Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1193680 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #950 on: December 06, 2010, 04:35:05 PM »
I tolerated it because it let me catch up on episodes I missed.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: December 09, 2010, 09:40:56 PM »
I just watched the last two episodes of The Walking Dead. I can't really think of anything to say except "holy ****!"
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: December 09, 2010, 10:16:56 PM »
Terriers Season Series finale. 10/10 a perfect first season, it died because you didn't watch it. Catch it in the future, everything ties up nicely in one season, so it's like a a 13 episode beach noir movie. Think one part Veronica Mars, one part Brick, and a Smidgen of the Big Lebowski.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #953 on: December 10, 2010, 03:04:23 AM »
I didn't like Veronica Mars. It took itself so damn seriously. Got through about half of the first season, but couldn't bring myself to keep watching it.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: December 11, 2010, 09:50:02 PM »
The Whitest kids you know. Horribly offensive.

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: December 12, 2010, 09:37:29 AM »
I'm a huge Simpsons fan, and am so happy right now that my roommates, who had never watched it before, have become hooked on the show. It's also given me reason to watch some of the ones I haven't seen in a while. The second season is better than I remembered.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: December 12, 2010, 09:09:12 PM »
The second season is the first season. That's how good it is.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: December 13, 2010, 02:09:45 PM »
Dexter Season 5 - Disappointing.

Weakest season of the 5 as far as I'm concerned. It's almost as if nothing changed from last season other than Deb found a new side of herself and a BF. Quinn has the same exact suspicion(only much stronger). Dexter is alone with the kids again, the nanny had no purpose, Lumen is gone, La Guerta is still in charge, Deb is still a detective. This was like the second season of Heroes where nothing really mattered and you wouldn't miss anything if you skipped the entire season.

On the good note though, did you see Masuka's date at the end of the ep.
I'm gonna post a pic for those that missed it....

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #958 on: December 13, 2010, 04:17:58 PM »
Yeah...it ended a little too nicely. I've been waiting so long for Deb to finally see Dexter for what he is, and it came so close to delivering it but yet again, it ended up being another dick tease.

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: December 13, 2010, 08:59:56 PM »
I started watching Community on the recommendation of the Newscast crew, and I'm really liking it. It's a great ensemble cast, but so far (8 episodes in) my clear favorite is Chevy Chase. He plays the part of the out of touch old guy so well, and I'd argue he's had the most consistent writing.

J.P. Corbran

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #960 on: December 14, 2010, 12:44:48 PM »
About Dexter
I loved this season. I also thought it wrapped up a little too nicely, but Lumen leaving kind of brought it back down to Earth.

Deb not finding out about Dexter made sense because she's a cop, and you could see how much she struggled letting them go; she shot at Lumen, and if she had seen them, how could she let them go?

While I didn't care much for the Batista/Laguerta story, it shows that the other characters aren't stagnant pieces of a story. They are integral to Dexter's life, and have lives of their own.

Laguerta protected Dexter from Quinn, which she might not have done except for the problems she was having with Batista, and her previous attraction to Dexter. Also, because Deb and Quinn got together, Quinn was willing to overlook the obvious fact that Dexter was involved in something sinister and killed Liddy. Their relationship is also what convinved Dexter to clear Quinn, rather than kill him, or turn him in. Quinn had no evidence so Dexter would have been in the clear.

All the pieces of the story came together, even Lumen leaving, which I didn't completely like, but it gives Dexter hope that one day, some sense of completion could rid him of his dark passenger.

That is what Dexter has always been about small problems and pieces coming together to roll into huge problems for Dexter and his killing of people, which in the end he solves by killing more people, in this case, Jordan Chase and his followers. This season also showed a lot more of what kind of person Deb is beyond a foul mouthed cop. She didn't even ask Dexter for help that much this season. Like Dexter, she's much different from her peers and has had problems finding love. This season, they both found great loves. Dexter lost his love, and saved Deb's; he's a killer, but a great brother, trying to be a good dad. He saw Rita as his connection to humanity, but in his lss, and throughout the season he got closer to and struggled to keep the rest of his family close, and happy. I thought it was the best season so far, maybe.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #961 on: December 14, 2010, 12:50:33 PM »
Well said, er written.

Still, I don't know. I thought the 2nd season was probably the best.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #962 on: December 14, 2010, 01:23:40 PM »
s5 was the weakest.
It started off really really bad and didn't start to pick up until halfway through the season.
There also wasn't a whole lot of tense situations this season, but it's really hard to follow last season, especially when you have a bunch of new writers on the show that were responsible for me losing interest in 24.

There was for too many instances where things wrapped up too neatly, things happened conveniently, and other things are just totally forgotten about. Like dexter finding the the video camera because of the baby monitor, which wasn't even on, but flickered the video signal on randomly. Or that Deb who was demoted to the file room was suddenly off demotion the next day and lead detective back on the Barrel Girl case and the new Laina cop who got promoted was no where to be seen again since her promotion. Or that Quinn is completely cleared from all charges in connection to Liddy's death because the blood didn't match, but we'll completely forget the voicemails/calls in his last hour or the fact that he was in possession of police surveillance equipment "signed" out by Quinn and that equipment was missing and that all the fingerprints on the van were Liddy & Quinns.

There are so many other things too, like how hey just completely gave up on the case that got Deb demoted in the first place (the other brother is still out there). And how the police never identified the 1st girl in the videos and never found out that Jordan Chase was an alias and his real name was Eugene Grier. When you check into someone like that I think it would be very weird if they just appeared on this earth at age 27 or whatever and hod no history before that. The police should have known it wasn't his real name.

I could keep going, but there was just too much of this this season that it broke the suspension of disbelief as there is always some stuff like that in shows like this, but this season just said **** it, and created things and forgot about things as they were needed to get to the very weak ending that this season served us. It was still a decent watch and I will definitely be there Day 1 for next season, but the season is easily the lowest on the totem pole.

s1 great
s4 great
s2 very good
s3 good
s5 ok
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 01:35:57 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #963 on: December 14, 2010, 02:07:12 PM »
@ Unagi
I did say maybe lol. ;) Season 2 was pretty damn good.

@BnM
I think it's a little harsh to say it started off badly, it was slow, but I felt purposefully so, Dexter was lost without Rita, to the point that killing even lost some of its enjoyment for him. He had to rediscover himself, and didn't until Lumen came into the picture, and began turning things around for him.

Deb was reinstated because in being demoted to the file room she found new evidence, and Batista had her back, and Laguerta was both making up for her mistake in demoting her, and trying to make her husband happy; another validation of the Batista/Laguerta story.

Deb knew he was called Eugene Greer, I think she even mentioned it to Laguerta. The hole in the story was her not checking the name against property holdings like Dexter did, but I thought they were either trying to maintain Dexter's intellectual superiority, or Deb's overworking of the case made her overlook something. Also, Jordan had his name legally changed (if I'm not mistaken) at a young age, so technically there shouldn't have been any propety in his old name.

I forgot about the other killer brother, (hopefully they start next season with Dexter finding and killing him) but I imagined that Deb being reinstated meant there was no longer a place on their squad for the latina cop, and the fact she betrayed a cop that the rest of the unit defended, would have made her time there difficult.

As for Quinn, his fingerprints weren't inside the van, and a handwriting expert would have been able to tell his signature was forged. They kind of just skipped over the investigation, but I imagine that his being a cop makes it easier for his name to be cleared, much like Quinn was right that if Dexter wasn't part of their team they would've taken a harder look at him as a suspect.

I know I'm reading between the lines a little, but I think it's all there, except the other brother thing. Batista should have been investigating that since Deb and Quinn had lead on the barrel girls.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 02:08:57 PM by MaryJane »
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #964 on: December 14, 2010, 02:50:20 PM »
But that was the problem, they just skipped over so many opportunities to build tension or a sense of panic/fear for whats gonna happen next, but they wasted too much time in the first half of the season just getting it going that there was no time left unless they extended the season (which I would have been fine with).

My main worry about Deb having gotten stuck down in the filing room was that she was look more into Dexter's past and piece together more clues about Dexter and his brother Brian Moser, but that plot line has been conveniently forgotten too. Not to mention the fact that Deb was still staying with Quinn even after she told him to **** Off!?
Another detail conveniently forgotten: The red car Dex stole from the dock to chase down Jordan to the camp. It was flipped over and had blood DNA (which Dex could contaminate later), but it would be known that it was stolen from the dock around the time the police were there and somehow ended up at the crime scene. That should raise a few questions at the very least.

There are a few things I would have done very differently that I think would have made for a better season and not followed Laguertas last lines "Lets' give us a seconds chance and start over from the beginning";

Debs demotion and reinstatement was a little quick. Was she even demoted for 24hrs? with all the red-tape that Laguerta kept talking about, you'd think that the case would have to carry on without her and she would have done some unofficial off the clock work on it herself. She would have dug more in to Dexter while in the file room and also have discovered the property owned by Eugene by making a few phone calls and then discovered (Dexter and/or) Lumen at the murder scene at the camp and then let it go since she was there in an unofficial capacity and sympathized with the effort. Having discovered Lumen's secret (being #13 and the vigilante) she would have assumed that Dexter was the one helping her and all the research she did in the file room (this season and previous ones) would start to slowly come together.
Having been found out, Lumen would have every reason to skip town while she could get away with it and then Deb would ask suspicious questions of Deter who would deny even knowing what she was talking about.

Dexter would have found out about the camera's in a slightly different way that actually made sense, and it wouldn't have been hard since he is such a neat freak. He could have noticed the small hole in the base of his lamp or gotten electrical interference from another device. Maybe he gets suspicious after he sees Liddy near his apartment getting into a van and that's after seeing Liddy at the police station rifling though Quinns desk. Either way the Liddy story plays out the same (Dead) but the case doesn't get dismissed (after Dex cleared the blood charge) and it is forcing to light the situation that Quinn had hired Liddy to investigate Dexter even though Laguerta had already suspended him for such actions (The scene where Deb tries to talk to Quinn in interrogation is where he tells her and only her about what Liddy was upto.) casting suspicion back on Dexter and triggering more thoughts in Deb's head as it all starts to come together for her, even if she keeps this theory to herself.

*some of this could still happen next season*

that's how I would have it all go down this season leading up some suspense for the next.

edited to clean up a few sentences and add more context.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 09:12:49 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #965 on: December 14, 2010, 08:56:53 PM »
You bring up some great points. It all seemed very rushed didn't it?

Oh well...kinda makes me want to write my own show.

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: December 14, 2010, 09:02:36 PM »

Even without any knowledge of what it would be about, based purely on your posts, let me be the first to say I'd totally watch that.

J.P. Corbran

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #967 on: December 15, 2010, 10:59:56 AM »
@BnM
Deb was demoted for the killer brothers, and reinstated for the barrel girls. All the red tape was for brothers' case since civilians got hurt. If she hadn't gone to the file room she would've stayed obsessed with finding the other brother. And they didn't forget about Dexter's brother, Deb mentions that she knows what the girls went through, and that was because of the Ice Truck Killer aka Dexter's brother, taking her hostage.

I also think (but not sure) that Deb complained to Quinn about going to the file room for 'another day' suggesting that it was more than one day. Like you, I thought Deb was going to find out more about Dexter through the file room (I was thinking the clerk would say something about Dex always wanting to look at old files) but they transferred that suspense to the fact that the barrels girls case was reopened, and that brought her directly in line with Dexter's extra activities.

I sort of assumed Dexter either burned the car, or with the hour Deb gave them, he would have flipped it back over with the bulldozer or whatever he ran into and used the car to escape since they had to carry Jordan's body. I also assumed Deb wouldn't have run into it because she wasn't in as much of a hurry, or as distracted, as Dex was.

I do like your ideas about Dexter finding the camera better than what happened, but it did add some suspense that Dexter might go after Quinn, it just could have been done a lot better.

I also wouldn't have minded an extended season. :)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 11:01:35 AM by MaryJane »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #968 on: December 15, 2010, 12:01:25 PM »
I'm pretty much done analyzing Dexter for all it's inserted conveniences, open plot threads/holes and missed opportunities to connect previous seasons to current season and actually add some real drama, but you don't get publicly demoted one day and then be lead detective on a different (higher profile) case 2 days later.

And I can accept that since Dex came from across the bay he might have entered the camp from a different side than Jordan and Deb so she wouldn't have seen the overturned car, but we know that's not true since Jordan passed that same bulldozer on the way in and Deb took the same route he did.... and apparently so did Dexter.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 12:20:58 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #969 on: December 15, 2010, 04:39:41 PM »

Even without any knowledge of what it would be about, based purely on your posts, let me be the first to say I'd totally watch that.

Haha that makes me want to start typing.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: December 17, 2010, 06:45:52 AM »
Stargate Universe has been cancelled. And that marks the end of the franchise.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: December 17, 2010, 01:07:38 PM »
WHAT? They cancel it when it starts to get good. Of course if they had done the first season with a bang then maybe they wouldn't have cancelled, but who's to know anyway. It's going to be a bitch for them to have an ending that in a manner isn't made of suck. Oh well.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: December 17, 2010, 05:55:44 PM »
canceling a decent series is a surefire way to keep cult fanship going
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #973 on: December 18, 2010, 03:11:13 AM »
I didn't watch the show, but I'd always intended to, what with Julia Anderson (Benton) and all.

Here in Hawaii, I'm watching a lot of Family Guy reruns. The show maintains its humor extremely well.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #974 on: December 18, 2010, 10:23:25 AM »
It's my least favorite of the MacFarlane shows though, I think both American Dad! and The Cleveland Show are great. Family Guy is really hit and miss.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20