Gaming Forums > General Gaming

Digital games and you

<< < (3/3)

Order.RSS:
Kind of a mix. Sometimes I get (used) physical copies because they're cheaper, other times I'm willing to spend more for the convenience of a digital install. Particularly on Switch I agree with Insano:

--- Quote from: NWR_insanolord on February 27, 2022, 09:03:35 PM ---For me, it's a matter of convenience. Especially on something like Switch, it's so nice to be able to pick up the system and immediately have access to my entire library. With games being so dependent on patches these days owning the physical media isn't really going to be better if the servers get shut down, and storage is still a significant concern because of that as well, so I really don't see that many advantages of physical anymore.

--- End quote ---

I do still see some advantages, particularly when it comes to the aftermarket of EOL devices. But it also stinks to go on a long trip and forget your cartridge or wanting to swap one out.
(This is envisioning a theoretical reality in which I get to take long trips, of course.)

BeautifulShy:
How do you feel about digital games?

I don't mind digital as long as one is able to have them on the console forever and also make it easy enough to redownload if something happens to the hardware. 

Do you own any digital games?

I own some.  I started with digital games on the Wii through the Wii Shop Channel and Wii Ware games and I mainly got more into the Wiiware games because of the originality of the software.  Today with the Switch it is more of a matter of what I can carry around with me in the Switch case so I have some digital games and some physical games.   Also I have so many digital demos on my Switch it feels like I have a larger collection of Switch games than I would have otherwise.

Do you still buy physical games?

Yep I prefer physical games just so I have something I can grasp in my hand and just in case like with the 3DS and Wii U eshops closing and I can't  download them in time then I would go with physical.

What factors into your decision?

I kinda explained a little but convience and portability plays a part with what I obtain depending on what is going on in my life.

Is streaming an option for you?

Generally speaking when I stream it is typically PC games but probably for the next Nintendo console that would be a consideration since it can be fun to play with friends watching Nintendo exclusive games.

broodwars:
1. How do you feel about digital games?

I feel like they're a great option to have available, but I don't trust any of our digital storefronts, mainly because none of them have earned that trust. I feel like if digital storefronts are going to be taking our money, they should be obligated to keep those purchases available in perpetuity across all iterations of that service. So far, really only Steam or GoG have managed something like that, and I don't PC game these days so that doesn't really interest me.

2. Do you own any digital games?

No, and neither do you, in the legal sense. That's kind of the problem for me. I have digital games, certainly. Lots of them, actually, but I don't feel any sense of ownership when any company could pull their games from your hard drive at any time for any reason.

3. Do you still buy physical games?

Absolutely. If a game comes out that I'm interested in, I grab the physical version if possible. Yes, even if it means having to wait a few months. I like my physical copies, and I like my Steelbooks + physical CD soundtracks if possible.

4. What factors into your decision?

Price is a major factor, as is the availability of certain perks such as a physical soundtrack, steelbook case, etc. To me, if you're charging more than, say...$30 for a game, you should have a physical release. If I'm going to make the commitment with you to shell out that kind of money, I want something I actually own. It's also helpful if it's a game I either don't think I would play again or am not sure I'm going to like, since refunds aren't really a "thing" with console gaming like they are with Steam and trade-ins with physical games are still an option.

If there are no big physical perks and the price is low, then I consider that acceptable trade-off for leaving my gaming experience to the whims of publishers and service providers.

5. Is streaming an option for you?

No, not really. My home internet's alright, but it's not stable. I get "lost internet connection" notices all the time while playing my games. Thankfully, I tend to avoid online/"live service" games like the plague they are, so most of the time my games are unaffected. I can't imagine trying to play a major game streaming-only like this, nor wanting to play something with that level of input lag.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version