Author Topic: Super Mario 3D All Stars: Yea or Nay? (And other Nintendo ports)  (Read 11871 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Super Mario 3D All Stars: Yea or Nay? (And other Nintendo ports)
« on: September 04, 2020, 03:56:19 PM »
So I was all on the train for 3D All Stars and pre-ordered, but the morning after I'm feeling some doubts. I realize I have access to all of these on the original systems easily. Also, it looks like these are only marginally upscaled ports, so I'm wondering if it would even be a good deal as a convenience charge to play on a current system.

Has the de-compiled Mario 64 project spoiled me? That offers 60fps 4k with boosted asset, and modders are quickly adding the extra content from the DS version.

Especially with the "All Stars" moniker, it got me thinking about the one that is free on the SNES Online app. That one was a collection of  4 (5 if you could the Mario World combo) games, and all of them received upgraded assets and other improvements.

Feels like we should be getting more bang for our buck at $60. If they didn't want to go through the effort of adding the Mario 64 DS features to the original, they could have thrown in the Wii U DS version as a bonus. And the omision of Galaxy 2 was pretty big. Are there any other games that could have fit in there (that weren't ported separately).

What are your thoughts on it? Are you buying all of the Nintendo up-ports? I've bought a few of the ports (Lego City Undercover, Hyrule Warriors, Mario Kart, and Captain Toad come to mind) but I've been (and will be) holding off on some of the other ports in the hopes of a better deal (NSMBU, SM3DW, Pikmin 3). I've also double dipped on occasion (Mario Kart, Lego City, Hyrule Warriors).

As it stands I may cancel my pre-order since that is now possible. Only thing I'd miss out on is probably the exclusive pin set.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario 3D All Stars: Yea or Nay? (And other Nintendo ports)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 04:59:11 PM »
For $60, Super Mario 3D All-Stars is a pretty weak collection. With Galaxy 2 and the minimal improvements, it should have been $40, maybe $50 for the Nintendo Tax®. The existence of the original Super Mario All-Stars makes Super Mario 3D All-Stars harder to accept as is. Granted, 3D games are a lot more complex than 2D games. I think Nintendo could have done better. Overall, it just seems like a minimal effort release that feels more Super Mario All-Stars 25th Anniversary Edition ROM-dump than the SNES original.

To the general public, 🤷‍♀️. Super Mario 3D All-Stars is going to sell-out and be a scalper's wet dream for the next forever. Here's what I would have wanted:
  • Remake Super Mario 64 AND 64 DS (straight up graphics update; 16:9, 60 FPS)
  • Include Super Mario 64 and 64 DS (with the collection's current updates)
  • Fix Super Mario Sunshine's jank (with the collection's current updates)
  • Super Mario Galaxy as-is in the collection
  • Include Super Mario Galaxy 2 (with the collection's Super Mario Galaxy updates)
  • MSRP: $59.99
  • Only the collection is a limited time offer (which includes the soundtracks); each game/version can be purchased individually.

That said, I have the collection pre-ordered. I haven't bought all the Wii U ports, only Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (both double dips). I would have bought Bayonetta 1 and 2 if Nintendo didn't pull that split cart/digital download nonsense.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 05:03:36 PM »
I rarely double dip on games. Ironically, I was willing to jump on on the VC this generation so as to probably sell off some of my older consoles and just have easier access to games by having many tied to one system but then the VC died. However, with 3DS, Wii U and Switch still being easily accessed by me and set-up, I can probably manage something with titles split across those three. Plus, I got the SNES Mini and that allowed me to load up the system with most titles I'd want and no longer have to worry about carts or batteries dying in them.

Still, I've digressed like usual. The main point still stands that I've very rarely ever double dipped on titles because it doesn't make sense to me to buy a game I already own instead of something new that I've never played unless there is significant factors to make the purchase stand out from the original. I've got multiple games in my library but most of them came that way be being free or being very cheap. For instance, I have three copies of Metroid Fusion. The first I bought was the GBA copy since I had a DS and could now play GBA games. I later got a free version on my 3DS from the Ambassador program and another free version on the Wii U because of some kind of promotion or Club Nintendo thing. In the case of the SNES mini, buying that was sort of like rebuying those games but the price proposition was worth it plus the improvements like the rewind feature and being able to add more to the library.

One of the first games I double-dipped on was Kirby Super Star Ultra for DS. While it added some extra things, I don't find any of them better or of added value from the original base game. Likewise, I later got a copy of DKCR for 3DS for a pretty low price. I had liked the title quite a bit when playing it on the Wii and was curious how it handle without motion controls and what the extra added levels were like. Ultimately, the extra levels were pretty forgettable but I did like playing it without motion controls although it lost a bit in the visuals compared to the console version. Thus it was a mixed bag. With the deal I got on my Switch, it meant that MK8 Deluxe was only $30 which is a pretty good price for a game I wasn't really interested in getting again after having it for the Wii U. Truth be told, I've hardly touched it much on Switch aside from when some people have come over and we might play a few rounds. When thinking of double-dipping, these are the titles that come to my mind first.

From my experience, I've found that double-dipping has rarely been worth it. Even when I've been able to get a title on the lower end of the price scale, I'm still not sure if I overpaid. Going back to Metroid Fusion, I played it multiple times on my GBA copy, I played it once on the Ambassador program and I barely touched it on my Wii U. I think it would be the same with the 3D All-Stars. I could see myself playing through all the games again once but I'm not sure I'd touch it anytime soon after that. In which case, I could go and play the versions I already own instead if I really want one more round of these games. Since the additions to these games are kind of minimal to change the experience from the original, I've been pretty much leaning in the pass category. I'm already not a fan of G1 and I don't think playing it again on Switch is going to change my mind. While I still enjoy 64, I'm not feeling any desire to play it again right away. While Sunshine is my jam and the biggest thing tugging my towards a purchase of this title, my GC is still hooked up to my TV and sound system ready to play and now has the official component cables. I popped the game in for a quick spin last winter to see what it looks like. Not much change but ended up going to Sirena Beach as I often do when messing around with the game. Collected all the coins I could on the beach and then fought the Manta Ray beating it in one go. Still got them Sunshine skills. Remembering that has further helped me fight the gaming nostalgia Nintendo may be preying on for getting people to jump on this title.

Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2020, 06:13:44 PM »
My general feeling is that collections like this or special editions and such are great for newcomers.  But if I bought a game at the time, I don't buy an updated version later on unless it's a major overhaul like Metroid: Zero Mission.  I have bought arcade compilations that had games I already owned in it and I bought a lot of the recent mini consoles but each time there was some game in there that I didn't have so the redundant titles were more extras.  I've actually done the opposite where I bought some retro collection and then ended up getting the original release later.

I want people to have access to classic games and you shouldn't have to own a bunch of old systems and hunt down an out-of-print game to do it.  When records went to CDs or VHS went to DVDs you could get the noteworthy albums and movies in the new format quite easily.  I understand with software it is not as easy to do that since everything relies on the hardware it was designed for but with emulation and backwards compatibility I still think a much stronger effort can be made to always have the classics available for purchase.  There are always new kids becoming the age where they want to check out the games from before their time.

I don't have a problem with newcomers buying an old game on a new system.  I don't have much of a problem with someone buying a game they already owned at some point on a newer system so they don't have to keep old hardware hooked up, if the price is reasonable.  I've repurchased some old PC games from my youth where I don't know where the discs are and the game cost $5.  I didn't pay $60 for it.  I don't like people buying a game for the second time because Malibu Stacy has a new hat.  There is a deliberate strategy for companies to pad their release schedule with ports that have a bit of new content in it to get people to double-dip.  That's generally a rip-off and those with self-restraint get punished for it, because enough people do it that it encourages it.

Notice that you don't see as many retro compilations as you did during the PS2/Xbox/Cube era?  Notice that Nintendo has never had a VC as strong as the Wii one was?  Notice that backwards compatibility has disappeared?  That's because the buying behavior of people double-dipping has encouraged the market to push HD remasters.  The PS5 made a big stink about GTA 5 being on it.  If you want GTA 5 it's on tons of platforms brand new for like $20.  Yet, there will be people that buy a PS5 and the first game they get will be GTA 5, even though they already played it on the PS3 and/or PS4.  GTA 5 should be on any popular new system but it should be an afterthought.  Super Mario Bros should be on every Nintendo platform on day one but with no real fanfare to it, just there in case you've never played it and you should be able to.  But these re-releases shouldn't be filling gaps in the release schedule or being charged full price.  A Nintendo Direct focusing on re-releases is pretty damn absurd.

New games should be the focus, old games should be available at a lower price to be an accessible option for new players.

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2020, 06:23:18 PM »
Let's talk Switch Port City.

BotW - Wasn't my intention to buy it again but when I got my Switch it was part of the library that came with it. Got it for 50% of the price. Let someone else play it but I've hardly touched it after spending 400 hours on the Wii U version. Debate keeping it in my library or selling/trading it for something else.

MK8D - Part of my Switch purchase. Maybe 5 or 6 hours played. I do like the change in Battle Mode (although I was ok with the Wii U's take on it) and it is a popular title to play with other people so I'll probably keep it in my library but I still feel I overpaid for it at 50% off.

Pokken Tournament - Part of my Switch purchase. Never got it on Wii U so not a double dip. Have yet to still even try it.

Bayonetta 2 - Just not interested in this series.

DKC:TR - Have the Wii U version which I've still yet to play (though that will be changing very soon this month) and see no need to buy the Switch version also. Do not see myself ever acquiring this port.

Hyrule Warriors - Have the Wii U version and then bought the 3DS version because of a really good deal on Amazon one day. Started the Wii U version but never got back to it. Haven't opened the 3DS version. Absolutely not getting the Switch version. Paid enough already for a game I'm not playing.

Sushi Striker - I bought it on 3DS which is where it seemed to be the system it was designed for. Have yet to try it. Even with the Switch version getting highly discounted, not interested in double dipping for it here.

Captain Toad - Finally played my Wii U copy last year. It was a pleasant experience but not one so great that I feel the need to get the Switch copy for a few extra stages using Odyssey assets. Considering the stages that used 3D World assets, I don't feel I'm missing out on anything.

Lego City Undercover - Have it on Wii U. Haven't played it. Not going to get it for Switch when I can still play it on Wii U someday.

The World Ends With You - Horribly reviewed port and I never finished the original. Easy skip. No double dip.

Let's Go, Pikachu/Eevee - Essentially a sort of port of Red/Blue but with upgraded visuals and different catching mechanics. A more simplified / streamlined version of the game from my understanding. I actually have Pikachu. Got it for a low price but have yet to play it. Still have LeafGreen and FireRed to play. Still not sure if I want to keep this copy.

NSMBU Deluxe - Barely enjoyed it when I played my Wii U copy but Luigi U was lit but not enough to make me replay the original game or need a Switch version. Not double-dipping unless free.

Link's Awakening - I was weak and got the Collector's Edition. Visual upgrades with better control helped sell me on this port / remaster though I've yet to get to it as I play other Zelda titles I haven't gotten to before.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions - I got it for half off on Wii U and haven't played it. (Notice a trend with me and Wii U gaming?). I'll play it there with the GamePad instead as it was meant to be played! No double dip.

Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Works - Got the Collector's edition. Technically a triple dip as I had a 3DS and Wii copy already. Played this Switch version which is my first time playing it. Tried the 3DS version a bit to compare the two. Very glad I waited until Switch to play it but not sure it was worth the cost of buying the previous copy. Currently trying to sell off my Wii copy to recoup some cost since I see no need to play that version now. Worth double-dipping if you've played it before? Maybe. Definitely some improvements in control and graphics and managing the in-game systems. But no real changes to story although the Future Connected epilogue portion may help in giving a returning player something fresh. But it is a much shorter experience than the main game.

Pikmin 3 - No plans to double dip as I'd rather play it on Wii U with the gamepad.

Mario 3D All-Stars - Going to skip unless I can get it for a smoking deal.

3D World - Wasn't really as over-the-moon with this game. Like 3D Land and Galaxy 2 much more. Was going to skip until the addition of online co-op was mentioned. Currently see-sawing back and forth on this.

Are there other parts I'm not thinking of? Most likely. From my experience of the titles I've double dipped on is that double-dipping really isn't worth it. Even at a lower cost, the cost of the second copy combined with the first probably isn't worth the price for one title especially with how one is likely to play less of the second copy than the first. Law of Diminishing Returns may be in play. It seems a port is only worth it if you've never played it before and don't own a copy already. Double-dipping is great for a sudden nostalgic burst but it seems to fade just as quick.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2020, 07:20:25 PM »
I’ve double dipped a lot on Switch because portability is a huge selling point for me.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2020, 01:57:29 PM »
My stance is similar to Khushrenada's for a lot of these games, though I appear to have played more of them   8)
I find that for most ports from Wii U or 3DS I would rather play them on their original hardware. I think MK8 is the one exception which I find controls better on switch and I really like the battle mode, There could be some argument that Smash Ultimate, Splatoon 2, and Mario Maker 2 are enhanced ports. I bought all three of these on switch and Mario Maker is the only one I prefer on Wii U because of the Gamepad functionality.

I have bought second copies of a couple of third party games as well:
  • Mega Man Legacy Collection-I will usually buy any Mega Man games released
  • Shantae Half-Genie Hero - The Switch version cost less than the DLC on Wii U so I justified buying it again
  • Guacamelee - I had the first game on Wii U but bought the two-pack on switch to get the physical cartridge
  • Runbow - While I can't imagine playing multiplayer anywhere other than Wii U, it was on sale for a few dollars on switch

I think a contributing factor to these purchase decisions is your console set up. I have a decent amount of space and have all my consoles hooked up at all times. This makes it easy to use them all at any given time. If I only had one console hooked up to my TV then I might want to buy everything again on that one system.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2020, 02:01:33 PM »
I'm getting it, but pretty much only because I'm using GS reward certs to bring the price down to $45 + tax. The removal of mandatory motion controls from Galaxy is a big selling point to me, and I'd like to see if Mario Sunshine is as bad as I remember.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2020, 05:13:24 PM »
I typically have no issues with companies releasing enhanced ports and remasters as long as they play well. How someone chooses to spend their money is their business. I'll often find myself balking at the price then deciding whether I want to spend full price on it, wait for a sale, or ignore it entirely.

Looking over my games, I'm surprised I didn't buy more enhanced ports and remasters. I technically didn't buy The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest and The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition discs on GameCube, but I have them. I didn't buy any Virtual Console games or the New Play Control! Wii ports. I bought Metroid Prime Trilogy on Wii for $20, right before it went out of print.

For me, there normally has to be a specific reason why I double dipped.
  • Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2: Echoes in Metroid Prime Trilogy don't play the same on Wii (they play worse, but still).
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D and The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D had significant quality of life additions.
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D had eight extra stages (which were not good enough to justify buying this again).
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD is far and away the better version to me. The Swift Sail completely changes the game.
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD was disappointing because Nintendo didn't include motion controls so the Wii version is still the best version. It also reminded me that I don't really like that game. It's fine; I probably won't go out of my way to buy it again. If it's included in a collection, great.
  • Wii Sports Resort was out of print so I snagged it before it became impossible to find. Technically, this was the first time I bought Wii Sports.

I don't count the NES Classic Edition or SNES Classic Edition. I didn't have many of the included games, and both mini-consoles were for ease of use as well as the novelty.

Personally, I feel as if I have displayed a tremendous amount of restraint with the enhanced Wii U ports to Switch. I passed on most of them so far. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe's Battle Mode is infinitely better than that fuckery on the Wii U original. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze has much better load times on Switch. I probably could have lived with waiting for sales on both though. I don't count The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening because it's a complete remake. I would probably buy The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD again, preferably in a collection and/or on sale. I plan on buying Super Mario 3D World if only for Bowser's Fury. I should wait for a sale. Will I? 🤷‍♀️

Recently, I bought The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX and Wario Land II (black cartridge enhanced for Game Boy Color) on eBay. I have a free download of Link's Awakening DX on 3DS, and I don't know what I did with my original Wario Land II cartridge. They were primarily for my Game Boy modding projects/future Analogue Pocket purchase.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2020, 01:35:43 PM »
It's not something I'm interested in since I've already played 2/3. What tips it into unacceptable for me is the time limited stuff. It's transparently arbitrary and only meant to inflate demand

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2020, 06:58:44 PM »
I realize I have a port/game buying problem. I tend to buy games for the sake of buying them and never get around to them. It becomes apparent when a friend asked how I'm doing with 'X' game and I have to reply that I haven't had time to return to it and I just went through talking about other games I've been playing. Thinking I need to dial down the purchases. Going digital actually seems to be helping with this, as there isn't a rush to grab the physical edition before it sells out. I can hold out for the eventual eshop price drops that even Nintendo games experience over time.

I do wonder about if my port purchases have been worth it. Worth looking over to decide if I need to really work on changing my game buying habits, especially with certain life changing events coming up that will surely make me question these decisions more.

Captain Toad - Sorta worth it, don't regret it
I skipped on Wii U so picked up, especially for the co-op, but only gotten to play a couple of times.

Assassins Creed Rebel Collection - No cost to consider
I own AC4 on Wii U but this was gifted to me. Didn't play much of the Wii U edition so will be nice to play portable (portable = flexible play style for me thanks to system sleep).

Hyrule Warriors - Not worth it at full price, but will probably make up the play value in the future
Gifted the Wii U version but never played it, and wanted the extra DLC and improved game performance. Only played for a few hours so should have waited for a sale.

Links Awakening - No cost to consider, but glad it was gifted
Gifted to me, but probably would have gotten it anyways since its one of my favorite Zelda's and I replay it every few years

Lego City Undercover - Sorta worth it, don't regret it
Played some of the original, but wanted the improved load times and the added co-op mode for the story. Also weren't that many Switch games available to buy, but could have waited for a sale since I didn't get too much play time early on with it.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - The amount of play time on this title has made it worth the double dip. No regrets
I owned the Wii UI version and the DLC, but having a big multiplayer/party game like this on the Switch early on was and still is great. I don't always have the Wii U setup and available to play, and the Switch is much more friendly to carry around in a small bag.

Minecraft - Been a great play value on Switch
I've bought this like 4 times (OG PC, Wii U, Switch physical, Switch digital). Only regret buying the Wii U version as I got very little use out of that one. Re-bought digital because the mileage on that game made it worth having available without needing to carry or find the cart, and gifted the physical one to a sibling, so its not really a double dip in that case as I would have bought a new one for them if I wasn't converting to digital.

Namco Meuseum - Should have waited for price drop
Bought this solely for Pacman VS, but been more of a pain to get a second person with a Switch to play it fully. Should have waited for a sale, but I'm sure eventually we'll make up the "play value" so to speak

Okami HD - Should have waited
I bought this on sale at least, but have not even booted it yet. I'll eventually replay it, but who knows when I'll get around to it.

Lets Go Pikachu - Happy with purchase
I had not played the original Red/Blue in a long time as I missed the Fire/Leaf remakes, so it was a nice trip down memory lane and the compatibility with Go added some extra value and allowed me to legitamately complete the full 150/151/153 dex for the first time without cheats. Made me excited for a Gold/Silver remake in the same vein because those were my favorite, but not sure if I'll jump on that right away.

Star Wars Jedi Knight 2 - Should have waited
This is more a time one. I don't have the time for all the game I buy and even the small sale discount I got probably wasn't worth it. I've played Jedi Academy more than this but both games I should have waited until I had time to play them intentionally. At least I missed Academy when it first came out until this one that I own from back in the day (though I never got fully through the original Jedi Knight back then either).

Turok - Some value, but could have waited
I bought this more on the hype/promise of Turok 2 coming with split screen local multiplayer, but the lack of that option for the Switch version killed my excitement for 2, but then the insane difficulty of 1 killed of my play of that one, and the levels are obnoxiously long without enough checkpints.

World ends With You - Should have waited/skipped
Game is unplayable outside of portable mode, and I didn't get very far in this one.

Looking at this list I have (5) positive purchases, (2) neutral, and (6) regretful ones. So I think I do need to tone down my purchases a bit, but more because of timing than anything else. If I waited for a good sale AND a good few days or weeks to dedicate to intnetionally playing them then it would resolve a lot of my issues.

This still leaves me with the decision of what to do with Mario 3D All Stars (and other ports like Pikmin 3 and Mario 3D World). I might cancel and just buy the Mario 64 DS version to play, and rely on the PC port for admiring the game in high resolution/graphics. I have Sunshine, my sister has Galaxy 1 I could borrow and two gamecubes, two Wiis and a Wii U. The only one I am truly missing is Mario 64 due to a lost cart. But there is the FOMO of this collection. I have some time to decide before cancelling my pre-order, but leaning towards cancelling. Only thing I would truly lose out on is the exclusive pin set that I'm not even guaranteed to get due to high demand and limited supplies.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2020, 08:24:50 PM »
What tips it into unacceptable for me is the time limited stuff. It's transparently arbitrary and only meant to inflate demand
Which is strange because it isn't as if Nintendo needs to inflate demand. A Mario collection would just continue selling forever.
Captain Toad - Sorta worth it, don't regret it
I skipped on Wii U so picked up, especially for the co-op, but only gotten to play a couple of times.
If you skipped it on Wii U, I feel like it's new to you on Switch.

Anyway, if we're including third party ports/remasters:
  • Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition is still the best version of this game due to motion controls. Aiming has always been the best use of motion controls to me. Additionally, waggle made many of the QTE segments tolerable; I'll never like QTE though.
  • Chrono Trigger (DS) is the best version of the game. It includes the Toei Animation FMV which I never saw as well as some additional content. Technically, this is the first time I personally bought Chrono Trigger.
  • Resident Evil Revelaitons (Wii U) would have been worth it if Capcom went the extra mile and included local multiplayer. I lost interest and never even unlocked Pirate Jill®. There was also paid DLC on a port of a 3DS game. **** all the way off.
  • Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (Switch) is much better than the PS2 version due to Speed Mode. Technically, this is the first time I bought Final Fantasy XII. Game Crazy "pennied out" (threw away) a steel case copy so they essentially just gave it to me.
  • Shantae: 1/2 Genie Hero (Switch) was unnecessary. I pledged to the Kickstarter, got a digital download, then WayForward Technologies announced a physical Wii U version like two weeks before release. I wanted the physical copy. I didn't need it so this is one of the few ports I regret. I could have played this on Wii U. I think this may be the game Amazon fucked up when delivering (pacakge was delivered, no game) so I may have received a $10 gift card.

Special mention to Okami. I bought it on Wii first then got a "pennied out" PS2 copy from Game Crazy. All in all, not terrible. I got many ports/remasters on sale or when Amazon was giving a 20% off pre-order bonus, and as stated, I got quite a few of the originals for free or as gifts.

I don't have any issues with companies releasing ports/remasters or people buying them. For me, sometimes I just don't want to drag the old console out of storage and the quality of life improvements are enticing enough to double dip. I've been meaning to pare down my video games. I have sentimental value for many of them, but I know I won't hook up the hold consoles to play them.

I've been a lot better in the past few years of just getting games I want, new or remaster. I distinctly remember almost double dipping on Code of Princess and The World Ends With You. I almost bought Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition, but my brother said he wouldn't play it again, and I wasn't going to play it single-player.

I will probably buy Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition eventually, but I'll wait until I can get it for at least $40.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2020, 09:16:59 PM »
Chrono Trigger (DS) is the best version of the game. It includes the Toei Animation FMV which I never saw as well as some additional content. Technically, this is the first time I personally bought Chrono Trigger.

Well, you're allowed to be wrong.  :P

Chrono Trigger's my favorite game, and I have a lot of issues with the DS port (most of which are admittedly nitpicky and fanboyish). Those Toei FMVs were created to replace scenes that were perfectly fantastic in-engine, and one of them was created specifically to try to retcon Chrono Cross into CT's ending, so it can **** right off.

And yeah, those extra dungeons were cut from the original release for a reason. They drag down the pace of the game, and aren't very good on their own (though it's cute that one of them uses a fantastic un-used song from the original soundtrack). And the one new ending is, once again, a retcon tie-in to Chrono Cross. Like the Toei ending FMV, it can **** right off for the same reason.

On the more nit-picky front, all versions after the SNES version got rid of this really neat transition the game occasionally does (most notably during the Ocean Palace & Rainbow Shell quests) where the screen wipes right into a follow-up scene. I don't know why. It's a great effect. I'm also just partial to the SNES translation in general.

The DS version is, fine, really. I just take issue with the general consensus that it's the "best version" by virtue of the sheer amount of extra crap crammed in to a game that was perfect just the way it was. I also despise Chrono Cross (I'm sure you guessed as much. I'm very subtle about that), so anything from that PoS contaminating Trigger's perfection just pisses me off.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 09:19:25 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline M.K.Ultra

• is late to the party
  • Score: 15
    • View Profile
    • Games I'm Playing
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2020, 10:02:12 PM »
Namco Meuseum - Should have waited for price drop
Bought this solely for Pacman VS, but been more of a pain to get a second person with a Switch to play it fully. Should have waited for a sale, but I'm sure eventually we'll make up the "play value" so to speak

I waited and got the physical version for $20 on a price drop which seems worth it to me. I have only dabbled with dig-dug and pac-man but both are really strong arcade ports and the tate mode makes them great in table top mode.

Obviously these are ports of arcade games, but is this collection ported from a previous generation?

Okami HD - Should have waited
I bought this on sale at least, but have not even booted it yet. I'll eventually replay it, but who knows when I'll get around to it.

I did not catch this on Wii but played through the HD version on Switch and loved it. The game is great and the updated visuals are gorgeous. I played with split joy-con and used the gyro controls to draw the sigils. I found this to be pretty accurate and responsive and had fun with it. I also have the physical game imported from Japan which is really cool.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2020, 05:43:24 AM »
I am not a traditional JRPG player.  I find the games to be quite tedious and the stories are just usually not worth it.  I still stand by the game that the most impressive video game stories can not compare to novels, TV shows, or what not.  So I play games for gameplay not stories.

That said.  I have beaten Chrono Trigger multiple times and it is my favorite traditional JRPG.  It is just such a perfectly designed story and game.  I tried to play other versions of it...but the magic is gone in my willingness to play a turn based RPG game.  What I will say, is I loved the New Game + feature and I would probably go through the story mode again with a new game + save.  That feeling of being all powerful is pretty cool.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2020, 03:58:29 PM »
I am shocked and disappointed that Okami HD is being mentioned as a disappointing port. The Switch version is easily the best version of that game because of portability and touch screen support for drawing. Also, since the Wii version is borderline unplayable at several points (The digging minigame can **** right off) it's well worth double dipping on if that's the only other version you have.

I am pretty willing to double dip on games I got for cheap the first time around and the Switch's portable nature has made it easier to justify repeat purchases so I want to focus on double dips I made on other consoles.

2180: the moon

I have this game on both the 3DS and Wii U but I just feel the game's concept of switching between the two screens works better on the Wii U.

Yoshi's Wooly World.

The problem with Yoshi is that imo it works better as a portable game. The art style also still holds up in it's scaled down form on 3DS.

Hyrule Warriors: Legends.

I literally got this used for $20 so I could laugh at how poorly it ran on my original 3DS. Spoiler alert: it runs like ****.

Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3.

The e-reader levels inticed me to double dip on the game on Wii U but I barely even touched it. Now that I have an everdrive I can run my LEGAL BACKUP of the Wii U VC Rom of the game on original hardware but I'm still happy I double dipped since that wouldn't have been possible without Nintendo doing the legwork there.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 04:27:48 PM by pokepal148 »

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2020, 04:33:50 PM »
I have never finished any of the games in this collection. I dont really like them that much, but I havent played them for a very long time.

Because it is limited, I have preordered the physical version. I will revisit Galaxy first because it is newest and most playable.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2020, 05:41:49 PM »
Because it is limited, I have preordered the physical version. I will revisit Galaxy first because it is newest and most playable.
*Ironside siren*
Khushrenada: *glares Khushrenadaly*

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2020, 06:52:54 PM »
I have never finished any of the games in this collection. I dont really like them that much, but I havent played them for a very long time.

I will have to respectfully disagree with this entire point.  I find many old games more playable than modern games.  Super Mario World, Super Metroid, and Link to the Past are games I have literally beat countless times, because it is so playable. 

With Super Mario 3D All Stars, Super Mario 64 is easily one of the most playable and still enjoyable 3D platformers to date.  It is brilliant game...and although not perfect I would say it is more playable than Galaxy and Sunshine.  Heck it may be more playable than Odyssey.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2020, 08:32:07 PM »

I will have to respectfully disagree with this entire point.  I find many old games more playable than modern games.  Super Mario World, Super Metroid, and Link to the Past are games I have literally beat countless times, because it is so playable. 

With Super Mario 3D All Stars, Super Mario 64 is easily one of the most playable and still enjoyable 3D platformers to date.  It is brilliant game...and although not perfect I would say it is more playable than Galaxy and Sunshine.  Heck it may be more playable than Odyssey.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2020, 11:42:43 PM »
The thread is getting spicy, I love it.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2020, 12:24:06 AM »
For Super Mario 3D All-Stars, the lack of Galaxy 2 makes it a no deal for me.  Galaxy 2 is not only by far my favorite 3D Mario, but is also the perfect continuation of Galaxy 1.  Takes the basic concepts Galaxy 1 did but expands on them with an insane amount of new gameplay variety and a greater challenge.  If I was to purchase this collection, after playing Galaxy 1, I'd want to play Galaxy 2 right after, and that'd require me putting my original Wii disc, into my Wii U and playing the game in Wii mode.  Well if I have to do that, then I might as well just play Galaxy 1 the same way on my Wii U using the original disc as well.  And if my Wii U is already on, then I can also play Mario 64 since I got that as a Club Nintendo reward when they original ended that program.

So unless they made some major improvements to Sunshine, I'm not paying $60 just to play an HD upscaled version of that game.  It's be one thing if they were doing what Capcom did with the Mega Man Classic and X collections, and split this up in 3D All-Stars 1 with 64, Sunshine and Galaxy 1, then had 3D All-Stars 2 with 64 DS, Galaxy 2 and 3D Land but they're not.  As a limited run to celebrate Mario's 35th Anniversary, not having Galaxy 2 is just dumb and a major slap in the face to fans of that game.

For the Wii U ports, I personally don't mind them.  I got to play all these games on the Wii U years before they came out on Switch so it's not like I have to buy the Switch versions.  For something like Hyrule Warriors, I got about 30 hours of enjoyment from the original on Wii U before I got bored of the gameplay.  So having a version of the game with more content actually makes me want to play it less since one of my problems with the original is there's way too much content in the game for what is basically a repetitive beat-em-up button masher.

Now something like Caption Toad which I loved I plan on buying it for the new content someday, but will wait for a price cut since the new content ended up not being that much more substantial from what I've seen.  New Super Mario Bros U and Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze are two games I could see myself eventually buying on the Switch again because I loved the original Wii U versions, and having faster load times would be great, but will probably wait until close to the end of the systems lifespan to do so when they've had their prices greatly reduced.  Pikmin 3 is something I could see myself rebuying with the new content as well, but will probably wait until a price drop.

The only Wii U port I could see myself rebuying at full price is the upcoming 3D World + Bowsers Fury.  Something about the way Bowsers Fury is presented kind of makes me think this new content could be pretty substantial expansion to the game.  The way they're even calling the game, Mario 3D World + Bowsers Fury makes it literally sound like an expansion pack.  According to reports, the original Wii U version was 1.7 GB, while the upcoming Switch version is 5 GB.  Most of the time these Switch ports go down in size so for 3D World file size to become 3 times bigger, that kind of tells me there's a lot of new content being put in here.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2020, 12:34:14 AM »
For Super Mario 3D All-Stars, the lack of Galaxy 2 makes it a no deal for me.  Galaxy 2 is not only by far my favorite 3D Mario, but is also the perfect continuation of Galaxy 1.  Takes the basic concepts Galaxy 1 did but expands on them with an insane amount of new gameplay variety and a greater challenge.  If I was to purchase this collection, after playing Galaxy 1, I'd want to play Galaxy 2 right after, and that'd require me putting my original Wii disc, into my Wii U and playing the game in Wii mode.  Well if I have to do that, then I might as well just play Galaxy 1 the same way on my Wii U using the original disc as well.  And if my Wii U is already on, then I can also play Mario 64 since I got that as a Club Nintendo reward when they original ended that program.

So unless they made some major improvements to Sunshine, I'm not paying $60 just to play an HD upscaled version of that game.  It's be one thing if they were doing what Capcom did with the Mega Man Classic and X collections, and split this up in 3D All-Stars 1 with 64, Sunshine and Galaxy 1, then had 3D All-Stars 2 with 64 DS, Galaxy 2 and 3D Land but they're not.  As a limited run to celebrate Mario's 35th Anniversary, not having Galaxy 2 is just dumb and a major slap in the face to fans of that game.

For the Wii U ports, I personally don't mind them.  I got to play all these games on the Wii U years before they came out on Switch so it's not like I have to buy the Switch versions.  For something like Hyrule Warriors, I got about 30 hours of enjoyment from the original on Wii U before I got bored of the gameplay.  So having a version of the game with more content actually makes me want to play it less since one of my problems with the original is there's way too much content in the game for what is basically a repetitive beat-em-up button masher.

Now something like Caption Toad which I loved I plan on buying it for the new content someday, but will wait for a price cut since the new content ended up not being that much more substantial from what I've seen.  New Super Mario Bros U and Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze are two games I could see myself eventually buying on the Switch again because I loved the original Wii U versions, and having faster load times would be great, but will probably wait until close to the end of the systems lifespan to do so when they've had their prices greatly reduced.  Pikmin 3 is something I could see myself rebuying with the new content as well, but will probably wait until a price drop.

The only Wii U port I could see myself rebuying at full price is the upcoming 3D World + Bowsers Fury.  Something about the way Bowsers Fury is presented kind of makes me think this new content could be pretty substantial expansion to the game.  The way they're even calling the game, Mario 3D World + Bowsers Fury makes it literally sound like an expansion pack.  According to reports, the original Wii U version was 1.7 GB, while the upcoming Switch version is 5 GB.  Most of the time these Switch ports go down in size so for 3D World file size to become 3 times bigger, that kind of tells me there's a lot of new content being put in here.

Yeah, but even that is sad.  Honestly, I was hoping for Super Mario 64 to be remade using the Odyssey graphics.  I mean basically every texture you would need is there.  But OK...some might say that isn't Mario 64 then.  Fine...at least add some stuff to make the game more playable and valuable.  I add the wall slide to make wall jumps easier.  Add the extra levels from Mario 64 DS.  And then maybe have all the extra characters unlockable after beating the game. 

Super Mario Sunshine...I would love for them to add a Blue Coin tracker...maybe as something you get after beating the game.  I mean Sunshine isn't a bad game, there are some issues with the camera and level design, but it isn't awful.  I don't think the game needs to add too much.  the HD upscale is probably enough.

Galaxy is the same, but like everyone else said Galaxy 2 should have been added.  Galaxy 2 is like the Lost Levels.  If it isn't in a collection I don't see them adding it period.  I Nintendo should have thought this through more.  Maybe they will make it a DLC for the package, or an update.  That would be nice.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2020, 03:22:07 AM »
Galaxy 2 is my favorite 3D Mario game, but as someone who's likely to play this collection entirely in handheld mode I can live without it considering how cumbersome the heavy pointer use in that game would be under those circumstances. It would have been nice to at least let us try, though.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2020, 11:14:47 AM »
*Ironside siren*
Khushrenada: *glares Khushrenadaly*

Well said. That gets a Honk!

(However, I do agree that he should play Galaxy 1 first since its the worst. Best to get that over with quickly so the experience goes on an upward trend rather than a letdown later on. 8) )

The thread is getting spicy, I love it.

One thing this thread is making clear to me is that a lot of people sure like themselves a weak Mario game. (I'll take one Pinna Park level of climbing up chain link fences over two stars blowing up trash and blue coin searching over Spring Mario. C'mon!! >:( )

However, another thing this thread has shown me is that Galaxy 2 seems to be the big 3D Mario unifier. Everyone seems to love it (or at least like it a lot), everyone wishes it was included and Nintendo seems to have left it out just to make the fanbase turn on itself over the other three games included.