Author Topic: Sony's secret weapon is PS3 Slim... Jim?  (Read 38327 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Sony's secret weapon is PS3 Slim... Jim?
« on: May 14, 2009, 02:22:09 PM »
Quote from: stolen directly from Wollan @ NeoGAF

Other:

Original 60GB PS3 Motherboard, 180watt versus current 80GB, 110watt (which has 65nm CPU/GPU):

The standard workstations:

Thanks to west and iceatcs for angling the image correctly, the system is almost quadratic:

So:

1. Convincing, professional chassis mold
2. Logo changed from PLAYSTATION 3 to PS3 which is logical, not proof for/against though
3. Packaging image is not shopped (though the pack itself might be custom made)
4. IBM have had the 45nm Cell in production (since mid 2008 I believe?), we all know the story about the general downsizing of PS3 components and lower power needs
5. Pink/green work stations! (same as background)
6. Sony shipped 10m PS3's in fiscal year 07 and 08 each, they are now saying 13m for 09.
7. Maintek Computer located in Suzhou, China, manufactures PS3s. They brought down the thread (Chinese) that was hosting these images with cease and desist.
they are saying that it could use the laptop slot loading Blu-ray drive, external power supply & probably launch around X-mas for $399 US Dollars

would you buy one?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 03:35:31 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Re: Sony's secret weapon is PS3 Slim... Jim?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 02:28:29 PM »
LOL doesn't sound useful to me, tho I can't see the pictures from work.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 02:43:32 PM »
it looks to be about 33% smaller from the motherboard comparison thanks to die shrinks (assuming the thing is real).

3509 : Alex_Hsieh [url] : 2009/05/14(木) 19:06:22 ID: - | EDIT
We would like to ask you kindly remove the following pages of your pages on your website because the page contains MainTeK Computer Incorporation confidential document and photos, which were illegally released and posted on your website.
thats from the site that originally posted the pics, which are no longer up on his site.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 02:51:33 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 03:39:12 PM »
I already have a PS3, so even if this is real (there have been convincing looking fakes for systems before) I won't be getting it.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 03:41:53 PM »
Isn't that cute. I wonder what features Sony will rip out next with this.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 03:42:21 PM »
And yet, the controller remains unaffected.  The Playstation controller is the horseshoe crab of interactivity.
Not just flowers,I love them all like weeds and     veget
able.

I want to do garden forever.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 03:48:45 PM »
And yet, the controller remains unaffected.  The Playstation controller is the horseshoe crab of interactivity.
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=214873
A story about this redesign & a link to the new motion controller rumors for PS3 & 360

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 03:49:27 PM »
Looks fake.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 03:54:15 PM »
Looks fake.

I think constantly happy dancing pandas look fake!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 04:45:29 PM »

I don't like the Playstation controller much at all but realistically how could they change the controller in the middle of a generation?  I guess they could make some minor changes but the general design has to remain the same.  Though they definitely should redesign the controller for next gen.

All I care about is the price.  Sony just never gets this.  A niftier looking PS3 won't interest me unless it costs me less to buy it.  They've done the same thing with the existing models.  They don't lower the price they just give me a bigger hard drive.  I DON'T WANT A BIGGER HARD DRIVE I WANT A CHEAPER PS3!  So if this is just "now for the same money it's slimmer!!" then, yeah, **** off.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 04:51:10 PM »
I don't like the Playstation controller much at all but realistically how could they change the controller in the middle of a generation?

Are you kidding?  They've already changed the controller once this generation.  They changed it twice during the original Playstation era!
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 05:08:55 PM »
I don't like the Playstation controller much at all but realistically how could they change the controller in the middle of a generation?

Are you kidding?  They've already changed the controller once this generation.  They changed it twice during the original Playstation era!

Not to mention MS changed their controller for the original mid generation. Oh yeah ALSO Sony changed the PS1 controller during mid generation as well. It really is not something new.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 05:09:35 PM »
All I care about is the price.  Sony just never gets this.  A niftier looking PS3 won't interest me unless it costs me less to buy it.  They've done the same thing with the existing models.  They don't lower the price they just give me a bigger hard drive.  I DON'T WANT A BIGGER HARD DRIVE I WANT A CHEAPER PS3!  So if this is just "now for the same money it's slimmer!!" then, yeah, **** off.
I'm sure they would discount the old PS3 to empty out stock. so you can buy your PS3 Phat and continue to be unsatisfied(?)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 05:18:37 PM »
It would not surprise me if this turns out to be true.
I'm still as indifferent as ever about the PS3.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 05:20:21 PM »
Not to mention MS changed their controller for the original mid generation. Oh yeah ALSO Sony changed the PS1 controller during mid generation as well. It really is not something new.

The Xbox controller redesign fits into Ian's "minor changes" clause.

However, adding rumble and/or analog sticks does not.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 06:36:40 PM »

Adding rumble does not count as changing the controller (as the controller is still the same).

They only change it once with the PS1, when they add the analog sticks. That was only 1 year into the systems lifespan though and for quite some time games were required to support controllers without the analog sticks.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 06:48:20 PM »

Adding rumble does not count as changing the controller (as the controller is still the same).

They only change it once with the PS1, when they add the analog sticks. That was only 1 year into the systems lifespan though and for quite some time games were required to support controllers without the analog sticks.

But it got to the point where you had to. Also it still was changed a year into the systems lifespan, that still is significant and the point was that it isn't unheard of to make changes to the controller after it has launched and has been out. Not how long it has been out.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 07:32:18 PM »
Sony has changed the controller significantly once but it's still rare enough occurance that to expect a console maker to do it is unrealistic.  I don't think it's fair to crap on Sony for not changing the controller with this console redesign.

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 08:08:39 PM »
Well, if it is true, at least the Spiderman font is gone. On the box shot in the red label it says 120GB/ something something. It looks like GD to me, does anyone know what that is / means?

The PS controller needs more shapely / ergonomic handles (this could happen mid gen) and a switched dpad and analog. I also prefer the bumpers on the 360 compared to the two pairs of identical shoulder buttons, mainly because don't like using my middle fingers on L2 and R2.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 08:26:59 PM »
it says 120GB/GO

GB (Gigabyte) is common term / GO (Gigaocetet) french, because they refuse to conform.

Makes it seem like that particular box is meant for maybe Canada where they speak both english and french

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2009, 08:32:23 PM »
Ah interesting, thanks BnM
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2009, 09:05:43 PM »
Makes it seem like that particular box is meant for maybe Canada where they speak both english and french

It's standard for all PS3 boxes (at least in North America). I live in the US and got my PS3 in November at Best Buy and it says 80GB/80 Go. It saves them money by making one box for all of the US and Canada rather than 1 for the US and most of Canada and a seperate one for Quebec. It's the reason that all of Nintendo's games now have their boxes in 3 languages (English/Spanish/French). This allows them to send the same box to all of North America rather than create separate ones.

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 09:38:49 PM »
This probably won't be able to play PS3 games.
Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2009, 09:42:40 PM »
can't wait to see what features they drop

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2009, 10:04:10 PM »
now thats a huge improvement over the ps3 of now. E3 is going to be exciting