Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1186170 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #550 on: August 04, 2010, 04:07:46 PM »
Because the studio that owns the show actually has interest in releasing it on DVD still. Fox and Universal have no interest in doing the same for KotH and Coach.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: August 04, 2010, 04:19:41 PM »
Don't talk to me like I don't know why the latter seasons aren't available for instant viewing.  I didn't ask a question.

I'm just complaining.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #552 on: August 04, 2010, 05:19:39 PM »
1st Season of Justice League (animated): Goddamn/10

Great show. Worthy successor to the Batman & Superman shows, and better than Batman Beyond. Flash is a player and Batman's a dick. It's so great!
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: August 04, 2010, 05:51:23 PM »
Justice League took Batman's awesomeness to hilarious levels.  Say there were a bunch of robots attacking.  On Super Friends, Superman would punch dozens of them to pieces, and then Batman, with Robin, would use some gadget to knock just one over.  On Justice League, Superman would punch one to pieces, then look up to find Batman had disabled the rest already.  And then turned them on their creator.  And discovered free energy.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #554 on: August 04, 2010, 07:00:35 PM »
I loved Justice League, the show got even better as time went on (like the episodes that crossed over into Batman Beyond). Some of my favorite episodes was the one where an alternate universe of the Justice League was formed after The Flash died, and they used their powers to basically become rulers of Earth. And in the episode "Injustice for All", Batman shows he can be a mack when he wants to when he got Cheetah to turn on Luthor and kissed him.

I also loved the moment when the Justice League was forced to go into hiding after Hawkgirl turned on them when hr people invaded Earth, they had to get rid of their costumes (Flash was reluctant to reveal his identity, but then Batman proceeded to reveal all of their real names, including his own).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: August 06, 2010, 04:06:46 AM »
I've been watching 30 Rock on Hulu Plus lately. I just started the 4th season, and the show's writing just keeps getting better.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: August 06, 2010, 05:27:35 PM »
the show's writing just keeps getting better.

Really?  I thought season 3 went downhill a bit after they started doing celebrity guest spots every week.  Still totally worth watching, but not as funny as the first season.

For what it's worth, I thought the Muppet scene (the world as viewed through Kenneth's eyes) is about the funniest thing I've ever seen on television.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: August 06, 2010, 05:37:39 PM »
I'm fine with and actually like the constant guest appearances for the same reason I like the product placement: they're so blatant about it and go out of the way to make it seem forced that it becomes funny in and of itself. And when I praised the writing, it was mostly about the writing for Tracy. He's gotten a lot funnier over the last season I've watched; that's not to say he wasn't funny before, but they've really got a good handle on his character at this point.

The show is very good with what I think is one of the best ways to structure a TV joke: setting you up for what seems like a predictable line, and then giving you something different. Predictability is usually, in my opinion, a good indicator of the quality of a show; the less predictable it is, the better, at least to a certain point.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: August 08, 2010, 08:14:40 PM »
I need some help deciding what to watch next.

Finished the first two seasons of Dexter (and the more recent ones aren't on Netflix Instant View).  Finished all of Lost.  Finished all but the last season of 24 (which isn't out yet).  Finished the first season of Heroes (and no interest in the other seasons).  Slowly making my way through The X Files.

What should I watch next?  Something preferably available on Netflix Instant View.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #559 on: August 08, 2010, 08:23:58 PM »
Not sure if you are into the series, but I would suggest Doctor Who. The first four seasons of the current series are all available for instant streaming (along with all of the TV specials from those four seasons, except the special that had concluded David Tennant's run as the Tenth Doctor and being regenerated into the Eleventh Doctor). I didn't really like the first season that much as I didn't like Christoper Eccleston as the Ninth Doctor, but even those aren't bad. The fifth season only just ended in the UK in June, so it's not available yet.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: August 08, 2010, 08:34:56 PM »
What should I watch next?

Supernatural.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: August 08, 2010, 11:59:16 PM »
Christopher Eccleston wasn't that bad and another season from him would have been alright, but if it meant sacrificing a season of David, then no. But David gets the weakest companion of the new series, Martha Jones. Just plain boring.

Go watch it and see something that isn't made in North America.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: August 09, 2010, 12:55:08 AM »
I need some help deciding what to watch next.

Finished the first two seasons of Dexter (and the more recent ones aren't on Netflix Instant View).  Finished all of Lost.  Finished all but the last season of 24 (which isn't out yet).  Finished the first season of Heroes (and no interest in the other seasons).  Slowly making my way through The X Files.

What should I watch next?  Something preferably available on Netflix Instant View.

Finish Dexter.

Check your PM's.

What should I watch next?

Supernatural.

That is next in my queue after I finish 6 Feet Under.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 12:56:56 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #563 on: August 09, 2010, 10:06:14 AM »
Christopher Eccleston wasn't that bad and another season from him would have been alright, but if it meant sacrificing a season of David, then no. But David gets the weakest companion of the new series, Martha Jones. Just plain boring.

Go watch it and see something that isn't made in North America.

I will admit that Eccleston got better as the season went along. I have to disagree on Marth though, I thought she was a good companion (not as good as Rose or Captain Jack, but slightly better than Donna; I won't get into the companions he only had for one or two episodes). I loved the season 4 two-part finale ("The Stolen Earth"/"Journey's End") that had the Doctor united with the Children of Time to stop Davros and the New Dalek Empire.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: August 09, 2010, 12:24:44 PM »
Donna is far and above the best companion simply because of the actress.

She's primarily a comedian and i thought that she couldn't act for poo. Her show was never funny and was usually based on repetition and shouting. There were elements of that in Who but when her character settled into the emotionally-driven (like in Silence in the Library & Forest of the Dead and Planet of the Ood) she really came into her own. The other companions bar Jack (ignoring Amy) weren't like that. Martha's blank stares didn't work for me a lot of the time.

To me she proved the actress has her chops. Rose and Martha... not so much.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #565 on: August 09, 2010, 12:35:49 PM »
She may have been a good actress, but I didn't like her as a companion. Her voice was annoying (and she liked to talk a lot). Martha's stares were something I liked, and were never there for reason. Both Rose and Martha did improve over time, even more so when they came back after leaving the Doctor (Rose especially was great when she came back late in season 4).

The one time companions (mainly used for the TV specials, although they have had ones like Adam Mitchell; Adam was a companion to the Ninth Doctor for two episodes, he got kicked out of the TARDIS after the Doctor caught him trying to use future technology to help him and his family back in the present) have been pretty good and likeable. I think Jackson Lake would have been a pretty good Doctor (he was in the special "The Next Doctor".) I didn't like Michelle Ryan's character though, she was the Doctor's companion in the mediocre "Planet of the Dead" special.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #566 on: August 09, 2010, 12:46:56 PM »
The IT Crowd - 5x2 out of 100/10

Fantastic show.  Hilarious characters, dialog, settings, etc..  everything!  My only disappointment is that each season is very short.  I wish there was more!

Although quite the normal person, Jen is very very odd.  And I love this about her. There's almost a bit of sexiness because of it.  I think the funniest/best episode thus far was definitely when they went to go see the "gay" theater play called.. well, "Gay!" Hah.  Every moment had some sort of comedic bit that I just could not stop laughing.  My jaws hurt so much by the time the episode was over.  Too hysterical. I love it.

And Moss? Oh man, Moss is great. Probably the most unique character I have ever seen in a tv show/movie EVER. He's phenomenal at his part.

There are only three seasons out so far, right?  Because I want more. :)
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #567 on: August 09, 2010, 01:34:42 PM »
It's run for 4 "seasons" so far (the fourth season just ended last week, so of coarse it is not up on Netflix yet), and a fifth and sixth season have been confirmed. I put "seasons" in quotations because each one is only six episodes, I have no idea why UK shows love to have seasons that are less than 10 episodes. This is odd to me because even a 13 episode season here is considered short. Standard TV seasons are between 20-25 episodes.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #568 on: August 09, 2010, 01:36:07 PM »
God, I hated that show. My wife and I watched the entire first disk of season 1 and found the comedy to be way too broad, as is the case with many British comedies.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: August 09, 2010, 04:24:39 PM »
It's run for 4 "seasons" so far (the fourth season just ended last week, so of coarse it is not up on Netflix yet), and a fifth and sixth season have been confirmed. I put "seasons" in quotations because each one is only six episodes, I have no idea why UK shows love to have seasons that are less than 10 episodes. This is odd to me because even a 13 episode season here is considered short. Standard TV seasons are between 20-25 episodes.

Because we prefer short taught seasons rather than long drawn out ones. Plus we don't have a "TV season" that starts in september, so the budget means new shows all year around. Doctor Who is arguably the longest at 14 episodes a year.

On that note:

Sherlock 9/10. It's a THREE episode season at 90 mins each, but wow the finale was fantastic. Moriarty was so campified yet so entertaining to watch. I'm looking forward to seeing it come back next year for a slightly longer run.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #570 on: August 09, 2010, 04:47:16 PM »
I don't think I could accept a show I like being so short. So what is the general opinion on most US shows that air over there (I have no idea how long other countries TV shows are)? Very few shows I like feel like they would be better with fewer episodes.

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: August 09, 2010, 05:39:55 PM »
I don't think I could accept a show I like being so short. So what is the general opinion on most US shows that air over there (I have no idea how long other countries TV shows are)? Very few shows I like feel like they would be better with fewer episodes.

Most people i know tend to thing that most american seasons run too long. Heroes season 1, for instance, would have been perfect IMO if it was chopped from 24 (or 26?) episodes to 15.
CSI is too long at 24. 24 was too long, but the format of the show requires it. Stargate is too long at 20 and can safely be cut to 15. There's nearly always four or five filler eps which normally wouldn't happen if it was just a shorter season.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #572 on: August 09, 2010, 05:49:15 PM »
I can see how that would make you crave a show more -- especially if the writing is really phenomenal.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: August 09, 2010, 07:54:36 PM »
Tried watching Dr. Who but was forced to turn it off after about 6 minutes.  OMG was it bad.  Some girl who needs acting classes gets attacked by living mannequins and then is rescued by some random dude?  Does it get any better?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #574 on: August 09, 2010, 08:56:31 PM »
Yes, you are describing episode 1 of season 1 of the current series. That season gets better over time (the girl is Rose Taylor, who is the Doctor's companion for the first two seasons), and the series becomes vastly superior when David Tennant becomes the Doctor in season 2. I think seasons 2 & 3 are the best (I haven't seen season 5 yet because it is still airing in the UK I think).