Author Topic: Wii U External USB Storage Devices  (Read 18821 times)

Offline Seacor

• Score: 20
    • View Profile
Wii U External USB Storage Devices
« on: May 22, 2013, 08:32:42 PM »
Please post your experience with a Wii U external USB storage device.  Did you choose a drive have a dedicated power source (AC adapter) or is it USB powered (with y-cable).  Does it work?  Did you get rid of it and purchase another one?  I'll keep this post updated as long as people want to take the time and share their experiences to help the community.  Please share!

In general, installation of a USB device is seamless.  Plug the USB cable to the Wii U, power on the drive, and turn on the Wii U.  The Wii U will recognize the drive and prompt to format it.  Format just takes a few seconds and once it is done, it's ready for use.

eShop downloads will go directly to the USB drive.  Transferring previously downloaded software from the Wii U memory to the USB drive is very easy.  All associated files transfer over (Software, Save Data, Update data (DLC)).

When you power on and off the Wii U, the drive also powers on and off automatically.

The following USB storage devices are owned and recommended by NWR members:

Seagate Backup Plus Desktop Drive (1 TB) - Model STCA1000100  (dedicated power source) (2 TB capacity also available)
Owned and Recommended by: Seacor, Racht

There have been no reports of decreased software performance or any increase in load times.

The drive is about the same height and less than half the length of the Wii U console.

Pics of the Seagate Backup Plus Desktop Drive (Seacor)

Helpful Links:
Nintendo FAQs
External USB Storage Devices That Have Been Tested by Nintendo To Work with Wii U
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 02:22:10 PM by Seacor »
"Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die."

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Wii U External USB Storage Devices
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 08:39:09 PM »
I think I'll be checking this thread somewhat frequently as I'm looking to buy a hard drive for my Wii U sooner than later. (gotta make use of that DDP)
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 09:46:29 PM »
Thanks for the info about the Seagate drive, Seacor. I recently did a quick internet search for the highest rated external hard drives which were also compatible with the Wii U, and the Seagate was rated the best. I'm glad to see that you're experience was terrific. I'll grab one of these as soon as it becomes necessary.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 09:53:47 PM »
I'm going to need one of these this year. Apparently the Xone will need an external hard drive as well.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 10:08:53 PM »
I'm going to need one of these this year. Apparently the Xone will need an external hard drive as well.

Why would it need one? It comes with a 500 GB hard drive, which is plenty unless you plan to have dozens and dozens of games.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 10:40:50 PM »
Dual layer Blu-Rays can run 50 GB.  Set aside the amount of hard drive space that you can't use for anything, reserved for O/S, and anything used for other downloads, you could easily fill that up with a dozen games.

Wii U has "no games" and I have four games for it in seven months.

Mandatory installs could easily fill a 500GB drive up.  Even more so with FMV, HD, Bloatware titles.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 10:43:37 PM »
Seacor!

This is the same HD I've had since launch, and it's never given me any problems either. Absolutely fantastic HD, guys. Do pick one up, if needed.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 10:44:57 PM »
but who says the game uses the full 50gb?

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 02:10:10 AM »
but who says the game uses the full 50gb?

Do you own a PS3? That **** installs games at an average of about 6GB. COnsidering the next gen has much larger games, we're looking maybe double that. On top of all the other media one might want on the system, having a hard drive that cannot be switched out or changed is a fucking travesty.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 02:21:41 AM »
Where do you see an AVERAGE of 6GB? Even Metal Gear Solid 4, which used a full 50GB disc (though that was largely due to Kojima using so much uncompressed video and audio) only had a 4GB install size. Other than MMOs (which are understandably large), Rage is the only PS3 game with a install size larger than 5GB (at 7.3GB). Not sure if it was official policy, but I saw on NeoGAF that Sony used to have a policy that install sizes for non-MMOs couldn't be larger than 5GB (which makes sense because I have yet to find any game larger than that). MGS4 dealt with this by overwriting the data as you progressed in the game.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 02:50:15 AM »
Not just game installs, bro. Game data and game saves factor into this. Take a look at your Game Data screen on the XMB sometime.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 03:09:35 AM »
You specifically said game installs, so I replied about game installs. I am aware it can get larger with stuff like save data and stuff like that, but that is not what you said. Actual game install size is well below the 6GB number you said.

And I don't play many games on my PS3 (the DualShock controller has always sucked), I mainly use it as a Blu-ray Disc player. I usually play games on the vastly superior Xbox 360 (or Wii if a game is Wii exclusive).

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2013, 07:44:27 AM »
Im saying that many games on all systems don't use the  full cartridge/disc space. although i haven't had enough experience with the PS3/360 to say

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 08:12:18 AM »
From what I've read you need to install the entire game on Xbox One - MGS4 is about 33GB, the PS3 game install does not copy the entire disc to the HDD. Install sizes on PS3 in general have absolutely nothing to do with the actual size of everything on the disc. When you have to install the entire game (you do not need to use the disc after you install on Xbox One), then 500GB will disappear relatively quickly.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 09:07:44 AM »
From what I've read you need to install the entire game on Xbox One - MGS4 is about 33GB, the PS3 game install does not copy the entire disc to the HDD. Install sizes on PS3 in general have absolutely nothing to do with the actual size of everything on the disc. When you have to install the entire game (you do not need to use the disc after you install on Xbox One), then 500GB will disappear relatively quickly.
This.  All of this.  There will be no tricks like installing 5GB and overriding as you go - the whole XBO deal is that you install, then don't need the disc.  So, it's going to have to install EVERYTHING.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 09:10:36 AM by UncleBob »
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 10:57:24 AM »
Yay! Thanks for making this thread, I've been thinking about one of these for a long time now. I am just so sick of getting up and switching out discs.

I think I'm going to get the one Seacor is talking about. With Pikmin, W101 and the Mario's coming out this year I know I won't finish them all before the other comes out so this is what I need.

I know its not the thread for it, but does anyone have a wired connection on their Wii U with an Ethernet to USB cable converter?
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2013, 11:58:39 AM »
I've got the official LAN adapter... gets the job done.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2013, 09:13:28 PM »
I've got the official LAN adapter... gets the job done.

Wait there is an official LAN adapter? LAN adapters are basicAlly what I'm looking for right?

RomanceDawn

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2013, 09:15:44 PM »

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2013, 09:22:03 PM »
Here.

Oh that's so great! Thanks! By the time Smash comes out I'll have this LAN adapter and that storage device Seacor mentioned.

Only thing is my computer and modem and all that is in a different room from the Wii U. I don't see how I'll connect them without running wires in really inconvenient places.

RomanceDawn

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2013, 09:34:03 PM »
Hey Seacor I'm about to order the recommended hard drive now. Anything I should consider before I commit to buy?

RomanceDawn

Offline Seacor

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2013, 01:30:22 AM »
Hey Cater.  I have yet to hear any experiences with other storage devices.  My drive is still working great and I would still recommend it.  Let me know when you get it.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 01:34:32 AM by Seacor »

Offline Nemo

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2013, 03:28:17 AM »
I'm down to about 300 MB on my white Wii U, so I ordered the Seagate Expansion 2 TB USB 3.0 Desktop External Hard Drive STBV2000100.

2GB is currently the max that Wii U supports, and it was only $16 more than the 1TB version. Currently on sale for 89.99. Also, rated 4.2 out of 5 stars, best rated hard drive currently listed on Nintendo's list of approved & tested HDDs.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-Desktop-External-STBV2000100/dp/B00834SJS0
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline Seacor

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 02:28:04 PM »
Thanks Nemo.  Post back when you receive the drive, hook it up, and test it out.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 02:41:56 PM by Seacor »

Offline smallsharkbigbite

• Score: -7
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2013, 06:17:36 PM »
Just for fun, I decided to install a 32 gig USB that I had laying around.  On the Wii, there was a separate menu to launch from the SD card and you had what seemed like infinite slots to install games on. 

It appears with the Wii U, that it just thinks the 32 gig is part of the internal memory.  I downloaded a game and it installed a game and it automatically installed to the external USB card and just included the game on the standard menu.  Is it this way with hard drive folks?  Does this mean that you are limited with the number of games that you can install to 6x15 slots (90)?  Not that I plan on filling that many up, but with demo's, apps, etc, I just thought that was odd to limit it. 

Plus, I'm kind of anal.  Back when I was a heavy user of VC, I would have have a page for NES, a page for SNES, etc. even if I didn't have all of the pages filled.  My Wii U has the game channel, installed games, and system tools on one page.  One page of demos, one page of apps, two pages of VC (NES, SNES), so in essence I feel I'm already using 5 of the 6 pages even if I never fill those pages up. 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 06:30:10 PM by smallsharkbigbite »