Author Topic: Rate the last TV show you've seen  (Read 1186141 times)

Offline Spinnzilla

• Hippie Kaiju
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Rate the last TV show you've seen
« Reply #400 on: April 11, 2010, 12:39:00 AM »
Just watched some of UFC 112.  Confirms my thoughts that Anderson Silva is a complete douche. 

Who wants heroine brownies?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: April 12, 2010, 04:18:41 AM »
ep 12 of Spartacus..... If you are not watching this show, then you are missing THE best new show on television this year.

Get past the 1st few episodes (since some don't like them) and get past the obvious comparisons to 300 (the stylized blood does pass) and stay for the character development, action, nudity ;) and story and you will just as ready for the season finale (which airs this week) as I am. Absolute craziness with how everything has developed up to this point. I can't wait to see how they bring all this to a close and set things up for season 2.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: April 12, 2010, 09:20:52 AM »
To go back to the OP - if you're not watching Breaking Bad, you should be.  Season three is AWESOME.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Armak88

• Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: April 12, 2010, 11:43:45 AM »
To go back to the OP - if you're not watching Breaking Bad, you should be.  Season three is AWESOME.

I just got into breaking bad and have caught up on the first two seasons and it is awesome. I have been a little underwhelmed by the third season though. The second season was so good, and this season is taking forever to have anything happen. I know that things are building up towards something crazy, but I can't handle episode after episode of ratcheting up the tension without anything else happening. I think that the first two seasons did a great job of having multiple plot threads going on at once. In this season it seems like all of the plot threads are converging, which is cool, but there isn't really anything else going on in the meantime. I'm still watching because I'm completely hooked, but after yesterday's episode I felt a little let down.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 12:46:09 PM by Armak88 »
"I'm not going to ban you yet just in case you really are a huge fan of bean bag chairs..." - Pale

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: April 12, 2010, 12:27:13 PM »
Breaking Bad is not up for Instant Watching, so it has to wait till I finish 6 Feet Under and I'm not sure how long that is gonna take.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #405 on: April 12, 2010, 12:57:38 PM »
6 Feet Under is THE most depressing show I've ever seen. Watched the whole series, too.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #406 on: April 12, 2010, 02:15:36 PM »
Tell me about it.... I'm at the last disc of s2 and while the show is intersting it is sort of a downer. Gay Dexter doesn't help either, but this show is the bookend on my death trilogy of Dead Like Me (Reapers taking souls just before they die), Pushing Daisies (Bringing those that just died back to life to help find who killed them) and now Six Feet Under (Undertakers restoring the bodies and putting them to final rest).

I plan on finishing the series, but it's few and far inbetween of getting season disc since I keep filling the space between the top and disc 5 with more recent movies. Is the 3rd season really good, should I keep watching till the end? Is there a light at the end of the tunnel?

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #407 on: April 12, 2010, 04:53:21 PM »
NO! No there's not! Not at all! The show just gets into this horrible downward spiral. There is a GLIMMER of hope in the last episode, but up until then, it's just shitty situations piled on shitty situations.

It doesn't have to do with death, but if you liked Dead Like Me and Pushing Daisies, you may well enjoy Wonder Falls, which was created by the same people (and it's very obvious).
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: April 12, 2010, 04:57:37 PM »
I liked Dead Like Me(but the movie sucked) and Pushing Daisies was alright(a little too Dr. Seuss for me), but if Wonder Falls is on Instant Watch, I might check it out.

edit: WF is not on IW, but I'll keep an eye out for it.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 05:00:43 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: April 12, 2010, 07:50:57 PM »
ep 12 of Spartacus..... If you are not watching this show, then you are missing THE best new show on television this year.

Get past the 1st few episodes (since some don't like them) and get past the obvious comparisons to 300 (the stylized blood does pass) and stay for the character development, action, nudity ;) and story and you will just as ready for the season finale (which airs this week) as I am. Absolute craziness with how everything has developed up to this point. I can't wait to see how they bring all this to a close and set things up for season 2.

Second.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: April 12, 2010, 08:35:10 PM »

Second.

I just want to add that everything that they have been building up to, all the plot points that have been created(starting in the 3rd or 4th episode), all the relationships that have made and all the characters that have been introduced all come to a point where all paths cross in the next episode.

This is a result of the entire story, including all the characters, dialog and plot twist for every episode being written out long before they even started filming. I guess it doesn't hurt that it has some historical reference to follow, but I just think it was an amazing build up from something that seemed so shallow to begin with to become what it is now.

I really hope they treat the second season the same if not better.

I'm really hoping that Batiatus and Sucretia make it to next season. Same with Ashur and Illithia. I guess I hoping that they don't end the story of the House of Batiatus just yet and save it for sometime next season instead.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: April 16, 2010, 03:22:12 PM »
Haven't done one of these in a while, since I've mostly been embroiled in Final Fantasy.  Thanks to the seemingly-endless amount of grinding, though, required to complete some of the harder post-game content, though, I did manage to slip in...

Sakura Wars TV - 3/10 - Playing the recently-released (in the US) Sakura Wars 5 got me in the mood to try and watch this again.  Man, if I hadn't only been half-watching this as a distraction from all that tedious FF XIII grinding, I don't know how I would have gotten through this show.  I tried it once before and just couldn't.  Anyway, this series is pretty much a perfect example of why I find it hard to watch most anime from before 2001 or so: it's bland, it's boring, it's not terribly well-drawn or animated, and the English voice acting is terrible.  What's bizarre about this is that this series was supposedly animated by Studio Madhouse, an studio well-known for its awesome animation.  The show's plot just goes through the motions, never being outright bad and never being terribly good.  The villain is comically bad, which is sad because he has an interesting backstory that could have gone interesting places if the writers gave a damn.  He's evil because...Trix are for kids.  Hell if I know.  I guess he just picked up the script one day, saw that he was penciled in as a Stock Anime Villain Trying to Plunge the World Into Darkness with the Powers of Evil (TM), and just decided to go for it.

The one good thing this show has going for it is its insanely-catchy opening theme (which I will now subject you to), produced in the days before the anime intro was so overwhelmingly J-pop singer-advertising as it is now.

Anyway, I've already devoted more words to this show than it deserves, but I will say this: I've started watching the movie that was produced shortly after this show concluded its run, and it's fairly enjoyable (and contains a few characters from Sakura Wars 5, if you're interested).  I'll have more to say about that in movie thread.

EDIT:  Actually, to the show's credit there is one other compliment I can give it: despite being a show about a bunch of teenage girls (and one gradeschooler) performing in plays and battling in steampunk robots, there's not a single goddamn exploitative scene in the show.  If this show were made nowadays, it would be covered in panty and breast shots, especially of the gradeschooler.  You can't imagine how refreshing it is (after all these years of watching anime) to see a show that has every opportunity to do so, but never sinks to that level.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 03:52:25 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #412 on: April 16, 2010, 04:12:27 PM »
I'm currently going through Season 1 of Big Bang Theory.

Sheldon is annoying, but the show is good overall.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: April 18, 2010, 03:42:26 AM »
Spartacus - Season Finale
Holy ****!!! 10/10

There was one scene that was straight out of a ghost horror movie. It was fuckin creepy, scary and OMG WTF crazy. You'll know the scene when you see it.

Season 2 couldn't come soon enough as I can't wait to see what happens next.

Best NEW show of 2010 confirmed.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: April 19, 2010, 12:22:34 PM »
I still prefer Rome to Spartacus, but Spartacus is enjoyable to watch, and I too cannot wait to see what happens next.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: April 19, 2010, 01:12:07 PM »
Looks like we're gonna find out what happened before season one before we find out what happens after it.

Starz is making a 6 episode Prequel to fill in for the delay since that actor that plays Spartacus was diagnosed with a form of cancer and production on s2 was halted so he could get it treated.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #416 on: April 19, 2010, 01:43:42 PM »
Finished season one of The Big Bang Theory.

Math, science, history, discovering the mystery that all started with a big bang (BANG!)/10

Season ended on a high note. Sheldon is less annoying now that I've gotten used to him. I can't figure out if Penny is hot or merely cute. Sheldon's sister IS hot, though. Yabba-dabba-doo hot. A little tall.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: May 15, 2010, 12:34:12 AM »
V is turning into power rangers
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: May 15, 2010, 12:40:48 AM »
V is turning into power rangers

how so?

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: May 15, 2010, 01:54:39 AM »
Anna is turning into a Rita sort of character and the resistance are like the Power Rangers. The original series was about fascism. Though this would be like a much better version of power rangers. If there were zords and giant monsters though...
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #420 on: May 15, 2010, 04:28:27 AM »
Smallville season 9 finale - sogood.gif

2 cliffhangers in one episode and a huge tease right in the beginning.
Looks ti be a nice set-up for the final season, so I hope the get it together and do it right.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #421 on: May 15, 2010, 08:00:54 PM »
Season Finale of Modern Family: WTF/10

There was more of the blonde in a bikini than Sofia Vergara. THERE IS NO JENOVA.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: May 15, 2010, 08:44:14 PM »

Looks ti be a nice set-up for the final season, so I hope the get it together and do it right.

It was an amazing season finale, so many possibilities for season 10.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #423 on: May 15, 2010, 09:43:58 PM »

who do you think was the old lady that went into Tess' room after she flatlined?
and what do you think it was that came ofter Ollie in the airvents? "Cloe, They're not Kandorians!"
he didn't really sound all that scared when he said that part.

Do you think That Clark pulls the dagger out and finally flys away, or that Martian Manhunter catches him since he has no superpowers with Blue Kryptonite near him?
Where do you think Aquaman and Impulse were? there were the only 2 missing members of JL I think.
How do you think Lois is gonna & Clark are gonna move forward now that Lois has finally figured out who The Blur is. You think Clark denies it or that Lois is now part of the secret squad and even more of a liability to Clark because she knows? Will they take her to Watch Tower? Will she find out Ollie is the Green Arrow and Chloe has been in on the secret almost the entire time Lois has been in the picture?

I think this whole season was solid. It's a shame they wasted season 5, 6 & 7 with so much nonsense. I also really hope that Lex(Rosenbaum) gets off his high horse and comes back for the final season so they can wrap this up properly.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: May 15, 2010, 11:19:49 PM »

who do you think was the old lady that went into Tess' room after she flatlined?
and what do you think it was that came ofter Ollie in the airvents? "Cloe, They're not Kandorians!"
he didn't really sound all that scared when he said that part.

Do you think That Clark pulls the dagger out and finally flys away, or that Martian Manhunter catches him since he has no superpowers with Blue Kryptonite near him?
Where do you think Aquaman and Impulse were? there were the only 2 missing members of JL I think.
How do you think Lois is gonna & Clark are gonna move forward now that Lois has finally figured out who The Blur is. You think Clark denies it or that Lois is now part of the secret squad and even more of a liability to Clark because she knows? Will they take her to Watch Tower? Will she find out Ollie is the Green Arrow and Chloe has been in on the secret almost the entire time Lois has been in the picture?

I think this whole season was solid. It's a shame they wasted season 5, 6 & 7 with so much nonsense. I also really hope that Lex(Rosenbaum) gets off his high horse and comes back for the final season so they can wrap this up properly.

Oh yes Seasons 5-7 were pretty disappointing, the creator's of the show leaving after season 7 was the best thing to happen to it. It is one of the few shows that improved tremendously later on its life.

I'm hoping the woman who is knitting is Granny Goodness, meaning Darkseid shows up in season 10 as the villain. Who knows what the things were that were attacking Green Arrow. What was especially awesome about this episode was the Clark "dream" about Metropolis in 2013 and receiving the superman uniform!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144