Author Topic: Nintendo of America Issues Statement on Amiibo Supply Issues  (Read 20167 times)

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it

Heavy on promises, light on details.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/40187/nintendo-of-america-issues-statement-on-amiibo-supply-issues

Nintendo of America has posted a statement on their Facebook page regarding the rampant shortage of Amiibo.

The statement does not name specific characters, dates or steps to prevent scalping, but does include the following paragraph:

"We’re trying to meet the demands of our fans and consumers by increasing the amount of amiibo we manufacture and ship to retail. We may continue to see consumer demand outpace supply levels for certain characters at times, but we will do our best to prevent that from happening."

The full statement can be found here.

Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo of America Issues Statement on Amiibo Supply Issues
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 02:36:50 PM »
I won't hold my breath.
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline Nelson S.

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 03:11:23 PM »
@Triforce Hermit
My sentiments exactly. I would love to get my hands on a Rosalina Amiibo for less than $40 though.  :P:

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 03:34:50 PM »
"Waah, don't blame me mom, I'm trying my best!"

Offline Leo13

• Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 04:05:33 PM »
In this day and age it's not that stinking hard. All you have to do is find a second manufacturing facility and a third manufacturing facility and have all 3 of them producing at full capacity. Suddenly you're pumping out three times as many and maybe I can actually find the fire emblem characters in a store so that I can use them on Codename: Steam.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 04:18:26 PM »
I think they got the problem licked, everyone should be happy now.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 04:33:51 PM »
In this day and age it's not that stinking hard. All you have to do is find a second manufacturing facility and a third manufacturing facility and have all 3 of them producing at full capacity. Suddenly you're pumping out three times as many and maybe I can actually find the fire emblem characters in a store so that I can use them on Codename: Steam.

It's nowhere near that easy.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Leo13

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 04:36:35 PM »

Then you're going to have to enlighten me because I don't see how it isn't that easy. Yes there are many parts and yes it's taking people time, but that's why you get more manufacturing companies to help so that you at least come close to meeting demand. In the mean time the stretch out time between waves so that you can make more copies of each one.

Offline RPG_FAN128

• Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • RPG_FAN128 Programming
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 05:07:30 PM »

Then you're going to have to enlighten me because I don't see how it isn't that easy. Yes there are many parts and yes it's taking people time, but that's why you get more manufacturing companies to help so that you at least come close to meeting demand. In the mean time the stretch out time between waves so that you can make more copies of each one.

Many people believe the mistaken idea that the more items you manufacture, the more money you will earn. This turns out to be false even for simplistic mathematical models.  Real life has many variables and factors that must be "factored into the equation" so to speak.  There is a considerable amount of mathematics involved in economics.  If you don't believe me check out this link to see how much of it is understandable.   [size=78%]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_economics[/size]

Offline Leo13

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 05:14:45 PM »

Many people believe the mistaken idea that the more items you manufacture, the more money you will earn. This turns out to be false even for simplistic mathematical models.  Real life has many variables and factors that must be "factored into the equation" so to speak.  There is a considerable amount of mathematics involved in economics.  If you don't believe me check out this link to see how much of it is understandable.   [size=78%]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_economics[/size]
Don't act so high and mighty. I actually know a lot about economics and if you had read my post I never said doing this would make Nintendo more money. I said they could fulfill demand. You see they've made games where content is hidden behind a plastic figure (see codename steam, & captain toad) and now since we can't find the figures we can't use that part of the game. It's frustrating I really want to use Amiibo on codename steam, but since they announced that fire emblem characters are playable on the game IF you have the Amiibo I haven't been able to find a single one. I'm still 0-4. I'm ticked and it and I have only Nintendo to blame as they could have made more of them and they chose not to several times (the first time is absolutely understandable but they have no excuse for the other times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 06:02:15 PM »
There's such a thing as too much supply here. Retailers don't want tons of these sitting on store shelves, and Nintendo is producing them with that in mind.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Leo13

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 06:15:31 PM »
There's such a thing as too much supply here. Retailers don't want tons of these sitting on store shelves, and Nintendo is producing them with that in mind.
Sure there's such a thing as too much supply, but we're VERY FAR from that right now.
How is that a concern right now?

Offline Leo13

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 06:20:16 PM »
That's why I said they have a legit excuse for the first wave. They should have increased production for the second wave and then maybe they would have needed to increase it more for the third and maybe not, but if they continue to produce almost none they can guarantee pissed off customers. I talked to the manager at GameStop 15 times and every time I got the same story sorry man I only got 2 Shulks and 1Ike and Best Buy told me they didn't get any Robin and Lucina. How are you defending this? My best buy Todd me they only got 4 Meta Knights. It's crazy. I love Nintendo, but I can't defend this.

Offline Leo13

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 06:21:39 PM »
They keep taking about the cards, I'm not trying to collect the figures I just want the content if they offer me a Robin card for $13 I'd buy it and yet they won't even offer it to me

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2015, 07:15:29 PM »
I feel like they've already said something similar... several times.

Offline Leo13

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2015, 07:32:10 PM »
I feel like they've already said something similar... several times.
Yes they have and with no improvement.

I'm sorry I know I'm spamming this comment section, but this really irritates me

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2015, 07:45:26 PM »
I was interested in getting amiibo figures. But the moment they decided that they wouldn't make enough of the non main mascot or Mario universe figures I decided to not bother.  they lost a customer here because of their supply issues.

Offline rlse9

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2015, 08:52:50 PM »
Can retailers really be happy with the way things are right now?  They get a fraction of what they could sell for the rare characters, have shelves filled with the same characters they've had since Amiibo first came out, and constantly have to deal telling people they can't buy what they came for.

I can understand that they were conservative with the first wave or two but how have they not solved the problem 6 months later?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2015, 10:59:20 PM »

First, you probably shouldn't say snippy things like "please enlighten me", then two posts later tell people not to talk down to you. :D

Second - where to begin?

It's not as easy to just "find a manufacturing facility" (or two).  You have to find one that's set up to actually manufacture something in the same line of what you're making.  Then, you have to book it in advance.  Like, many months (sometimes, over a year) in advance.  Depending on what you need, special equipment (or special modifications to existing equipment) may be required.  And we're dealing with RFID toys - something fairly new in the world of toys. All kinds of government compliance checks are required.  These deals and details are all planned out far in advance.  In the cases of some characters (namely, third party characters - but even secondary characters - for example, did you know that Nintendo doesn't own the rights to license Kirby?), the contracts were probably signed long enough ago that clearly specified how many figures could be manufactured and when they could be sold.  Then, even after they're manufactured, it's generally six-to-twelve weeks from factory to warehouse for Chinese goods shipped via cargo ship to US.

Nintendo could throw all this money at putting all of this together and by time the first restocks are on the shelves, folks could have moved on to something new/different/exciting.  Marth first went on sold in November (and sold out almost immediately).  It's half a year later and we still don't have the restocks on US shelves yet (and that's without trying to rig up additional factories).

On top of this, Nintendo is tied to retailer orders.  Nintendo signed agreements (possibly a year or longer) with retailers to say "In May, we will ship you X amount of Y figure." - now, for something like the port strike, I'm sure there's language in the contract that gives them some leeway.  But I doubt there's much wiggle-room for "Yeah, we'd rather make more Little Macs this month than the new ones we promised you."

Nintendo grossly underestimated demand of these figures to begin with - and that is their initial downfall.  They need to do everything reasonable in their power to get things fixed as soon as possible.  I don't know what that is, but I do know it's a whole lot more than just finding another factory or two.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2015, 12:07:15 AM »
Until I can order directly from them anything Nintendo says are empty words. Direct ordering is the only way people are going to reasonably get the amiibos they want even if they have to wait. Most people do not have time to constantly refresh websites or wait outside stores for the chances they might get something. Locals store can't be counted on to order enough of something or it at all. If they are going to be pushing these with every game the current situation is completely and utterly unacceptable.

I'm at a point now due to not being able to get some of the amiibo I really wanted, because they happen to be the rare ones, my interest in the product line overall is just lessening. I don't have the time to put in to get close to get a Robin, Lucina, etc. I count myself lucky that I got a Shulk and almost didn't get that due to how gamestop was acting. Since this isn't easy for me to just put in an order and get what I want I just stopped paying attention and I've stopped tried to get figures. I'm not going to push myself to adjust for Nintendo's incompetence.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2015, 12:28:24 AM »
Nintendo's been doing a lot of "talking" about fixing the Amiibo supply problem since the first wave, and so far the situation's only gotten worse. Meanwhile, Wave 4 sold out in 15 minutes here in the states while simultaneously taking down the website of the biggest dedicated gaming realtor. I lucked out that one of the staff here found several stores with full shelves of Wave 4 figures in Australia that I was able to procure a Ness; Lucina; and Robin, but that raises questions of its own as to where Nintendo's allocating their resources. I'd like to acquire a Shulk; Ike; & Marth someday, but given the current state of Amiibo that is nowhere near a reasonable expectation.

I'm tired of Nintendo's excuses and empty promises. It feels like all Nintendo's done since the Wii U launched (if not much earlier) is make excuses for whatever latest way they've ****ed up.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Leo13

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2015, 01:01:31 AM »

First, you probably shouldn't say snippy things like "please enlighten me", then two posts later tell people not to talk down to you. :D

The first one "enlighten me" That was genuine.
I work in manufacturing in a field directly related to electronics. I also run my own business on the side. So I consider myself to know a thing or 2 about this stuff. So when I was so confidently told that it isn't near that easy I wondered if you knew something I hadn't thought of yet so I asked you to help me understand.

The second one, yes I was genuinely irritated at that point. I have an Engineering degree, I work in manufacturing, I own my own business, I've read many books on economics principles, and I have almost all the pre-requisites to get started in the MBA program. So although I don't know everything I'm not a complete idiot.

It's not as easy to just "find a manufacturing facility" (or two).  You have to find one that's set up to actually manufacture something in the same line of what you're making.  Then, you have to book it in advance.  Like, many months (sometimes, over a year) in advance.  Depending on what you need, special equipment (or special modifications to existing equipment) may be required.  And we're dealing with RFID toys - something fairly new in the world of toys. All kinds of government compliance checks are required.  These deals and details are all planned out far in advance.  In the cases of some characters (namely, third party characters - but even secondary characters - for example, did you know that Nintendo doesn't own the rights to license Kirby?), the contracts were probably signed long enough ago that clearly specified how many figures could be manufactured and when they could be sold.  Then, even after they're manufactured, it's generally six-to-twelve weeks from factory to warehouse for Chinese goods shipped via cargo ship to US.

Nintendo could throw all this money at putting all of this together and by time the first restocks are on the shelves, folks could have moved on to something new/different/exciting.  Marth first went on sold in November (and sold out almost immediately).  It's half a year later and we still don't have the restocks on US shelves yet (and that's without trying to rig up additional factories).

I don't know about your philosophy, but with both the company I work for and the company I own I make sure to keep my customers happy. It's not always easy and sometimes I lose money on a specific transaction, but then they come back because they walked away happy.

Just last week I needed a specific device for one of my customers, I was told I couldn't get it because it's only sold in Europe (I'm in the US) that wasn't good enough for me and I made it clear.
When that didn't work I escalated it to the guy above the man I was working with. I then simultaneously found a second company that could produce the same thing for me. Meanwhile I designed a back up option in case neither of the first 2 worked out. The original company came back to me and said they could get me in the normal line and they would be willing to start selling that line in the US just for me. The back of the line meant 12 weeks. That was unacceptable and I made that very clear. I then started moving forward with the second company and did more work on my own design. Finally I was able to convince the first company to get it air shipped within a week. Are things sometimes difficult? Yes, but you do what you gotta do and it feels like Nintendo is doing NOTHING.

You point out that Kirby is owned by HAL??? How many people do you know that are trying and failing to find a Kirby?

Marth, you just proved my point 6 MONTHS and I was in Walmart and Best Buy today and neither had Marth (they both had Kirby) 

On top of this, Nintendo is tied to retailer orders.  Nintendo signed agreements (possibly a year or longer) with retailers to say "In May, we will ship you X amount of Y figure." - now, for something like the port strike, I'm sure there's language in the contract that gives them some leeway.  But I doubt there's much wiggle-room for "Yeah, we'd rather make more Little Macs this month than the new ones we promised you."

Nintendo grossly underestimated demand of these figures to begin with - and that is their initial downfall.  They need to do everything reasonable in their power to get things fixed as soon as possible.  I don't know what that is, but I do know it's a whole lot more than just finding another factory or two.

I really doubt that at a time right now when so many people are pissed at GameStop, Walmart, Toys R Us, Target, and Best Buy that they'd have a problem if Nintendo pumped out more Marth, Villager, Shulk, Rosalina, ect and then made sure that they supply enough Amiibo for all the future waves.

Yes Nintendo grossly underestimated demand with the first go round, but obviously you and I have VERY different opinions of what is reasonable for fixing that.

Sorry I've said WAY TOO MUCH

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2015, 07:22:54 AM »
You point out that Kirby is owned by HAL??? How many people do you know that are trying and failing to find a Kirby?

Marth, you just proved my point 6 MONTHS and I was in Walmart and Best Buy today and neither had Marth (they both had Kirby)

Quickly, since I'm on mobile, to address this - I used Kirby as an example because I have specific first-hand knowledge on him regarding licensing and such.  He's a second-tier Nintendo mascot, but Nintendo doesn't outright own the rights to him.

I don't know about other charcters.  Does Nintendo own all the rights to Marth, or could he somehow be tied up with IS?  I dunno.

Then, you even have things like Pokemon characters.  There's an existing complay (Tomy) that has all the rights to make Pokemon toys.  Did Nintendo have to cut a deal with them to make Pokemon toys under their own brand?  If so, I suspect that deal included quantities and if they want to go back and make more Greninja, they will probably have to go back and renegotiate that deal.  And to make things more fun, we already know that Nintendo doesn't own all the Pokemon rights (Owned by The Pokemon Company - which is how we end up with pokemon iOS apps).

So, again, it's just not as easy as finding another factory.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2015, 08:26:54 AM »
At this point in time, I've lost all hope that supply will improve and instead believe that Nintendo of America is saying anything they can to keep frustrated customers from losing interest completely. Empty promises can only placate for so long.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Leo13

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2015, 08:49:53 AM »
You're trying way too hard. Yes HAL makes the Kirby games and Game Freak makes the Pokemon games so if Nintendo is terrible at making a quick deal like that then we'll never see more King Dedede, Meta Knight, Lucario or Greninja. However, Intelligent Systems is 100% owned by Nintendo so Fire Emblem Characters (Ike Marth, Robin, Lucina) are not a problem. Little Mac Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Wario, Toad, Rosalina, Pit are fully owned by Nintendo. In other words, if this was the problem then the shortage would only include select characters that Nintendo doesn't control not a combination of characters that include one Nintendo controls.