Author Topic: Smash Bros. Dojo Updates  (Read 2859 times)

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
Smash Bros. Dojo Updates
« on: July 06, 2007, 01:52:58 PM »
Some interesting stuff came out this week.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=13778

The official Smash Bros. blog released a few interesting pieces of information this week, most of which we reported on the day of.  We were also given a brand new stage to drool over today from one of the most memorable moments of Twilight Princess.    

Kirby found a trophy!New Item: Assist Trophy
As reported earlier, a brand new item (or items), was shown.  Similar to Pokeballs, players will be able to call on one of many characters to help them do battle.  In the introductory post, it was revealed that the Nintendog from last year's trailer actually originated form this item.  They also showed a Hammer Brother in a couple of the screen shots.

Crazy Samurai on the loose!New Assist Trophy: Samurai Goro
In a separate post, another brand new Assist Tropy character was revealed.  Samurai Goro from the F-Zero series will pop out of one of the trophy cases and slash at everything that moves (except for the person who got the item) while he runs across the stage.  He will be invincible, so it was noted that it is best just to run away.  He sounds like a combination of the Marill and Scizor Pokemon from Melee.

Fire BreathNew Character: Bowser
Another Melee combatant got some return confirmation this week as Bowser was officially announced.  The blog itself hinted that he will have a slightly different flavor (along with many of the other characters) but initial screenshots reveal an incredibly similar move set, as his fire breathing, slash, and shell spin all seem to be returning.  It will be interesting to see just what makes him feel different.    

Run Samus, run!New Final Smash: Bowser's Giga Bowser Transformation
Remember fighting Giga Bowser in Melee?  Well now you'll be able to fight as him as long as Bowser can find some of those Smash Balls.  From the sound of the post, Bowser will be virtually invincible and immeasurably strong while in Giga Bowser form.  It will only last a short time though.  I wonder if barrels and crates will ever contain more than one Smash Ball at the same time.  Three or four final smashes going on at once will be insane.    

Mario's Patented MoveGame Mechanics: Smash Attacks
Another announcement that we reported on earlier was the confirmation that the basic attack controls would remain nearly identical to what was used in Melee.  Smash attacks will be done the same way; by hammering the analog stick in a direction and pushing the attack button.  The only exception is when players use just the Wii remote, as there is no analog stick.  In that setup, players must push a direction as well as both the 1 and 2 buttons to achieve a similar result.  As brought up by our own Mike Sklens and discussed in the talkback thread for the earlier article, this seems to imply that some special attacks may no longer be affected by a smash like motion of the analog stick (Like Samus's missile in Melee).  This feature may be removed, changed, or maybe people who play with just the Wii remote won't be able to perform the move.  It's hard to say.    

Beautiful VistaNew Stage: Bridge of Eldin
We already know that both Link and Zelda will be taking on their appearance from Twilight Princess.  With today's announcement, it's obvious that the momentous game will show up in the Brawl even more.  Bridge of Eldin will be a stage that is strangely reminiscent of The Pit from Mortal Kombat.  It will be one single flat area for people to fight on.  At random times throughout a match, King Bulblin will arrive and wreak havoc.  How will players dodge him on such a skinny little bridge?  Who knows?  He will also use bombs to destroy the bridge, possibly completely separating different combatants.  Luckily Midna will be transporting new pieces in to fix it throughout the battle.    

That's it for this week's updates.  Stay tuned here for more announcement summaries every Friday as well as articles throughout the week on big items of interest.  Also, don't forget to check out the official blog yourself.

:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Shecky

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
RE:Smash Bros. Dojo Updates
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 02:56:30 PM »
"How will players dodge him on such a skinny little bridge? Who knows?"

I know... JUMP

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 03:02:32 PM »

Originally posted by: Shecky
"How will players dodge him on such a skinny little bridge? Who knows?"

I know... JUMP

Actually you call on your smash ship which will temporarily take you from the battle arena.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
    • View Profile
RE: Smash Bros. Dojo Updates
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 04:14:19 PM »
I hope we can attack him and knock him off the bridge.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 06:54:47 PM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
I hope we can attack him and knock him off the bridge.

That would be pretty neat, personally I hope Smash Bros. takes a little from Power Stone 2 and throws different things at you as you fight, including a changing arena.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 07:26:26 PM »
Changing arena... Like Pokemon Stadium?

And who is King Bulblin?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 08:47:37 PM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Changing arena... Like Pokemon Stadium?

And who is King Bulblin?

Well I was thinking more like Power Stone where your whole enviroment changes as the match progresses, like one section of the arena you are fighting on speed boats, and after awhile you progress to the point where you are fighting in a town setting.  

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 09:20:01 PM »
king Bulblin is a huge giblin/moblin like guy who rides a boar and has viking taste
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline LuigiHann

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2007, 09:31:05 PM »

And who is King Bulblin?

HE'S THE GUY IN THE PICTURE THAT SAYS "RUN! IT'S KING BULBLIN!"

SERIOUSLY

*the one that isn't Kirby or Samus  

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2007, 03:16:47 AM »
...and Lord Bullbo is the boar he rides.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2007, 09:12:04 AM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix

Well I was thinking more like Power Stone where your whole enviroment changes as the match progresses, like one section of the arena you are fighting on speed boats, and after awhile you progress to the point where you are fighting in a town setting.

So, like Rainbow Cruise?
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Shecky

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2007, 12:06:16 PM »
Or the pokemon floats....  

Offline UniversalJuan

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2007, 04:27:02 PM »
Big Blue much?
They gave a war, nobody came, imagine all the fuss. They'd have to send themselves instead of...sending us. Yeah (People of the Generation - by Scatman John)

Originally posted by: Luigi Dude
The greatest game of all time is Super Smash Bros Brawl.  It