Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1186706 times)

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #925 on: November 24, 2010, 04:49:37 AM »
I don't mind action, just not how they do it in Human Target with it's asinine setups. It's like a nine year old writing an action sequence with each scene and twist "Bigger" and more contrived than the last. There is nothing technically wrong with the action, people get shot die, thrown out of windows etc, but it's like watching bad pxxx, it's got people going at it, the lighting is good, the camera work is a bit utilitarian, the female looks good, but damn, there is nothing exciting about it. You just don't care.

In many ways it's is the same show as Burn Notice, but it lacks any real charm, cleverness or intrigue you expect out of it. But with the season final, it finally got some of that, so hopefully it is mostly a first season issue.

I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: November 24, 2010, 05:30:42 AM »
There are still 2 shows I keep hearing about that I wanna check out in the near future.

1 is Mad Men and the other is Breaking Bad.

I've seen one of the episodes from teh 1st season of Breaking Bad and it looked pretty cool, so I might check that on out first.
Anybody have opinions on those 2 shows?

I watched the pilot of Breaking Bad on the advice of the same friend that got me to start watching The Walking Dead and loved it, but I haven't gotten back to it because I've been pretty busy. I've been using my current term break to get caught up with some stuff, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. I recently picked up the complete series of The Wire on DVD pretty cheap based on near-universal praise, so I'll probably do that, then Breaking Bad, and then probably Mad Men, which I too have heard great things about.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: November 24, 2010, 11:34:35 AM »
@BnM re: No Ordinary Family

The guy following the family is telekinetic, they haven't explicitly said so, but that what it looks like. Also, about the mask, I assume they are using the reasoning from the previous episode with the mobster about people seeing him; who will believe you, how do you find him, and how do you prove it? Lastly, what annoyed me was why ***spolier alert*** the wife's lip gloss caused an allergic reaction in Jim, but not in her. They plainly showed that the chemical affected the plant that gave them powers, and not just Jim uniquely. Other than that I liked it, except the asshole teacher having a hot wife...
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: November 24, 2010, 12:13:09 PM »
@BnM re: No Ordinary Family

The guy following the family is telekinetic, they haven't explicitly said so, but that what it looks like. Also, about the mask, I assume they are using the reasoning from the previous episode with the mobster about people seeing him; who will believe you, how do you find him, and how do you prove it?

I still thinks it's stupid. Anybody could see him jumping all over town and landing loudly on the roofs of buildings, not just the criminals. I hope some people recognize him on the street one day when he's just minding his own business. His boss (Guierrmo from Weeds) is already suspicious of his actions, so having someone come in to the station to describe the man they saw do something impossible (like land in the middle of an alley from somewhere over the building across the street, or get shot 7 times and not go down or pick up a van and toss it or stop a speeding car in it's tracks) then point out the sketch artist as the guy they saw would probably be a very bad idea and a good reason to conceal his identity while out doing things out of the ordinary.

Lastly, what annoyed me was why ***spolier alert*** the wife's lip gloss caused an allergic reaction in Jim, but not in her. They plainly showed that the chemical affected the plant that gave them powers, and not just Jim uniquely. Other than that I liked it, except the asshole teacher having a hot wife...
I was talking to my girl about that. She said it was because she put it on and it got inside of him somehow. I said BS. They all got their powers from the same source so i fit doesn't affect her externally, then it shouldn't affect him either. It's not like he was licking the gloss off her lips and eating it.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: November 24, 2010, 03:59:15 PM »
So the lip gloss got "inside" of him "somehow"... aye? Hawt.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #930 on: November 30, 2010, 03:07:31 PM »
Finished BSG, enjoyed it. I'm not sure why so many people seem to dislike the ending.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: November 30, 2010, 03:09:18 PM »
Finished BSG, enjoyed it. I'm not sure why so many people seem to dislike the ending.

It's pretentious, overblown, and underwhelming.  The second half of the final episode just obliterates anything awesome about the first half.  On second thought, I think that just about sums up the last season in general.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: November 30, 2010, 05:45:08 PM »
I liked BSG's ending, partially because it was one of the possible endings I came up with early in the run of the series. Pretty heavy deus ex machina, but it can be forgiven a bit considering the spiritual undertones of the series.

J.P. Corbran

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: November 30, 2010, 06:14:24 PM »
Dexter: 10.1/10
I loved how the interactions between Dex and Lumen turned murder into normal couple conversation. I honestly thought Lumen was about to ask if her outfit made her look butt look big.

***SPOILER ALERT***
I wish they would have shown the old cop planting the cameras because it took me by surprise that he had done so, so simply, but as I said before, I think Lumen is making Dexter a little sloppy.

I also wish they had waited one more episode for Dex and Lumen to hook up for the memory of Rita's sake, but I'm guessing watching her own rape was as therapeutic for Lumen as Dexter discovering all the details surrounding his mother's murder. Facing your demons does make them easier to deal with, but it still seemed a little sudden.

This by leaps and bounds the best show on television, and it makes me sad that there are only two episodes left this season, and there are rumors that the next season may be the last.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: November 30, 2010, 06:56:03 PM »
Currently watching 3rd Season of Mad Men (just finished episode 9) on Netflix.

Good show.  It's got issues, and the storylines aren't always believable... but the characters are interesting enough to make up for the shortcomings.  I often find myself drawn in farther and the plot deserves.  Highly recommended, and good enough to justify the Netflix service even if we didn't watch other stuff too.

Regarding the final season (and more specifically, the final episode) of Battlestar Galactica, I also disliked it.  The "answers" they gave weren't satisfying and felt like a hollow resolution because the writers didn't plan well enough to provide a more compelling end to a tremendous show.  True: things are resolved well enough to end the series... but it just didn't give any sense of payoff after investing so much time in the series.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: December 01, 2010, 08:50:29 AM »
OK, seriously, the Season 3 opening theme music for Sanctuary is unbelievably bad.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: December 01, 2010, 11:58:04 AM »
But this season's great so far. Who cares about the opening. It's an acceptable trade-off.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: December 01, 2010, 06:13:57 PM »
The last episode was fantastic. Gasp.

FINE! You win.

For a 160 year old woman Helen Magnus can seriously kick ass.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #938 on: December 02, 2010, 02:29:31 PM »
Ok so I jsut watched the first 4 seasons of 30 Rock. I rate it the funniest american show I've ever watched. Everything about it is the best.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: December 02, 2010, 04:30:42 PM »
This season of SGU is also great, and I'm just waiting for Destiny to transform into Voltron at one point or another.

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #940 on: December 02, 2010, 06:58:58 PM »
Ok so I jsut watched the first 4 seasons of 30 Rock. I rate it the funniest american show I've ever watched. Everything about it is the best.

Yes, it's unbelievable how good the writing on that show is.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: December 02, 2010, 07:06:01 PM »

You should watch It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, which is the one comedy on TV right now I consider better than 30 ROck.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: December 04, 2010, 02:35:30 AM »
So I've watched a fair bit since I last posted here so I'm afraid it might be a bit of a longish one (by my standards at least).

Six Feet Under (Seasons 1-5): I watched this after a bunch of recomendations from friends. I'm not sure if I liked it, but I think that might have been the point. These unlikable characters doing fairly unlikable things, but remaining interesting at the same time. Looking back I'm not sure there was one character that I liked for the entire run, I think Nate was the closest I got, but he defintely had story arcs that shitted me off to no end. The only character that frustrated me the entire time was Ruth, man I wanted her to die, so bad. From the very first episode everything that woman did shat me to tears.

It's a weird show, that definitely made me think, but I'm not sure I liked it.

Community (Season 1): My brother bought the DVD and I had seen one episode and didn't vomit so I decided to watch this based on pretty much nothing. It was a pleasant surprise. I enjoy the mish-mash of crazy characters, doing crazy things in a quasi-realistic setting. It's pretty cool how they can do episodes like the paintball one and not make it seem unrealistic in the scheme of the show. Those zanier episodes weren't really my favourite ones though, and to unfortunatley they already have seemed to make a few more in season 2.

7.5/10

Eastbound & Down (Season 1): I love this show. I don;t know what it, but anything Danny McBride says I find instantly funny. Something about the phrasing or delivery I guess. Kenny Powers is over-the-top, crude and outrageous, but the show can be surprisingly dramatic at times, which is why I think it works so well. I've watched the first two episodes of Season 2, I'm missing April already.

8.5/10

Eh, I have more but I cbf writing' them now. I might later.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #943 on: December 04, 2010, 08:01:21 PM »
Parks and Recreation Season 2, quite good. I'm loving the cast, especially Aubrey Plaza and Nick Offerman, but everyone's pretty great. Marked improvement over the first season, as they've fleshed Amy Poehler's character into something more than a female Michael Scott. It's a good watch.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: December 04, 2010, 08:45:05 PM »
I stopped watching Parks & Rec pretty early on when it became clear it was a complete ripoff of The Office; the assertions of the Newscast and this thread that they've fixed that are making me want to give the show another shot.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #945 on: December 04, 2010, 08:49:09 PM »
Bones season 5

Lovin' it so far. Booth is dealing with the repercussions of a brain tumor removal. Gordon Gordons (the always imaculate Stephen Fry) shows up in one episode. He's always welcome. There was an interesting episode that's obviously inspired by King of Kong (the bad guy has an American flag tie) while simultaneously advertising Avatar. Bones is trying to show 'em off more than usual this season, which I appreciate. She's growing as a character (finally), become more empathetic. God, Emily Deschannel is so goddamn gorgeous.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #946 on: December 04, 2010, 08:53:24 PM »
I stopped watching Parks & Rec pretty early on when it became clear it was a complete ripoff of The Office; the assertions of the Newscast and this thread that they've fixed that are making me want to give the show another shot.

I agree with Andy that S2 is a lot better than S1, and there are several characters who don't have equivalents in The Office. To be honest though I'm not sure I'd still be watching if Aubrey Plaza wasn't in it.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: December 06, 2010, 08:15:13 AM »
This season of SGU is also great, and I'm just waiting for Destiny to transform into Voltron at one point or another.

The last episode was the perfect balance for me. A right twinge of the drama established from previous episodes Eli's grieving and Chloe's ongoing transformation and an immediate pressing problem to deal with.

Unfortunately it's now on hiatus to 2011 some time (lets hope its not April like last time!).

Which is a bugging problem for me. Why do shows like SGU take a break halfway through the run (when storywise it shouldn't) when shows like Glee which can be split more easier, don't?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #948 on: December 06, 2010, 10:38:35 AM »
Actually, Glee WAS split into two last year. Season 1 had its first half air from September to December (not counting the sneak peak of the first episode in May), then aired the second half from April to June.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: December 06, 2010, 03:50:29 PM »
Oh really? It didn't here.

I wish they do that to other shows like that more often to give shows like The Event and SGU and V the space they need uninterrupted.