Author Topic: Batman Arkham Asylum  (Read 30646 times)

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
Batman Arkham Asylum
« on: August 15, 2008, 01:07:35 PM »
Ever since the first time I played Goldeneye, I have imagined other properties being given a similar treatment. Being a comic geek for a big portion of my life, one of my fantasies was for the Arkham Asylum graphic novel to be turned into a game. Its the stuff dreams are made of.

Just recently a game was announced with Arkham Asylum in the title. But its of no relation to the Grant Morrison/Dave McKean classic story.

Pictures have been leaked on the net, with Kotaku being one place to see them. People are saying that it looks like Chronicles of Riddick but with Batman, and I tend to agree. The images of the Joker are great. Batman, I don't know. I'd love to see the little curls on the shoulders like how Dave did them. Batman's suit looks a bit like the tech suit in Mortal Combat. In fact, the first shot I saw I thought someone photoshopped Batman from MK:DC into an old promo of Riddick.

Right now I don't know if I should be excited for the game or not. I'm pretty pleased with the look of the game, but until gameplay impressions come out I'm holding onto the hype.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Batman Arkham Asylum
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 01:30:34 PM »
I may finally have go 360 or PS3 to play this game.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 04:05:05 PM »
Anything called "Arkham Asylum" should be Lovecraftian in nature. Why there aren't more games based on the Cthulhu Mythos is beyond me...
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 04:14:13 PM »
Cuz the ones that tried didn't sell.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 04:25:54 PM »
Anything called "Arkham Asylum" should be Lovecraftian in nature. Why there aren't more games based on the Cthulhu Mythos is beyond me...

Because when you make a game based on things that make people go insane just by looking at them, there's no way to make it live up to expectations.
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 04:43:11 PM »
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth worked out pretty well. It should have had more survival horror elements to it however, like it looked to have in the beginning. The recreation of Innsmouth was certainly impressive if nothing else.

Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem is pretty much a Mythos game as well and it was one of the best consoles games of last generation.

They can (and do) work, it's just no one wants to do them because it involves some effort. If it's not rehashed **** like Halo, no one cares. Top that with it being based around literature (from the turn of the century!) and people are even more quickly turned off.

Hastur... Hastur... Hastu--
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 04:45:08 PM by Morari »
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 04:42:58 AM »
Sklens is totally hating on this game, but I've got hope for it. Go Batman!
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 05:00:21 AM »
Sklens is the Original Trolling One. I snagged the magazine when I was visiting my cousin tonight. The art style seems a little Gears of War for Batman, but I'm liking the concepts.

Offline Smakian

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Twitter Feed
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 06:59:05 AM »
Much as I hate to say it, there is a long and proud tradition of Batman games not being very good. Now, this one -looks- fantastic. And I want to like it. But, I could have said that about other ones, too. So I can't say I'm optimistic.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Mine are just the correct ones.

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2008, 01:14:06 PM »
Cuz the ones that tried didn't sell.

Eternal Darkness... :(
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2008, 04:23:49 AM »
This game looks amaaaaaaaazing.
-Travis Touchdown

Offline redgiemental

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 06:36:43 AM »
Graphics look good. Need to see some gameplay videos before I get too excited though.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 08:23:47 AM »
If this game isn't good it will be a huge disappointment so the pressure is on.  Everyone expect movie tied games to suck, but games like this SHOULD BE BETTER.
Hulk Ultimate Destruction is a great game  so I hope its similar to that in bringing comic book characters into a worth while videogame.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 01:07:17 AM »
I haven't really been following the game but after watching the new trailers it looks FANTASTIC. Not to mention I felt instantly in love with it when I heard Kevin Conroy's voice as Batman, not only that but Mark Hamil is coming back as the joker!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 02:08:59 AM »
Wow, you really HAVEN'T been following it, huh? Also Arleen Sorkin as Harley Quinn.
-Travis Touchdown

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 02:10:42 AM »
Wow, you really HAVEN'T been following it, huh? Also Arleen Sorkin as Harley Quinn.

No. Doesn't look like many have been following it here either since the last post was in August! Can't really explain why I haven't paid much attention, just one of those things.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 04:58:14 AM »
It happens. I've been following it, it's just I never thought to look for a thread. It looks pretty awesome.
-Travis Touchdown

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 12:15:36 PM »
What impressed me was how smooth the fighting looks, most Superhero games the fighting system is really choppy and limited but this game actually seems so seemless and "realistic" in how Batman fights.

Offline Dirk Temporo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 04:24:04 PM »
It's because he's the goddamn Batman.
-Travis Touchdown

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2009, 05:00:19 PM »
The game has been delayed. A few months? Next year? Perfect Dark? Oh well, now it won't interfere with The Conduit.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2009, 06:42:11 PM »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I'm mad. It is one of the few games of this year for the HD consoles that I want, like really want. Oh well. I will play other stuff until then.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2009, 12:32:02 PM »
What is your source for it being delayed?

If that is true, I would be OK with it ONLY if they make Joker playable in the Xbox 360. It's pure BS if the PlayStation 3 version is the only one that lets you play as Joker. I don't want the PS3 version of any multiplatform game, but I want to play as Joker.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2009, 01:40:27 PM »
I'm not really all that upset about the delay.  Ghostbusters and The Conduit are more than enough for me to digest in June.
Not just flowers,I love them all like weeds and     veget
able.

I want to do garden forever.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2009, 03:50:44 AM »
I'm not really all that upset about the delay.  Ghostbusters and The Conduit are more than enough for me to digest in June.

Indeed.  Even with the entertaining Batman: Vengeance on the GC, Batman games have always been very troubled and often crap.  I'm willing to wait a few months if it means this development team is going to get it right the first time.  No patches...no retooled re-releases...just done right.  In the meantime, I still have Ghostbusters on the horizon as well as catalog titles I still need to play and complete like RE5; LittleBigPlanet; and Eternal Sonata.  Hell, sometime in the near future I want to replay Dead Space.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2009, 09:27:14 PM »
I AM THE NIGHT BUMP

I tried the combat challenge demo of this game the other night. FANTASTIC. I was really suprised how much I like it. The graphics weren't as image comics style as I feared, and the animations were extremely good. Go try it out at the Gamestop PS3 kiosk.

I got to level 4 on hard with a broken controller.