Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1186169 times)

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #600 on: August 18, 2010, 12:04:25 PM »
I wish it were on Blu Ray instead of DVD, but whatever.

Ditto, but I will wait. I just know it's bound to happen. I was so pissed off when Rome was released on Blu Ray because I have the DVDs.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #601 on: August 18, 2010, 01:16:34 PM »
The sexual tension between Allison & Carter continue throughout the entire season, and it's still going on in season 2 (which I'm watching).

Season 2 is not as good as season 1.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: August 18, 2010, 01:37:20 PM »
The sexual tension between Allison & Carter continue throughout the entire season, and it's still going on in season 2 (which I'm watching).

Oh joy.  I wouldn't mind the romance angle if the writers weren't constantly trying to bash us over the head with it with increasingly contrived situations.  The episode where the two "accidentally" fall asleep in the same bed with Allison's purse "accidentally" left out on the couch just had me rolling my eyes.

On the flipside, though, I do enjoy the little comedy bits with Carter's experimental home.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: August 18, 2010, 02:49:28 PM »
You get breaks from the UST occasionally when one or the other gets into a temporary relationship, but no TV writer in existence can resist will-they-or-won't-they romantic subplots.  Or at least no TV producer is willing to let any TV writer avoid them.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: August 21, 2010, 06:49:49 AM »
I know this is random, but "In The Pale Moonlight" is one of the darkest DS9 episodes they ever made  - and for that reason one of the best in the franchise.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: August 21, 2010, 01:23:58 PM »
I know this is random, but "In The Pale Moonlight" is one of the darkest DS9 episodes they ever made  - and for that reason one of the best in the franchise.

That's my favorite episode of the series. It's a great story with a great twist.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: August 21, 2010, 03:58:08 PM »

That's my favorite episode of the series. It's a great story with a great twist.

It really is. It's no surprise that a lot of my favourite Trek episodes come from DS9. I still feel that even though the show ended eleven years ago its still one of the few sci-fi shows with a heavily developed range of characters both permanent and recurring. There's never been a character quite like Garak since.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #607 on: August 21, 2010, 04:31:22 PM »
I wish Spike still aired Star Trek, they used to air TNG, DS9, and VOY. They stopped that though when they decided to air like 6 hours of CSI every day. DS9 is my favorite series of Trek and they did a phenomenal job with the multi-season Dominion War arc.

I don't know if I would call "In the Pale Moonlight" my favorite episode, but it is up there. Sisko knowing that he was responsible for Garak killing that Romulan senator (because Garak knew that the senator wouldn't believe the forged data rod) i order to convince them  to end their non-aggression pact with the Dominion and join the Federation Alliance. The ending is great too when Sisko admits that he would do it all again as he was getting tired of having to post casualty lists of thousands of people every week and is willing to do anything to end the war. One of my favorite quotes from the episode is Sisko quoting his father about "the road to hell is paved with good intentions. I laid the first stone right there."

This makes me wish that Paramount would go back to the real timeline rather that this alternate timeline created in the 11th and 12th movies. I especially want to see how the destruction of Romulus and Remus changed things, especially since the major powers (Federation, Klingons, Cardassians, and Romulans) were still recovering from the Dominion War. I was thinking that maybe the movies could focus on that alternate timeline while Paramount could launch a new TV show that would focus on the normal timeline.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #608 on: August 21, 2010, 11:25:41 PM »
Which one is "Pale Moonlight?"

My favorite DS9 episode was the one where Sisko was trapped in the 1920's or something, and Ben was trying to get him back. That was cool.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #609 on: August 22, 2010, 12:08:50 AM »
Brief description of "In the Pale Moonlight":

The Dominion War is going badly for the Federation Alliance. A ship that has a close friend of Dax's was destroyed by a Dominion ship that traveled through Romulan territory, something that was happening more and more since the Dominion and the Romulan Star Empire signed a non-aggression treaty (something several other species have done in order to avoid war). Sisko is determined to stop this and realizes that the only way to do that is to get the Romulans to join the war on the side of the Alliance. Sisko talks to Garak to have Garak use his few remaining contacts on Cardassia Prime to provide proof that the Dominion plans to invade Romulan space. A problem happens when all of Garak's contacts get killed less than a day after talking to him. Sisko and Garak decide to fake the evidence. Sisko calls in a favor to Chancellor Gowron to have a convicted criminal pardoned rather than be executed because Garak plans to have him create a data rod (basically a future version of a flash drive) that shows a security video of Weyounn and Damar planning a invasion of Romulus. Sisko convinces a influential Romulan senator to come to DS9 after meeting with the Dominion and view the recording. After the senator examines the data rod though, he realizes that it is a fake and tells Sisko that he plans to tell the Romulan Senate. As his shuttle is leaving though it blows up. When Sisko talks to Garak, Sisko realizes that Garak planned it. Garak said that he hoped that the data rod would be to fool him, but had a back-up plan just in-case. He planned that the ship would be blown up after leaving DS9, the Romulans would find the data rod in the debris and assume that the Dominion blew up the ship to prevent the evidence of the invasion from getting back to Romulus (with Garak saying that the Romulans would think that any flaws with the data rod would be blamed on the explosion). Sisko's plan worked and the Romulans entered the war on the side of the Alliance. The entire episode was told as a log entry by Sisko, with him struggling to cope with what he did under the gist that the end justifies the means. Sisko then admits that he would still do it again, then deletes the entire log.

Hal, I am not sure which episode you are talking about as that doesn't sound like any episode I have seen. I am trying to think of some. There are a couple of episodes involving "Benny Russell". Benny was a science-fiction writer in the 1950s. All of the DS9 regulars (including the actors who played Martok, Dukat, and Damar, among others) play characters in this world, letting us see what they look like out of make-up. The only time travel episode I can recall is the two-part episodes "Past Tense (Part I)" and "Past Tense (Part II)"  when Sisko, Dax, and Bashir end up in 2024 San Francisco and Sisko ends up having to replace Gabrielle Bell, a man who helped end massive riots and led to closing of the Sanctuary Disrticts (basically ghettos were mentally ill people, violent people, and homeless people, were all forced to live because the government had given up trying to help them) after people became outraged at what was happening in them and forced the government to pass real reforms. This was funny because Sisko's image replaced Bell's in history books and would be mentioned a few seasons later when Sisko got a visit from Temporal Investigations in "Trials and Tribble-ations".
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #610 on: August 22, 2010, 12:56:34 PM »
Just finished the first two seasons of Eureka, and eh...it's ok.  The cast is excellent, the special effects are serviceable, and there is a good sense of fun to the series.  Unfortunately, the series seems so far to be in love with "everyone in Eureka is acting strange"-type plots, which gets old really fast.  Sometimes on top of the "everyone is acting strange" plot, they also toss in the "people are getting sick" plot, which is my most despised Television plot.  Seriously, does anyone take episodes where everyone's getting sick of some illness seriously?  We all know nothing of any consequence will happen, because the hero always shows up in the nick of time with the magic cure that makes everyone better.  Just once, I'd like to see someone important actually die in a "sick" episode.  And you already know my issues with this show and its habit of pandering with sexual innuendo.

I have Seasons 3 and (what's been aired of) 4 to watch now, but so far I've been enjoying the show despite its issues.  I just hope they start using some new material instead of seemingly-endlessly remixing the same stories that Star Trek already beat to death years ago.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 12:58:40 PM by broodwars »

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: August 22, 2010, 01:40:35 PM »
The episode that Halbred is referring to is called Far Beyond The Stars.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: August 22, 2010, 01:42:51 PM »
That was a good one too, though they were pretty much all good ones. I'd be hard pressed to come up with more than a few I'd call bad.

J.P. Corbran

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #613 on: August 22, 2010, 02:31:01 PM »
I didn't care for the first season of DS9 (although there are some good episodes in it), but that is really true for all of the Trek series as the actors are still getting used to the roles and the writers are still adjusting too.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: August 22, 2010, 02:41:39 PM »
The only episode I can think of off the top of my head that I didn't like was the second of the three Lwaxana Troi episodes (the one where she's having all kinds of wacky effects on people's personalities and love lives). Considering how awful I found her character to be on TNG, though, it's a testament to the amazing quality of DS9's writing that they managed to make her not just bearable, but genuinely interesting, twice.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: August 22, 2010, 05:10:38 PM »
I agree with that too. Characters like Lwaxana, Rom/Nog, Garak and Dukat are all very much recurring (Garak and Dukat being almost semi-permanent mainly due to the actors nailing it and the characters being such a hit) but they were nicely developed out as time went on.

What i did notice was how Voyager really doesn't hold up to scrutiny on repeat viewings. Endgame I and II are particularly weak compared against What You Leave Behind and the 10-part serial beforehand.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #616 on: August 22, 2010, 08:48:05 PM »
"Year of Hell" was awful television. It was two episodes of awesome followed by "oh, it was just a dream (sorta)."

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #617 on: August 22, 2010, 09:31:46 PM »
While I agree that reset devices are terrible on TV (basically saying that the audience wasted their time as nothing happened with the characters), the actual two episodes were pretty good in my opinion.

Hal, what do you think of the episode "Living Witness", which takes place 700 years in the future and doesn't  technically feature any of the characters? If you don't remember that episode based on the title, it's the one where a backup copy of the Doctor is activated 700 years in the future and basically has to correct what this alien species actually think Voyager did. The actual Doctor is not in the episode (it's just a backup of his program and has his memories) and the other characters are only represented by holograms in this holodeck recreation, so technically none of the characters appears ad it has no effect on the series (as it takes place hundreds of years i the future).

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #618 on: August 23, 2010, 12:05:00 AM »
I do remember that one, I think. Is that the episode where he gets his portable holo-emitter?

And I'll agree that "The Year of Hell" was actually pretty awesome, but I don't care how awesome something is if it ends in a dream sequence because the writers wrote themselves into a corner. As for "Living Witnesses," I like that premise because it's essentially archaeology.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: August 23, 2010, 07:22:20 AM »
I do remember that one, I think. Is that the episode where he gets his portable holo-emitter?

And I'll agree that "The Year of Hell" was actually pretty awesome, but I don't care how awesome something is if it ends in a dream sequence because the writers wrote themselves into a corner. As for "Living Witnesses," I like that premise because it's essentially archaeology.

I liked the Year of Hell for what it did but ultimately the episode is now unwatchable because it means nothing to the characters or the story or anything. Skip right past it and you miss nothing. You learn only character moments and background history. The only people who may have been aware of the events of the episode was the Temporal Section of Starfleet. Which leads on nicely, because..

"Relativity" was a good episode because even though it sort of features a reset button Seven and Janeway are not allowed to talk about their experiences due to the Temporal Prime Directive they are both aware of it and its a good romp into past events and their own previous experiences.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 07:39:57 AM by Plugabugz »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: August 23, 2010, 10:03:51 AM »
How about something like "The Visitor" on Deep Space 9? I'd say it's one of the most emotionally powerful episodes of any Star Trek, but it gets reset at the end and nobody remembers what happened.

J.P. Corbran

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #621 on: August 23, 2010, 10:10:38 AM »
Well,

Hal, the Doctor got his mobile emitter in the two-part episode "Future's End". Voyager ended up in 1996 Los Angeles and had to stop this man, Henry Starling, from using a 29th century starship (that he had stolen from the guy who crashed it) from going to the future to get technology and bring it back to the 20th century for profit (the storyline established that he had used technology from the future to basically invent every bit of computer technology we currently use, like microchips). At one point Starling managed to copy some stuff from Voyager's database, including the Doctor's program. He gave the mobile emitter to the Doctor and at the end of the episode the Doctor kept it.

Although the episode may not have affected the characters on Voyager, it was not quite a total reset device because it did affect the Krenim by undoing all changes that the temporal ship had done (including giving Annorax his wife back). Also, Kurtwood Smith is a great actor and it was nice seeing him.

insanolord, not quite. Captain Sisko remembers what happened.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: August 23, 2010, 12:31:25 PM »
How about something like "The Visitor" on Deep Space 9? I'd say it's one of the most emotionally powerful episodes of any Star Trek, but it gets reset at the end and nobody remembers what happened.

That episode easily is the best of any Star Trek (including the movies), and yes it had a reset button, but Sisko remembers the experiences and the purpose of the episode at the end really is to solidify Jake and Ben's relationship.

The Year of Hell didn't have a character-aimed focus, but ultimately cancels out any and all forward momentum it created by blowing up the ship.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: August 23, 2010, 12:39:50 PM »
"The Visitor" is great, but to me it loses some of it's effect by being a DS9 episode, in the sense that the whole series is so great and because of that it doesn't stand out as much. On the flip side of that, I think I give "The City on the Edge of Forever" a little too much credit because of how much better it is than any other TOS episode, and any other episode of any TV series of that era.

J.P. Corbran

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #624 on: August 23, 2010, 12:47:35 PM »

That episode easily is the best of any Star Trek (including the movies), and yes it had a reset button

I think "The Inner Light" from Star Trek: TNG (that's the one where Picard gets zapped by an alien gizmo and lives out a lifetime as another person, right?) might have to disagree with you there.  "All Good Things" (the TNG series finale) and "Best of Both Worlds: Part 1" are also strong candidates for that honor.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 12:49:36 PM by broodwars »