Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1186451 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #900 on: November 19, 2010, 11:24:45 PM »
Oh man, I would love to be able to watch BSG for the first time again. You're getting into the best part of the series.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: November 21, 2010, 02:25:02 AM »
Skins - 8.5/10

I watched this show because I recently got into another UK show by the name of Misfits, and the way Misfits was described to me was "Skins with a heroic twist", so I decided that since I like Misfits so much, maybe I should check out Skins too. Well I went into Skins not knowing anything about it other than it was another UK show. A few episodes in and I wasn't 100% sold, but for some reason I just had to keep watching it. teens finishing their 2 years of College (equivalent of American 11th & 12th grade I think) who are involved in everything a normal teen is into back those days.... drugs, sex, more drugs, liquor, smoking, did I say drugs, girls/boys, partying & drugs.

The first 2 seasons were pretty good, good enough to keep me interested, but the 3rd season was probably my favorite. The first 2 seasons focus on 6 or 7 teens, and then the 3rd & 4th carry on by focusing on the sister of one of the 1st 2 seasons main characters and all her new friends as she starts the College her brother just graduated from. I wasn't really a fan of the 4th season outside of 2 episodes (Cook & JJ), but Oh **** at the way it ended.

My girl tried to relate it to Degrassi (which I've never seen), but I was told that this was nothing like Degrassi since it's actually good and the only similarity is that it follow kids in "High School". Very good watch. Looking forward to the 1st episode of s5 just to see the resolution of the end of s4.

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #902 on: November 21, 2010, 12:21:26 PM »
Just finished BSG season 2.5, WOW the plot really took a hard left turn didn't it?
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: November 21, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »
My girl tried to relate it to Degrassi (which I've never seen), but I was told that this was nothing like Degrassi since it's actually good and the only similarity is that it follow kids in "High School".

I'm pretty sure that Degrassi is a melodrama aimed at tweens. No high-school show will ever be better than Freaks and Geeks. :)
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: November 22, 2010, 03:19:13 PM »
Fringe just got moved to the friday night death slot. Not because it was performing badly but because they wanted to give American Idol "more market".

Goodbye Fringe. It's been fun.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: November 22, 2010, 03:33:24 PM »
Fringe just got moved to the friday night death slot. Not because it was performing badly but because they wanted to give American Idol "more market".

Goodbye Fringe. It's been fun.

Honestly, I'm surprised that Fox has given this show 3 years.  This season has been ok, but it took too long to shed its "X-Files" facade and get into the real meat of the story.  Farewell, Fringe.  I shall miss mocking the absurdity of your increasingly-obtrusive location title cards.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: November 22, 2010, 04:13:00 PM »
I agree it took too long.

And those location cards got more and more blatant. I'm only early season 2 but i eventually started looking for where it'll be spliced in.

Random sidebar: I HATE the new Sanctuary theme tune.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #907 on: November 22, 2010, 05:00:56 PM »
Smallville has actually thrived on Friday nites over the last few years and even Supernatural its doing fine.

So don't write it off just yet

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: November 22, 2010, 07:40:29 PM »
Funny you say that about Smallville. I use to hate it, but when they finally moved away from all the teenage melodrama  ie, moved to Metropolis, I have become regular to the show.

Also with the proliferation of DVRs that are easy to use with multiple tuners and digital TV, time slots are becoming less and less of an issue.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #909 on: November 22, 2010, 08:07:44 PM »
True. With DVR, On Demand and Internet Streaming, when a show comes on is becoming less and less important.

If Fridays weren't a death sentence for the struggling Smallville 5 years ago till today, then Fringe may still have a chance.

What needs to change though is the Neilsen data collecting. They should just track everyone with a cable box/DVR, all online streaming from advertising sources like Hulu or the network websites. It's all digital nowadays so it really should be that hard to step the rating tracking into 2010 and out of 1985.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: November 23, 2010, 01:24:48 AM »
Dexter

It was a decent filler episode up until the last minute. That's when it got fucking AWESOME!

Can't wait for next week!
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: November 23, 2010, 01:56:29 AM »
The Walking Dead is the best show on television.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #912 on: November 23, 2010, 02:48:03 AM »
Dexter

It was a decent filler episode up until the last minute. That's when it got fucking AWESOME!

Can't wait for next week!

Agreed. I was also a little surprised that it was Astor that showed up. Dexter handling the friends mom's BF was great too.

I don't exactly agree with that, but yesterdays episode was exactly what I want more of from this show. Slightly unexpected twist and lots of Zombie killings (that goes both ways). Great episode.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: November 23, 2010, 03:03:16 AM »
Were you satisfied with the explanation they gave for the guy sawing off his hand?

J.P. Corbran

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #914 on: November 23, 2010, 03:09:55 AM »
Were you satisfied with the explanation they gave for the guy sawing off his hand?

It is what it is, but at least they explained it.
I was just hoping they didn't gloss over it since it only took 3 seconds to explain or show what happened, and they gave a reason, so I'll accept it for what it is.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: November 23, 2010, 05:08:29 AM »
What needs to change though is the Neilsen data collecting. They should just track everyone with a cable box/DVR, all online streaming from advertising sources like Hulu or the network websites. It's all digital nowadays so it really should be that hard to step the rating tracking into 2010 and out of 1985.

Bingo. People are saying that Stargate Universe is failing because 1# its an expensive show (at $1+ million per episode) and 2# it only gets ~1 million viewers live. When they looked at the numbers including DVR's (Live + 7 days) it registered a 78% increase. Hulu and other means push it up even further. But none of those numbers are considered important because in the case of SGU (or any other TV show except for those produced by commercial-free channels like the BBC) because none of them generate revenue for the network producing it.

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #916 on: November 23, 2010, 10:33:17 AM »
Why doesn't Hulu generate revenue for the network? Shows on Hulu have ads. Are the networks getting no ad revenue from that?
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: November 23, 2010, 11:12:09 AM »
They do, and they also get from DVR as well, but less, through their blatant use of products during the show (like how often you see the Ford sign on Fringe).
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: November 23, 2010, 03:19:29 PM »
Two of the executive producers of SGU have actually said something along the lines of "'oh i went and downloaded it' doesn't help us. the only way to keep SGU is to watch it live". The other said that DVD sales and online streamings all help to mould its decision on renewal but do nothing to directly influence SyFy into keeping it.

This probably may differ on other shows, as MGM licenses the Stargate name to SyFy to use, but overall its sttill pretty accurate given how nielsen ratings are only measured by faces in front of boxes (and not how any faces in front of said boxes).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #919 on: November 23, 2010, 03:42:27 PM »
Another really GOOD show in desperate need of LIVE viewers is Terriers on FX.

I believe it from one of the creators of The Shield and they also asked for live viewers if you want to help ratings.
I don't know if any of you watch that show, but it's not about dogs in literal sense.

It's about an Ex-Cop working with an Ex-Con as private detectives in a Southern California city. It's definitely worth checking out Wednesday nites at 10pm on FX.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #920 on: November 23, 2010, 08:08:10 PM »
I don't get FX, so I can't watch their shows on TV.

As for Nielsen ratings, i've always had a problem with the fact that a few thousand households are used to predict what the entire country watches. I would support just tracking everyone with their cable/satellite packages, I have a feeling that some people would start complaining about big brother.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #921 on: November 23, 2010, 08:38:26 PM »
But the cable companies already track cable box and DVR usage anyways. might as well make that the official rating to go by.

It also might speak well for shows on NBC (i.e. Chuck) when Comcast takes over, because they have direct viewership records so they know exactly who is watching what and can judge a show on actual ratings instead of just extrapolated ratings based on the television habits of a few people.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: November 23, 2010, 09:18:08 PM »
Human Target, A revisit season 1

I was pretty harsh and critical of this show when I first saw it and in many ways I still am. The main arc took far too long to pick up. The situations/writing is still pretty poor and generally contrived. The show has little charm. Blackmild2k1 gave me enough of a nudge to keep it at least in the back ground.

However, one thing has saved it. It's season end episode. This episode finally breaks away from it's original contrived, repeating plot lines of death trap(s) of the week to what the meat of the show really should have been. Who is Christopher Chance. Who his support team is and how they relate to CC. CC's origins.

All said, it's still a poor show, but it might have finally found it's feet and is rubbish if you compare it to the much superior Burn Notice. It's still background watching, but I rescind the death wish.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: November 24, 2010, 12:46:27 AM »

I think that it has the potential to be. It's still too early for me to really decide however. Truthfully though, I'm not too fond of 99% of what's on television. I download the handful of shows that I'm interested in, and supplement my movies with NetFlix. :)
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #924 on: November 24, 2010, 02:50:26 AM »
There are still 2 shows I keep hearing about that I wanna check out in the near future.

1 is Mad Men and the other is Breaking Bad.

I've seen one of the episodes from teh 1st season of Breaking Bad and it looked pretty cool, so I might check that on out first.
Anybody have opinions on those 2 shows?

Re: Human Target - I think it's a fun show. It's not deep or anything but I would liken it to popcorn television. It was almost all action almost all the time. Supposedly they have made some changes behind the scenes and with the screen with this show. They added 2 female characters and want to focus less on the action bits, so it might appeal to your taste more now, but it's still too early to tell since there has only been 1 episode of season 2 so far.

No Ordinary Family was mostly a filler episode tonite. But what was the guys power that is keeping an eye on the family?
And why was the dad still going out without a mask on? wasn't the scare of the last guy seeing his face enough to make him think that maybe he should hide his identity if he is gonna be going out to fight crime? and what did he do with the car jackers? they got a good look at him and saw him use the powers in the bright of day. No way to avoid being identified unless he didn't actually turn them in.