Author Topic: Nintendo Land Will Not Feature Simultaneous Online Multiplayer  (Read 10253 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Land Will Not Feature Simultaneous Online Multiplayer
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2012, 12:27:55 PM »
This just isn't acceptable in today's day and age.  I'm glad local multiplayer is there.  I don't like the trend to replace it with online gaming.  But in 2012 EVERY multiplayer game should be online unless there is some insanely ridiculous technical hurdle that prevents it (and this game with its Wii level graphics should not have such a hurdle).

With the Wii being last gen hardware and Nintendo's lack of interest in online play I can't help but feel that they reached the max level of technology they wanted with the Gamecube.  On the N64, even without CDs, they were pushing the hardware to do all sorts of ambitious things.  Then with the Cube they were all disinterested in going online and they started having games that seemed to make no effort to push the technology.  And they haven't really gone any further.  It feels like they were dragged into online gaming and HD visuals and they're not really interested in either.  Even with the Wii U having powerful hardware the games they've shown wouldn't even stand out visually on the Xbox 360.  They don't look like crap but it just isn't anything truly exceptional.

The Wii U does not scream "this is the new generation!"  It says "Nintendo has been forced to update".  No one is going to be drawn to the Wii U because of obvious fruits of the improved hardware.  The Gamepad is the only thing they've pushed.  Nintendo Land being offline suggests that Nintendo does not care about being current.  If they want to attract core gamers in any way that isn't going to fly.  I'm not interested in a company that is content to live in 2001 and push controller gimmicks.  They didn't go online because they don't care about online gaming and will only do it begrudgingly because today's market essentially makes them.

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2012, 12:33:16 PM »
Then pick up your damn dirty laundry, scrub that toilet, do your dishes, light a scented candle and invite some damn people over aleady!
sheesh. :P: : : : :

With the exception of my Best Friend (who has little interest in the Wii U), my gamer friends are online-only and my family couldn't care less about gaming.  So yeah, local multiplayer in general can just die for all the good it does me.  ;) It's not like I ever have an opportunity to use it.  And considering the rise of online gaming, I doubt I'm the only one who places much greater value on online play and sees the lack of 1st party online play early on troubling.
You seriously still need to clean your toilet every now and then. Consider this a Public Service Message.
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2012, 01:05:37 PM »
I'm fine with no online multiplayer, but what about bots? If I get the deluxe set I will get a game that I can't fully utilize. I don't want to miss out on the digital discounts though... arrrgh. Decisions.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2012, 05:49:26 PM »
Japanese Deluxe Model cost $50 more then the North American Deluxe Model and yet, it has no game.  So unless you plan on buying just the Basic Model, I really don't see the reason for anyone to be glad they'd have to pay more money for less content just because they don't like the game packed in.

Japan has a Dragon Quest X beta invite. Your argument is invalid as far as they're concerned.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2012, 05:52:01 PM »
This is not a news story.

the headline could be

Nintendo Land will not come with condoms.

Nintendo Land will not come with a Dead Fish.

Nintendo Land will not come with an indentured servant.

Nintendo Land will not feature 7 leprechauns.

Nintendo Land will not feature Charlie the Unicorn.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 05:55:32 PM by ThePerm »
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2012, 06:50:08 PM »
and I was so hoping for an indentured servant

I'll still take one with his own teeth, though

HEYO!
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline DonnyKD

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2012, 10:09:17 PM »
Love how most of the replies here don't give a good reason why this should be online.

Only "IT TEH MUTLIPLAYER, NOT EVERYONE HAS FRIENDS" (which is a dumb reason because you don't HAVE to play multiplayer, in some games) and "ITS TEH 21st CENTURY" (an utterly stupid and irrelevant reason).

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2012, 10:13:11 PM »
Hey Chaaaaaaawwlieee, Wake up!

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2012, 10:22:05 PM »
Love how most of the replies here don't give a good reason why this should be online.
What's a good reason why there shouldn't be?

A better question: Would you accept any reason for why there should be? I would consider the reasons you call dumb/stupid to be pretty good reasons. Sure, you don't have to play multiplayer, but isn't that the entire point of Nintendo Land? In that case, it's not so much "you don't have to play multiplayer," it's "just don't play it at all" if you don't have a means to do so.

Point being, if you're going to call other people out on something, at least be able to back up what you're saying. Snark without substance is just trolling.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2012, 11:05:08 PM »
There is a significant single player component to the game, but you're missing a lot if you don't have the ability to play it in multiplayer.

You shouldn't need a good reason to do it. In this day and age, anything with multiplayer should be playable online unless there's a good reason not to do so. This game is definitely better with people locally than with people online, no question, but playing with friends online would undoubtedly be better than not being able to play with them at all.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline DonnyKD

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2012, 03:14:26 AM »
Still love how people still don't give actual reasons why it NEEDS online.

Online multiplayer is an addition, not a necessity, if the game has it, sweet, if it doesn't, whatever. Don't have friends to play with? Don't play multiplayer. Playing online is just like playing with bots, no communication, no cooperation. It doesn't NEED online, and you're insane if you think it does.

Offline Hey Einstein!

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2012, 05:52:31 AM »
Personally I have some peeps for local multi player but not for online multi player. Takes all sorts!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2012, 08:52:52 AM »
Playing online is just like playing with bots, no communication, no cooperation.

I think the people arguing for online are also arguing for voice chat, as is the standard on other platforms.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2012, 09:05:59 AM »
Playing online is just like playing with bots, no communication, no cooperation.

I think the people arguing for online are also arguing for voice chat, as is the standard on other platforms.
I don't have a 360 but, I do have everything else.  When I've played online I don't regular have voice chat.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2012, 09:22:38 AM »

I don't have a 360 but, I do have everything else.  When I've played online I don't regular have voice chat.

It's a standard option, though not everyone takes advantage of it or has the hardware required to.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2012, 12:06:02 PM »
Online is basically a more flexible version of multiplayer.  You can play local multiplayer at home with your friends or you can play with strangers online or you can play with your friends without everyone being in the same house.  It's good for long distance friendships, it's good for adults with busy lives or families that don't have the flexibility to just pop over to their friend's house to play a game.  These days the technology to do this is so commonplace that it makes no sense for practically ANY multiplayer focused game to not offer the option.

Options mean a lot to me.  I get all pissy every time some Wii game doesn't have classic controller support when the only motion control it uses is waggle.  There is no reason it can't support the classic controller and different people prefer different control schemes so having options is always better.  Online is the same idea.

I haven't heard a good reason not to do it and since online is the convention I'd say the onus is on those bucking the trend.  The best defence I see is "well I don't like online play anyway so who cares?"  Well no one says you have to use it and it isn't like local multiplayer is taken away.  With online play anyone can play mulitplayer the way they want to and the way that is more convenient for them.  How is that a bad thing?  Since it is the industry standard what possible justification is there for Nintendo to not offer it?

Ironically providing options is more inclusive and Nintendo supposedly tries to be inclusive and appeal to everyone.

Offline bhurak

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2012, 01:33:47 PM »
Yes yes yes! Online cooperative play with my family is awesome! Multiplayer needn't be about playing with strangers, it can be about connecting with friends and family separated geographically.

On PS3 there are so many: Borderlands 1&2, resident evil 5, portal 2, even second tier games like Transformers and downloadable games like Dead Nation all have full co-op campaigns.  And in games where it's missing people complain loudly and sometimes the feature is patched in later. (Scott pilgrim for example)

Nintendo is now charging full price for their games - it's time for them to include the full feature set.  There's no way a game like NSMB U (a top tier game with 4 player co-op multiplayer) comes out on any on any other platform without online play.