why should we stop them?

Parents should allow kids to choose what they like as long as they teach them the important things. Many girls who collected Barbies like crazy grow up to be the best teachers. Boys who liked mud grow up to become master surgeons. The key here is that we allow kids to choose what they like and what they want to be while teaching them the important lessons.

See, I think we essentially agree on this.  My problem with the Mama series is just seeing this continuing trend.  I wouldn't mind a Babysitting game; I wouldn't mind a Cooking game; and I wouldn't mind a Gardening game.  But you put all these games starring women performing stereotypical roles, and a pattern emerges that's kind of troubling, especially when you have a competiting company putting out a copycat that plays to the opposite spectrum.  So long as choice is always emphasized, I don't have a problem with this.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2009, 07:01:40 PM »
Unless you have a babysitting game with DLC of code for new "baby variants" such as always crying regardless what you do, then the game will have no point to me. You won't learn anything.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2009, 10:05:13 PM »
You guys are so crazy, I can't wait for the competitive sequels:
Pregnant Stay At Home Mama vs Gotta Bring Home Tha Chedda Papa

which is not to be confused with:
Workaholic Single Mama vs Deadbeat Non-Existant Papa

it goes both ways.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2009, 11:41:14 PM »
I'm curious what GP has to say about this. KNOW YOUR ROLE.

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2009, 11:47:56 PM »
Obligatory VGCats

LOL. That was funny but really sad. I felt sorry for Mama.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2009, 12:20:11 AM »
It does seem strange to attach the word "Papa" to this. Isn't there any non-gender-specific title they could have come up with? Although I suppose anything with the word "science" in it is going to sound boring...

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2009, 12:25:15 AM »
It does seem strange to attach the word "Papa" to this. Isn't there any non-gender-specific title they could have come up with? Although I suppose anything with the word "science" in it is going to sound boring...

They could always go the WiiWare route and mash together 2 or 3 words that have nothing to do with each other, like "Science Party Smash!"