Poll

What device do you use most to Netflix? (choose all that apply)

Game Console
22 (42.3%)
Smart Box (AppleTV, Roku, Blu-Ray player)
10 (19.2%)
Smart Phone/Tablet (& Chromecast)
8 (15.4%)
Smart TV
3 (5.8%)
Computer/HTPC
9 (17.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: All Things Netflix! Coming Soon: The Netflix Experience, Live and In Person!??  (Read 321977 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: All Things Netflix! Thread of Recommendations and Request
« Reply #125 on: November 11, 2011, 02:56:43 PM »
Not gonna happen with the first one. Universal Studios backed off their plan to let you watch Tower Heist on demand for $50 a few weeks after it released because one of the largest theatre chains in the country threatened to not air the movie, if they tried to offer something like that with Netflix (especially before it even hits theatres), then I imagine even more theatres would threaten to not air it.

I could possibly see that second scenario happening though, provided Netflix could reach a deal with studios.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 11, 2011, 03:01:46 PM »
I could see that being plausible within the time frame of a Pay-Per-View movie. As in, after it's out of theaters, but before it sees a home release.

As for the Avengers scenario, that's bullshit. If it's out, it's out. It's already a big enough load of bullshit that the studios do all they can to cripple Netflix by withholding releases like that.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 11, 2011, 03:20:17 PM »
The first scenario is more for the independent or movies done without major marketing from a big hollywood studio. They type of movie that may only see a limited release anyway. I only chose Paranormal Activity 3 because I saw the first one like 8 months before it hit theaters, back before Paramount bought the rights and redid some of the effects and the ending. [/hipster]

The second scenario is something I already see happening in places like Comcast On Demand.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 11, 2011, 03:41:27 PM »
There are some indie movies that never get DVD releases at all, and I'd certainly like to see them available for streaming.  If it had to be a premium service, then so be it.  And the second scenario is just pay per view for people without cable.  Seems reasonable.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 11, 2011, 03:45:25 PM »
I got a question for all you Netflix users out there.

Would you be mad at Netflix if they offered Premium Streaming Rentals?

That would be like those movies that now get Digital releases before they even hit the theater and maybe New releases before Netflix is allowed to release the DVD's.

So say that Paranormal Activity 4 was gonna hit Theaters in March, but Netflix allowed you a 48 Hour streaming rental for an extra $5 (you get to watch it on any device that is connected through your account)

Or The Avengers movie was about to hit DVD this Tuesday, but Netflix can't mail out the DVD's till 4 tuesdays from then, but they offer you a premium 48hr Streaming Rental for $5 starting on release day (this tuesday).

Would you be mad at that or actually think it to be a good idea?
What The Avengers movie BnM?  Can you link it?

I don't think I be hip with that because its a slippery slope problem.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 11, 2011, 03:57:56 PM »
Other companies already do this kind of thing (Apple, for one), so I don't think it's that unlikely. Ceric's right, though, this could be a slippery slope toward less support for regular streaming in favor of this.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 11, 2011, 04:20:29 PM »
What The Avengers movie BnM?  Can you link it?

I don't think I be hip with that because its a slippery slope problem.

It was just an example, but I was talking about the new upcoming Avengers movie that releases next year. I wanted a Blockbuster example that the majority of us may be interested in.

Other companies already do this kind of thing (Apple, for one), so I don't think it's that unlikely. Ceric's right, though, this could be a slippery slope toward less support for regular streaming in favor of this.

It could be a slippery slope, but as it stands right now, there are not alot of "brand new" movies hitting streaming, certainly not on DVD release day and definitely not of the Big Name variety.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 04:24:42 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 11, 2011, 04:35:22 PM »
I just think it sets a bad precedent to start doing this. Streaming options may be thin (for movies at least; the TV selection is phenomenal), but I think this would make things worse over the long term. Like I said, there are a lot of other ways to rent movies digitally, so Netflix not doing it doesn't really matter.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #133 on: November 11, 2011, 06:18:36 PM »
It wouldn't matter to me because in any event, I'm not paying a premium to watch a movie a few weeks early. The option being there wouldn't effect me. Now, if I had to pay extra to watch certain "premium" titles, then I'd be kinda pissed.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 11, 2011, 07:46:05 PM »
Except having the option might affect you, as it could negatively impact what studios allow on the regular streaming. Or it could possibly improve things if Netflix cuts deals that allow for the pay per view titles in exchange for better selection in the standard streaming library. But it could definitely affect you, if only indirectly.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 15, 2011, 08:40:26 AM »
Netflix is finally making a true "tablet-fied" version of its instant streaming service. I've only seen the one screen shot, but it's already a million times better than they way it is now (which is just a bigger version of the phone app).
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 15, 2011, 09:16:34 AM »
Took them long enough. And the blown up version of the phone app is a lot better than the previous tablet version, which was basically just the web site except it barely worked.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 19, 2011, 05:41:24 PM »
Good News Everyone

Netflix is bringing back Arrested Development!!!
http://www.slashfilm.com/arrested-development-coming-netflix-2013/
That sound you’re hearing is customers coming back to Netflix for one of the best comedies of all time. The online streaming and rental company has closed a deal to exclusively air new episodes of Arrested Developement in as early as 2013. These are most likely the episodes series creator Mitch Hurwitz mentioned last month as a lead in to a long-rumored feature film. There’s more after the jump.
[...]
Two of the show’s producers, Brian Grazer and Ron Howard (also the show’s narrator) released the following statement:

Of all the projects we’ve been involved with over the years, we probably get more questions about Mitch Hurtwitz’s brilliant ‘Arrested Development’ than any other– everyone, ourselves included, seems to feel like the Bluths left the party a bit too soon. Bringing a series back from cancellation almost never happens, but then, ‘Arrested’ always was about as unconventional as they get, so it seems totally appropriate that this show that broke the mold is smashing it to pieces once again

Full Press Release

« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 05:48:36 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 19, 2011, 05:55:25 PM »
A few months ago the Blockbusters near my parents' house closed.  The one near my house had closed a few months prior to that.  Netflix in Canada sucks balls.  The selection is pathetically slim.  The problem is that since Canada is a different country the distribution rights are different.  A deal made to show a film on Netflix in the US does not necessarily apply to Canada.  Sometimes completely different companies have the distribution rights in the different countries.

This has created an annoying situation where in my area legal movie viewing has become a scarcity.  Renting essentially does not current exist.  The only options are to either catch a film while in theatre, buy the DVD or Blu Ray (and for a new film that's kind of pricey for something you've haven't seen and don't even know if it's good) or just plain pirate the film.  Netflix is stuck in a catch 22 where the selection does not improve if the Canadian market does not demonstrate itself to be profitable.  But without a good selection there is no value is subscribing to Netflix.  I honestly think if the streaming video options do not improve, Canada will lose the after-theatre-run movie market to piracy.

During my free trial of Netflix I did see some good stuff (in fact my brother and I pretty much saw EVERYTHING good).  The two best films I watched were The Thing and Dark City.  In fact I've got a petty bias against the new Thing movie becaues I figure there is no way in hell it will compare John Carpenter's version (which itself was actually a remake of a REALLY bad and dated film).

Its hard to say how people react to the new Thing, most people just avoid it like the plague, in one review someone said "much like the creature in the movie, the prequel is a souless imitation gone horribly wrong". However, if you really liked The Thing and ever nerded out to it, than I would say the Prequel is for you. Theres a difference between being a casual viewer who enjoyed it, and then being someone who discerningly dissected the movie. Its really hard to get a masterpiece like the original 82' version without watching it repeatedly, and with commentary, and special features, and online interviews. The prequel is good as fan service essentially, but im sure if you casually watched the first one and were a fan you might hate it. You have to reach like the 4th level of appreciation to really enjoy the sequel and im guessing only 30% of veiwers will ever achieve that.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 20, 2011, 12:44:10 AM »
Session 9 an excellent little psychological thriller set in a gorgeous looking insane asylum.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 21, 2011, 10:57:34 AM »
A few months ago the Blockbusters near my parents' house closed.  The one near my house had closed a few months prior to that.  Netflix in Canada sucks balls.  The selection is pathetically slim.  The problem is that since Canada is a different country the distribution rights are different.  A deal made to show a film on Netflix in the US does not necessarily apply to Canada.  Sometimes completely different companies have the distribution rights in the different countries.

This has created an annoying situation where in my area legal movie viewing has become a scarcity.  Renting essentially does not current exist.  The only options are to either catch a film while in theatre, buy the DVD or Blu Ray (and for a new film that's kind of pricey for something you've haven't seen and don't even know if it's good) or just plain pirate the film.  Netflix is stuck in a catch 22 where the selection does not improve if the Canadian market does not demonstrate itself to be profitable.  But without a good selection there is no value is subscribing to Netflix.  I honestly think if the streaming video options do not improve, Canada will lose the after-theatre-run movie market to piracy.

During my free trial of Netflix I did see some good stuff (in fact my brother and I pretty much saw EVERYTHING good).  The two best films I watched were The Thing and Dark City.  In fact I've got a petty bias against the new Thing movie becaues I figure there is no way in hell it will compare John Carpenter's version (which itself was actually a remake of a REALLY bad and dated film).

Its hard to say how people react to the new Thing, most people just avoid it like the plague, in one review someone said "much like the creature in the movie, the prequel is a souless imitation gone horribly wrong". However, if you really liked The Thing and ever nerded out to it, than I would say the Prequel is for you. Theres a difference between being a casual viewer who enjoyed it, and then being someone who discerningly dissected the movie. Its really hard to get a masterpiece like the original 82' version without watching it repeatedly, and with commentary, and special features, and online interviews. The prequel is good as fan service essentially, but im sure if you casually watched the first one and were a fan you might hate it. You have to reach like the 4th level of appreciation to really enjoy the sequel and im guessing only 30% of veiwers will ever achieve that.
I just "watched" the first Thing during the podcast this weekend, that's why watched is in quotes.  I have to say it felt like I was starting on the second movie rather then the first.  Which I'm fine with.  I actually enjoy that sort of thing.  I be interested to see the prequel just to see how someone would explain all that.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 22, 2011, 09:35:58 PM »
yeah, thats the great thing about the thing. Clearly some **** went down right before this incident. This thing is moving in waves. Now I want to know what going to go down at the Russian camp.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 23, 2011, 10:04:19 AM »
yeah, thats the great thing about the thing. Clearly some **** went down right before this incident. This thing is moving in waves. Now I want to know what going to go down at the Russian camp.
Is that what the game is?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 23, 2011, 06:05:33 PM »
maybe, idk. They hint that theres a russian camp at the end of Thing'11. I never played the video game so I'm not sure. Didn't own a PS2.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 23, 2011, 06:50:15 PM »
Is that what the game is?

No. As I recall, the game revisits the American camp from the first film. A military squadron is sent in to investigate. It's been a looong time since I played it, but the plotline may take you to the Norwegian outpost as well. It is there that the original corporate conspiracy is unraveled.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

ï»ż

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Re: All Things Netflix! Now With Original Programming!
« Reply #145 on: February 06, 2012, 10:13:40 PM »
Today marks the beginning of Netflix's Original Programming Venture.

On February 6th, Netflix will premiere its first scripted show, “Lilyhammer,” in which Steve Van Zandt (“The Sopranos”) plays a New York mobster in witness protection in Norway. Later this year, it will release “House of Cards,” a highly anticipated adaptation of the British miniseries produced by David Fincher and starring Kevin Spacey. Next year, it will debut new episodes of the cultish comedy “Arrested Development,” which originally aired on Fox.

To me it sounds like an indirect spin-off of The Sopranos. I guess I'll check out an episode or 2 sometime this week and let you all know how it is. But I hope this and the other upcoming shows (AD <3) see mad success as I would love to see Netflix grow, as Hastings put it:

Hastings offers a comparison between Netflix and HBO: “We are becoming more like them in doing some originals, starting that journey, and they are becoming more like us in creating an on-demand interface like HBO Go,” which allows viewers to watch channels on the Web and on mobile and tabulate devices.

HBO declined to comment.

Production schedules will vary widely at the sites, but Netflix plans one notable difference: All its episodes will be released at once.

I think all at once might be a mistake from a business standpoint, but sounds great from a consumer standpoint. Until you realize that you had to wait till the show, in its entirety, was completed to even start the first episodes....

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 07, 2012, 12:07:32 AM »
There's pros and con to doing it that way.
Though I'm going to Sneak in a plug for Wreckration Nation.  Its on Netflix Streaming.  Its crazy.

ï»ż

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #147 on: February 07, 2012, 12:31:22 AM »
I immediately thought of this when I saw that title:

TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 07, 2012, 02:09:50 AM »
After watching 2 whole episodes and starting the 3rd, I can say that this show is kinda like Soprano's Lite done for the BBC. Lots of subtitles, but still entertaining as long as you weren't looking for something as deep as The Soprano's going in.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 20, 2012, 02:49:50 PM »
so what should I watch on Netflix? I watched most of Prison Break(well i stopped at season 4), The Riches, and a bunch of other things, what next?