Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1192389 times)

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #450 on: June 01, 2010, 12:03:09 AM »
I have to agree with you, Halbred. I hope that next season is the last. Did you notice near the end when the camera panned towards House's hand, and that it looked purple, as if it was ready to be amputated or something?

I think I'm the only one here that watches Supernatural, and I have to say that the season finale was awesome. I love this tv series.
I cannot wait for season 6. Even though this season was supposed to be the last, and it ended how the main producer/creator wanted it to end, I'm still excited for it.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: June 01, 2010, 12:23:30 AM »
I was watching Supernatural during this season, but stopped so I could watch it from the beginning (Why didn't I watch this show when it first started?). I was really enjoying it but seeing all the way through from the beginning sounded too tempting since I just started watching this season.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #452 on: June 01, 2010, 12:28:53 AM »
I will only mention new episodes (or at least new to me) I watch here since I watch a lot of re-runs. I thought tonights episode of WWE Raw was great. They really tried to elevate Evan Bourne and the renewed focus on the tag team division is nice.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: June 01, 2010, 12:45:40 AM »
(Why didn't I watch this show when it first started?)

Same here. For a few years I have this policy to not watch TV, so most of the stuff I watch is downloaded because of word of mouth from here, or from local friends. It was a friend of mine that lent me his seasons 1 to 3 DVDs that made me change my mind. I was so hooked that I bought season 4 on bluray, and by then season 5 was running. I thought I could hold out until the season 5 bluray would come out, but I just couldn't.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #454 on: June 01, 2010, 12:52:48 AM »
The thing is that I remember when it started. The main guy was a guest star for Smallville for one of it's worse seasons (s5) as Jason Tiege or something like that and he left that show in a hurry to start Supernatural. I saw the first episode, and I think it started at the same time as some 20 minute sitcom about the devil and I was just watching/following too much TV back then to make the time to give it a real chance.

I then caught an episode or 2 during s3 and really liked what I saw, but was still committed to too many shows at that time to add another one. I finally started watching this season, but starting from the beginning is the way to go since they keep referencing things I don't know about.

I would have started it already on Netflix, but my girl wants to finish 6 feet under first so she can see what happens to "Gay Dexter" (as she refers to him).

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: June 01, 2010, 01:42:12 AM »
Gay Dexter... ahahahahaha! I wonder if they recorded the newest season? I say this because Dexter had cancer, or so I was told.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: June 01, 2010, 04:31:03 AM »
NewsRadio - 10/10

I started watching it again recently because it was the anniversary of the tragic death of Phil Hartman and I wanted to watch something with him in it, and I've already gone through a season and a half. I've called it the best live-action TV comedy ever made, and I stand by that. I consider Phil to be the funniest man who ever lived, and he's great in this, but he's not the best character; that would be station owner Jimmy James, played incredibly by the very underrated Stephen Root (probably most famous for being Milton in Office Space). From what I remember, the show kept getting better and better until Hartman's death between seasons 4 and 5, and I've put on hold watching shows that I'm watching for the first time to go through NewsRadio for what has got to be at least the third time.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: June 01, 2010, 09:25:06 AM »
Spider-Man: The Animated Series (1994) - 7.5/10 - While I was trudging through the never-ending hell that is completing Resonance of Fate, I decided to throw on this show as background working through the entire series.  Overall, eh it's decent.  The show had an unfortunate habit of using stories from 60s-70s era Spider-Man, so there could be an awful lot of goofiness in the writing.  Unlike its successors, though, this show went on long enough to give characters time and space to develop and allow some interesting stories to form.  The show has an outstanding vocal cast, though Peter Parker's has a tendency to go into full-on "Speed Racer" mode with internal monologues that never seem to pause for more than a half of a second.  Where this show got hit hard, though, was with the censors, where this show was notorious for just head-scratching lunacy (example: one standards return the team got said that when Spider-Man lands on a rooftop, he's not allowed to disturb any nearby pigeons) that really toned down what they were allowed to do.  Still, despite the sometimes goofy writing; sometimes hideously bad episodes; at times laughably bad animation; constant flash-backing; and the looming threat of censorship, there are some really entertaining episodes here.  In fact, "Turning Point" (the Season 3 Finale) still holds up fantastically as one of the best Spider-Man episodes ever made across all series.  That's kind of the problem, though: the series peaked early with Seasons 2 and 3, and it never reached those heights again.  On the bright side, in general this show did excellent cross-overs between Spidey and multiple other Marvel properties that just could not be done these days due to legal issues.  Overall, I'd say the show's held up better than X-Men has and can be genuinely fun to watch, but it doesn't quite rise to the heights of Spectacular Spider-Man.  A pity that show was assassinated by Disney, because I would have liked to see where it could have gone with 65 episodes to work with like the 90s series.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: June 01, 2010, 05:27:17 PM »
i used to love that Spiderman show, but i watch it nowadays and the animation is soooo bad, the plots and setups are still pretty good though. The thing is though is that I remember thinking about how the animation was much better than previous incarnations when I was a kid. Same thing with X-men too. The new series have been out, but i have not been able to enjoy their plot lines.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #459 on: June 01, 2010, 05:41:51 PM »
Spider-Man has aged a lot better than X-Mn has, and I still consider it my favorite incarnation of the character (by far better than the movies, and I won't get into how much I hate the "Ultimate" universe and what they did to Venom in it). I wish it would be released on DVD, but licensing issues may be a problem (Disney owns the rights to the Fox series, but Sony currently has the TV rights; things might be a little easier now that Disney owns Marvel since now that means any deal would only require two companies rather than three to reach a deal).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: June 02, 2010, 02:11:23 PM »
I've recently started watching season 1 of X-Files.  First time seeing the show since it originally aired but I remember really liking it as a kid.

I'm about 8 episodes in and I gotta ask--when's it get good?   :-\
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #461 on: June 02, 2010, 02:41:24 PM »
I recently watched the whole series via Netflix, Vudu.

The short answer is: it never really does. The show is VERY hit or miss from episode to episode. Once the writers find their core mythology (the Black Oil), which is relatively late in the show, it gets a little better, but it still has a lot of bad episodes.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #462 on: June 02, 2010, 02:53:13 PM »
How do you feel about Fringe?

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #463 on: June 02, 2010, 03:32:26 PM »
Never seen it, though I do keep meaning to put the first season on the queu.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: June 02, 2010, 03:43:14 PM »
I think The X-files holds up if you watch it for the monster of the week episodes, the mythology episodes aren't nearly as strong.

Fringe starts out pretty dry but improves as it goes on. Season 2 is better than Season 1.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #465 on: June 02, 2010, 03:53:18 PM »
Never seen it, though I do keep meaning to put the first season on the queu.

Halbred: click here

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #466 on: June 02, 2010, 04:01:23 PM »
I think The X-files holds up if you watch it for the monster of the week episodes, the mythology episodes aren't nearly as strong.

Fringe starts out pretty dry but improves as it goes on. Season 2 is better than Season 1.

I would hope so.  I've been watching Season 1 off and on for a few months now, and so far (my best friend and I just finished the first season) it's nothing special but it's serviceable.  In fact, we've had most of our enjoyment mocking several goofy aspects of it (the wondrous FBI database that can find exactly what you're looking for no matter how vague the search term, the special effects, the cow, etc.).

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: June 02, 2010, 08:20:44 PM »
broodwars, have you spotted an Observer in each episode?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #468 on: June 02, 2010, 08:27:12 PM »
broodwars, have you spotted an Observer in each episode?

Not in each episode, no.  It's not like it's a series I've been hardcore watching.  My best friend just Netflixes the show and brings over a disc like once every 3-4 weeks or so, so I just casually watch it every once in a while.

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #469 on: June 04, 2010, 12:30:57 PM »
I've started rewatching X-Files too, and yeah, the show hasn't aged too well. I did love it as a kid, though, which seems weird to me now, given how dry and depressing the show seems to be most of the time. I'll keep watching though because I do remember the series getting better after Season 1.

insanolord, I like NewsRadio too, especially Stephen Root, but best live-action TV comedy of all time is a bit of a stretch IMO...

« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 12:32:44 PM by NWR_Grant »
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: June 04, 2010, 12:37:38 PM »
I would put Newradio in my top 10 sitcoms of all time.

In no paticular order:
News Radio
Cheers
Seinfeld
I Love Lucy
Taxi
Wings
The Cosby Show
The Office
Plus two more.

I noticed that most of the shows come from NBC.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #471 on: June 04, 2010, 12:41:43 PM »

In no paticular order:
News Radio
Cheers
Seinfeld
I Love Lucy
Taxi
Wings
The Cosby Show
The Office
Plus two more.

Would Fraiser be one of the other comedies from that list?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: June 04, 2010, 12:54:23 PM »

In no paticular order:
News Radio
Cheers
Seinfeld
I Love Lucy
Taxi
Wings
The Cosby Show
The Office
Plus two more.

Did you ever watch Golden Girls?

RIP Rue "Blanch" McClanahan

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #473 on: June 04, 2010, 11:12:42 PM »
Clearly Betty White is a Time Lord or something.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #474 on: June 05, 2010, 02:29:54 AM »
Anybody remember the extremely short-lived, but very good Spider-Man series on MTV? One of the only good things that channel has ever produced. Very attractive CG models and great plots. It's a shame the first season ended on a GIGANTIC cliffhanger and was never renewed.