Poll

Which of these GBA games would you recommend?

Car Battler Joe
Contra Advance
F-Zero: GP Legend
F-Zero: Maximum Velocity
Final Fight One
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
Golden Sun: The Lost Age
Gotta Play Them All
All of These Games Suck
Klonoa: Empire of Dreams
DK: King of Swing
Drill Dozer
Golden Sun
Klonoa 2: Dream Champ Tournament
Advance Wars
Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town
Harvest Moon: More Friends of Mineral Town
Fire Emblem
Game & Watch Gallery 4
Kirby & The Amazing Mirror
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land

Author Topic: Best of the Wii U eShop (Bonus Round D: GBA VC - Part 1)  (Read 67863 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Best of the Wii U eShop (Bonus Round D: GBA VC - Part 1)
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2021, 07:06:23 PM »
I recently cleaned all of my N64 games and gave them a quick test.  I spent a bit of time in the evening playing F-Zero X.  That X Cup really is something special as you can just keep playing it again and again.  The tracks are not as good as the pre-made tracks of the other cups though.

Something odd happened though that I wasn't expecting.  At one point the sound started messing up.  I was getting loud crackling sounds in a pulse type of pattern.  The TV I was playing on is an old CRT so I thought maybe it was giving up the ghost.  I have a couple of consoles connected to it on a switch so I paused F-Zero and turned on the Genesis and it was fine with no sound issues.  So it must have been the N64.  I was on the final track of the Joker Cup and my brother suggested I go into the settings to try to the turn the sound off and continue the race.  But when I did so the game just died and the screen went black.  Resetting initially wouldn't turn it back on until I took out the cart and put it back in a few times.  The console itself wasn't warm or anything.  Odd.  Never seen an N64 game crash like that before.

Offline Order.RSS

• Resident Evil 420
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2021, 08:03:49 PM »
Something odd happened though that I wasn't expecting.  At one point the sound started messing up.  I was getting loud crackling sounds in a pulse type of pattern.  The TV I was playing on is an old CRT so I thought maybe it was giving up the ghost.  I have a couple of consoles connected to it on a switch so I paused F-Zero and turned on the Genesis and it was fine with no sound issues.  So it must have been the N64.  I was on the final track of the Joker Cup and my brother suggested I go into the settings to try to the turn the sound off and continue the race.  But when I did so the game just died and the screen went black.  Resetting initially wouldn't turn it back on until I took out the cart and put it back in a few times.  The console itself wasn't warm or anything.  Odd.  Never seen an N64 game crash like that before.

Huh, I've also had crackling sound occur in F-Zero a year or two ago, though not very loud at all. I chalked it up to a loose audio cable or the bad budget PC speakers I was using at the time. Also didn't crash (well, I probably crashed out a few races), so maybe these are unrelated. Did you try replicating the problem?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2021, 08:28:07 PM »
I've had that happen a few times, I don't think it's anything serious. As far as I can figure, it's caused by a loose connection from the system to the cartridge, so unfortunately the only way to fix it is to turn off the power, take out the cartridge, and re-insert it. Usually once the audio begins to mess up, the game will freeze the next time it loads a new screen / area.

When cleaning, be sure to also clean the system's cartridge connector too. I'd recommend a microfiber cloth for that, as something like tissue paper can get snagged and leave behind residue.